• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 KyosukeRS

KyosukeRS

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

The CD in both these skills is very big. I hear there are situations where these skills could save your life. But I really wonder if these skills are worth the investment even at Lvl 1 due to how rarely I'll probably be using them. If any of you have played SEA version, how important to your playstyle were these skills. Where/When will these skills really prove themselves in the once in a blue moon that I might be using them? Sometimes I feel like I should just ignore the entire water tree for Wizard. I would really appreciate it any inputs and opinions about these skills. *goes to take a long shower*

#2 OhGreat

OhGreat

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:48 AM

Frost Nova is not that useful. It just freezes anything within the radius area, but then since Wizard is a fire-based character, freezing monsters means nothing, unless you want to run away from mobs. Even in PVP event (such as Colosseum battle), frost nova doesn't help that much against other players, because it is going to be a kill-steal fiesta, and for 1 vs 1 battle, you better off with teleport/icewall/inflicting damage over time status from your DPS skills instead of freezing the opponent.

Icewall on the other hand is very handy. It won't have much impact during leveling days, but in level 50 dungeon it will be your save-my-ass asset when fighting against boss. What icewall does is protecting you for 10s duration from anything.. meaning that if there is anything unavoidable, or likely will kill you, then icewall is your life saver. In 50 dungeon, every boss has strong AOE attacks that will likely kill any player in party, unless if you can run away from the AOE radius, or protect yourself with icewall. Most Wiz i met in SEA leave this at level 1, but will definitely put it in their hotkey as a last minute saving skill.

Edited by OhGreat, 20 April 2013 - 05:50 AM.

#3 flysteps

flysteps

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:25 AM

Both Sorcerer and Wizard are well equipped with survivility skills.
Sorcerer can heal and Wizard has escape mechanism. You just need to plan it well.

If you feel like spamming a lot more, you can take it. After all, it is still depends on how is your usage. Despite of what people said Wiz is top priority as target from mob/boss, I still find lot of Wiz as last man standing, even Ranger has will die before them.

TBH on my Wizard when someone said what skill is should be upgraded and what not, I still maxed them. My suggestion is to leave the utility skills at level1 first. If you find yourself keep getting targetted or dying a lot, upgrade them for better CD.

#4 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Frost Nova has limited utility, but is definitely worth putting one point into. Freezing adds is helpful from time to time, but isn't required too often.
Ice Wall, on the other hand, is quite valuable.
It will save your hide time and time again in raids, and before that - in Hard Mode 5-ppl dungeons.

By the way, It is possible to max Ice Wall without sacrificing much of the damage potential, and considering the insane resurrection CD on SEA, it was a solid survivability investment for any raiding wizard. With maxed ice wall, for example, you could have it ready for EVERY Baphomet's scythe throw, and/or for every Curse of Doom (blue circle unavoidable AoE), which pretty much meant priests could ress someone else instead of you.

One more thing worth noting - grab a level 1 Teleport.
I lost count of how many times Teleporting away saved me from an incoming swarm of adds, an AoE and the like.

#5 Ethro

Ethro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:35 AM

well if u max out ice wall and get a teleport level 1 u wont get flame explosion cuz the other talents are kinda more worth takin <.<
i am talkin bout a build like this
http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0

u could get a level 4 ice wall and a level 1 flame explosion ( i dont like flame explo its kinda weak even if u combine it with seal explosion)

#6 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

well if u max out ice wall and get a teleport level 1 u wont get flame explosion cuz the other talents are kinda more worth takin <.<
i am talkin bout a build like this
http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0

u could get a level 4 ice wall and a level 1 flame explosion ( i dont like flame explo its kinda weak even if u combine it with seal explosion)

Inferno lvl 1 is a must.
No use leveling it past 1/5, but being able to instantly place Fire Flower DoT (Inferno uses the maximum level available to you) on a crowd is what makes Wizard AoE the most efficient out of any other class.

Also, Pyromaniac is completely overrated.
Think of it - at best, after spending 4 extra points, you'll be getting roughly 30 seconds of 10% Haste increase every 60-80 seconds or so.
That is, *if* the raid encounter allows you to stand perfectly still, spam firebolts and do nothing else. In reality, you will need to move, switch targets, AoE the adds, escape puddles of fire/ice/acid, sometimes at the same time. Add to the fact that pretty much the only skill that benefits from Pyromaniac haste boost is your basic Firebolt - because Inferno and fire flower are instant, Meteor is channeled, and casting Fireball without the insta-cast proc is killing your DPS and you get the picture - it's simply not worth spending 4 extra points considering the uptime it provides.

Flame Explosion, while a sub-par "ultimate" skill in general at least allows you to burst down some adds with Seal Explosion autocrit, stuns the target (and stunning let's say, Minotaur adds in Baphomet fight is quite handy) and (most importantly) allows you to spend points on Teleport and Ice Wall utility.

#7 frostsense

frostsense

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Sakray

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

In this game, 80% of the time the raids will allow you to stand still. Why? Because there's not really an often reason to move if you're positioned correctly. Pyromaniac is rated as such because you're going to need that Haste down the road for the Fire Ball procs, which only happen off of casting Fire Bolt. Flame Explosion I'd have to doubt in actually bursting down adds; you're already doing the same amount of damage casting 3 Fire Bolts before the entirety of the Flame Explosion animation goes off. Not to mention you're going to most likely miss one or two hits using Flame Explosion anyways, so you're already losing 10-20% of the 110% it says it does.

#8 flysteps

flysteps

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

If you are lucky enough, when you have been targetted in Bapho raid, you can run and teleport out.. I have no idea if it is just me or bugged but it does teleported me out of the range lol.. just maintain near the border

Also, you actually can use the teleport to bypass the wall.. I often use it to bypass the mob inside dungeon, and skipping directly to the boss.. There are certain wall that actually linked directly to the boss if you know where.. Also in Coloseum you can teleport into NPC area if you feel like running or chasing.. One of the skills that I actually use almost all the time either for fun or for its own benefit, aside from Frost Nova.. And since I am addicted to teleport I maxed it rather than Ice Wall. It is just personal preference.

Pretty neat that only Wizard can do.

#9 Reifnir

Reifnir

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:44 PM

In this game, 80% of the time the raids will allow you to stand still. Why? Because there's not really an often reason to move if you're positioned correctly. Pyromaniac is rated as such because you're going to need that Haste down the road for the Fire Ball procs, which only happen off of casting Fire Bolt. Flame Explosion I'd have to doubt in actually bursting down adds; you're already doing the same amount of damage casting 3 Fire Bolts before the entirety of the Flame Explosion animation goes off. Not to mention you're going to most likely miss one or two hits using Flame Explosion anyways, so you're already losing 10-20% of the 110% it says it does.

10% haste would be somewhat nice if it had a 100% uptime, but it doesn't, unfortunately.
And as for movement - save for tier 1 (bapho/arena) Normal Mode raids, you don't have the luxury of standing still all the time, unfortunately. Every second out of those 30 you spend NOT standing perfectly still, casting Firebolt means that Pyromaniac stacks do nothing to help you kill things faster. It's a waste of Wizard potential to sacrifice Ice Wall and Teleport utility for a low uptime, low efficiency haste buff.

#10 frostsense

frostsense

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Sakray

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

You shouldn't need to sacrifice Ice Wall and Teleport for the Haste utility. It should be coming standard as max skills. And the fact that you don't need to use those two skills frequently either isn't really a strong-point argument. And most Wizards probably don't know that the minor delay you take from finishing up the casting animation for Fire Bolt, you can use moving. You aren't really strung onto one point. Yes, it's a low efficiency skill, but what else would you spend it in exactly? It's a matter of damned if you do or damned if you don't for Wizards.

And as I reiterated, even though you aren't going to be standing still 100% of the time, it's not very often you will be moving in the first place. Positioning is always key, no matter what class you play.

Edited by frostsense, 23 April 2013 - 02:20 PM.

#11 Tamashiimizu

Tamashiimizu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:31 AM

Frost Nova lvl 1 it's fine.

I had Ice Wall lvl 1, but wished i have maxed it. It saved me a lot of times, and you really get desperate seeing that unavoidable skill coming at you when you Ice Wall is on cooldown. And on top of that, you can mix it with Water Seal Explosion, which heals 50% of your HP over 10 seconds. Despite being imune to all damage, you'll be healing half of your HP at the same time.

And Teleport depends on your taste. I used it a lot, but lvl 1 was still good for me.

About Pyromaniac, i maxed it. I just think that the more haste the better, since NOBODY is standing still 100% of the time also, we have to seize the oportunity to unleash our damage.

#12 Quzar

Quzar

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:31 PM

this is what i went with, and worked perfectly fine to my play style. http://www.ro2skills...dBrdqBdBeFqFjQ1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users