[GUIDE] Swordsman, general information. - Swordman - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[GUIDE] Swordsman, general information.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LordLDF

LordLDF

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

This is a basic guide to Swordsmen to try and give people a better idea of what they will be getting into.

The first thing you should decide on when making any character is which second job you will be making. For swordsman the options are Warrior or Knight. Also, the generic question of what your focus is going to be: PVP, PVE, or Raiding. Each has its own specific tweak to optimize the build.

If you want more DPS, Warrior seems the better choice. As for tankthere is much debate on which is better at tanking. Well, when considering which one makes a better tank, this is what you should think about Shield OR Defender Skill.

Shields give a solid defense boost and stats.
Looking at desperate apostle equipment (Epic craftable equipment not the best but good for an example.) The shield alone gives 500 defense, 56 Str, and 47 Vit. The set gives 1,555 defense.

Defender boosts your defense, evasion, and block by 30%.
Apostle set gives 823 defense + 30% (247) = 1070.

That's just to get you thinking a little bit. In all honesty, I think both are great tanks with the possibility to do an equal job. I know there are many more factors to consider but I just wanted people to know that Knights are not left in the dust because of the Defender skill. If someone wants to do a better, in-depth analysis of which class with equal gear gets the most damage reduction I would be delighted to read it!

Knights can go:

DPS: I don't know many who go down this path, but more power to you! Share your results. :)
Sample: This would be my guess? Its really strange to think about a pure DPS Knight, but its always nice to break the mold and try and find something new and fantastic!

Tank: I mean pure tanky tankyness!
Sample: If you really must sacrifice some DPS then go for Battle Orders or Aura Strike. Provoke and Mass Provoke are necessary at one but optional to increase.

Hybrid: I think most people go down this path and it's a good idea.
Sample: Same as tank. Balancing this is hard so just consider all the options.

Warrior can go:

DPS: A definite possibility, but I personally think hybrid would be better.
Sample: Just basically pump everything that helps you damage I suppose

Tank: Its like a tank that bites.
Sample: Same as a knight no real room for innovation.

Hybrid: What most people will do and probably the better choice in my opinion.
Sample: Same as Knight...

Swordsman Skills:

Head Crush: A damage over time (DoT) skill. You should use it regularly, as it helps with DPS and threat. I don't personally put any points into it, and keep it at 1 because 3% more DoT doesn't seem worth 4 skill points. Your choice though, I don't judge.
Magnum Break: You will get a much better AoE in both job changes, so keep it at 0.
Battle Manual: I keep it at 0, unless you're going full DPS.

Bash: Max it, you will be mashing it from now on.
Battle Orders: Max it, great buff! Some will say to leave it, as all the other sword types will get it, but this can backfire very quickly in my opinion.
Aura Strike: Max it as it will be part of your main DPS rotation. You can take some out if you're desperate for skill points but I would not recommend it.
Aura Blade: Unless you're going pure DPS leave it at 1 as it will be a pre-requisite for other skills.

Provoke: Can be argued to increase it beyond 1, as it is very handy for raiding and PVE in general.
Wide Provoke: Can be argued to increase it beyond 1, as it is very handy for raiding and PVE in general.
Aura Armor: Max it. A permanent buff you will always want on, unless you're a pure DPS.

As for stats, here are a few options and opinions:

41 Str, 41 Agi: A nice build trying to balance crits and raw attack.

40 Str, 40Agi, 8Vit: Another nice build, 1 str + 1 agi for 8 vit? Not a bad deal for a little extra HP.

50 Str, 29 Agi, 2 Vit: A nice build aiming for maximized attack power. My personal favorite. You need some DPS to maintain threat, don't forget

29 Str, 50 Agi, 2 Vit: A nice build focusing on crits.

29 Str, 2 Agi, 50 Vit: For those who want an extra 250 hp, if TheUraharaShop's stickied post is accurate.

36 Str, 36 Agi, 25 Vit: Very balanced build trying to get the most out of stat points.

These are just a few stat builds to give you some ideas, although I personally don't think Vit is worth putting points into but some may disagree and it's fine. For tank/pure tank builds out there the extra HP may look enticing, but don't forget you need some DPS to keep threat up. I think most people will agree that Wis is completely useless to put points into. Also, you should know that in this game, crits are GOD, and will see many people trying to hit about 40% crit rate at level 50.

As for Int in a swordsman build is possible because of battle manual skill, which increases damage by a certain percentage for ever int you have. I have never tested it but you should know its a possibility.

Main Skill rotations:

Bash x 3 > Aura Strike

You could start off with head crush, and it would be a good idea, but most things would die before it's really useful. If it's a boss, then definitely use it.

Tips:

When starting out, put points into Str as you'll see a bigger affect in the early game, save Agi stats for later in the game.

Max out your main combo if you're going DPS.

When deciding whether or not to get a certain skill, take its COOLDOWN and CAST TIME into consideration.

The skill simulator is not completely accurate. So double check cooldowns, cast times, and skill upgrade percentages before you invest in them.

If you are in a party and are not on tanking duty, take Aura Armor off lest you confuse the boss and cause chaos.

Anyone have anymore? I would love some! Also, if there is any other things that should go in here, do tell me please!

Full Knight Builds:

DPS:

Tank:

Hybrid:

Full Warrior Builds:

DPS:

Tank:

Hybrid:

Feel free to post and submit your own unique or cookie cutter builds to put in there! Variety is the spice of life after all. :) Also if I made a mistake in any of my "calculations" please tell me! I just used google and made guesses :P. Also go take a look at the stickied guides, they are very well made and most likely a lot more informative than mine :).

Edited by LordLDF, 20 April 2013 - 09:00 PM.

#2 RoronoaLance

RoronoaLance

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Odin(iRO2)

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:45 AM

Defender boosts your defense by 39%, evasion and block by 30%
it give 30 not 39 defense...

#3 LordLDF

LordLDF

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

Ah yes you're right, I should have followed my own advice and not trusted the simulator so much :P thank you for that catch!

#4 Insanely

Insanely

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:53 AM

If I'll be focusing on PvP, as a Swordsman, which of the 2 next jobs is more suitable for PvP?

If Warrior, which is more suitable in PvP : DPS, Tank or Off Tank?

If Knight, which is more suitable in PvP : DPS, Tank or Off Tank?

#5 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

If I'll be focusing on PvP, as a Swordsman, which of the 2 next jobs is more suitable for PvP?

If Warrior, which is more suitable in PvP : DPS, Tank or Off Tank?

If Knight, which is more suitable in PvP : DPS, Tank or Off Tank?

you don't build for dps tank or off tank if your main focus is pvp, you build for pvp. both classes have their merits in pvp, but knight has an easier time.

#6 raven0ak

raven0ak

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 June 2013 - 11:50 PM

few wrongs...battle manual is badass each int gives 0.4 increase into crit dmg (at max) ...which scales quite far actually towards end (it should be rough 100-200 int at 50 epics with cards and titles) and with decent str/agi build you be getting rather good crit buffer. more crits= more dmg= more aggro, higher crits=higher crit dmg=higher aggro.

magnum break as a knight if there is less than 4 targets magnum is superior aoe holder thanks to considerable high dmg and especially +50% extra aggro on it, def worth have minimum of 1...in end for solid knight tank build you have choice of max either grand cross (up to 10 mob hold solid) or magnum (up to 3 target next to impossible to loose aggro) far as I tested magnum does per use double the aggro grand cross does when both at L1, rotating magnum-GC-magnum-GC.. will hold extreme tight the pack of mobs you try hold and is favorable in boss adds if there is no offtank, cause simply high aggro and dmg. 2nd thing is you can move freely with magnum and with lil skill and moving you can easy hold more than 6 mobs at once by rotating target and landing spot

#7 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:26 AM

few wrongs...battle manual is badass each int gives 0.4 increase into crit dmg (at max) ...which scales quite far actually towards end (it should be rough 100-200 int at 50 epics with cards and titles) and with decent str/agi build you be getting rather good crit buffer. more crits= more dmg= more aggro, higher crits=higher crit dmg=higher aggro.

magnum break as a knight if there is less than 4 targets magnum is superior aoe holder thanks to considerable high dmg and especially +50% extra aggro on it, def worth have minimum of 1...in end for solid knight tank build you have choice of max either grand cross (up to 10 mob hold solid) or magnum (up to 3 target next to impossible to loose aggro) far as I tested magnum does per use double the aggro grand cross does when both at L1, rotating magnum-GC-magnum-GC.. will hold extreme tight the pack of mobs you try hold and is favorable in boss adds if there is no offtank, cause simply high aggro and dmg. 2nd thing is you can move freely with magnum and with lil skill and moving you can easy hold more than 6 mobs at once by rotating target and landing spot

nope. you will never use magnum break ever again(read, you shouldn't) once you get grand cross. i never lose aggro with just spamming grand cross when im aoe tanking mobs. i'll spam grand cross a few times then just tab target through and single dps them from there.

#8 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

I would say the optimal rotation is: start with - Headcrush > Bash > (2 Aura) Aura Strike, then do - Bash x 2 > (2 Aura) Aura Strike. I find you do more damage overall by leaving out the 3rd bash.

Edited by Bronx, 18 June 2013 - 01:22 PM.

#9 Hermand

Hermand

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

Yeah i do the same thing when tanking group of mobs. Magnum > GC > GC > Magnum and so on, specially if I have DPS parties that have COLO set and I only have Goblin Weapon. But I got used to it so yeah.

#10 AlexaWhite

AlexaWhite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:37 AM

Magnum rocks! it can crit, it can make HUGE CRITS with Battle Tactics. It have fast animation and does not lock your movement. It very helpfull whel you linking finishing attack on one mob and change target on other near. I like that skill. It helps me a lot.
And grand cross make full damage only till 6 targets. After, i think but not tested, damage caped and splits on more than 6 target with capped overal damage. There need more information and tests.

#11 Shinyusuke

Shinyusuke

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2064 posts
  • LocationItaly
  • Server:Odin

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:14 AM

Since i saw a lot of ml knight using aura blade i fwel the need to say that this topic is really accurate but it's referred to RO2 LOTR and not the actual RO2 AoV so some of these infos are wrong

Aura blade is conpletely useless the is no reason to put more than 1 point in it. It add 10% more pattack if maxes but to calculate the damage you have to divide pattack by more or less 15 + weapon damage so the real damage increase is 10% divided by 15 so the real increase in damage is 0,75% and doesn't affect the part of the weapon so it's even less on the final damage.

Head crush was so much nerfed that use it is equal to waste points.

Battle tactis is a must since new ml accessories give str and int in equal amount and allow you to make up to 400% critical damage every 3 hit since at high level the critical changes are around 30%

New shields have a low defence but have a damage mitigator that is way better than the raw defence so all the players that still use old raid shield trow them and buy an osiris one or better.

About stats:
Str is a waste due yo the new damage formula, you can pump it only if you need to never miss (pvp scenario)

Agi a double waste since knight and war dodge is so low a few stats points won't help you and the increase on critical rate is so low.

INT it's a must if you maxed battle tactis you can be a real pain in the *** in pvp pve scenario

Wis useless nothing much to say you will never see that bar empty

Vit this is a nice new entry since now vit give 12 hp and 1 def each point this means you can became a real tanky tank but to be really effective the only stats points won't be enough but will allow you to be really hard to kill right now you have at max level 325 stat points if all in vit you can get 325 more defence (as you were wearing a second shield) and 3900 more hp not so bad...also if i prefer the full int built

EDIT
i forgot that if you have aura armor you get +20% hp so 325 vit can be not only 3900 hp but 4680 hp :P

Edited by Shinyusuke, 02 October 2014 - 01:03 AM.

#12 rerp

rerp

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • Server:Freyja 9

Posted 01 October 2014 - 12:38 AM

While the data above are all accurate, it's sad to see it's that way, so broken, lol.

As for the bit on VIT, for PVP purposes, the choice is situational of course, but for PVE, I would agree INT is better in almost any possible case, as the increase in bulk is not as potent as the increase in DPS that would make the battle way shorter. More cost-efficient too, I believe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users