[RELEASE v1.1] - Lionel's Music Replacements for RO2 - Page 2 - Creative Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[RELEASE v1.1] - Lionel's Music Replacements for RO2

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:24 AM

Maybe we are thinking of different Culverts, but that doesn't sound anything like Culvert... Yours just sounds like an amorphous mass. X_x In your goal to "arrange" you are making things sound far from what they should... Instead of just stringing random songs together, maybe you should think about actually remixing them.

Edited by ODKN, 25 April 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#27 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:07 AM

Maybe we are thinking of different Culverts, but that doesn't sound anything like Culvert... Yours just sounds like an amorphous mass. X_x In your goal to "arrange" you are making things sound far from what they should... Instead of just stringing random songs together, maybe you should think about actually remixing them.

I don't plan to remix any of the songs since I do not have the time or ability to do so. To some degree my goal is to make a rehash of the soundtrack using GotW and RO1 songs. Culverts is actually based on RO1's culvert track here. In spirit of utilizing the songs I mentioned, for some zones I have strung together songs with the same ambience to them since for me, personally, the current songs are too short or repetitive. I am more or less creating a playlist for each area. That being said, if there is any specific part of a track you think is just out of place, it would be more constructive for me to know something like "Mjollnir mountain at 5:05 does not feel like a good fit".

#28 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:20 AM

I don't plan to remix any of the songs since I do not have the time or ability to do so. To some degree my goal is to make a rehash of the soundtrack using GotW and RO1 songs. Culverts is actually based on RO1's culvert track here. In spirit of utilizing the songs I mentioned, for some zones I have strung together songs with the same ambience to them since for me, personally, the current songs are too short or repetitive. I am more or less creating a playlist for each area. That being said, if there is any specific part of a track you think is just out of place, it would be more constructive for me to know something like "Mjollnir mountain at 5:05 does not feel like a good fit".

The thing is, the current Culvert track suits how Culvert looks. Music needs to suit both the atmosphere, and the surroundings, you know, and it needs to be catchy. :P The Ambiance between RO1 and RO2 is quite different.

Sadly, it's not really specific parts and is usually the whole thing. X_x But as they say, taste is acquired...

Edited by ODKN, 25 April 2013 - 07:30 AM.

#29 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

The thing is, the current Culvert track suits how Culvert looks. Music needs to suit both the atmosphere, and the surroundings, you know, and it needs to be catchy. :P The Ambiance between RO1 and RO2 is quite different.

Sadly, it's not really specific parts and is usually the whole thing. X_x But as they say, taste is acquired...

I've been thinking on this and to me I think the game's music sets up the atmosphere and dictates (to the degree its not transmitted through visual aspects) how you think an area's music should be. For example if I am in the Culverts for the first time and hear the original track, I have now associated that music with that area and any other music that is different from the original track feels out of place. I think the brain works on visual and audio stimuli to try to establish our emotions to a location, which is then used to describe the "atmosphere" of something. The great thing is people have a lot of different experiences which build their tastes for different things, so I can completely understand why one person may think one track is more fitting for an area than another. For some people what I'm doing is going to sound out of place (or maybe even sound like crap), for others (I hope) it creates a bit of nostalgia and a throw-back to RO1 and GotW.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I do appreciate your feedback, and I have seen a few people download the tracks and would love their feedback too both pre-game release and post-game release.

#30 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

I've been thinking on this and to me I think the game's music sets up the atmosphere and dictates (to the degree its not transmitted through visual aspects) how you think an area's music should be. For example if I am in the Culverts for the first time and hear the original track, I have now associated that music with that area and any other music that is different from the original track feels out of place. I think the brain works on visual and audio stimuli to try to establish our emotions to a location, which is then used to describe the "atmosphere" of something. The great thing is people have a lot of different experiences which build their tastes for different things, so I can completely understand why one person may think one track is more fitting for an area than another. For some people what I'm doing is going to sound out of place (or maybe even sound like crap), for others (I hope) it creates a bit of nostalgia and a throw-back to RO1 and GotW.

Sorry for the wall of text, but I do appreciate your feedback, and I have seen a few people download the tracks and would love their feedback too both pre-game release and post-game release.

The thing is, the current Culvert track makes me think of dripping water and a dank, wet place, and sounds about as retro as it looks. The underground music you tried to replace it with seems like it would work better for an old rock cave, that's inherently quite dark, with monsters popping out of the wall, with lots of twists, turns and no exit.

Of course, I never played RO1 so I have no idea what their Culvert looked like.

Edited by ODKN, 25 April 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#31 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

The thing is, the current Culvert track makes me think of dripping water and a dank, wet place, and sounds about as retro as it looks. The underground music you tried to replace it with seems like it would work better for an old rock cave, that's inherently quite dark, with monsters popping out of the wall, with lots of twists, turns and no exit.

Of course, I never played RO1 so I have no idea what their Culvert looked like.

That makes sense, I think for people who did play RO1, they are going to see the similarities in the track (at least the first 2 minutes or so before the original RO1 track fades in). I would totally give RO1 a go though if you haven't played it, it really was a unique game back in the day and I think its longevity could be attributed to its uniqueness and "quirks".

#32 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

That makes sense, I think for people who did play RO1, they are going to see the similarities in the track (at least the first 2 minutes or so before the original RO1 track fades in). I would totally give RO1 a go though if you haven't played it, it really was a unique game back in the day and I think its longevity could be attributed to its uniqueness and "quirks".

That's why you should look in to remixing the RO2 LOTS themes. :P Because RO1 had it's atmosphere, and GoTW had it's own as well.

#33 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:03 PM

That's why you should look in to remixing the RO2 LOTS themes. :P Because RO1 had it's atmosphere, and GoTW had it's own as well.

I lack two things to remix LotS tracks:
(1) Time
(2) Talent

#34 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Well, just keep it in mind if you ever do find yourself having spare time.

#35 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm on this guy's team. GotW music all the way!

#36 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I have added a track for Verta Delta on the first page. You can download the track here: Verta Delta

#37 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:56 PM

Alberta has been added, it should be a nice relaxing song while you're leveling in the Divided Plains. You can download it here.

#38 Morrigane

Morrigane

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 02:10 PM

Oh, I'll definitely will try this out after some Time giving RO2 BGM a Shot. ^^
I still have My favorite RO:1 BGMs in a Playlist and listen to them. <3

#39 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 09:41 PM

Today has been a busy day, I have added quite a few songs including:At this point I am getting dangerously close to completing the overworld themes. I think at this point I just have a few of the sub-areas like the forested areas in Mjollnir Mountain. I will be doing a little dungeon swaps, but I actually don't think those ones need much alteration since they won't required hours of your time. Your feedback is vital, so please tell me what you think of these swaps.

#40 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 02:34 PM

VERSION 1.0 COMPLETE!

I am finally done with the first version of the replacement BGM for RO2. These files will provide you with a lot more music than the original files. Please feel free to download the music from Mirror 1 or Mirror 2. Then simply unzip the file and replace the music in BGM_F with the music in the file. I have also added a backup folder so that if you wish to revert back to the original client's music, you can simply restore it using those files.

Please feel free to ask me any questions and enjoy!

#41 Gilgamezh

Gilgamezh

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

Awesome! Ty for this overhaul <3

#42 Azullama

Azullama

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 05:20 AM

:questionmark: So, I can replace every single background music, :questionmark: wouldn't it be wiped during updates back to the default bgm

#43 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:18 AM

:questionmark: So, I can replace every single background music, :questionmark: wouldn't it be wiped during updates back to the default bgm

Generally, no, unless you redownload the entire client. When updates are patched, rarely do they overwrite existing resources such as music files, especially in this case when they are in .mp3 format and directly accessible (no packaged) in the game folders. Once you replace the music, it should be good to go from then on out. I did include a backup of the original files with the download though in case you want to revert back to RO2's music intended to go with the game.

#44 Azullama

Azullama

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationPasadena, CA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

thanks. :p_hi:

#45 AmiiMii

AmiiMii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1537 posts
  • LocationWarpportal Forums (RO2)

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:59 PM

You have done well Kwiqsilvr, may the force be with you :3

#46 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

You have done well Kwiqsilvr, may the force be with you :3

Time for a good night's sleep before launch!

On a side note for those that have downloaded this and are going to use it, please provide me with feedback regarding the appropriateness of the music used and especially the volume balance among tracks used within zones. Volume adjustments are easy to make and will enhance the music set.

#47 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 11:06 AM

Just a minor update. The following can be used for the auction house and armory in Prontera. To add this music, download it here and past it into your BGM_F file, it is just the original Prontera theme for RO2, but at least now your auction house and armory won't be quiet. Make sure it is named Silence.mp3.

#48 breadcrmbs

breadcrmbs

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

this! this really is it! :D
thanks for this kwiqsilvr! the BGMs really suit my style :) i have a lot of fun playing because of this.

#49 kwiqsilvr

kwiqsilvr

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

You're welcome! I did notice that Culverts was not mapped correctly. But I will fix this very soon.

#50 FacelessRed

FacelessRed

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationLondon
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 06 May 2013 - 07:35 AM

Great work. thanks for this. The RO2 music was better in GOTW and some of the songs seemed to have been cut as well from the beta that I was seeing. Music makes ragnarok what is is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users