Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

I don't think I've ever really encountered people doubting if I'm female in MMOs. It's sorta weird. I hear it all the time but I never experience it.

I have had people tell me that I need to stop tanking because girls can't tank and they should go play a healer. Which I laugh at. DAMN I PROBABLY HAVE BEEN TANKING LONGER THAN YOU'VE PLAYED MMOs.

I can usually keep flirting to a minimum by making sure people know every early on that I'm a lesbian, and my girlfriend is better in bed than they could ever hope to be.

Individual experiences may vary. Void where prohibited.

WHAT!? I find it very refreshing to see women play classes that aren't the stereotype. Especially swordswomen!

Crazy that people still pigeon-hole girls into support roles. I can't even count how many times I've had my butt handed to me in games and irl by women.

Edited by Sacriel, 25 April 2013 - 01:07 AM.

#78 Owlsu

Owlsu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:20 AM

Judging by the fact about 90% of characters in the game were girls I assumed the player base was almost entirely female.

The again, this is the internet...

#79 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Well to be fair it irks me equally when your playing a game and one of the players is going ''HEY LOOK AT ME GUYS I'M A GIRL GAMER'' and then if somebody dares to critize them the white knights have a field day on them.

So much this. There is NO reason to flaunt, or even just casuallu mention your gender outside of you wanting attention/special treatment. I am all for girl gamers, and I understand that most don't do that, usually only being found out by talking on vent (at which point the e-stalking starts). I've been best friends and rivals with many girls who were just as good, if not better, as any guy, and I've seen absolutely terrible girls who fail at their class but are able to coast by due to the officers acting like beavis & butthead whenever she talks.

Male, female, who cares as long as you know your class role and play hard!

#80 KarilynKare

KarilynKare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

WHAT!? I find it very refreshing to see women play classes that aren't the stereotype. Especially swordswomen!

Not just a swordswoman, a Warrior. SPIN TO WIN.

One of my proudest moments in gaming was back when I played a Protection Warrior in World of Warcraft, and I was the main tank of one of the top raiding guilds on my server. I actually had the honor of witnessing a lengthy argument on trade channel between people over whether me or the rival guild's main tank was the best tank on the server. The argument generally was favoring me.

Posted Image

I actually find it amusing that the character screen still has the class listed as Swordsman when you have a female character. I used to play a Blacksmith in RO1.

#81 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:waiting for Ro2 launch

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Hello fellow "Lady-Gamers" ^-^ (I say Lady, because I am a Lady, and too old to be a girl-gamer T-T)

I am one of your kind^^ 26years old female here. Nice to see there are a lot of female gamers here too. Like in old Ragnarok (I was there for the headgears <3)
I am here for the looks as well, hopefully they will implent lots and lots of headgears. And shiny other things *-*
I like plaing mmos, and console rpgs. And I also like the healer role, but I like the magig dps role way better ^^
Hope we see us iG. Let's be proud to be a Girl, Lady, Shemale, whatever xD And let's kick some guys-butts for fun ;)

In every game I bring my BF along (somebody need to heal me *evil laugh*) Just kidding....

See you at May 1st! Lets have some fun Ladys.
Posted Image

#82 Thaiku

Thaiku

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • LocationCanary Islands
  • Server:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm male and this is my number: 555-235-7688 hehehe, just a joke ;)
I really like grils/womans breaking the stupid topic: "games are for guys".
See you all ingame!

#83 SaphiraRaworth

SaphiraRaworth

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBridgeview, IL
  • Server:RO2 - Odin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:33 AM

Hello fellow "Lady-Gamers" ^-^ (I say Lady, because I am a Lady, and too old to be a girl-gamer T-T)

I am one of your kind^^ 26years old female here. Nice to see there are a lot of female gamers here too. Like in old Ragnarok (I was there for the headgears <3)
I am here for the looks as well, hopefully they will implent lots and lots of headgears. And shiny other things *-*
I like plaing mmos, and console rpgs. And I also like the healer role, but I like the magig dps role way better ^^
Hope we see us iG. Let's be proud to be a Girl, Lady, Shemale, whatever xD And let's kick some guys-butts for fun ;)

In every game I bring my BF along (somebody need to heal me *evil laugh*) Just kidding....

See you at May 1st! Lets have some fun Ladys.
Posted Image

SAKJDHSKDJGH GRELL. Gender-bending since the beginning of time? How old IS Grell?

#84 Sabishii1985

Sabishii1985

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

It's always nice to see so many female gamers around! :D I'm 27 years old now and I'm female as well. When I was a kid, there were no gamer-girls around at all. It was kind of sad... So I really love where this is going now. :D Games are for everyone. If a game is fun: Play it! ^_^

#85 Zeniachan

Zeniachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 389 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

I'm technically a guy IRL, but I'm more feminine than most guys. It's been kind of a gradual thing, discovering my actual gender identity, I even considered going trans IRL at one point...but I decided that'd be a little too much. I've played girl characters on online games since I started RO1, and I guess that's what started me on that journey... I still used to be more masculine back then, but eventually I realized, being a kawaii girly weeaboo kinda suits me. xP

Girl gamers are awesome and a lot of fun to play with, but so are guys ;P we're all gamers here!

#86 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

I've found that RO always has a bigger female population compared to the other MMOs I've played. Now the hard part is figuring out whether female priest you're partying with is actually a girl or a guy.

In RO2 it's going to be a guy playing hands, down. All the males will be girls and vice versa.

#87 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

It's always nice to see so many female gamers around! :D I'm 27 years old now and I'm female as well. When I was a kid, there were no gamer-girls around at all. It was kind of sad... So I really love where this is going now. :D Games are for everyone. If a game is fun: Play it! ^_^

Oh they were there, in the shadows of their older borthers. Somehow girl gamers now have become super cute though. I thank Japan.

#88 Tsujiko

Tsujiko

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Server:waiting for Ro2 launch

SAKJDHSKDJGH GRELL. Gender-bending since the beginning of time? How old IS Grell?

I guess.... Nobody knows xD Like a real Lady, hiding the true age xD
Like me, most of the time, I just meet all those young girls iG and then I feel old T-T well, that's how it is.

I just want to have fun IG and meet a bunch of nice people. And maybe girls arounf my age to chat with ^^
Posted Imageand dance... DANCE all the day xD

#89 Yuuhiko

Yuuhiko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Server:RO2 Odin

Does.. it even matter what gender we are? We're all gamers here to play a fun game.. so gender shouldn't mean anything. :hmm:

#90 Lunabay

Lunabay

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:03 AM

Hey, I'm a girl gamer, 26, been playing since I was 4. Sometimes when others find out I'm a girl it ruins my games, so I usually don't bother.

RO2 2:
Me: "Middle's missing."
2-3 Dudes: "A girl?!"
Then our team loses because focus is lost. :( I have to pretend to be a 12 year old boy if I want to win. T_T

In Battlefield BC2 ( :p_hi: ) the few times I have come across girl gamers, my eyes dilate and I go into "knife-mode". I have to get their tag so I can remember them. >:D

Posted Image

My hubby and I play together a lot. We are both joining RO2 for the first time from many years of RO1. Nice to meet you all.

#91 Astrariel

Astrariel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

I have a picture of myself in diapers as a baby, with a nintendo controller in my hand XD I was born holding a controller and pwning super mario bros. Practically~

I have a picture some what like that too. My parents were super mature and spent money they got for my baby shower on an NES. Still have it.

#92 RailChild

RailChild

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Sorry, but I find this as just a stereotype. There are guy gamers that aren't phased by the opposite sex playing online games, the males you run into that question if you're a female or try and hit on you are a small amount.

Just remember, a majority of us still go out, have girlfriends, can socialize without trying to hit on you, we don't care if you're a female / cat / toddler or 60 year old male. Just, some of my thoughts.

#93 Chireiyu

Chireiyu

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

I'm honestly more of a casual gamer myself. I played RO1 for the headgears and I'm mostly going to do the same thing in RO2 I bet. I really hope to get better acquainted with how to properly play my class though so I can be of some use. ;w; I really don't care what gender you are in game. Honestly, I tend to just assume you're the gender your character is until proven otherwise. If you're a good player, you're a good player. Gender shouldn't be an issue. .-.

#94 Lunabay

Lunabay

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

Sorry, but I find this as just a stereotype. There are guy gamers that aren't phased by the opposite sex playing online games, the males you run into that question if you're a female or try and hit on you are a small amount.

Just remember, a majority of us still go out, have girlfriends, can socialize without trying to hit on you, we don't care if you're a female / cat / toddler or 60 year old male. Just, some of my thoughts.

Your opinion and my reality are two very different things. ^_^;; But I do think it happens mostly in competitive gaming. FPS's and MOBA's are the worst but I like to play them. MMO's, not so much. From my personal experience, what you are describing is the minority... Not trying to pick a fight, I know this is not that environment. RO is a welcoming place compared to most.

#95 Astrariel

Astrariel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:17 AM

You might be one of the guys able to realize that there are actually just as many women in the gaming community as men. However, it is a HUGE problem and women are harassed quite often. As someone who has been around working in the community for around 5 years, even as a job, I use to work for another gaming company. It's a problem.. and men are not treated like women are.

Yeah, it might not be you or the guy next to you. But it happens and it get's really old. Especially if you're a girl who has been gaming for over 20 years. Nothing but eye rolls happen when the sexist crap comes out.

Also, most women don't want to be treated special and sometimes yeah there are girls out there who want attention.. but guess what everyone wants attention.. just some have a more vibrant way of asking for it.

Personally, I am not shy about the fact I am female because I am indeed a girl. Ain't nothing I can do about it. No reason to hide it, lie about it, be ashamed of it.

#96 RailChild

RailChild

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • LocationGold Coast, Australia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:18 AM

Your opinion and my reality are two very different things. ^_^;; But I do think it happens mostly in competitive gaming. FPS's and MOBA's are the worst but I like to play them. MMO's, not so much. From my personal experience, what you are describing is the minority... Not trying to pick a fight, I know this is not that environment. RO is a welcoming place compared to most.

Well then I can't say much, I'm not looking for a fight, I was just voicing my opinion, I completely understand what you're trying to say.

I guess I just wanted to give some clarity on some things. All I can say is, sorry for the LARGER percentage of gamer guys.

#97 Sacriel

Sacriel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 334 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:22 AM

Serious business

Meanwhile... in the Guy Power thread...

Posted Image

#98 KarilynKare

KarilynKare

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 69 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:23 AM

Yeah, it might not be you or the guy next to you. But it happens and it get's really old. Especially if you're a girl who has been gaming for over 20 years. Nothing but eye rolls happen when the sexist crap comes out.

Maybe I'm relatively alone in this, but I have encountered virtually no sexism in gaming for years.

From the moment I open my mouth and people realize I'm a girl, I put my foot down and let them know I'm not going to take any of their bullcrap. I've never had a problem since I started doing that.

Edited by KarilynKare, 25 April 2013 - 02:23 AM.

#99 SaphiraRaworth

SaphiraRaworth

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 275 posts
  • LocationBridgeview, IL
  • Server:RO2 - Odin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:25 AM

So... About this thread...

I call this serious girl power

#100 Astrariel

Astrariel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:28 AM

Maybe I'm relatively alone in this, but I have encountered virtually no sexism in gaming for years.

From the moment I open my mouth and people realize I'm a girl, I put my foot down and let them know I'm not going to take any of their bullcrap. I've never had a problem since I started doing that.

I have seen it a few times but I think it depends on the genre of game you're playing. Xbox Live is VERY bad and known for it, even if it's mainly trolling. It hasn't happened to me a lot.. but it has and I just ignore it. But there a women out there unable to handle it or know how to react. I have also had to clean up a lot of forum posts back from when I was working as a forum moderator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users