The Warlock test is incredibly easy: Tips on how to pass - Mage Class - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

The Warlock test is incredibly easy: Tips on how to pass

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:26 PM

i keep seeing posts on here and hearing people in game say how incredibly difficult this test is. Its really isnt. I passed it in 1 try with 5 seconds to spare (only because my gems bugged out and disappeared so i had to jupitel thunder everything to death)

the only part of this test thats really bad is having to farm the quest items off a very annoying map at a very very very low drop rate (took me 3 hours to get both). It helps to bring someone along with you that has access to the new world, to help you clear the annoying pinguic's that seem to mob up and hit you at an incredible attack speed

how did i do it? easy!

-stock up healing items and sp regen items past your capacity. you dont even have time to regen so dont even waste your precious cap trying to meet the games stupid 49% mark. Green Ales are a must.

-Increased HP potions. These give you a massive amount of leeway in this quest to be able to tank mobs that are beyond your capability

-Hotkey the cast stones on your bar before you go into the room

-when you are ported into the quest room, you may become disoriented and frantic. Take a breath, gain perspective on your surroundings and immediately cast storm gust. Unleash chain lightning on the mobs and then storm gust again.

-Make sure to keep your health up enough to withstand a monster skill attack or 2.

-The water elementals do the most dmg so KILL THEM FIRST!!!! that annoying ghost looking lady was hitting me like a freight train. a couple jupitel thunders put her in her place though

-STORM GUST IS YOUR BEST FRIEND! level 1 storm gust will keep the room under your control instead of the room controlling you. Make sure to keep the mobs frozen the entire time, then you wont have to heal as much

this test is easy. dont let people discourage you or work you up into a panic about having to do it. The only people that think this test is hard are people that probably shouldnt be playing wizards in the first place (somehow didnt learn2play along the way), or people that like to have things handed to them and cant be bothered to put a lil effort into surviving

#2 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 25 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Frost Nova10 spam works just as good, since that literally has no cast time compared to Storm Gust. It can be spammed and the monsters won't get broken out of Frozen status. Even the monster attribute monsters will get Frozen, because that's how Renewal's Frozen resistance works nowadays. Marse or Swordfish card can help a ton with the test for reducing incoming Waterball damage though, since that does do the most damage as killedbytofu mentions.

Green Ales are not a must if you are equipped with water reduction gears. Energy Coat is your friend in this regard. With just the Swordfish card I was able to do this part of the test and get by after using only 25 fat White Potions.

#3 Karusan

Karusan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:22 PM

The test isn't as difficult as it's made out to be (the collection is far more annoying), but calling it easy is a stretch. If you don't have immune, phen, water resistance, and stocked to the brim with meds, you're going to have a hard time. If you don't have frost nova, it's pretty difficult.

I was pretty well-geared, and am a good player with Wiz, but I had a hard time passing it. It took me about 3 tries to beat it, and I had good items. If an elemental gets off a single waterball, you're done.

#4 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts

Posted 27 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

If you don't have immune, phen, water resistance, and stocked to the brim with meds, you're going to have a hard time.

i dont have any of those things and i beat it in 1 try without even breaking a sweat

pecopeco orleans gown
NO accessories (im poor)
variant shoes
harpy carded naught sieger garment
witch hat + alarm mask (wouldve just used slims if i hadnt had the hat)
staff of destruction

66 vit 95 int 80 dex

popped increased HP potion before going in and that was about it. any warlock that doesnt stack hp gear is a fool. Mid TI will obliterate you if you dont have a bare minimum of 8k hp to survive 1 shot attacks.

Like i said. this class isnt for everybody. People that go in unprepared or havnt learned their class well enough yet will find this test to be hard. There is absolutely no reason that any warlock should not have frost nova maxed out. its one of our prime survival spells

Edited by killedbytofu, 27 April 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#5 Joatmon

Joatmon

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1303 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:50 AM

You have that gear and you're poor?...

#6 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 04:15 PM

You honestly only really need a Phen, an armor with a Swordfish card in it, and a bunch of fat White Potions to pass that part of the test. It's really not that bad. A good player who knows how to play a High Wizard wouldn't fail it the first time. A baby Wizard might have trouble though due to the lower Stats, but it's only slightly tougher if you have the proper water reduction gears. None of the other monsters matter so long as you can get them Frozen in time before they deal any noticeable damage. It's just the Waterball you should be afraid of and that's resolved with a Swordfish carded armor.

#7 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts
  • Server:Chaos, when it's up

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

i dont have any of those things and i beat it in 1 try without even breaking a sweat

pecopeco orleans gown
NO accessories (im poor)
variant shoes
harpy carded naught sieger garment
witch hat + alarm mask (wouldve just used slims if i hadnt had the hat)
staff of destruction

66 vit 95 int 80 dex

popped increased HP potion before going in and that was about it. any warlock that doesnt stack hp gear is a fool. Mid TI will obliterate you if you dont have a bare minimum of 8k hp to survive 1 shot attacks.

Like i said. this class isnt for everybody. People that go in unprepared or havnt learned their class well enough yet will find this test to be hard. There is absolutely no reason that any warlock should not have frost nova maxed out. its one of our prime survival spells

If you went in with no accessories and had a Pecopeco Orlean's Gown and Variant Shoes, then it wasn't because you were poor - it was because you never picked up any super-cheap Spiritual Rings, a no-brainer 2 Int and 1 Dex for any character who doesn't have dedicated wizzie accessories yet. But brute-forcing it by having so much HP that mob damage doesn't matter is only one way to cheese the test; Frost Nova 5+ is, as mentioned, by far the easiest way. Taking advantage of the room layout is another since monsters can't see you around corners, though it might take some effort to survive the first wave and get to a corner before wave 2 spawns.

That said, knowing what to do before going in makes a world of difference. To the up-and-coming WLs out there, pick a plan that suits your gear and build and you'll be fine! Even if you fail it the first time (like I did! Glass cannon style 99 int, 93? dex, 40 vit, no phen/orlean/water resist/HP gear... derp), don't take what these guys say too seriously - it's how you adapt to it and prepare yourself for your next attempt that demonstrates your wizzie know-how.

---

That aside, though, FN eats up 10 skill points. I prefer SG for most of my freezing needs and usually only FN while soloing if I pick it up at all. To any prospective wizzies out there, FN is a huge help when you need it, but it's hardly mandatory. It'll be a guaranteed solid point investment, but if you can't fit it in, chances are it won't make or break your build.

Also as an aside, I really don't like Staff of Destruction for this test since it uses up your Mystic Amps with autocast JTs; unless you can one-shot without Amps, you'll want them to apply to your Earth Strain/Crimson Rock/Chain Lightning stones, all of which are great follow-ups to freezing everything with SG or FN (I favor ES myself), and some sort of shield is also always handy if you use mostly one-handed staves.

#8 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:36 PM

If you went in with no accessories and had a Pecopeco Orlean's Gown and Variant Shoes, then it wasn't because you were poor - it was because you never picked up any super-cheap Spiritual Rings, a no-brainer 2 Int and 1 Dex for any character who doesn't have dedicated wizzie accessories yet. But brute-forcing it by having so much HP that mob damage doesn't matter is only one way to cheese the test; Frost Nova 5+ is, as mentioned, by far the easiest way. Taking advantage of the room layout is another since monsters can't see you around corners, though it might take some effort to survive the first wave and get to a corner before wave 2 spawns.

That said, knowing what to do before going in makes a world of difference. To the up-and-coming WLs out there, pick a plan that suits your gear and build and you'll be fine! Even if you fail it the first time (like I did! Glass cannon style 99 int, 93? dex, 40 vit, no phen/orlean/water resist/HP gear... derp), don't take what these guys say too seriously - it's how you adapt to it and prepare yourself for your next attempt that demonstrates your wizzie know-how.

---

That aside, though, FN eats up 10 skill points. I prefer SG for most of my freezing needs and usually only FN while soloing if I pick it up at all. To any prospective wizzies out there, FN is a huge help when you need it, but it's hardly mandatory. It'll be a guaranteed solid point investment, but if you can't fit it in, chances are it won't make or break your build.

Also as an aside, I really don't like Staff of Destruction for this test since it uses up your Mystic Amps with autocast JTs; unless you can one-shot without Amps, you'll want them to apply to your Earth Strain/Crimson Rock/Chain Lightning stones, all of which are great follow-ups to freezing everything with SG or FN (I favor ES myself), and some sort of shield is also always handy if you use mostly one-handed staves.

i would love to know where youre putting 70 points into that you cant afford 10 for frost nova. the wizard tree is garbo. meteor misses half the targets and isnt worth putting more then the 1 point prereq since warlocks get better fire spells, sg and LOV are your only useful leveling tools, but LOV becomes obsolete once you get crimson rock, jackfrost, or chain lightning (or even spellbook comet). vulcan is a for fun spell that you dont even need. waterball is 100% useless. jupital doesnt even need to be maxed to use. aside from soul drain and mystic amp, there isnt anything else that would warrant missing your best survival spell.

the only downside to nova is the massive SP cost which is why SG lvl 1 is better in alot of situations.

#9 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Frost Nova doesn't have a massive SP cost...

#10 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:51 AM

i would love to know where youre putting 70 points into that you cant afford 10 for frost nova. the wizard tree is garbo. meteor misses half the targets and isnt worth putting more then the 1 point prereq since warlocks get better fire spells, sg and LOV are your only useful leveling tools, but LOV becomes obsolete once you get crimson rock, jackfrost, or chain lightning (or even spellbook comet). vulcan is a for fun spell that you dont even need. waterball is 100% useless. jupital doesnt even need to be maxed to use. aside from soul drain and mystic amp, there isnt anything else that would warrant missing your best survival spell.

the only downside to nova is the massive SP cost which is why SG lvl 1 is better in alot of situations.

If you're spamming FN everywhere then, yeah, the drain on your SP can be rough, but usually if I go with SG1 it's because a monster is either sitting out of the range of FN, I need to push monsters back for some reason, or the monster has high frozen status resist and I want multiple attempts at freezing it (without having to tank it).

Here's my skeleton HWiz build...
2 Sightrasher
1 Meteor (you must have bad luck with it if you miss half your targets...)
5 JT
1 LoV (Lv10 has its situational uses, as does MS even as a WL, but I agree it's not generally worth it to keep either at 10)
10 SG
3 Earth Spike
5 Quagmire (I don't know about you but I maxed this on 3 of my 4 WLs and I absolutely love it with SW, FW, HD spam, general support, pulling)
5 HD (maxed on two of my WLs and 3 of my sorcs. Near instant cast with lots of cast reducs on, virtually no cooldown. Used as a finisher in PVM or when ES is on cool and you have something else on spellbook that you don't want to use everywhere like Comet)
10 Soul Drain
10 Mystic Amp

That's 52 points. 48 if you left HD at 1.

Keeping 10 MS/LoV, that's already one more point than a max HDer has available to him, but barring that, the remaining 17 points can be distributed over...

5 pts - 5 Water Ball - not worth it unless maxed and very situational. However, you can cast a second spell during WB's animation (including another WB or mystic amp o.o ) making the long animation kinda irrelevant, and I personally love it when I can use it.
up to 5 pts - 10 JT - I usually only end up with 5, but with the pushback and 3 Radius it's great for a fast caster.
5 pts - 5 Napalm Vulcan - I am told this is a pretty good single frozen monster killer even compared to JT, but much faster if you don't have massive cast reduction. Haven't yet tested myself, but will at some point... I was also told this can spread status effects, but I've never seen that myself so I can't confirm
6 pts - 1 Stave Crasher/5 Grav Field - Nothing I care about but it's popped up before...
3 pts - 1 Ice Wall/1 Sense/1 Ganbentein - see above
up to 10 pts - 10 Ice Wall - Would be nice if we could use it anywhere. Still hoping for a fix...
up to 10 pts - 10 Frost Nova - I've used it everywhere between 4 and 10 with decent results. Short range but fast cast, the WL battle test cheese skill we know and love.
up to 10 pts - 10 Fire Pillar - No one ever seems to use this, though.
up to 8 pts - 10 Sightrasher (from level 2) - Seems useless and I never see it used.

... or mage skills (but why, whyyyy unless you're going full support and need both FW and SW on top of your pre-reqs?).

FN might be the most flexible of those spells, but that hardly means a HWiz has to take it. I usually default to SG1 for the pushback, anyway, especially since monsters after changing to WL are often highly resistant to frozen status and, later, usually more or less untankable without eating supplies... There's too many decent ways to spend 17-21 "extra" points for FN to be an absolute requirement.

#11 Yomihime

Yomihime

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 638 posts
  • LocationWandering aimlessly in Ragnarok universe
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

-stock up healing items and sp regen items past your capacity. you dont even have time to regen so dont even waste your precious cap trying to meet the games stupid 49% mark. Green Ales are a must.

-Increased HP potions. These give you a massive amount of leeway in this quest to be able to tank mobs that are beyond your capability

-Hotkey the cast stones on your bar before you go into the room

-when you are ported into the quest room, you may become disoriented and frantic. Take a breath, gain perspective on your surroundings and immediately cast storm gust. Unleash chain lightning on the mobs and then storm gust again.

-Make sure to keep your health up enough to withstand a monster skill attack or 2.

-The water elementals do the most dmg so KILL THEM FIRST!!!! that annoying ghost looking lady was hitting me like a freight train. a couple jupitel thunders put her in her place though

-STORM GUST IS YOUR BEST FRIEND! level 1 storm gust will keep the room under your control instead of the room controlling you. Make sure to keep the mobs frozen the entire time, then you wont have to heal as much

Personally, I wouldn't say it's incredibly easy. This test is *not so hard* anymore once you know what to do. I think I passed the test on my fourth attempt :P

-White slims will do, they weigh less too!

-Yep, although I remember that I didn't use increase HP pot on my last attempt.

-Absolutely, make sure to memorize the hotkeys for the stones because they will be wasted once you "use" them.

-Immediately SG -> CL the aquas -> CR the rest (don't use too many CR stones because you will need them to kill the Hollow Stone at the end). Oh and don't use too many CL stones because you might be tempted to use them against frozen mobs, you will need them for 2nd round aquas.

-No comment, everyone should know about this already.

-See my 4th comment.

-I only use SG as soon as I enter the room and when 2nd round starts (after running to the corner ofc). If you have Frost Nova lv9-10 things should be much easier because of the lower sp cost :)

-Extra tips: If this's your first time doing the test and you don't feel confident, you can bring one or two Token of Sigfrieds with you. SW will also help if you have it. Ice Wall is disabled.

Anyway, this thread should be pinned :P Good luck to everyone!

#12 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:23 PM

There's too many decent ways to spend 17-21 "extra" points for FN to be an absolute requirement.

not really. majority of wizard spells become obsolete after you change. even while being a wiz, you wont really use anything more then mystic, SG and LOV. techincally speaking, everything except for lvl 1 SG and mystic amplification are expendable (ask the sage class who has to level without all of it lol). frost nova is just a useful tool for survival as a hwiz because of the horrible cast delay on SG and the fact that it has a timer. many wizards ONLY have frost spells (mine included) and dont bother getting any other magic. like i said, i dont see a single reason not to get nova. theres just nothing else on the tree detrimental to leveling

#13 NatoKenichi

NatoKenichi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

Maybe I just suck as Mage class but the WL test was really hard for me. I failed like 10 times. Hahaha. Collecting sucked too, luckily I have a priest friend to help me out.

#14 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

not really. majority of wizard spells become obsolete after you change. even while being a wiz, you wont really use anything more then mystic, SG and LOV. techincally speaking, everything except for lvl 1 SG and mystic amplification are expendable (ask the sage class who has to level without all of it lol). frost nova is just a useful tool for survival as a hwiz because of the horrible cast delay on SG and the fact that it has a timer. many wizards ONLY have frost spells (mine included) and dont bother getting any other magic. like i said, i dont see a single reason not to get nova. theres just nothing else on the tree detrimental to leveling

Maybe it's because I solo most of the time (and get bored easily), but I tend to use every spell I have in my arsenal. It's true a lot of it is very situational, but the wizard skill tree is varied enough with sufficient skill points as a hwiz to be prepared for almost any reasonably likely situation. If you're partying all the time, then yeah, you'll be focusing on SG and LoV for the TIs, but FN isn't the only option for a fast survival or getaway spell. Safety Wall, Fire Wall, and Quagmire (these are the three other most practical spells for this role) can all fulfill that purpose with varying degrees of success, but they also have other uses that FN does not have which may or may not be preferred for whatever is the wizard's plan for leveling.

Aside from that, LoV doesn't always make the best follow-up to SG/FN. Only the first wave deals its wind damage to frozen targets; the remaining waves will apply wind damage to whatever are the targets' natural elements, barring strings for FN spam during LoV's duration of effect.

I'm not saying FN isn't useful, but I maintain that other spells can also be useful. It just depends how and where you level.

As for playing non-WL magic classes, I do have 3 sorcs, 2 magic ninjas, 2 ME ABs, and a caster SC, so I'm no stranger to leveling magic types without SG. In fact, that's probably why I'm more amenable to branching out from the standard skill builds - I tend to play around with my skill trees a lot.

Maybe I just suck as Mage class but the WL test was really hard for me. I failed like 10 times. Hahaha. Collecting sucked too, luckily I have a priest friend to help me out.

I've known decent mages who have failed more than twice that many times. Just be flexible when the situation calls for it and you'll do fine.

#15 NatoKenichi

NatoKenichi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 202 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

Well I eventually got it, I think my hotkey's were giving me a problem too honestly....xD

#16 Anchors

Anchors

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Oh yeah, that's true, putting the four stones into your hotkey bar gives you four new hotkeys to get used to... but if you can get yourself used to using a boatload of hotkeys, it'll make playing RO a little easier for you in the long run. :p_smile: Especially if you play an AB you want to do more than Coluseo, Coluseo, Coluseo with.

#17 Nero89

Nero89

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMalaysia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:52 AM

Just showing one of my wizzies doing the quest. Ignore the staff, +4 SoD has more MATK than that though. I opt out SW and even EC, so I don't use it in the video.

The recommended skills list:
Quagmire, SG1, FN10, SW, EC, JT10

Equips as shown.

Items used:
- Berserk, Concentration and Awakening potions
- HP Increase Potion (Large)
- Box of Drowsiness
- ~100 white pots (the max amt I could bring anyway..)
- free Inc Agi and Blessing scrolls

Edited by Nero89, 19 May 2013 - 02:55 AM.

#18 renouille

renouille

Too Legit To Quit

• Public Security Section 9
  • 2448 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:retired

Posted 19 May 2013 - 06:35 AM

- Berserk, Concentration and Awakening potions

Why?

#19 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:15 PM

They obviously stack brah -Sarcasm-

Edited by Kieri, 19 May 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#20 Nero89

Nero89

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

Why?

Because I feel like want to do it.

...nah, cuz its +ASPD...

#21 teffalockheart

teffalockheart

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 513 posts
  • Server:Chaos in Classic

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

o.O

#22 Kieri

Kieri

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2995 posts
  • Server:Nothing.

Posted 20 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

They don't stack though.

#23 Nero89

Nero89

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 20 May 2013 - 05:22 AM

yup.

i'll just be honest ok..i noticed bout it straight away when Kieri mentioned bout it above lol..noob alert zzz

Edited by Nero89, 20 May 2013 - 05:34 AM.

#24 FUEGOECK

FUEGOECK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1662 posts
  • LocationTijuana [HECHO EN MEXICO]
  • Server:Valkyrie Server

Posted 20 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

also u could try to sacrament ur self if theres no one else u will make it fast to the room to kill the monsters quick & dont spam the skills xD

#25 Patric7olicoe

Patric7olicoe

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users