Day and Night System! - Page 2 - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Day and Night System!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 Forzando

Forzando

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 249 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic Loki

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

OHH, I see how it works now. The world of Rune Midgard isn't on a planet, it's a flat earth! And the sun never moves, instead the night effect is a dark blue piece of glass floating on top of the world :D Non-moving shadows enigma solved.

#27 SephySama

SephySama

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Locationbottom of a bottle
  • Server:Loki

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

day n night https://www.youtube....h?v=VrDfSZ_6f4U

sum off servers have day/night timer it makes it feel more real 

#28 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

kRO tweaked their graphics engine to improve its ability to render effects and lighting; and stated in a recent interview they intend to do some fairly noticeable changes to the game with it. Its possible they plan to implement a day&night system.

#29 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

OHH, I see how it works now. The world of Rune Midgard isn't on a planet, it's a flat earth! And the sun never moves, instead the night effect is a dark blue piece of glass floating on top of the world :D Non-moving shadows enigma solved.

The original day/night effect had characters layered on top of the effect, giving them a glow-in-the-dark kind of feel. Kind of ruins the immersion factor. But then having them underneath the effect makes them hard to see. :hmm:

#30 Cmoota

Cmoota

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

GIVE MORE LIFE TO MIDGARD! :lv:  Definately vote 1up

#31 SueQ

SueQ

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

I'm casting my vote for day/night system, too! I think a one hour cycle would be too frequent though. Make it longer, like every three or six hours? And I also like that idea of monster spawns being affected especially for the undead. I feel just as excited about adding rain by the way.  :p_smile:

#32 SephySama

SephySama

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • Locationbottom of a bottle
  • Server:Loki

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

YES WE MUST HAVE RAIN

#33 Pooru

Pooru

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Locationsouthern california

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:10 AM

Hey guys,

Im not sure if somebody has suggested this, but do you think adding a day and night system would give RO a little more atmosphere? :)

It could rotate every hour, Day for 1 hour and Night for an hour?

Daytime would look like South protera sunny, and Night would look like comodo?

If you like this, please leave a comment! :)

I actually would like to see this but with a different twice, would like to have different mobs spawn (longer hour duration) in addition to changing their stats(stronger during the day and weaker at night) and/or AI such as aggressive(daytime) non aggresive(night time)

Would definitely work for mvps too heck could even change some to spawn only at day or night instances and have the timer reset to cycle the duration of those days i.e. timer of respawn activates only during day hours etc.

#34 gabuie

gabuie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Server:Not classic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

yes pls

#35 bryanctan

bryanctan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of the Awesome Ones

Posted 19 August 2013 - 03:19 AM

I would love a day and night system, but I don't think it'll ever be implemented, what with the international aspect of RO now and all the different time zones across the world. It would be lovely, but it's not really at the top of the to-do list.

#36 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:18 AM

What would it matter if a MMO has an international community? Day/night systems in MMOs cycle every few hours so everyone can experience both no matter where they're playing from.

#37 bryanctan

bryanctan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of the Awesome Ones

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:55 AM

Then why not?

But who wants to fight a monster in the dark...? :p_sick:

#38 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:27 PM

Ask the developers, they're the ones who took it out of RO.

#39 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 11 September 2013 - 02:04 AM

hmm now, if it was to be day/night during server time, that would be cool. Imagine kicking ass with the likes of Storm Gust or Chain Lightening in the dark!? With me being in the UK I'm pretty used to gaming systems like that and I generally play in the "dark"

Also, who doesn't like snow at Christmas time?! it's generally the only time I have the BGM on in town! YAY  FOR LUTIE!  :p_love: :p_love: :p_love:

#40 DestinyTalim

DestinyTalim

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Server:Valkyrie/Chaos

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:19 PM

It would be neat if it added gameplay elements, like as been said with zombies or changed spawns depending on the time. However, I really wonder how they would implement something like that. It can't be a simple dim effect or transparent colored or opaque screen (like the soul link or blind effect). Map objects like buildings and trees cast a shadow dependant on a fixed lightsource somewhere on top of the map I think. As a matter of fact you can sort of turn off that light with the /lightmap command (in some maps it looks kinda funny), although it doesn't remove light altogether as even without the /lightmap things are very visible. To have a realistic day/night cycle you'd have to move that light source in real time to make the shadows move.

And someone mentioned weather effect, that's also neat and kinda possible already, like with the snow. With rain they'd just have to make faster projectiles shaped like tiny lines or something. They could even play with the fog effects, and make super thick fog randomly (some maps already have a thick fog like some Geffen maps, when you remove the fog effect with /fog everything becomes so very clear).

Using weather effects could also affect skills too, such as fire weakening in rain and water strengthening, ice gets stronger in snow, earth in sandstorms, I haven't figured out lightning or wind yet.

When I say water spells, I mean those like waterball.  Ice I mean storm gust, jack frost, cold bolt, frost diver, ice wall, frost misty, I think you get the point.  Lightning I mean lightning bolt, thunderstorm, chain lightning, again I think you get the point.  I really don't know any real wind spells, and I think lord of vermillion is fire.

Keep in mind I am going by how the skill looks or it's name when I put them under those categories.  I know there is no actual ice or lightning elements in the game, and lord of vermillion is wind, but I believe even the skill description in game says pillars of fire.

Just in case you ask how ice spells can be boosted when their is no ice element, etc.

#41 tonylord

tonylord

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • LocationSomewhere beyond the sea(8)
  • Server:renewal

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:55 AM

they could add new mobs during the night,  add a chance to spawn mobs like skeletons or zombies during night time, or make some monsters spawn more than others during the night/day

i haev seen stuffs like that on private servers, but instead of making the cycle of 1 hr and 1 hr, it could be like 1,30 for day and 1 hr for night

#42 KhelbenVasq

KhelbenVasq

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Server:Renewal

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:26 PM

I have seen the day / night effect in other Locations such as....

Spoiler

It Effected quests for different head gears / weapons armors.  Some Items were stronger / weaker in the light or the Dark.  The Nameless Island / Niflheiem and a few other locations were Dramatically effected by day and night cycles. The Point is the Game mechanic does work and works good if it is implemented correctly even has a seasonal rotation at the height of summer day lasts 4 real world hours and night last 2 hours, during hallows eve and winter yule time range it is 2 hour day time 4 hour night, spring and fall have a 3 hour day 3 hour night.  So this is doable,  and it would improve the game by leaps and bounds.

#43 belld1711

belld1711

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1730 posts
  • LocationWhere ever you want me to be.
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

No. I don't think this is a good idea. First off, this probably would have to come from kRO. If it does, then you can expect two things:

#1-The update being sent to us five years after it's finally implemented on kRO.

#2-It would come chock full o' bugs.

That being said, I like the idea. I honestly do. But I don't foresee it happening. And the suggestion of increased spawns in Payon dungeon... it's hard enough for a newbie who's just reached the level limit to do the Eden quests to survive while potting. Can you imagine going to one of the 4 or 5 mass-spawn points and seeing not the usual 10 zombies, 5 familiars, 5 poporings and 10 skelitons, but twice that amount? A newly-carted merchant and the familiar-fleeing aco wouldn't stand a chance! And to top it off, y'all are talking about adding item effects for day or night time? Too much work. Especially when there's stuff that needs fixing first.

As much as I'd like to see the day and night time effects, I'll say take a pass. Once we get stuff like the blind bug dealt with and we get back to within six months to a year of kRO, then we can think about JUST the lighting effects of day and night time...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users