Game running at painfully low FPS - Technical Support - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Game running at painfully low FPS

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 Vulasuw

Vulasuw

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:14 PM

Hello there, friends!

I recently heard about RO2's Open Beta and was extremely excited to try it out, as a long-time RO player. I had one of my friends download the game, and he managed to make his account and get online. This is when he was faced with some issues regarding game smoothness.

The game runs at a slow 20 Frames per Second, making it extremely awkward to move around fluently, as well as making combat look flunky and... not good looking...

I am pretty sure he's -way- over the minimum reqs, but here are his computer specs to help you:

EVGA GTX 670 FTW 4GB VRAM @ 1920x1080 fullscreen
Intel i5 3570K
8gb Corsair RAM

Just to note, he can run most new games on High settings, such as Skyrim, MechWarrior Online, BlackLight and Neverwinter, all in upwards of 60 (SIXTY) FPS.

We are left here, wondering why he gets such a low FPS with such a high-end machine.

Thank you for your time,

- Thiago

---------------------------------------------------------------------

List of user-suggested fixes:

• Reinstalling the game fixes this problem TEMPORARILY, apparently. It's not suggested as a long-term solution

• Game suddenly started becoming choppy for me during character creation.I installed the game via Steam, but I run the game directly via RO2Client.exe
    I opened Steam, right-clicked on Ragnarok Online 2, clicked Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
    It deemed a few files were unsuitable and redownloaded them.

The lag disappeared afterward, if it comes back I'll try something else to fix it or find out what files are being replaced.

• run the game using ro2.exe and dont use steam when you play (close it)..
    for some reason the steam api is causing some issue..

• Same here. OP and I have similar specs and the framerate in RO2 is just terrible. After messing around with the graphic settings, the only way I made it somewhat playable was I took off "Sunlight Effect" and dropped the shadow setting to "3" while everything else is at max and checked (You dont need to drop shadow to "3". I took it down because sometimes the full shadow silhouettes glitches all over the place). I also went into my GPU control panel and turned on Vsync with triple buffering.

So far, it somewhat works like a charm but framerates drops randomly time to time which gets really annoying and eventually leads me to rage quitting :omg: I dont know for everyone else but the Sunlight effect is the main source to my low FPS. They really need to optimize the game.

• By any chance do you have Windows Defender? Check your processes in task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) and see if it's eating up your CPU. I don't recommend killing/stopping Windows Defender, but that's probably why a lot of people are seeing the "FPS issue". It would be nice if WarpPortal provided some feedback here.

Edit: It seems that if you let it scan the RO2 process, or whatever it's doing, it will go back to normal.

Edited by Vulasuw, 03 May 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#2 nicoran

nicoran

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

I'm in the same boat as your friend but a weaker setup.
i5 2500k
8GB Mem
GTX 570
SSD Drive

I've tried lowering to lowest settings and lowest resolution. Turned my vid card back to default settings. All drivers are updated. Only think I haven't tried was reinstall.

#3 Vulasuw

Vulasuw

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:43 PM

I also forgot to mention he's using a Samsung 840 pro 124tgb SSD.

EDIT: Thank you for letting us know that he's not the only one facing this issue, nicoran! We really appreciate the help, and are here hoping for a possible fix to come so we can all play together.

Edited by Vulasuw, 02 May 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#4 Monchee

Monchee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts
  • LocationEast Mt. Mjolnir
  • Server:Odin

Posted 02 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm guessing it's a server side issue. It's quite new so people are lagging the RO2 server. We could just wait for casual players to go away or ask Gravity to add a new server.

BTW, nice specs. :)

#5 Vulasuw

Vulasuw

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

Well, the problem, Monchee, is that it doesn't seem like a server-side issue. There was no lag. Instead, their FPS are low. It has more to do with the way the client is coded, IMHO. Though I am no expert in such things, so I won't pretend I know everything, you know?

But thank you for providing a possible cause for this low FPS!

#6 Monchee

Monchee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:09 PM

Well, the problem, Monchee, is that it doesn't seem like a server-side issue. There was no lag. Instead, their FPS are low. It has more to do with the way the client is coded, IMHO. Though I am no expert in such things, so I won't pretend I know everything, you know?

But thank you for providing a possible cause for this low FPS!

Much appreciated. Thanks for the correction.

And I envy you. Why are you not lagging? :D

#7 Vulasuw

Vulasuw

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:15 PM

You're welcome bro.

I'm not lagging... yet. My computer has really bad specs, and I'm praying it won't EXPLODE from running this game. But I do expect some low FPS already XD

EDIT: AH! I see you meant him. Yeah, I believe he wasn't lagging because he has a 30Mbps+ internet. So... yeah o.o

#8 nicoran

nicoran

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

Yesterday, I only experience the low fps once, near the Eclipse area. It was so bad I had to stop playing. I couldn't even log out properly, had to kill the process to close the game. I started the game again and I experienced the same low fps at the log-in screen. Closed it again and left to find dinner. When I came back, it was fine and I'd played for hours without any hiccups.

Today, I got on after work and I experienced the low fps right away at the log-in screen again. I've been checking every hour or so and I'm still experiencing it.

During Beta, the game ran fine 95% of the time. I only experienced the low fps once and it was short in duration.

I thought the problem was my vid card or driver. I had problems with other games before with the 570 and it took a few days to week for it to be fixed. Unless the 670 uses the same drivers, it could be something else.

#9 kheizzer

kheizzer

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

i just play only 5min because i have low fps too with a phenom II X4,8gb and hd 6870, i will not play anymore before they fix this

#10 Monchee

Monchee

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 199 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:27 PM

You're welcome bro.

I'm not lagging... yet. My computer has really bad specs, and I'm praying it won't EXPLODE from running this game. But I do expect some low FPS already XD

EDIT: AH! I see you meant him. Yeah, I believe he wasn't lagging because he has a 30Mbps+ internet. So... yeah o.o

All along, I thought that was your specs LOL. And I actually thought you're the one not lagging.

My eyes are killing me now.

#11 Baneling

Baneling

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:41 PM

yep i posted a similiar thread earlier this morning. fixed it by redownloading the game and hey, its come back T.T

#12 Vulasuw

Vulasuw

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Thank you all for your continuous support regarding this issue!

Please keep posting your FPS issues here. I want to see just how many people are afflicted by this problem as well, and hopefully get a solution that fixes all of our FPS problems!

#13 TheHeretic

TheHeretic

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

Intel 3570k @3.8ghz x4, HD 4000 on 1920x1080, cannot exceed 30 FPS in-game (posted here http://forums.warppo...2-30-fps-limit/ )

Tried it on my other computer, 2500k @3.6ghz x4 with a Radeon 5750, and I get FPS floating between ~20-58 on all settings, and this is from standing in an open field with no activity.

Would like to see this remedied >_>

#14 Baneling

Baneling

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:15 PM

very confusing, just tried the game again without doing anything and its fine now.

When I mean fps problems Im talking like 5FPS >.< but its ok atm so i dont know :/

#15 Ansune

Ansune

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

Game suddenly started becoming choppy for me during character creation.
I installed the game via Steam, but I run the game directly via RO2Client.exe
I opened Steam, right-clicked on Ragnarok Online 2, clicked Properties, Local Files, Verify Integrity of Game Cache.
The lag disappeared afterward, if it comes back I'll try something else to fix it or find out what files are being replaced.

#16 joblagz2

joblagz2

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

run the game using ro2.exe and dont use steam when you play (close it)..
for some reason the steam api is causing some issue..

#17 Belegnir

Belegnir

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

For me I just get lag phases, it phases into lag and phases out at 30 minute intervals. The lag isn't too bad and I'm on a laptop, but it's another annoyance. :/

#18 Leaon

Leaon

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

Same here. OP and I have similar specs and the framerate in RO2 is just terrible. After messing around with the graphic settings, the only way I made it somewhat playable was I took off "Sunlight Effect" and dropped the shadow setting to "3" while everything else is at max and checked (You dont need to drop shadow to "3". I took it down because sometimes the full shadow silhouettes glitches all over the place). I also went into my GPU control panel and turned on Vsync with triple buffering.

So far, it somewhat works like a charm but framerates drops randomly time to time which gets really annoying and eventually leads me to rage quitting :omg: I dont know for everyone else but the Sunlight effect is the main source to my low FPS. They really need to optimize the game.

Edited by Leaon, 02 May 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#19 thegir

thegir

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

By any chance do you have Windows Defender? Check your processes in task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) and see if it's eating up your CPU. I don't recommend killing/stopping Windows Defender, but that's probably why a lot of people are seeing the "FPS issue". It would be nice if WarpPortal provided some feedback here.

Edit: It seems that if you let it scan the RO2 process, or whatever it's doing, it will go back to normal.

Edited by thegir, 02 May 2013 - 10:07 PM.

#20 Jells

Jells

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

I just have the 30fps limit. But I'm not expecting any problems besides when trying to optimise RO2 with the nVidia CP, which of course makes the game glitch.. who would have guessed.
My machine is better than OP's. Maybe it your software and drivers, guys? Thought about that?

#21 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:19 AM

Ive got not the best system, still Im on the recommanded side. And its sometimes like the Sea. It can be smooth and rough, so yeah my FPS drop sometimes really hard, sometimes they run pretty ok. Reasons could be many Players so loading em takes up much power, bad Client(what most of new games have nowadays.), or its a hardware problem about compatibility, maybe the Client does have some problems with parts of u hardware, even if it has the proper Traits to Run this game, does not mean it will do it the way we like it(this is somewhat like bad client only with a slight difference).

#22 KirigayaKazutou

KirigayaKazutou

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:59 AM

Same thing here.

Running at 1-5 fps on a pretty decent computer that should be running at 80-120FPS on max settings.

PS. Leaving the game on log in screen didn't work.

#23 Mysticstrider

Mysticstrider

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:09 AM

Wow, I'm glad to find out that I'm not the only one having the same issue. I honestly think this game is just poorly optimized and that they really need to fix this game so that people with newer high-end computers or decent gaming computer can run this game properly. I've posted this on the other thread here:
http://forums.warppo...4-terrible-fps/

Anyway my specs is similar to OP:
i5-3570k
nVidia GTX 560ti
8gb(2x4gb) DDR3-1200
Windows 7 Pro
Running @ 1680x1050

Edited by Mysticstrider, 03 May 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#24 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:29 AM

Game suddenly started becoming choppy for me during character creation.
I installed the game via Steam, but I run the game directly via RO2Client.exe

this kinda helped me, so if u guys got some tool for rapairing do it if not reinstall, my fps drops decreased, after my steam found some data which did not fit.

#25 stoicsquirrel

stoicsquirrel

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC
  • Server:Odin, usually Channel 8

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:32 AM

Also having the low FPS issue. Here's my specs:

E5200 @ 2.50 GHz
4.00 GB RAM