• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Zenzu

Zenzu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

I don't have a lot of time to look a lot of the info I want to know, but from everything I hear about Monks, the majority of people say bad things. Like most games that have a Monk, they are very PGD (player and gear dependent) meaning they player needs to be somewhat skilled and you have to have some good gear to make them work. There are the loyal Monk players that say, "They are really good and are my favorite class", and those who are not and say "NO! THEY ARE AWFUL!" and "They are less DPS than warrior, and less Tank that Knight." SO! what I'm trying to ask is:
  • 1. What role does the Monk play in the game?
  • 2. How is the Monk's damage output?
  • 3. Can they solo?
  • 4. What (if anything) is wrong with them?
​Hopefully this thread will help out a lot of people, I will do my part to look up what I can, the game is still very new, but I want to help out as much as I can to answer all these questions.

THANKS EVERYONE! Please remember to be curious to others opinions and discuss everything in a reasonable manor :)

#2 Ahjussi

Ahjussi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFany's Lips
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:26 AM

Okay, I'll start off.. There's already a Monk Discussion Thread but I'll answer the questions here short and simple.

1. Monks are expected to play a tank role - MT/OT..
2. Not too sure how to answer this but they won't be able to compete against the Thief subclasses. (Right guys? :hmm: )
3. If you're talking about soloing field bosses, yes they can.
4. Their equips don't offer any AGI bonuses and that alone limits build variety, stat point distributions and ultimately, playstyle. I think Monks need a rework, I want real DPS, I want real Asura. :sob:

#3 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:40 AM

I think the "Update" with the Second Jobclass may give our monks some more flexibilty. I think they can go DMG, but wont match the others. Monks are not that bad in single target dmg, with double Guilotine Strike. Steel Body make them tanky, with only -10% dmg, what can help u out in some situation even if u dont tank, but maybe ur tank dies and u need to take the boss on. In PvP, u may be strong with ur "fake" Asura Strike, but after u wasted em pretty at a defensive stance, and a Rogue just goes stealth heals himself and well. Im now going for a Monk, because i like the skills and playstyle. They wont be best or good, but still useful, and after u got some gear u can compete with the most of em.

#4 Zenzu

Zenzu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

Okay, I'll start off.. There's already a Monk Discussion Thread but I'll answer the questions here short and simple.

1. Monks are expected to play a tank role - MT/OT..
2. Not too sure how to answer this but they won't be able to compete against the Thief subclasses. (Right guys? :hmm: )
3. If you're talking about soloing field bosses, yes they can.
4. Their equips don't offer any AGI bonuses and that alone limits build variety, stat point distributions and ultimately, playstyle. I think Monks need a rework, I want real DPS, I want real Asura. :sob:

thank you for your input :) i have been non stop looking up things about monks (sadly there isnt enough) and they seem like the best tanks in the game. which is very sad to me considering how i see monks as giant dps machines that fury of blows their way through mobs. hopefully they will have a rework with more offence and just buff some of the defense, Thank you for your contribution

#5 Hirengurth

Hirengurth

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

Monks are an interesting breed. I for one intend to main mine for a long time just as in Ro1 with that said there are some issues here and there.

1) The monk is a unique class in it is able at end game to change role based on having Steel body on or off and how you use your other skills. Most of the time they are expected to be a tank or off tank as that is their core role but are able to be a dps even a monk built for tanking will likely have enough points in damage skills and stats to back those up to be sub par but acceptable as a dps. When i said that changing how you use skills can alter your role that is mainly between main and off tank as a monk you will be able to put out enough hurt to out agro a knight if you are building offtank so it basically comes down to adjusting your threat by dialing back or using things like asura strike on adds otherwise you will be tanking the boss. This will not happen till level ~38 if you are only building tanking skills. But once you max Fury Explosion it will happen if you are on your rotation.

2) The damage is good if building for it not the same as an assassin, ranger, or either mage, but not so far behind its an issue. The monk skills are rather potent and and synergize well most notably fury explosion and summon spirit spheres to reset the cooldown giving you a solid minute of +30% attack power.

3) just as well as anyone else without a heal. (buy pots and food and you will be ok)

4) Steel body makes things touchy because if you are doing any of the tank roles (Main or Off) you have to use it and doing so will allow you to pull off the main tank at will later in the game though im not totally sure if this evens out at 50.
Monks as a main tank are just as if not slightly more durable if build and geared correctly than most other options, though they have the fewest tools to get agro especially large groups of mobs given the monk has no AOE taunt and has no spell that hits more than 4 targets. Now i do not consider that a problem but it leaves you with the least tools as far as a main tank goes and some of the best durability due to a higher parry rate and other than a knight some of the best overall mitigation from defense.

When it comes down to it a monk as in ro1 is a versatile and extremely Player, gear and Party dependent. The best monks will be a able to bounce between main tank, off tank and dps and fill them all acceptably. If you are looking for the best Melee Dps the assassin will win. looking for the best pure tank Knight takes the cake there. Are monks the best off tank that is debatable though given they are more durable than most of the off tank options for instances of a small number of really nasty adds the monk is better and for instances where there are a ton of weaker targets a warrior or beast master have the better tools.

All in all im happy with what they did it gives a monk a solid focus and in the end roles that they can excel at. I do miss my heal and buffs though.

#6 Zenzu

Zenzu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:49 AM

I think the "Update" with the Second Jobclass may give our monks some more flexibilty. I think they can go DMG, but wont match the others. Monks are not that bad in single target dmg, with double Guilotine Strike. Steel Body make them tanky, with only -10% dmg, what can help u out in some situation even if u dont tank, but maybe ur tank dies and u need to take the boss on. In PvP, u may be strong with ur "fake" Asura Strike, but after u wasted em pretty at a defensive stance, and a Rogue just goes stealth heals himself and well. Im now going for a Monk, because i like the skills and playstyle. They wont be best or good, but still useful, and after u got some gear u can compete with the most of em.

Are they planning on making more class branches? like monk has 1-2 more paths and priest would have 1-2 more things to level into? I would love to see a link if you have one so i can read about it, if not im sure it is in good faith that you heard about updates to add new classes & sub classes

#7 Hirengurth

Hirengurth

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

Are they planning on making more class branches? like monk has 1-2 more paths and priest would have 1-2 more things to level into? I would love to see a link if you have one so i can read about it, if not im sure it is in good faith that you heard about updates to add new classes & sub classes

They noted it as an option but, made it clear its not coming anytime soon a minimum of a year or so.

#8 Zenzu

Zenzu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

Monks are an interesting breed. I for one intend to main mine for a long time just as in Ro1 with that said there are some issues here and there.

1) The monk is a unique class in it is able at end game to change role based on having Steel body on or off and how you use your other skills. Most of the time they are expected to be a tank or off tank as that is their core role but are able to be a dps even a monk built for tanking will likely have enough points in damage skills and stats to back those up to be sub par but acceptable as a dps. When i said that changing how you use skills can alter your role that is mainly between main and off tank as a monk you will be able to put out enough hurt to out agro a knight if you are building offtank so it basically comes down to adjusting your threat by dialing back or using things like asura strike on adds otherwise you will be tanking the boss. This will not happen till level ~38 if you are only building tanking skills. But once you max Fury Explosion it will happen if you are on your rotation.

2) The damage is good if building for it not the same as an assassin, ranger, or either mage, but not so far behind its an issue. The monk skills are rather potent and and synergize well most notably fury explosion and summon spirit spheres to reset the cooldown giving you a solid minute of +30% attack power.

3) just as well as anyone else without a heal. (buy pots and food and you will be ok)

4) Steel body makes things touchy because if you are doing any of the tank roles (Main or Off) you have to use it and doing so will allow you to pull off the main tank at will later in the game though im not totally sure if this evens out at 50.
Monks as a main tank are just as if not slightly more durable if build and geared correctly than most other options, though they have the fewest tools to get agro especially large groups of mobs given the monk has no AOE taunt and has no spell that hits more than 4 targets. Now i do not consider that a problem but it leaves you with the least tools as far as a main tank goes and some of the best durability due to a higher parry rate and other than a knight some of the best overall mitigation from defense.

When it comes down to it a monk as in ro1 is a versatile and extremely Player, gear and Party dependent. The best monks will be a able to bounce between main tank, off tank and dps and fill them all acceptably. If you are looking for the best Melee Dps the assassin will win. looking for the best pure tank Knight takes the cake there. Are monks the best off tank that is debatable though given they are more durable than most of the off tank options for instances of a small number of really nasty adds the monk is better and for instances where there are a ton of weaker targets a warrior or beast master have the better tools.

All in all im happy with what they did it gives a monk a solid focus and in the end roles that they can excel at. I do miss my heal and buffs though.

thank you for your detailed description of the monk, it really made me feel better about making one. People tell me that the Priest has more DPS than the monk, and is more needed. which i will agree a healer is VERY needed all the time in raids and dungeons, but, a WELL played monk seems to pay off better than a knight

#9 ctophs

ctophs

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:57 AM

• 1. What role does the Monk play in the game?
    can either be MT or OT, but pref MT
  • 2. How is the Monk's damage output?
    this really depends on your build, monks relied on crits to get more dmg output, but over all, monk have average damage
  • 3. Can they solo?
    not much, i think monk got the highest def in the game (its either knight or monk for def rate) but comparing all tanks, war,BM,and knight got healing ability so they can solo monsters effectively
  • 4. What (if anything) is wrong with them?
    No heal ability unlike any other tanks
    Asura strike can miss and asura strike's stun, will also stun yourself (due to the animation)
    No agi bonus from gears (the only class not having it)
    No solid AOE skill, max of 3monsters can handle using skills

#10 Hirengurth

Hirengurth

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:03 AM

thank you for your detailed description of the monk, it really made me feel better about making one. People tell me that the Priest has more DPS than the monk, and is more needed. which i will agree a healer is VERY needed all the time in raids and dungeons, but, a WELL played monk seems to pay off better than a knight

The priest will be able to generate dps via his damage over time spells that in the end will do a good bit of damage and they are all instant spells giving them a special kind of flexibility. I would have to run the numbers to see if the dps statements are true or not though i would believe it if the priest throws his dots around on multiple targets.

#11 Ahjussi

Ahjussi

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationFany's Lips

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

Wth.. This thread exploded. :p_laugh:

#12 Hirengurth

Hirengurth

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:06 AM

Wth.. This thread exploded. :p_laugh:

sort of just the 4-5 of us atm lol

#13 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:58 AM

Lets make the Monk popular! So people will restart playing Rangers!

#14 Hirengurth

Hirengurth

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:34 AM

The only thing that keeps a monk from doing crazy dps is the lack of agility gear.

#15 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

The only thing that keeps a monk from doing crazy dps is the lack of agility gear.

how about skilling Agi instead of Str? wont u crit like crazy with ur skills and still do good dmg?

#16 7271130503053419440

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

50 agi difference is like +4,7% crit (search forums for accurate numbers and formulas)
basically, no.

#17 Riyk

Riyk

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Server:Ragnarok Online 2: Odin

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:52 PM

This is a very interesting read. I plan to turn my current Acolyte into a Monk. (currently at level 14).
Some of my concerns were addressed already, but I have one question to ask.

I don't have a problem tanking. (I was doing it in Aion for a bit) But, I much prefer DPS. So, would advertising myself as a DPS Monk result in my not getting into groups and such for dungeons/raids/etc? Or should I just accept myself as being a tank?

#18 Kolma

Kolma

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:30 PM

This is a very interesting read. I plan to turn my current Acolyte into a Monk. (currently at level 14).
Some of my concerns were addressed already, but I have one question to ask.

I don't have a problem tanking. (I was doing it in Aion for a bit) But, I much prefer DPS. So, would advertising myself as a DPS Monk result in my not getting into groups and such for dungeons/raids/etc? Or should I just accept myself as being a tank?

They'd probably expect you to be a tank and nothing else, especially since there are far less tanks and healers compared to the zillions of DPS around who would probably spam their damage meters over party chat if they could.

Heck, most of the time when I browse this part of the forums I get a feeling that everyone was every single Acolyte to be their personal FS priest.

#19 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:08 AM

50 agi difference is like +4,7% crit (search forums for accurate numbers and formulas)
basically, no.

still 4,7% crits wont be that bad.

Just thought about puting like 8 points in Agility while 40/40 str/int.

later when Monks may get agi on gear, this wont be that bad I suppose to have something in agi already. Also u get Dodge from it, basicly u dont lose the ability to tank, and ur dmg will be decent

#20 7271130503053419440

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:27 AM

50 agi diff is +4.56 crit% +2.28 evade%
for 1 and 8 difference is 0.64 and 0.32 respectively
In my opinion it's kinda useless. Buts it's your decision wether or not to pump some AGI.
And IMO it's doesn't right that stat build in reality doesn't matter anything, only equipnment makes some difference.
To bad that's will not ever be fixed .

#21 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

50 agi diff is +4.56 crit% +2.28 evade%
for 1 and 8 difference is 0.64 and 0.32 respectively
In my opinion it's kinda useless. Buts it's your decision wether or not to pump some AGI.
And IMO it's doesn't right that stat build in reality doesn't matter anything, only equipnment makes some difference.
To bad that's will not ever be fixed .

why shouldnt it be fixed? Its not like they couldnt change this in later Patches or Client updates

Edited by Tastey, 13 May 2013 - 01:12 AM.

#22 7271130503053419440

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Oh, I think it should be fixed, but I didn't believe they will do it
If they'll try to fix it, there would be some problems:
1) rework of stat system (imo stats must be buffed)
2) cutting of stats from equipment (STRONG wining about nerf expected) to balance stats buff.
3) rebalance of equipment
this means that they will have to change core game mechanics, so i would not bet on that

Edited by sandyxx@ya.ru, 13 May 2013 - 01:43 AM.

#23 Tastey

Tastey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:08 AM

Oh, I think it should be fixed, but I didn't believe they will do it
If they'll try to fix it, there would be some problems:
1) rework of stat system (imo stats must be buffed)
2) cutting of stats from equipment (STRONG wining about nerf expected) to balance stats buff.
3) rebalance of equipment
this means that they will have to change core game mechanics, so i would not bet on that

or they just increase the amount of bonuses u get from "bonus stats" like double or 1,5x Bonus stats. To change this its not that difficult and their shouldnt be much rework on the system

#24 Raidius

Raidius

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 776 posts
  • Locationmy chair

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:29 AM

they already gave agi to monks on kro2 is jsut matter of time till that comes here, not sure how but i think they replaced agi with the wisdom it gives atm

#25 7271130503053419440

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

It's great if that is so. But, i cant find any reliable source about this fix. only thread on searo2 where people are asking to change wis 2 agi. and one of them claims that he read about that somwhere, wouldn't you mind to show us your sources?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users