SnowPin

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin & Chaos

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:39 PM

Did I seriously just waste all this time leveling up my knight to 50?

I made a knight thinking "Guy with shield = Top Tank" now i'm being told that BeastMaster and Warrior are better tanks?

The hell kind of -_- is this?

I'm sorry, but a 2H user shouldn't be able to beat out a guy with a shield in a tank scenario. Nor should a BM.

My question is, if I want to be a main tank, should I re-roll ?

#2 Jaese

Jaese

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:15 PM

All tanks are viable.

If anyone tells you different, they are wrong.

#3 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Knights' Shield Fortress makes them stand out from the rest of the tanks
Depends on what your definition of a “good” tank is
Is it:
- Generating the most amount of aggro so the DPS can kill faster?
- Highest defense/HP so they can survive heavy blows with the most amount of HP?
- Being able to shield party members so they can survive attacks that hit all party members?

The words “best tank” seems to be something taboo on these forums. You cannot convince them otherwise.

#4 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:55 PM

It's usually a matter of play style...

But I don't know who's telling you all this; Knights are pretty damn good at tanking.

#5 jayeto

jayeto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

It's usually a matter of play style...

But I don't know who's telling you all this; Knights are pretty damn good at tanking.

but not MAIN tanking and thats whet the OP is getting at. why make a knight to be MAIN tank when you can have a monk or BM easily take there place. its one thing at the moment making me even second guess leveling my knight 50.

in most MMOs the guy with the shield and sword is usually the main tank be it pally or knight and everything else is off tank. except in this game knight seems to be the off tank and everyone else is the ones with the stats and buffs and powers to tank if not the same or BETTER than a knight. (by everyone else i mean monks, warriors, and BMs).

i can see a war MAYBE coming close to being a tank but usually at best they are off tanks. monks is another since im seeing this adopted diablo 3 monks which are tanks (and other games). but sorceress are getting WAAAAAAAYYYY to much power tbh -.- (come on seriously tank, heal, and deal mass amounts of damge!?!? who thought this was ok!??!?!)

so yea knights maybe able to tank but by no means are they at the top anymore which raises an eyebrow since thats what really a knight IS suppose to be BEST at.

#6 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 12 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Alot of info i see flying around is just asumptions and second hand info with little to no testing.

So what if a knight isn't the top tier no competiton best? You can still main tank just fine. There isn't some massive differance between the tanks that makes it so you always have to have the same ones all the time. If anything different fights will favor different tanks but still let the others do the job. Pick the tank class you like and go with it. It's going to be up to you to be a good player and get into the runs.

Seriously i've been seeing to much of this lately. This isn't mmorpgs from a decade ago. Every class is generally on equal footing. If you want a free ride then go make a priest since theres only 1 tank healer in the game.

#7 jayeto

jayeto

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:31 PM

Alot of info i see flying around is just asumptions and second hand info with little to no testing.

So what if a knight isn't the top tier no competiton best? You can still main tank just fine. There isn't some massive differance between the tanks that makes it so you always have to have the same ones all the time. If anything different fights will favor different tanks but still let the others do the job. Pick the tank class you like and go with it. It's going to be up to you to be a good player and get into the runs.

Seriously i've been seeing to much of this lately. This isn't mmorpgs from a decade ago. Every class is generally on equal footing. If you want a free ride then go make a priest since theres only 1 tank healer in the game.

equal footing is good but can hurt in late game for certain classes not seeing action. for instance if you have a raid where only 2 tanks (maybe) are needed most have been going with a monk not a knight since a monk is seen BETTER at tanking than a knight. when this usually happens it streams out a class from action unless the top class isnt available to fill the spot.

normally this is ok for mid going into late but if at late game one class is way better than another in doing a job then it just pushes those classes out the way. in this case for tanking you have 4 classes that can do the job. so yeah you can build yourself a knight tank but if it comes to end game where a monk is best and a war or BM is best for back up then yea it kinda throws a monkey wrench into your grand tank no matter how you slice it.

but id say roll with the punches. usually if they see on or more classes that a bit higher than the class they want theyll start doing small nerfs or buffs.

#8 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 09:52 PM

One RHM in kRO2 had an Assassin ask "who's tanking?" when clearly my Warrior was the only tank class that was there. My friends and I proceeded to inform him and he said "yeah, but not as good" before he left.

Really, I don't see the point in arguing.

BMs were also a rare sight there; like Unicorns just bigger and furrier. Warriors and BMs start off slow, so Monks and Knights will usually be preferred until they catch up. If you're feeling insecure, don't be. Have you seen the thread that suggested Knights were the most needed tanks in end game?

You could argue that Monks are the best main tanks. But it so hard to accept? RO1 Monks have Mental Strength and I have no problem with that. We all have different ways to get there. Characters are also getting yet to be known improvements for the next job ascension and you shouldn't count any of them out yet.

Be proud of your class! The grass only looks greener on the other side.

#9 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:38 PM

Staying Knight as it is should already satisfy the [Main Tank] position.

Situation-wise, yes a Monk and BM should be the [Main Tank] while the knight would [Off Tank]. Also some of the reasons may come from the . . "they are better at 1 vs 1 targeting, so they are the MT". Another way to look at it would be "they are highly incompatible with holding off more than 3 mobs, so the OT job is up to you".

The way most people are think is basically "MT > OT". But to be honest, I would relegate both MT and OT job's to be of equal importance. Neither one is "better" or more "important" than the other. It all comes down the situation at hand. Seeing as though knights/warriors are "more" capable of mass mob aggro, they are the usual "go to" [Off Tanks] when it comes to raiding.

#10 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

This might be a WoW clone but it doesn't thrive on heroic world first class stacking.
I don't understand why everyone keeps thinking there is some massive differance between tanks or the dps. One might have an edge but it's not enough to shove the rest to the side.

For the love of odin, Bapho HARD MODE was killed eailer today and they are using a knight+warrior tanks. And it's been less that 2 weeks since open beta launch.
Do you need a written in stone memo from the devs themselfs to tell you that it's ok for a knight to MT?

I mean if you think abuot it your argument is almost depressing. If knights aren't needed as tanks and most people don't think a knight can even dps... why hasn't it been removed from the game? Why do we have 4 tank classes when only 2 are needed?

Edited by SonicTMP, 12 May 2013 - 10:40 PM.

#11 Reppu

Reppu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

Indeed. Just seriously play what you want. Shield Fortress alone is why Knights are one of the best classes in the game, let alone a top-end tank.

So what if a Monk takes damage slightly better? Shield Fortress. Warrior? Shield Fortress. And nobody cares about the bears.

Knights can MT, OT, DPS to an extent, and save the entire raid. And Shield Fortress is arguably required to have.

Monks? MT or no raid spot.

Warriors? Best as an OT, great MTs. No raid spot otherwise.

Beastmasters? MT or no raid spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users