The stupidity of starting a party - Page 3 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

The stupidity of starting a party

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#51 Artamie

Artamie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 13 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

We were not really wanted.
When people are levelling, having a priest only makes them level up slower. shared exp.
We were only wanted when it comes to dungeon.
That sucks. :\

/end of ranting

I feel this way a lot too. But I think it really out later on when the damage from enemies accumulate. Healing is a stressful job and it really helps if the party plays nice. Nothing is worse (at least to me) than having extremely inconsiderate party members who go out of their way to make you feel uncomfortable (ex. running headlong into giant mobs as dps while the priest only has 20% mp remaining after a boss fight then telling them that they suck and they need to heal more).
:p_sick:

The road to 50 really tests people's patience in dealing with others. I feel like a more calloused individual lately...

#52 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Whispering relevant priests looking for a party in the find party tool hardly seems like spamming. If it's not met with complete silence, it's "No, I want a party of 4"

Lol, you do realize that half the people in online games barely read chat if the chat is being spammed at the rate LFG always is, correct? At least in WoW you could create a whisper tab and it would flash if you received a reply. In here it's just a matter of if you can catch a reply/whisper while killing monsters and waiting for a party invite/whisper.

#53 Scott

Scott

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1590 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

It sounds like you're assuming I'm bombarding a single player with whispers.

#54 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:52 PM

It sounds like you're assuming I'm bombarding a single player with whispers.

No...

"Lol, you do realize that half the people in online games barely read chat if the chat is being spammed at the rate LFG always is,"

We all know how LFG is being spammed by ~50 different people, correct? If they're looking at the general window and expecting a reply or a whisper, they're only going to see one reply/whisper from you (unless you really ARE spamming them which you said you aren't). And that single reply/whisper is going to get pushed all the way up quickly depending on the spam rate of other players in the LFG channel. It's EASY to miss a reply like that while you're killing monsters or doing something else.

Honestly an immediate party invite instead of a whisper is what seems to get the attention of most people when I'm creating a party. Of course if they're already in a party I still have to whisper afterwards anyways.

#55 Zakichan

Zakichan

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

I usually roll a priest or a tank in MMOs and in RO2 I'm leveling a priest right now. I shoot random party invites to people in the same questing area all the time and they usually accept the invites just like I usually accept their invites randomly sent to me. We might say hello after partying up but that's about it. I personally don't feel the need to introduce myself and forward my resume to someone for every party invite. I have no problem grouping with strangers for a while and parting ways as soon as we finish doing whatever khara we were working on. I, like many others, play these grindy korean games to relax while listening to music and don't really want to be social butterflies all the time. Truth be told, many of us just don't really feel the need to make some sort of lasting bond with everyone we encounter in an online game. As for those people who are more unwilling to join a fresh party than one that already has a tank/healer... Can you really blame them? Nobody owes you anything and a lot of us just want to play the game. Not everyone is some anal loot hungry elitist; we just want to get into the action and enjoy ourselves as soon as we can because we have such limited time to play games like this. One of the reasons I roll tank and priest is because I can get into parties easily and my entertainment isn't met with standing around forever waiting for a party to form. I understand this comes as an annoyance to you, but again, nobody owes you anything. Dungeon finder works only half of the time and have you seen that nightmare of a LFP chat? I'm willing to form parties time to time but for you to say as a priest it should be my job is kind of ridiculous. I'm really not trying to be a jerk when I say all this, but it is the most straightforward way I can explain it. I just want you and others to see where players like me are coming from when things like this happen to you while you're playing. A lot of us are just quiet, looking to relax, and play at our own discretion. A lot of text but I hope understanding the players helps with the frustration of party finding!

#56 Aeynia

Aeynia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Cradle Of The Mind
  • Server:Odin

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

Lol, you do realize that half the people in online games barely read chat if the chat is being spammed at the rate LFG always is, correct? At least in WoW you could create a whisper tab and it would flash if you received a reply. In here it's just a matter of if you can catch a reply/whisper while killing monsters and waiting for a party invite/whisper.

You can edit what shows up in your chat tabs, just fyi.

#57 Radprofile

Radprofile

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:27 PM

Being a priest must be a pain lol, not everyone have patience to deal with so many people trying to get help from them, even worse when they are only "required" to achieve something and then "hey, thanks for the party, bye!", I really admire people who play as that class, because they seems to be really happy helping people (even if sometimes could be a pain).

#58 vonnegut

vonnegut

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Server:RO2: Odin

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

Being a priest must be a pain lol, not everyone have patience to deal with so many people trying to get help from them, even worse when they are only "required" to achieve something and then "hey, thanks for the party, bye!", I really admire people who play as that class, because they seems to be really happy helping people (even if sometimes could be a pain).

I don't know if it's happiness-that-stems-from-helping-other-people that makes us play. I rolled an fs priest because I've always played that character and I find it to be an interesting challenge keeping the party alive. It's a huge pain in the ass, especially if you have people who have no earthly idea what they are doing, especially in dungeons, but i can be really fun with parties that sure know how to clean a room. I also find that playing this character is more entertaining than spamming one or two skills as a melee class.

As for parties, the reason why priests or healers in general want to enter in on a full party is because we are being spammed with invites the minute we start from level 1. Not even a howdy do, and we get random party invites because of our class and we may not necessarily want to party because we don't even know how far you are on the quest progression. Everyone wants to get to 50, everyone needs to complete x number of runs in a dungeon and it sucks having to back track or having to run a dungeon 10 or more times just to make sure each person in the group (because people just peace out when -they- are done, not because the party is done) has every quest they need completed. I think people who play priests just get very tired and even though there seem to be many priests on the server, the ones who are actually capable of running full parties at each level are rare or they go battle and skill reset later. We have things we want to accomplish too, we're not just here to always help you.

Eh, too much of a rant, I'm just tired.

#59 Radprofile

Radprofile

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 12:56 PM

I don't know if it's happiness-that-stems-from-helping-other-people that makes us play. I rolled an fs priest because I've always played that character and I find it to be an interesting challenge keeping the party alive. It's a huge pain in the ass, especially if you have people who have no earthly idea what they are doing, especially in dungeons, but i can be really fun with parties that sure know how to clean a room. I also find that playing this character is more entertaining than spamming one or two skills as a melee class.

As for parties, the reason why priests or healers in general want to enter in on a full party is because we are being spammed with invites the minute we start from level 1. Not even a howdy do, and we get random party invites because of our class and we may not necessarily want to party because we don't even know how far you are on the quest progression. Everyone wants to get to 50, everyone needs to complete x number of runs in a dungeon and it sucks having to back track or having to run a dungeon 10 or more times just to make sure each person in the group (because people just peace out when -they- are done, not because the party is done) has every quest they need completed. I think people who play priests just get very tired and even though there seem to be many priests on the server, the ones who are actually capable of running full parties at each level are rare or they go battle and skill reset later. We have things we want to accomplish too, we're not just here to always help you.

Eh, too much of a rant, I'm just tired.

And I supposedly was praising the priests. lol

Well at least now I now a different point of view of possible reasons to play as priest.

#60 coded

coded

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Location自分の夢に

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:27 PM

Thats why you get your friends to play with you rather than going around spamming people with messages. This is exactly why I ignore everyone and just play with my friends. The whole "I'm smart and everybody else is dumb" is pure bull-_-. Get over yourself, really.

#61 Iyeru

Iyeru

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 541 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI (USA)

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:16 PM

I'm a level 50 fs priest. I don't get random invites, ever. Usually only from my guild's resident bear tank.

Edited by Iyeru, 14 May 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#62 Splendens

Splendens

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:45 PM

Or people playing priest just think they are a god and we must offer them the parties done even de drop for them (i found a priest with conditions, we had to give him all green drops)
Really, some priests thinks the are gods, and we have to pray them...

OMG! I hope you wrote down that person's name so you remember to never party with them again. That's so bad that it's laughable.

As someone else said, being a FS priest can be pretty exhausting. I consider my priest to be my "main" character, but most of my friends don't because I spend more time on my knight. It feels like a similar amount of time, though. Being a priest is so tiring because whenever something goes wrong, the priest is usually the one who gets blamed for it. Even if nothing goes wrong, if someone thinks that something MIGHT go wrong, the priest gets yelled at anyway. People will run out of your range and then yell at you if you don't chase them. They'll get mad at you if you prioritize the tank. They'll get mad at you if you get killed by 10 adds. They'll get mad at you if you heal yourself so that you don't get killed by 10 adds. They'll get mad at you if they think your heal isn't good enough, or if your highness heal is on cooldown and you're using your regular heal. They'll get mad at you if their equipment breaks and it cuts their HP down. They'll get mad if you need to rest between areas to recover SP.

I've seen it all. Playing a priest is usually fun with my friends. Playing a priest is not usually fun with strangers. When it is fun with strangers, usually they become friends.

As a tank knight I've never been yelled at or blamed for something going wrong. My assassin and my rogue never get yelled at. My beastmaster never got yelled at. Sorc and wizard: never yelled at.

Basically, the only character I've been treated poorly on is my priest. And I know that's not exclusive to me.

I can't blame priest players for being somewhat short tempered and I can't blame em for being picky about parties either. They've probably dealt with a lot of crap.

Though I don't doubt that there are some priest players who are just rude dudes.

#63 Deanleroy

Deanleroy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationThe Rigs
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 14 May 2013 - 06:52 PM

Some priests I have teamed up with have been the most generous and enjoyable to game with. I sometimes don't accept random invites (tank character) because I am more geared to be a solo fighter even if I am around stuff 5 levels higher. I can hold my own. What I don't like is when I'm soloing a boss enemy and someone parties me just so they can get in on the kill when it's almost dead. I'll stick around while you help me from the start, but don't come and put a invite box in my face when im in the middle of power potting a stupid amount of Boas and Amanti simultaenously. I'm kinda busy.

#64 Aeynia

Aeynia

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationThe Cradle Of The Mind

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

So I've been leveling an FS Priest and a Hybrid Sorc.

As a healer, I feel that I'm allowed to be picky with my party - I'm tired of joining randomers berating my healing skill because they're too dumb to move out of AoE or let the tank grab aggro.

#65 ArcIgnis

ArcIgnis

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

I've made a suggestion of having an optional choice to have : "Easy Mode" adjusted to be a solo run so parties are no longer required to clear quests but drop rates are lowered significantly.

Edited by ArcIgnis, 14 May 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#66 Lunabay

Lunabay

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

I'm not saying that all priests are like this, but the topic brought a very specific event to mind. ^^;

I was looking for a party in the lower-level dungeon area, as a DPS Sorc, with no luck. There were many more DPS also asking for party. A tank showed up, then finally a priest, both asking to join a party. So, I started inviting all of them starting with the priest. The priest saw it was just me at first and instantly quit the party. The others accepted. So I said looking for healer. Same priest whispered, "I'm a healer, invite."

o__O;

Edited by Lunabay, 14 May 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#67 MutekiElements

MutekiElements

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Well of course one can't generalize in things like this, but there's always the hilarious/silly cases.

I recall a priest who once replied back:

"I'll join if ur a girl" Using that spelling.)

Gave me and my guildies a good laugh.
As with every other class, all sorts of people play them :P

Edited by MutekiElements, 14 May 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#68 Illana

Illana

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:21 PM

I hope third job tier makes knights into crusaders and allows them to be primary healers.

Priest being the only viable healer in a game with 10 classes is terrible game design.

#69 Tsukura

Tsukura

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm kind of scared that this thread still keeps going.. I suppose that it is always good to discuss healers as they are one of the main things needed in any game. I would have to say that being a priest is one thing I love to do since I get to help people and make them happy by allowing them do play what they want. (Even though I want to be a healer anyway. xD)

On the topic of how people mistreat priests... Or anyone in general, I can say in example that I do not like to deal with people who think that a healers job is ever easy. It may "look" easy, but the people who do make it look easy. Are some really talented players who are good at healing. But nothing is ever easy spam healing everyone under the sun, trying to squish in other spells to regen/buff other spells, and prevent that one poor shmuck who stayed in the wrong place stay alive.

I'm not the best priest.. I do have a temper.. But I do admire the people who can essentially "walk through hell with a smile."

#70 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:32 PM

You can edit what shows up in your chat tabs, just fyi.

Yes, I know. But that doesn't change the fact that the chat system in this game is severely limiting. It doesn't flash a tabbed chat or play a sound when you receive whispers like it does in other games (WoW, RO2, Aion). I don't even want to start with the fact that this damn game carried over the horrible character limit.

#71 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

I hope third job tier makes knights into crusaders and allows them to be primary healers.

Priest being the only viable healer in a game with 10 classes is terrible game design.

It's horrible because you obviously haven't heard of Sorcerers like most ignorant people.

#72 Illana

Illana

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

It's horrible because you obviously haven't heard of Sorcerers like most ignorant people.

key word in my post

"Viable"

#73 MutekiElements

MutekiElements

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

key word in my post

"Viable"

Was about to highlight this lol.

#74 Zhenocnra

Zhenocnra

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:54 PM

key word in my post

"Viable"

;< That's unfortunate. You must attract all of the horrible healing sorcerers with your elitist high standards for everyone but yourself.

#75 Illana

Illana

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

;< That's unfortunate. You must attract all of the horrible healing sorcerers with your elitist high standards for everyone but yourself.

So far I've not yet met a sorc who knows he CAN heal.

Do sorcs heal in raids at level 50?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users