17 replies to this topic

#1 Ginsterunit

Ginsterunit

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:34 PM

What do you think is better overall as a main tank.

I've leveled both to 28 but I just cant decide, I like them both

#2 Odyn3k

Odyn3k

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:39 PM

I don't think a BM is a valid Maintank later on. He is better used as Offtank cause he can switch between forms that are tanky and can DPS.
If you want to concentrate on tanking late-game, I commend you a Knight/Warrior or a Monk. The knight is the perfect tanker imo.
BM is more fun to play though...
At the end its about what you want, but if you want to be a maintank someday, go warrior.

#3 Puub

Puub

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:48 PM

I say BM is a better tank. Of course to each his own. BM Grizzly form has a hp increase of 65% lv 5 and can atk/dps/heal itself. Example: went into a moonlight dun, one priest a warrior, knight, and sorc. The warrior was 2 lvs higher than me showing off his 3 purple gears and boasting about his tanky-ness. Priest got too close and died. The walls fell. Sorc died, knight died, warrior died. Myself with no pots, only blue gear lv 34 at the time, tanked the boss ALONE from half life to about 1k hp left untill i could not atk heal anymore and died. (boss had half life and i got it to 1k) With propper gears and or skill, BM is a damn good tank. But unlike the first guy, i have not played warrior. Again this is just how i see it, and that warrior might have sucked donkey balls. I was pretty damn happy i lived as long as i did. BMS RULE!

#4 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Warrior makes a better main tank simply due to Defender. BM have little to really rely on except for Survival. Warrior can gather more mobs via Brandish Storm and is naturally more tankier due to skills. Having health is great and all, but having no defenses leaves you very easy to kill.

I doubt people will take BM to be main tank seriously, especially compared to Monk's insane defense or Knight's utilities or Warrior's mobbing abilities. Then again, BM are pretty rare and pretty cool (that roll).

#5 LordInuyasha

LordInuyasha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:02 PM

Warrior makes a better main tank simply due to Defender. BM have little to really rely on except for Survival. Warrior can gather more mobs via Brandish Storm and is naturally more tankier due to skills. Having health is great and all, but having no defenses leaves you very easy to kill.

I doubt people will take BM to be main tank seriously, especially compared to Monk's insane defense or Knight's utilities or Warrior's mobbing abilities. Then again, BM are pretty rare and pretty cool (that roll).

uhh. no defence ? lol.. check again griz form gives a wopping 50% added defence so.. no defence. yea thats bull lol. u probably havnt seen this form. because not many BMs tank if thier is already a tank in thier party who has the job but if they are doing poorly. we can always switch from bear to griz and do a better job. a tanking. than warrior. imo. thats just how ive noticed lately. warriors are more of the offtank. but they can maintank well. but we have self heals. good self heals to keep us alive for a verry long time.

#6 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

The +50% is nice, but BMs have a lower base defence to begin with. I don't think they can manage higher DEF/Dodge/Parry than Warriors can (maybe DEF can get higher due to scaling), but their HP and self regenerating abilities definitely make up for it.

Have you seen that Baphomet Hard Mode guide video? A Warrior and BM main tanking together. I say do what you want with them.

Edited by Chocs, 29 May 2013 - 01:36 AM.

#7 LordInuyasha

LordInuyasha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

Ok chocs but you are refering to a hard dungeon. in terms of that yea warrior would be the better tank im talkin about just overall. Meco made it seem like BMs are just trash when it comes to tanking and they have weak defences. and 1 survival skill. thats verry not true. thats what im getting at.

#8 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 06:23 AM

Beastmasters are HP tankers. They do not have the solid defences that Knights, Monks and Warriors have, but their versatility is what gives them the edge when it comes to switching roles if needed. Have troubles for the off-tanking? Use the AoE skill to knock down up to 10 mobs. Have troubles with main tanking because of enrage? Feral defense. Have troubles with DPS? Bear form. They have the capability of tanking, but its their versatility that defines their class.

#9 LordInuyasha

LordInuyasha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

Dont forget. Survival. and Cruel Bite. I made a warrior in IC look bad because he couldnt tank at all the fool kept getting 3 shotted by the 2nd boss -_- while im just healing myself away with barely any help from the priest :P and yes he had his little defence buff skill maxed :S.

#10 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:25 PM

Ok chocs but you are refering to a hard dungeon. in terms of that yea warrior would be the better tank im talkin about just overall. Meco made it seem like BMs are just trash when it comes to tanking and they have weak defences. and 1 survival skill. thats verry not true. thats what im getting at.

I'm not sure what you took from my post. I'm saying that they both work well as main tank since they both can tank Hard Baphomet.

The comment about defence was just a clarification.

#11 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 01 June 2013 - 04:35 PM

lol monks

#12 Canasaurus

Canasaurus

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:45 AM

Warriors are overall better if you can get one to be fully geared (and I mean very well geared). BM works with little funding and can main tank or off tank.

#13 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

In the best of gear. Tanks go as thus. Warrior > Knight > Monk = BM for MT

OT Warrior > Knight > BM > Monk

Reasons. Top gear levels, Warrior gets highest avoidance stats and capable of reachign 100% parry easily along with having a decent self heal and aoe knockdowns. Knights, i dont think i have to explain but have nice avoidance as it is, and 2 defensive cooldowns one of which affects whole raid. Monk is very good MT 1 on 1 but falls horribly off on aoe'ing tanking more than 3 mobs. BM has high hp and a good party/raid heal also, but nothing else noteworthy.

#14 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 02 June 2013 - 06:08 PM

BM doesn't token comp anything good tho :x

#15 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:55 PM

For those of you who think BMs aren't as good as the other three tank classes I just tanked both vadons in PvE H after the other tank died. I also tanked pertus with only one sorc going FS after both priests and the other sorc died. Beastmaster effectiveness in tanking depends on what you spec in (obviously). A BM who puts points into bear will have a better time leveling up but i'd like to clarify that this will not help you tank in any way shape or form. For any BM serious about tanking this is best left at level 1. The same applies to tiger form. A BM who first puts points into any skill that will keep you alive longer for even a second can easily out tank any of the other tank classes. And yes this means feral defense and frenzy. If you dont see the benefits in these then you better hope your priests can keep you alive when your hp dips below 25%.

#16 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:21 PM

For those of you who think BMs aren't as good as the other three tank classes I just tanked both vadons in PvE H after the other tank died. I also tanked pertus with only one sorc going FS after both priests and the other sorc died. Beastmaster effectiveness in tanking depends on what you spec in (obviously). A BM who puts points into bear will have a better time leveling up but i'd like to clarify that this will not help you tank in any way shape or form. For any BM serious about tanking this is best left at level 1. The same applies to tiger form. A BM who first puts points into any skill that will keep you alive longer for even a second can easily out tank any of the other tank classes. And yes this means feral defense and frenzy. If you dont see the benefits in these then you better hope your priests can keep you alive when your hp dips below 25%.

instead of picking apart just how and why you're wrong, i'll just leave a link here.

http://guidescroll.c...asses-analysis/

#17 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:52 PM

instead of picking apart just how and why you're wrong, i'll just leave a link here.

From that link: "Monks/BMs are the better Single Target Tanks, but lack the AoE needed to handle adds."

"Single Target Tanks" ie. Main Tanking.

So how exactly are they wrong?

#18 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:43 AM

That guide takes both MT and OT roles into consideration. Every party needs a warrior or knight because of their effectiveness against adds and just as well a party can go into a raid dungeon with just a warrior and knight, but that's about where it ends. A party can and several have gone in with just a BM and monk but dealing with adds is a pain since it's just spamming pots and a three target aoe, hoping you can keep the adds from attacking the dps that's hopefully putting them down. In regards to an MT role, BMs and monks are definitely the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users