• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 buffheman

buffheman

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

I'm currently leveling a ranger, knight, and monk because I like that you can see so many characters on the selection screen, and I want them to all look cool. Normally I don't play so any characters at once, especially for such a menial reason, but I can't help it... anyway, on to the questions.

Because my ranger is DPS and my knight will be a main tank, I was thinking I'd go hybrid/off-tank or whatever with my Monk for playstyle differentiation. The problem being, I don't really know what an off tank does. I don't have a lot of raid experience in mmo games... I'm accustomed to the 'tank/healer/bunch of DPS' combo.

Does an off tank build differ from a main tank build?

Should I just spec DPS and trust that the unanvoidable defensive skills will make me an off tank?

How exactly does the role differ in a party?

Thanks for the help. I'm prepared for the possibility of just having two main tank classes. Orrrrr, I could spec either the knight or monk for PvP. I just thought of that...

#2 RevLoveJoy

RevLoveJoy

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Odin

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:25 AM

I`ll address the last question:

Off-tanks are those whose job is to take aggro from the spawned adds to protect the Healers and Ranged DPS. Raising threat ASAP on 6 to 12 mobs is their top priority. If there is only one main tank in the party and dies, the off-tank is expected assume the job of tanking the boss temporarily.

Usually a tank Warrior is assigned in raids because of its versatility. Aura Armor, Defender, Battle Leap, and Brandish Storm is what makes them perfect for the job. They not only hold aggro but significantly damage them adds as well.

Knights could off tank as well but their Grand Cross AoE is not as strong and it's immobile compared to Brandish Storm.

Monks have Heavy Tackle and Lightning Crush to get the attention of 3 adds. Because of that, Monks are not really made for off-tanking even when they like spamming expensive red pots just to raise threat. A healer constantly healing party people would most likely out-threat a Monk from adds. Monks, as I see them, are better for main tanking 1v1.

If you wanna DPS spec, maybe you should consult the other Monk threads here. Honestly, I've never met a DPS Monk ingame for my entire RO2 gaming life.

#3 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:35 AM

Monks aren't good at picking up multiple mobs so they aren't as good for off tanking. DPS monks are average - they do damage but they aren't build for high damage output.

#4 buffheman

buffheman

I am New.

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:47 AM

Ah ok... perhaps main tank with monk and off tank with knight then. I shall move to the knight forums!

#5 Beexy

Beexy

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGotham City
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Batcave

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:47 PM

Yeup exactly like what they said above, if anything your knight will have more tools to play as off-tank then your monk.
Therefore, it's better if you prioritize your monk as MT while on the case of your knight, you can basically play both roles without any real dropoff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users