Item Scams and You - New Player Zone and General Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Item Scams and You

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Greetings everyone!

Recently there have been a lot of reports of users being scammed of their items. We ask that you please visit this knowledge base for more information on how to avoid being scammed.

https://support.warp...ng-and-you.aspx

#2 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

Can we add some tips?

- Try to avoid direct WPE trade unless you can ensure yourself (like B>WPE code first). Better sell your KP items.
- Same thing above applies for over 2b deal and luxury items. At least split them up in equal amount. Example: 2.5b/3 = 830m per trade. If the items are on set (like 3 asprika for example), split them with similar way.
- Get another contact to your friend or guild mates: facebook, forum users, email, ventrillo, and more. If anything suspicious, you can ask them outside game and confirm.

#3 michaeleeli

michaeleeli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2784 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil/Chaos

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:58 PM

Love this!

For Exvee's second point, to expand it further, anything above 1b trades should be done carefully - a larger trade can be requested to do by the GMs.
For example, for a 2b trade, someone might tell you to give them 1b first before giving the item. Obviously they might just run away after the first 1b.
Thus, you can counter it by adding in collateral. For example, you can give them 1b+two +9hbp for the 2b item. After the trade, you give them 1b for the two +9 hbp back.
If you don't have things to add in as collateral, at least do 1b + item first - that way if one party scams, at least they aren't scammed of everything, compared to you losing everything and gaining nothing.

Scammers will also sometimes use their "mains" as traders. Obviously those "mains" are borrowed accounts with almost empty things. This will trick you into thinking they are trustworthy...but still, be careful.

Lastly, a golden & very selfish rule for yourself: Just don't give out your things first. Then you won't ever be scammed. (It's a selfish tip ofc to protect yourself as long as you know You aren't the scammer. If everyone did this no one would be trading =p But that is a rule I follow 100% because I know I trust myself).

Edited by michaeleeli, 23 May 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#4 Edstyle

Edstyle

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationJapan
  • Server:Feeding Homunculus

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Lastly, a golden & very selfish rule for yourself: Just don't give out your things first. Then you won't ever be scammed. (It's a selfish tip ofc to protect yourself as long as you know You aren't the scammer. If everyone did this no one would be trading =p But that is a rule I follow 100% because I know I trust myself).

btw thats works on real life too

#5 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:49 AM

"refugees"

The term you're looking for is collateral.

#6 michaeleeli

michaeleeli

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2784 posts
  • Server:Yggdrasil/Chaos

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:06 PM

The term you're looking for is collateral.

Lol yes I was just saying that word before typing up that thing, but I just couldn't freaggin remember it -.- hope someone would've pointed it out

#7 zr0rieu

zr0rieu

Universal Translator

• Members
  • 3475 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

Well, shouldn't have been sharing your account info :)

#8 AmonRA

AmonRA

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1927 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:05 PM

hmmm, ok i see, but when this happening:
Spoiler

So... this happening today, 1 rogue alt from ca.... i cant tell guild names sorry, put this chat telling about me, but idk why LOL, and so fun chat with password and no evidence, and tell him a lot things and get dc fast LOL!.

i think i can report him, but the ticket system is working now?...

#9 ddwwqdq

ddwwqdq

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:40 AM

dont trust anyone is the lesson this game teaches you.

don't open trade, dont reply to a single PM, don't talk to anyone, and you will be golden! =)

#10 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:18 AM

A GM will always have the RO GM sprite. It is impossible for a normal player to obtain this sprite, so don't be fooled by a level 1 Novice saying they're a GM!

Someone once asked me for my password wearing summer style clothes looking like he is ready to go to the beach.

#11 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:15 AM

Someone once asked me for my password wearing summer style clothes looking like he is ready to go to the beach.

Gms will never need to ask for your password.

#12 GuardianTK

GuardianTK

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9388 posts
  • LocationIn a certain mansion
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Chaos Renewal + Odin

Posted 07 August 2013 - 10:33 AM

Whenever a GM in-game PMs you personally, you'll almost always see an announcement-like message on the top of your screen along with what you'll see on your chat. If you see the GM sprite, it will be highlighted in yellow instead of white. The differences are extremely obvious between talking to a player and a GM.

#13 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

I don't get why people fall for password request scams and have to be told an agent/gm/employee/etc won't ask for their password. A database admin, game owner, company, etc., has FULL access to your data, password be damned. And generally, they can't see your pass so they can't authenticate you that way.

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:41 PM

I don't get why people fall for password request scams and have to be told an agent/gm/employee/etc won't ask for their password. A database admin, game owner, company, etc., has FULL access to your data, password be damned. And generally, they can't see your pass so they can't authenticate you that way.

Most people think it's a way to prove that an account is theirs. I think there was a chain mail from way back when that said this and is why this train of thought still persists.

#15 leiand

leiand

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2070 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

So when scammed what happens to the scammer? and the item/s at hand?

#16 HeIIraiser

HeIIraiser

Too Legit To Quit

• Banned
  • 1201 posts
  • LocationUranus

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Someone tried to scam me earlier :heh:  nice try buddy!  I am not falling for your tricks.

#17 DylanShadowlocke

DylanShadowlocke

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:33 PM

I just thought I would share my experience. One guy tried to scam me today and I want to make sure he doesn't fool anyone.

His name was *snip*

He PMed me in Eden and said that he would give me a Ring of Flame Lord and a Ring of Renaissance if I log into his website using my personal WP account data to vote for him.

I saved screenshots. Nice trying to steal my account buddy, I'm not an idiot. Hope you get banned. :p_laugh:

#18 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 19 August 2013 - 08:24 AM

You aren't supposed to name people on the forums but it's always best to ignore things that involve visiting a website and using WP info. I never visit links posted by people in-game, this has been going around a lot.

#19 yuji21

yuji21

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

hmm well what if your friend scam u in game? >_> that sucks

#20 ShiveringShadows

ShiveringShadows

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 853 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

Did you even bother to read the guide...

#21 TheQuietStorm

TheQuietStorm

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1001 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Server:chaos>ymir>chaos

Posted 20 September 2013 - 02:48 AM

there is another one active in asking people to vote for fanclub!

dont get yourself fooled people!

ps -  017-19BF3502-016C

#22 yuji21

yuji21

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 82 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:07 PM

=O i did read it.. my friend was scammed >_> just concern about her..
is it posible to recall an item ? >_<

#23 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:55 PM

why would you give personal information to somebody and NOT expect to get ripped off? if somebody just walked up to you on the street and said " ill give you a brand new car if you give me your name, date of birth, mothers maiden name and social security number" do you really think youre gonna get a car? or do you think that person is going to steal your identity? its the same as with giving out your login name and password...

#24 albaoregine

albaoregine

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 817 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Campitor I sent a ticket already, but it's been 1wk and still no reply from you guys. Hope you read this message.

#25 leiand

leiand

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2070 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

I sent in a ticket, and had it recorded too. along with deal i made. But the response... is to be received....

IDK why ppl scams for. then put up their chat S>gears and they are poor....

LOL my ticket is just Sway` in the wind.

Edited by leiand, 10 October 2013 - 04:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users