#1 En42

En42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:41 AM

(This is only for PvE)

100% Damage reduction for 13 seconds sounds really good... except that you're stuck into place and, basically, out of the fight.

If you've managed to build up a lot of aggro it could give the healer time enough to top up your party or for people to get a potion or two down. That's it: IF.

So, is anyone actually using feral defense? I find it so situational I'm really tempted to ditch it, even going as main tank. Am I overlooking something obvious?

#2 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:48 AM

You are. If the boss enrages, who can hold down the boss long enough that you might be able to kill it? You can also to use it to prepare for the possibility of double AoEs

#3 En42

En42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 05:54 AM

Ok, but while I'm doing the big scared bear thing I'm not generating aggro. How's the party supposed to kill the enraged boss if they're going to pass over the tank's aggro and get killed for the trouble?
Or is it that by the enrage point you're so ahead with the aggro that you can just dance for the rest of the encounter and no one's going to pass you over?

Double AoE I get, but then you're stuck there for the 13 frigging seconds doing nothing... and we return again to building up aggro and losing it doing nothing.

Edited by En42, 23 May 2013 - 05:55 AM.

#4 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:15 AM

You should be able to generate more than enough threat to hold off a DPS' aggro when it reaches an enraging point.

#5 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:12 PM

I'm built as an off tank, but I've been playing main tank in raids lately. So i have it at level 1 and honestly don't see it mandatory as a main tank.

#6 En42

En42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

I'm built as an off tank, but I've been playing main tank in raids lately. So i have it at level 1 and honestly don't see it mandatory as a main tank.

Out of curiosity, have you ever used it?

#7 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:21 AM

It's level 1 why would I?

#8 En42

En42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:40 AM

Well, it does provide 20% dmg reduction, just wondering if you ever found yourself in a situation where it would have been useful

#9 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:55 AM

Nah. I am more than capable of providing myself with burst healing if i really need to. Cruel bite, survival, maestro potion is about a 5k heal with end game gear.

In severe situations I usually just kite the boss by grizzly+beast roar then switching to tiger form. This way you are keeping aggro and have more than enough healing burst to sustain yourself even without cruel bite.

#10 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Do be aware that 13 seconds is enough to lose *all* of your stocked Beast Power, so I would be careful when using it for it's full duration. It;s a very useful tool, but also a very dangerous tool if used iat the wrong times. especially since a few bosses spawn adds when they reach enrage...and promptly kill the priest.

Edited by ODKN, 25 May 2013 - 04:01 AM.

#11 En42

En42

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

Wait, you mean you can turn it off before the whole 13 seconds? :p_omg:
(I never even tried tbh)

#12 ODKN

ODKN

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location????, Nebraska
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:38 AM

Wait, you mean you can turn it off before the whole 13 seconds? :p_omg:
(I never even tried tbh)

You can turn it off like any other buff by clicking it's icon. Just be sure not to cancel your food by mistake. :P

#13 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:02 PM

It's a situational skill, I've been in situations where both tank and OT had highest aggro easily, and one of the priests dropped due random targeting kill, and I just needed to stay alive until other priest came back online. It's useful when two important things are being tanked at once, and yours is not the one being DPS'd.

Not a 100% necessary skill imo, but a pretty good place for extra points if you have them.

Edited by Sera, 03 June 2013 - 05:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users