Beast Masters - What to spec in first?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 SuperGlue

SuperGlue

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 302 posts
  • LocationOceania (servers are sooo far away)
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:02 AM

Hey all, so I'm nearing that time where I job change and was planning to maybe max all the animal skills first then working my way through the skill tree.

Is this the smartest thing to do? Or should I focus on Tiger/Grizz or Tiger/Bear first?

Still don't have a clear clue if I want to be a main or off tank :/

Any insight is appreciated!

#2 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

At 25 I went something like this.
http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0

That way you have most of what you need for the early dungeons and pvm isn't painfully slow.

#3 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:48 AM

PVM shouldn't be painfully slow regardless, I just turned bear and did this:
Leaving enough points to get grizzly if I want, and everything dies plenty fast and it leaves your options open to see what you want to do with the character. I'm still not convinced by Leo that fury strike needs to be maxed ;)
I guess wild crush didn't need to be maxed yet either, but I like DoTs... they add up and I regularly have wild crush finish off my opponent when my finisher didn't quite finish them yet.

#4 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:00 AM

You just turned beastmaster and mobs are no brainer that early. Later in the game when mobs start having 3-4k hp you are going to regret not putting points into fury strike. It's a large part of you're consistent burst.

As a main tank I can see fury strike max being arguable i guess it depends on how you feel about feral defense, but as an off tank you need to max this skill.

Edited by Leokimah, 26 May 2013 - 03:15 AM.

#5 Memitaru

Memitaru

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:39 PM

You can spec main tank or off tank later, they max most of the same things.

This was my build and tanking dungeons has been a breeze. As you get to a higher level you can spec off tank from this as well:

http://www.ro2skills...ml?106ceorfdnqn

If you're looking to be more DPS at 25, try this:

http://www.ro2skills...ml?106cenaSdFqn

#6 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

I went with this build: http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0
i didnt put any points into bear form since the game pretty much starts at level 50 and after abandoned lab BMs aren't really viable for dps so you'll just be tanking. The maxed damage skills at the start also make bear form unnecessary for leveling and even in grizzly form your damage is on par with like leveled dps classes.
That build then led into this: http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0 which has all of your tank and dps skills maxed out (exept bear which you wont need while tanking). frenzy and both stuns are maxed because they all count as defensive skills since you can spam heals and you'll regularly get swarmed by adds that can be stunned, while at the same time they can be offensive since frenzy lets you spam fury/brutal strike and the stuns help a lot in colo. beast tornado is broken and tiger form for kiting isnt as reliable as just spamming pots and heal skills, you can even kite the mob(s) around the fat raid bosses while spamming your heal skills in grizzly form

Though if you really want to shine as a lowbie dps you can max out bear form with all of your damage skills at level 25: http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0
and then go for frenzy for epic burst damage. In theory you could optimize all of your damage skills like so: http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0
This would give you max BM damage potential and i threw in the stuns and survival to help with colo and keep you just ahead of rangers in terms of squishiness, if there's any semblance of variety and class balance this should be able to match rangers in dps (quite literally everything that does damage short of cruel bite which you'll only use in a pinch is maxed out) Although BMs truly shine as tanks, if anyone wants to try this dps build please tell me how it goes ^^

Edited by Turniper, 27 May 2013 - 05:33 AM.

#7 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:27 PM

Maxing fury would actually be good if it didn't have a 2 minute cooldown and only lasted for 20 seconds. Going to be pretty hard to convince anyone to max that skill lol.

#8 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:44 PM

Maxing fury would actually be good if it didn't have a 2 minute cooldown and only lasted for 20 seconds. Going to be pretty hard to convince anyone to max that skill lol.

1: great for getting those high powered kill stealing moves in colo
2: helps generate aggro at the start when its most important
3: you can quickly spam heal yourself in any situation that calls for it: AoEs, Priests/MT down, add swarm, and boss rage (if you have FD and some good priests a BM can last at least 33s if the boss doesnt use an aoe attack while raging ^^)
4: helps generate even more aggro if necessary
5: in terms of burst damage it's pretty much on par with falcon assault as long as you dont get stunned or miss all of your shots

also take into consideration that tanking goes pretty smoothly for the most part if you have good priests. the main challenge to tanks is that one point when something goes wrong and you're taking in a lot more damage than what's being healed. pretty much every class has at least two skills that buff defense/dodge/parry temporarily to counter this while BMs are the best at this with feral defense and frenzy when both heals aren't enough. for dungeon bosses its not to big a deal but once you get to raids the BM's sheer survivability when things aren't going smoothly is what really makes it shine. (on a similar note high defense isnt that great when pretty much every raid boss has armor break)

Edited by Turniper, 26 May 2013 - 08:46 PM.

#9 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:55 PM

I knew i should have edited my post, but didn't because I would have thought people would realize that fury strike has no cool down and would have assumed I meant Frenzy.

I meant frenzy not fury strike.

Honestly with all these post regarding what skills to get I've come to the conclusion it doesn't really matter that much. I've been running raids with an off tank build, but playing the main tank role. Never had any problems with that at all. Maxing skills like feral defense, tiger form, and frenzy all come down to preference in the end.

#10 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

I'm pretty sure Turniper did read it as frenzy, how are you going to spam heal yourself with fury strike... Quite an interesting approach, but I'll stick with more DPS and Tiger for now, also because I tend to not really stick with anything long enough to really do much endgame. If I do though, I may reskill and try that way.
Wouldn't max wild crush help you more than max brutal strike though? Over 10 seconds it does as much damage as brutal strike, which at that point still is at half its cooldown. Brutal strike would be more bursty to grab that initial threat, but you need BP first, which wild crush incidentally is very good at generating. Or does DoT not generate threat by any chance?

Edited by Finraziel, 26 May 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#11 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:23 PM

Half of his points do not.

#12 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

I can see how all his points are related to frenzy... all those points hinge on getting BP faster so you can kick out your most damaging skills more often for more damage and threat, or use cruel bite more often for more heals.
Incidentally I also see more point to maxing fury strike with frenzy since you'll be kicking it out more often.

#13 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:18 AM

2,4,5 have hardly anything to do with what I stated. Either way I got his points, but it was unrelated to what I was pointing out.

Edit: I think we have derailed this thread enough. Most of the post here are now about what we got late game. Which is unrelated to the OP's question and I won't be surprised if this thread gets modded soon.

Edited by Leokimah, 27 May 2013 - 01:32 AM.

#14 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:27 AM

I actually did read that as frenzy. Double the beast points means you can use moves like brutal strike and fury strike more often so Finraziel had it right.

And end game builds does have a lot to do with what you put points in first. Some skills might be useful early on but will see almost no use end game making it pointless to get the at the start. Bear form is a prime example here since it's great for questing and finding parties as a dps early on but end game on sea i found that i didnt use it at all.

#15 Leokimah

Leokimah

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:55 AM

For 20 seconds! Has a 2 minute cool down. That is not worth it. Still not convinced.

You are wrong about bear form. I like to solo farm some of the lower level dungeons and since mobs miss 80% of the time using grizzly to do this is a waste of time because of damage comparison. I've been running the sunken ship for easy level 40 gear for artisan and blacksmithing.

#16 Kitey

Kitey

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:21 AM

Tiger form is useless until end game and even then it's arguable imo... I'd rather tank and self heal than kite mobs on beastmaster, I would suggest putting one point into each skill and maxing Grizzly and Survival you can then put points into Fury Strike or Brutal Strike whichever you prefer to maximise damage or bear form but the 30% attack bonus isn't really that noticeable especially at level 25 while the 65% hp and defence boost is extremely helpful I haven't needed to use a single potion since job changing using this build.. that being said yes bear form becomes a lot more useful when you have high attack already at level 40+ but until then it's all about the grizzly

Tiger is srsly a waste at low level just use your peco until you cap lol

Fury is also a waste since you can accumulate enough beastpower with your normal attacks the extra 20-100% isn't going to make much of a difference I would much rather max my single and aoe stuns than be able to get off one or two more cruel bites in collo and if you need fury to survive a boss or something you're obviously not in a party that's very well suited for what you're attempting

In short it's best to be able to use all your skills and maximise your tanking capabilities since that's what beastmasters are best at than using one of the other crap builds that focuses on putting points into cruel bite or something else too early and limiting what you can actually do, cruel bite is a base 10% max hp heal so the only reason to put points into it is for the extra damage and 2% isn't noticeable until end game imo even then I'd still rather have stuns with shorter cooldowns

Edited by Kitey, 28 May 2013 - 12:24 AM.

#17 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 07:43 AM

I maxed both bear and grizzly (and survival and wild crush) at 25... I fight as bear, then when I get low on HP switch to grizzly and pop my survival and a few cruel bites, back to bear and I'm at full HP. I definitely notice the 30% increased damage output from bear, killing things in grizzly form is a lot slower. Switching to Bear gives you about as much of a damage boost as maxing all your attack skills...

#18 Turniper

Turniper

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:07 PM

This might need another thread but what about cruel bite as a damage skill? Maxed out it does 33% damage which is only a little less than half of a 50 BP fury strike. Even though it costs 30 BP making two cruel bite attacks do less damage and cost more BP it still has a much shorter animation letting you pull off two bites and another rage smash/wild crush in the same amount of time amounting to more damage with some BP left over and the added bonus of a 20% heal.

#19 LordInuyasha

LordInuyasha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:17 PM

I think ima go with Fins build that he got for 25. because it seems like. he got the best of both worlds. in terms of tanking and doing damage early on sumthing like this i think

Because out of the few classes i tried. sum of the quests for like. lvl 24+ where verry hard for me to do on my other characters. like i literally almost had to party for mostly everything. Now idk. might have just been my gears. but i wasnt lvl 25. yet. but i didnt think it would be that hard to kill a mob just a lvl over me. or 2 lvls. but boy was i wrong.
http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.3/0.0.0.0.0

^ tis is what i plan on at 50 only reason why i didnt max. feral defense. Im not really... sure about that skill. over any other sure u get a huge. damage reduction. but. for 13s? on a 180 sec cooldown? personally. i dont think. its even worth while. and my brother has this same build and he says he is doing just fine. tanking with it at 1. so ima stick with this for now and see what happens. But so far. i havnt seen any problems with it.

Edited by LordInuyasha, 28 May 2013 - 01:26 PM.

#20 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:39 PM

This might need another thread but what about cruel bite as a damage skill? Maxed out it does 33% damage which is only a little less than half of a 50 BP fury strike. Even though it costs 30 BP making two cruel bite attacks do less damage and cost more BP it still has a much shorter animation letting you pull off two bites and another rage smash/wild crush in the same amount of time amounting to more damage with some BP left over and the added bonus of a 20% heal.

It's just that cruel bite's returns on invested skillpoints is so low it feels like a waste to up it. It starts at 27% and then only goes to 33% for 4 skillpoints which is... kinda crappy. If you're sure you're going to be using it all the time it might still be worth it I guess, but it's also just fun to watch your bear do 10 hits in a second even if it's just for show. It kinda feels like the bear is a showman anyway, I mean, brutal strike looks like it came straight from WWF :P
I think you're overestimating how long fury strike takes though. From my testing I could do a fury strike every 2.4 seconds and a rage smash every 1.4, so fury strike only takes a second longer than rage smash and I don't think you could do even one cruel bite in that time.

edit: Inuyasha, fighting monsters above your own level sucks in this game because you start missing like crazy... I try to make sure I'm at least equal level to the bulk of what I'm fighting, the occasional one at 1 level higher is ok, but any more and it's just too frustrating. Don't really like this mechanic myself, I feel it's an artificial limitation the game forces onto you, but that's the way it is.

Edited by Finraziel, 28 May 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#21 LordInuyasha

LordInuyasha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 04:04 AM

but i mean so far as an archer atm. im doing those quests that i had trouble with alot quicker. im guessing cuz the dps is like pretty crazy. atm lol Because before. Thiers one quest at like.. i think its lvl 23. that i had to kill some mushroom mobs. then a boss after. i sware.. archers.. walkin in thier. destroying mobs. and killin the boss in like.. wat couple seconds.. while on my Geared mage i couldnt even get it halfway without literally almost dieying lol. I know mages are squishy but i had the full blue set from wolf cave so i mean. normal mobs i did just fine. but it was like. i sucked against mini bosses lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users