5/29 Early Patch Notes - Page 7 - Renewal Patch Notes - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

5/29 Early Patch Notes

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

#151 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos when no Time Gaps

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

The last octet represents hundreds of possible IPs, each of which could rotate around thousands of different customers depending on the ISP. I shared four different IPs with people in the area when I had Windstream.

I know what the last Octnet represents. I can change mine hundreds of different ones too anytime I want.

That's strange that yours was shared with other people. The only way to share an IP Address is via a Wireless Connection or a Home Network & if people were sharing a Wireless Connection between multiple residents then the Wireless Connection was either not secure or purposely being shared.

How did you know what these other people IP's were :p_idea:

VMod01 Edit: removed quote with ROPD info and in game name.

Edited by VolunteerMod01, 02 June 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#152 TychoBrahe

TychoBrahe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 02 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

It would be strange for an ISP to allocate 4 IPs for my sole use with IPv4 addresses being in such short supply. ISPs rotate IPs around as people connect and disconnect, and sometimes even pipe multiple customers through a single IP with NAT. This is a good thing for anyone with an interest in networking to know.

https://en.wikipedia...rrier-grade_NAT

Edited by TychoBrahe, 02 June 2013 - 04:53 PM.

#153 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

It would be strange for an ISP to allocate 4 IPs for my sole use with IPv4 addresses being in such short supply. ISPs rotate IPs around as people connect and disconnect, and sometimes even pipe multiple customers through a single IP with NAT. This is a good thing for anyone with an interest in networking to know.

https://en.wikipedia...rrier-grade_NAT

It's not strange at all & that wasn't what you were talking about earlier. IP's are for your sole use as you just said however earlier you said you shared your IP with 4 other people :hmm:
You obviously have a Dynamic IP & not a Static one. I'm surprised that you are only limited to 4 though & not hundreds.

IP's just don't randomly rotate around though unless you're still using Dial-Up. Even if you reboot your computer or router, and/or are disconnected, you still keep the same IP address you had. If your IP was constantly changing on it's own it would mess up other things too. There are so many people, & things, today that use wireless connections that would have to be constantly reconfigured, if this happened.

There is still no way that more then one residence can be using the same IP, at the same time, unless they are sharing a wireless network that is not secure, unless they have the password.

Edited by Razzez, 02 June 2013 - 09:07 PM.

#154 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 02 June 2013 - 10:46 PM

clearly by the past few posts, you people have no idea how ip ban works.

if they ip ban a user, this means that they shut down entire lan centers, households, apartment buildings using wifi, schools using wifi. etc etc

the people that are actually botting from houses can easily just change their ips. or use proxy ips to mask themselves, so once again, only legitimate players would lose out. this is why most gaming companies have a strong policy of not banning IP addresses. World of warcraft made the mistake ONE TIME of doing this and lost 100s of millions of dollars and it ended with loss of jobs and the majority of banned accounts having to get restored with an apology letter sent out, since SO many people play from lan centers

the few people running this game have more important things to do then go through every map in the game and try to ban every bot. you would need at least 3-5 dedicated people just to handle that task daily

and for the smart asses that are gonna comment back 'thats rare': the majority of all Brazilian gamers play at LAN centers. you would wipe out almost an entire country through ip bans

I'm so sick of reading about BS. Everyone wants free handouts because theyre too lazy to do research or prepare properly, and the GM team is silent as hell about all of the important issues. Oda & Camp - I feel terribly bad for the both of you, having to deal with such a mess.

u mad bro?

Edited by killedbytofu, 02 June 2013 - 10:54 PM.

#155 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

if they ip ban a user, this means that they shut down entire lan centers, households, apartment buildings using wifi, schools using wifi. etc etc

Of course it would ban households that's the point of a ban. Unless you think it's okay for someone that's banned to just go & use another computer in the house.

the people that are actually botting from houses can easily just change their ips. or use proxy ips to mask themselves, so once again, only legitimate players would lose out. this is why most gaming companies have a strong policy of not banning IP addresses. World of warcraft made the mistake ONE TIME of doing this and lost 100s of millions of dollars and it ended with loss of jobs and the majority of banned accounts having to get restored with an apology letter sent out, since SO many people play from lan centers

the few people running this game have more important things to do then go through every map in the game and try to ban every bot. you would need at least 3-5 dedicated people just to handle that task daily

and for the smart asses that are gonna comment back 'thats rare': the majority of all Brazilian gamers play at LAN centers. you would wipe out almost an entire country through ip bans

I already said this at least a couple of times about people being able to use proxies & change IP's.

LOL the entire country. Like everyone in Brazil plays RO, at one LAN Center, as you call it. :p_idea:

Edited by Razzez, 03 June 2013 - 02:10 AM.

#156 TychoBrahe

TychoBrahe

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 03 June 2013 - 02:55 AM

There is still no way that more then one residence can be using the same IP, at the same time, unless they are sharing a wireless network that is not secure, unless they have the password.

I just told you how two distinct locations can have the same IP. ISPs use NAT too.

Let me summarize all this: IPs change. You can compel your ISP to change your IP even if you don't have a dynamic IP (rare), either through technical measures or a call to the ISP. Any number of people can use the same IP. Yes, even multiple distinct locations on the same IP. And unsecured wireless access points are abundant. Blocking an IP will only affect someone who wasn't breaking the rules since it's trivial to change your IP.

edit: I don't know why I'm going back and forth with you. Gravity has people who understand network administration, so it's not like you're going to change their minds on IP bans.

Edited by TychoBrahe, 03 June 2013 - 03:07 AM.

#157 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

I just told you how two distinct locations can have the same IP. ISPs use NAT too.

Let me summarize all this: IPs change. You can compel your ISP to change your IP even if you don't have a dynamic IP (rare), either through technical measures or a call to the ISP. Any number of people can use the same IP. Yes, even multiple distinct locations on the same IP. And unsecured wireless access points are abundant. Blocking an IP will only affect someone who wasn't breaking the rules since it's trivial to change your IP.

edit: I don't know why I'm going back and forth with you. Gravity has people who understand network administration, so it's not like you're going to change their minds on IP bans.

I don't either because now you are just repeating what I said long ago :p_idea:

#158 Fuuton

Fuuton

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2230 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 12:19 AM

They don't ignore the bots. The problem is with how they do banning. All they do is ban names. So even if they do ban someone that is botting all the person does is create another bot with another name. It's not like they aren't using multiple bots & clients in the first place. Why they aren't doing IP Bans is beyond on me since that would solve the majority of the problems. Sure there are ways around that too but it's not as simple as just creating a new character or continuing to use the existing ones they already have.

You, Tycho, and Meister have been going back and forth talking about networking a bunch. I dont know much about networking because i haven't studied it, but i do know that - as you all said - it is definitely possible to get around IP bans, at least for the goldseller & zeny farmer bots.

You gotta figure that one really clever person is running a string of those bots for the most profit. It could be a group of small people that take turns running shifts, but ideally you'd want a one/two man team for high gain - because it's not only zeny that's being farmed.. it's actual money. Not sure how many people actually buy zeny in secret but apparently its enough to keep those bots up and running. I dont know if its possible to create those random "ghihgdijbfg384" characters out of thin air without creating an actual warp portal account. If it is - that makes it super difficult to stop them. If it isn't possible to do that... what IS possible is to set aside a small portion of funding to keep creating new bogus accounts. Since email accounts are free to create, its impossible to run into a dead-end there. All you'd need would be limitless account creation - which could be paid for by the funding made from selling zeny.

Then stop reading the forum and/or the posts. It's that simple.

Really? And what would turning my back on the situation, rather than offering insight from a pissed-off perspective, accomplish? I seriously hope that's not your answer to life.

u mad bro?

"u" un-original bro? Don't even try to come at me with your childish BS. Adults are talking. Go play with yourself~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users