• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Reinalia

Reinalia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:25 PM

i realize the whole purpose of the assassin is it's shadow form for damage boost etc but is it possible to use the skills without having to go into said form?? i only ask because i saw some assassins going about attacking mobs while not in said form.

#2 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

No, you cannot use Assassin skills that require Shadow Form. Those Assassins you see are not using Shadow Form if you see them in human form.

Shadow Form increases attack and movement speed for an indefinite amount of time. Some Assassins, like myself, have compensated for that by utilizing stat foods.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 28 May 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#3 Rhint

Rhint

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:34 PM

The problem is that some of the assassin's best skills are only useable while in shadowform. From a spin kick that knocks your foe to the ground, to a special move that gives you three combo points on every use, and an executioner. So no, you can't use the bottom three skills without being in shadow form. :(

#4 Reinalia

Reinalia

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

;A; but but irugal doesnt need shadow fo- oh wait he's based on RO1's assassin nvm.

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:26 PM

I've managed as a dagger sin in RO, I can manage as a non-Shadow Form sin in RO2.

#6 Ihm

Ihm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Server:RO2 : Odin

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:39 AM

Problem is, you can use that same food with Shadow Form to be even stronger. 30% attack power boost is nothing to laugh at and is why Assassin are held highly as a damage dealer. By not using it you're severely damaging the job. I appreciate it's your character and you play it your way, but you're only holding everyone back when you're not able to hold your own on the job you're on. And please don't say I can hold my own, because you are 30% weaker than other Assassins.

#7 OniNoMeKyo

OniNoMeKyo

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • LocationHere (not there).
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Yet

Posted 29 May 2013 - 03:50 AM

The problem is that some of the assassin's best skills are only useable while in shadowform. From a spin kick that knocks your foe to the ground, to a special move that gives you three combo points on every use, and an executioner. So no, you can't use the bottom three skills without being in shadow form. :(

You can still use Shadow Explosion outside of Shadow Form, just not Shadow Strike and Shadow Assault.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Problem is, you can use that same food with Shadow Form to be even stronger. 30% attack power boost is nothing to laugh at and is why Assassin are held highly as a damage dealer. By not using it you're severely damaging the job. I appreciate it's your character and you play it your way, but you're only holding everyone back when you're not able to hold your own on the job you're on. And please don't say I can hold my own, because you are 30% weaker than other Assassins.

The only one I'm holding back is myself and that's my problem and mine alone. I don't expect to be invited to any party as I never got a party outside of friends in RO and I expect the same in RO2. I'm not here to be the best, I'm here to play the way I prefer to. There's plenty of other Assassins on the server people can party up with; no one's going to miss me.

#9 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 06:27 AM

The only one I'm holding back is myself and that's my problem and mine alone. I don't expect to be invited to any party as I never got a party outside of friends in RO and I expect the same in RO2. I'm not here to be the best, I'm here to play the way I prefer to. There's plenty of other Assassins on the server people can party up with; no one's going to miss me.

you're holding back your friends by purposely gimping your character. i can understand if you would prefer leveling one attack skill over the other, but choosing NOT to max and use shadow form is almost akin to choosing to use a melee character but refuse to use any weapons. or choosing to be a wizard but using wind/water spells from magician and 0 fire spells.

shadow form is literally what defines assassins. just like unstable doping is what defines rogues. its what makes them amazing. you choosing not to use it is just....whatever it makes my brain hurt trying to see it from your side. i get it. people don't want to be like everyone else but i mean...just in this situation *sigh* my brain hurts.

Edited by sephiroso, 30 May 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

If my friends want to party with me, they'd prefer my Monk regardless so no loss in leveling efficiency there.

I get what you guys are saying, but I'm going to do what I want to do. I mean, I play a dagger sin in RO even though RO sins are defined by katars. (I dare you to point out a dagger skill in the Thief and Asssassin trees that isn't Double Attack and has nothing to do with poison.)

It's funny how the community in both games all harp about how much customization there is to build your character, yet if someone does something that's not the "norm" they get shot down for it. I can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy.

#11 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

If my friends want to party with me, they'd prefer my Monk regardless so no loss in leveling efficiency there.

I get what you guys are saying, but I'm going to do what I want to do. I mean, I play a dagger sin in RO even though RO sins are defined by katars. (I dare you to point out a dagger skill in the Thief and Asssassin trees that isn't Double Attack and has nothing to do with poison.)

It's funny how the community in both games all harp about how much customization there is to build your character, yet if someone does something that's not the "norm" they get shot down for it. I can't help but laugh at the hypocrisy.

going dagger sin is COMPLETELY different from choosing not to use shadow form in this game. you weren't completely absolutely gimping yourself for using daggers rather than katars in RO1, but you are for not using shadow form. regardless as you say, you will do what you wish, just make sure you don't advise other assassins to do the same because you're giving them the worst possible advise that you possibly can.

Also RO1 had tons of customization because of the card system and the fact that equipment wasn't all locked to singular classes. Your skill build changed depending on what cards you had access to. Same with your stats.

Edited by sephiroso, 30 May 2013 - 12:23 PM.

#12 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 11:03 PM

going dagger sin is COMPLETELY different from choosing not to use shadow form in this game. you weren't completely absolutely gimping yourself for using daggers rather than katars in RO1, but you are for not using shadow form. regardless as you say, you will do what you wish, just make sure you don't advise other assassins to do the same because you're giving them the worst possible advise that you possibly can.

Playing a dagger sin in Renewal with crap damage in the tens and hundreds while watching katar sins pop out damage in the thousands feels pretty gimped to me. But I digress.

Don't worry, I definitely won't advise anyone to go without Shadow Form. I may be nuts, but I don't wish for others to follow in my sidesteps.

#13 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 31 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

i maxed my SF and stuff but i choose not to use it all the time
does that classify as gimping lol

#14 Rhint

Rhint

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 31 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Yeah this is pretty much what I do. In dungeons I use it, or when I absolutely need it. Elsewise, I play normally and god is it slow.

#15 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

You spent skill points on it, so no. I'm not spending any points at all on Shadow Form and its associate skills, which is totally gimping.

#16 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

Not getting Shadow Form is going to make you ridiculously weak. Going toe-to-toe with any class without it means you will lose most of the time. On top of that, you are NEVER going to get top DPS in groups or raids.

#17 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:33 PM

For sure, you'd have to be a real nutcase to go without it. (And yes, I did just refer to myself as a nutcase, which is perfectly accurate.)

#18 WhoodyWho

WhoodyWho

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

Pre-trans, dual dagger Assassin was very popular due to scaling fairly well with gear as far as auto attackers go. Dagger/shield was a common swap for Emperium breaking, even for katar types. As SinX, dual dagger fell off due to so many katar direct/indirect buffs, but daggers remained in style for Emperium breaking. In the case of SD, daggers were slightly less desirable than 1h swords for a time, until IP and CK hit the scene as they became more common, and again when Mes from Abbey overtook the lead for higher Atk values. Daggers were never in full fashion, but they had a large impression on the very diverse RO1 scene.

In terms of comparison, it would be much more apt to say that it's like Assassins who used 1h axes for funsies. Not using Shadow Form is a huge loss in all areas except style. But if someone is playing solo with no expectations for group content, there is zero drawback. Keep on being yourself, if that's how you choose to play. No such thing as playing wrong if it's how you have fun in your free time.

#19 Lawful

Lawful

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Why are people so bitchy about shadow form? ITs awesome, free 30% dmg buff and speed buff, you fight in it, you can be without shadow form in town if you care for your stylish looks, lol.

#20 Ihm

Ihm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:37 AM

Why are people so bitchy about shadow form? ITs awesome, free 30% dmg buff and speed buff, you fight in it, you can be without shadow form in town if you care for your stylish looks, lol.

Cause what you look like under the big numbers and flashy lights is important.

#21 Tetsamaru

Tetsamaru

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1458 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:16 AM

You are beautiful!!! No matter what they sayyyyyyy

~Words, Can't, Bring me....Dowwwwwwwwn~

#22 Ihm

Ihm

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

You are beautiful!!! No matter what they sayyyyyyy

~Words, Can't, Bring me....Dowwwwwwwwn~

But the looks of Shadow Form can :D

#23 raela

raela

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:11 AM

Except when the tank tabs onto you and thinks you're a monster and tries to attack. ;_; I want to be prettyyyyyyyy

#24 Nitro

Nitro

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:36 AM

If you are not Shadow Form, don't even expect your own guild to invite you. Your DPS will be horrid and you will suck. With that said, CMs have noted that the dev team is indeed updating Shadow Form for our class so patience, young grasshoppa! :)

Edited by Nitro, 06 June 2013 - 07:37 AM.

#25 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 04:06 PM

If you are not Shadow Form, don't even expect your own guild to invite you.

My guildleader's a Wizard. Your argument is invalid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users