Update: Channels reduced to 12 - Page 2 - Ragnarok 2 Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Update: Channels reduced to 12

• Please log in to reply
166 replies to this topic

#26 Vestie

Vestie

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Try going to your Ragnarok Online 2 folder and doing the following:
1.) Open MD5FileList.txt in Notepad.
2.) Delete the contents of MD5FileList.txt
3.) Save the now-empty MD5FileList.txt
4.) Right click MD5FileList.txt and go to Properties.
5.) Check off Attributes: Read-only, then press Apply and OK.
6.) Delete MD5FileList.txt_tmp or the MD5 bin file (forgot the actual name -- it's similar to MD5FileList, but is a .bin file type).
7.) Run RO2Client.exe

Here's hoping it works for you. It helped me. x_x

#27 AmiiMii

AmiiMii

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1537 posts
  • LocationWarpportal Forums (RO2)
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:05 AM

Making it harder for us... interesting... I like it!

People are getting greedy. Do something about the economy though, there is an influx of too much zeny. Do something about it now, before the economy of RO1 happens again!

i doubt it, farming zeny was hard for me. and i didn't want to end up breeding characters just to gain it, it's plain ridicolous.

Also you should really see a point with more channels because people farming is going to be tedious for other people
this was a HUGE bad idea, and forces many player losses because of it.

PROS:
More players around each other, social improvement.
More players doing stuff together?
CONS:
Farming will be tedious, other players can't farm bosses as easy now.

Too Much Frame-rate lagg. the last thing people need is taking up frame rates because of joined channels of over 38,000 players joined together in one place, and that's being honest.

Edited by AmiiMii, 05 June 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#28 GoodLuckTrying

GoodLuckTrying

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

Try going to your Ragnarok Online 2 folder and doing the following:
1.) Open MD5FileList.txt in Notepad.
2.) Delete the contents of MD5FileList.txt
3.) Save the now-empty MD5FileList.txt
4.) Right click MD5FileList.txt and go to Properties.
5.) Check off Attributes: Read-only, then press Apply and OK.
6.) Delete MD5FileList.txt_tmp or the MD5 bin file (forgot the actual name -- it's similar to MD5FileList, but is a .bin file type).
7.) Run RO2Client.exe

Here's hoping it works for you. It helped me. x_x

Worked for me, just that I had to do the opposite of 5.), which was making MD5FileList.txt a Read Only.

#29 Vestie

Vestie

I am New.

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:06 AM

this fix didn't work for me

#30 BlossomDance

BlossomDance

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

Please provide your reasoning behind this decision. I would like to see the pros & cons.
So far, as many have stated, it seems like a downgrade more than anything.

When you play Freemium games for as long as I have you learn how to read between the lines and don't even need to ask the reasoning.
More often than not any so-called improvements in server hardware resulted or supposedly applied after reduction of channels, server merging or moving servers "to a new and faster host in the clouds" translate to the same thing. Cutting down their losses from maintaining all the servers. Anything else is just talk to make the players believe they're doing it for them.
Don't blame the GMs or CM though. They're paid to do damage control.

#31 tabernacle

tabernacle

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:10 AM

I agree that having more crowded server would increase the chance of social interaction.

But, more chance doesn't mean more socialization. You need the right people in the mix to get social interaction going on.

So this change would work as intended providing that the game is able to attract the right people to socialize. And I think that's a question mark at this point.

#32 Cybermario

Cybermario

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:15 AM

Take Final Fantasy XI for example, is an old MMO and in the past years they had to merge servers due to low population, but LOOK.. we speak of a 10-13 year old game not an MMO that opened a month ago. You are decreasing channels to show a more crowded population? certainly you are giving the wrong message here, this is the wrong way to attract new players to your game.

Edited by Cybermario, 05 June 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#33 Vanillarox

Vanillarox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • LocationSomewhere on a train.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:17 AM

I think this is fine. Sure it will be more crowded but.. it's an MMO. We're supposed to play together at the end of the day. I think it'd be easier to find people to party with. I have no issue with this.

#34 mysticalre

mysticalre

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:19 AM

Hey, do you guys want every channel to be like channel 1?

I COMPLETELY avoided channel 1 because it had ridiculous latencies, pings over 1 second, whereas channel 13 or something was completely fine.

Great move, some people are just dumb... or maybe I think it's that they don't play their own game to realize what kind of unbearable lag Ch. 1 had.

#35 Segmented

Segmented

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:20 AM

I think this is fine. Sure it will be more crowded but.. it's an MMO. We're supposed to play together at the end of the day. I think it'd be easier to find people to party with. I have no issue with this.

Who the hell looked for parties on their default channel? Everyone just went to Channel 1 to find a party. Or use the Group Finder tool (N) and the LFG Chat.

I like more socialization in games, but this is going to lead to more player-to-player hatred when card hunters clash more often, and especially when they card hunt quest/miniboss mobs.

#36 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

This isn't gonna make people form parties, it's just going to force people to play AGAINST other people for farming spots.

Besides, I shouldn't be forced to party with other people because of population over-density alone.

#37 Billeh

Billeh

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

Well, there were already multiple parties farming field bosses and or scratch thieves, Poisonas etc on all 20 channels. I cant imagine how tough it's gonna be to slip in and get kills now, lol. Come on guys, you have to be playing the game. Surely you've tried hunting yourself some Scratch Thieves only to find none free for killing....right?

#38 Vanillarox

Vanillarox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:37 AM

Who the hell looked for parties on their default channel? Everyone just went to Channel 1 to find a party. Or use the Group Finder tool (N) and the LFG Chat.

I like more socialization in games, but this is going to lead to more player-to-player hatred when card hunters clash more often, and especially when they card hunt quest/miniboss mobs.

When I am leveling my FS Priest, it's nice to see an Assassin walking by. I can ask him/her to join me and do quests together. This is an MMO. There should be more people wandering around. If you want a nice quiet place to kill monsters, play a single player game. Not trying be a jerk here, but really? This isn't that bad.

#39 Ioleth

Ioleth

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:38 AM

They won't all be like channel one, still. Almost every other channel (save for one and two) was in the green before. I doubt you're going to have much of a problem with lag in any of the still lower populated channels. If all else fails, turn your settings down some. My computer is absolute garbage. My internet connection is shoddy at best. I have the processing of a moderately ok netbook (that is being generous), and channel 1 is fine for me with low settings. Tinker some.

#40 Vanillarox

Vanillarox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:41 AM

This isn't gonna make people form parties, it's just going to force people to play AGAINST other people for farming spots.

Besides, I shouldn't be forced to party with other people because of population over-density alone.

With that logic, why not raise the channel count, or heck, make the overworld map an instance? I get that it will be harder to farm, but as the population increases, that will happen regardless.I rarely see people playing when I play. I may see the occasional person, but it definitely feels lonely. I think for our current population, 12 is fine.

#41 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

With that logic, why not raise the channel count, or heck, make the overworld map an instance? I get that it will be harder to farm, but as the population increases, that will happen regardless.I rarely see people playing when I play. I may see the occasional person, but it definitely feels lonely. I think for our current population, 12 is fine.

because the population wasn't going to increase to the point of population over-density. this game pretty much had its peak players during the afk event. thats as many people you'd see online at the same time ever in this games life.

now take that same amount of people, but remove 8 channels. this is what you're dealing with right now. this is why this is an issue.

#42 721529028

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationGreece , Athens.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

When I am leveling my FS Priest, it's nice to see an Assassin walking by. I can ask him/her to join me and do quests together. This is an MMO. There should be more people wandering around. If you want a nice quiet place to kill monsters, play a single player game. Not trying be a jerk here, but really? This isn't that bad.

Yeah that's nice but ... think about the bots that occupy farming spots already now it's gonna be easier to find them and ban them but they can always come back and ofc make you rage cuz they will farm the same spot 24/7.

#43 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:47 AM

you're downplaying the issue. the way it was already, with 20 channels. i could easily see people going around questing in same areas on every channel, even the 2-4 bar ones. they didn't need to remove 8 channels for that to happen. all youre going to see now is a LOT more griefing and ks'ing and hate because this isn't a social game. MMO's of today are not played to be social. thats a simple fact. a game like GW2 is a step in the right direction in terms of social and gameplay. You're not competing for mobs to kill in GW2. If person A is fighting a mob, and person B also needs mob for a quest, person B can start fighting mob but won't suck up person A's exp and both still get loot and quest completion.

That is not the case in games like RO2. It breeds competition which is a good thing but it also breeds ill feelings when things like this(channels being reduced) happens cause you realize you're forced to now deal with even more people in your hunting grounds which is a definite bad thing.

#44 tabernacle

tabernacle

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

My prediction of this change is that:
  • Short term. Field boss farmers would clash with each other. Some people being creative, could end up using 3rd party tools to claim bosses before they even appear on other people's screen. e.g. packet sniffer.
  • Medium term. GM banned a few people using 3rd party programs to setup example. There would be a few false cases, resulting in people leaving and badmouthing the game;
  • Longer term. People realize to win in this game, you either pay Cash, hack or live close to the server (i.e. west coast) because latency dictates their income. They start looking for another F2P MMO and leave with their whole guild.
Well, WP and the gamer base just went through some clashes in the past 10 hours or so. CM do you feel this is the right time to roll out this kind of changes, even though they maybe planned way before the event last night?

#45 Ultimate

Ultimate

Ultimate Event Inventor

• Members
  • 2915 posts
  • LocationValhalla Dwarf NPC

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

For those of you who need to speculate day here's the translation: there's no point runnin 20 channels when 18 of them are of questing and 2 are for partying. Lets even out the wasted resources.

#46 Vanillarox

Vanillarox

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:51 AM

because the population wasn't going to increase to the point of population over-density. this game pretty much had its peak players during the afk event. thats as many people you'd see online at the same time ever in this games life.

now take that same amount of people, but remove 8 channels. this is what you're dealing with right now. this is why this is an issue.

You're speaking as if you fully understand how far this game will go. You don't know. You have no idea how big this game could get. I'd say we at least give this 12 channel thing a day or two and see how it works before demanding a change.

Yeah that's nice but ... think about the bots that occupy farming spots already now it's gonna be easier to find them and ban them but they can always come back and ofc make you rage cuz they will farm the same spot 24/7.

Bots are not a reason to keep the channels high. That's a separate problem all together.

#47 englishtealite

englishtealite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

There could be a hidden reason I thought of;

With the latest incident of the tux (which comes from the kafra cash shop essentially), people will start to be cautious with their money knowing that a change will happen again resulting less people using the cash shop to a point where not enough $$$ to support multiple servers? hmm.

Let's be honest, there wasn't anything wrong with the stability of 20 channels, if anything this encouraged people to switch channels because of lag that occured

#48 SpiritKinay

SpiritKinay

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

Bring back the 20 channels.
It was already a pain to farm GL/Wanderer with people griefing others (taunting to reset and then steal it), now its only going to get worst.

#49 sephiroso

sephiroso

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 946 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:04 AM

You're speaking as if you fully understand how far this game will go. You don't know. You have no idea how big this game could get. I'd say we at least give this 12 channel thing a day or two and see how it works before demanding a change.

Bots are not a reason to keep the channels high. That's a separate problem all together.

i know exactly how (not) far this game will go. the current situation we have on our hands is mere proof. the fact that we're following failed seaRO2s footsteps and not the semi-successful kro2's is further proof.

they keep dropping the ball one right after another on decisions that should never have been made. its not rocket science it really isn't, yet they are incapable of making the right decisions.

this game wasn't even a good game before all this -_- happened. it was never going to be pulling amazing numbers, and we all know and get that. but they're certainly not going to be gaining more now with all of this stink in the air.

#50 Nereida

Nereida

Too Legit To Quit

• Members - No Sig
  • 1107 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

If you wanted an assassin always at your disposal, you could easily go to channels 1-5 and find them freely.
For those of us that didn't need them and that dreaded competing over field bosses or even mini-bosses, low population channels were a godsend. And when a certain monster or hunting spot overpowers your otherwise solo character, switch to a higher populated channel and be done with it.
There were two different options. With a 40% decrease on the number of servers, either you party and lag, grief or lag or leave and not lag.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users