• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Trickster

Trickster

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:33 AM

So im having trouble deciding my class for phase 2 and I hope you guys can help. Originally I wanted to be a Paladin, but then i realized I wanted more PvE and burst dmg so I switched to Myrmidon, now Im starting to explore mages and archers just to be certain im picking the right class. Just now I noticed the amazing damage and stability of a Sorcerer. For some reason, there are like 12 topics about the invoker and none about sorcerers. Im confused as to whether sorceres just suck and im missing something or Invoker is clearly the better choice for some reason. If you could, give me some idea of which has the bigger advantage in PvE and with bosses.

~ gimme a choice (invoker or sorcerer) and tell me why.

~ gimme a strong pve build for your choice.

TYVM I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP.

#2 Yurai

Yurai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2917 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:47 AM

Both because PvE is that much of a joke.

#3 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 22 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

For some reason, there are like 12 topics about the invoker and none about sorcerers. Im confused as to whether sorceres just suck and im missing something or Invoker is clearly the better choice for some reason. If you could, give me some idea of which has the bigger advantage in PvE and with bosses.

That's b/c sorcerers (formerly known as warmages) get a nerf in the PSB patch that removes their ability to spell cancel several of their skills, making them somewhat less effective than they were before. Really, the only awesome new thing they get is the ability to get critical hits w/ all of their spells.

Meanwhile, invokers (aka priests/shamans) are getting a bunch of new skills and buffs to old skills, not to mention the ability to move freely while using Diffusion Cannon or Double Shot (previously, you could not move while firing). So they are generally more effective and more attractive than ever.

As for PvE, as Yurai said, PvE in this game isn't hard so you'll be fine either way. If you're really looking for a straight answer though: Sorcerers are generally better/faster when it comes to killing large mobs, while invokers are better at dealing massive damage quickly to a single target (thanks to X-spam) -- although in the PSB patch, some of the new invoker skills make them pretty good at killing mobs, too.

So overall, I'd say the balance leans in favor of invokers, for now. Who knows what the future will hold, though.

#4 Hawly

Hawly

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationSaint Mary - RS, Brazil

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

That's b/c sorcerers (formerly known as warmages) get a nerf in the PSB patch that removes their ability to spell cancel several of their skills, making them somewhat less effective than they were before. Really, the only awesome new thing they get is the ability to get critical hits w/ all of their spells.

Meanwhile, invokers (aka priests/shamans) are getting a bunch of new skills and buffs to old skills, not to mention the ability to move freely while using Diffusion Cannon or Double Shot (previously, you could not move while firing). So they are generally more effective and more attractive than ever.

As for PvE, as Yurai said, PvE in this game isn't hard so you'll be fine either way. If you're really looking for a straight answer though: Sorcerers are generally better/faster when it comes to killing large mobs, while invokers are better at dealing massive damage quickly to a single target (thanks to X-spam) -- although in the PSB patch, some of the new invoker skills make them pretty good at killing mobs, too.

So overall, I'd say the balance leans in favor of invokers, for now. Who knows what the future will hold, though.

You said everything that I was going to say.

#5 Trickster

Trickster

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

awesome. did invokers get a crit for their spells? and by spell cancel, do u mean like casting the spell and almost instantly running away, or is it a skill? cuz i still dont see the issue with sorcerers entirely. I do understand what your saying about the invokers tho. are sorcerers going to be fixed relatively soon (maybe invoker nerfed?)? if not maybe ill stick with myrm cuz i dont really like the invoker clothes.

Edited by Trickster, 22 October 2010 - 11:10 AM.

#6 Kazra

Kazra

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 958 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:10 AM

You said everything that I was going to say.

Then don't say anything, duh. Did you want this post count so badly?!

I'm going to have to say that... Invokers work better in general, but Sorcerers can take down higher mdef monsters without refining their weapon. Invokers have to have a decently refined weapon for endgame monsters.

#7 Rimmy

Rimmy

Too Legit To Quit

• Dragon Saga Moderator
  • 2354 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

awesome. did invokers get a crit for their spells? and by spell cancel, do u mean like casting the spell and almost instantly running away, or is it a skill? cuz i still dont see the issue with sorcerers entirely. I do understand what your saying about the invokers tho. are sorcerers going to be fixed relatively soon (maybe invoker nerfed?)? if not maybe ill stick with myrm cuz i dont really like the invoker clothes.

I'm pretty sure invoker spells can crit, yeah. (Not positive, but why wouldn't they crit if sorcerer spells crit, I guess.)

And yeah, spell canceling is what you have described. For certain skills like Fire Symbol, you now have to sit and wait for the casting animation to run its course before you can move, which leaves you open for a couple seconds. It can be tough to adapt to in PvP, but I'm messing around w/ a BM in Gpot and I really don't find it to be all THAT horrible.

No idea if sorcerers are going to be "fixed," if they even need fixing. I have heard about some invoker nerfs that are supposed to come along in future patches, but none of them seem too devastating so far.

#8 Trickster

Trickster

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

I'm pretty sure invoker spells can crit, yeah. (Not positive, but why wouldn't they crit if sorcerer spells crit, I guess.)

And yeah, spell canceling is what you have described. For certain skills like Fire Symbol, you now have to sit and wait for the casting animation to run its course before you can move, which leaves you open for a couple seconds. It can be tough to adapt to in PvP, but I'm messing around w/ a BM in Gpot and I really don't find it to be all THAT horrible.

No idea if sorcerers are going to be "fixed," if they even need fixing. I have heard about some invoker nerfs that are supposed to come along in future patches, but none of them seem too devastating so far.

nice ty for the help. but im still stuck on which class i should pick. should i go myrmidon, sorcerer, or invoker? all 3 sound appealing atm. the only turnoffs are the appearance of the invoker, the nerf on the sorcerer, and the CD on the myrms skills.

#9 Hawly

Hawly

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationSaint Mary - RS, Brazil

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Then don't say anything, duh. Did you want this post count so badly?!

I was just agreeing with what he said.

nice ty for the help. but im still stuck on which class i should pick. should i go myrmidon, sorcerer, or invoker? all 3 sound appealing atm. the only turnoffs are the appearance of the invoker, the nerf on the sorcerer, and the CD on the myrms skills.

If your problem with Invokers are appearence, go for it. You can always buy cash shop clothes to be good looking :3

Edited by Hawly, 22 October 2010 - 03:57 PM.

#10 Trickster

Trickster

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

I was just agreeing with what he said.

If your problem with Invokers are appearence, go for it. You can always buy cash shop clothes to be good looking :3

only problem with that is warp portal doesnt offer super rewards (surveys for free WP) like other games and versions of this game do. if i could do some surveys for WP then ide be invoker in a heartbeat, but otherwise im stuck looking like a tranny.

#11 Yurai

Yurai

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2917 posts
  • Playing:Pogo's Lounge

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

only problem with that is warp portal doesnt offer super rewards (surveys for free WP) like other games and versions of this game do. if i could do some surveys for WP then ide be invoker in a heartbeat, but otherwise im stuck looking like a tranny.

They do offer SuperRewards. Check the bottom left of the front page.

#12 Trickster

Trickster

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

They do offer SuperRewards. Check the bottom left of the front page.

WOOO. ure right! thank you very much! but um, i dont think dragon saga can be added to my game account list so it wont show up on the survey list. will surveys be available when the actual game is up and running?

Edited by Trickster, 22 October 2010 - 09:27 PM.

#13 WhosDiene

WhosDiene

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 06:39 PM

WOOO. ure right! thank you very much! but um, i dont think dragon saga can be added to my game account list so it wont show up on the survey list. will surveys be available when the actual game is up and running?

Most likely yes.

#14 hade

hade

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

well to put it this way I threw up in my mouth when i found out the warmage i worked so hard on got renamed to some generic-_- title for someone who uses magic as well as being nerfed to the ground all in one. So the choice is pretty obvious.

Warmages used to have a high skill ceiling in PvP and PvE that was worthwhile, now no matter how hard you try you cant beat X spam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users