General tips for off-tank warrior in colo - Swordman - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

General tips for off-tank warrior in colo

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ZellKFF

ZellKFF

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Channel 5

Posted 08 June 2013 - 05:27 AM

Hi guys, I'm seeking some gameplay advice on how to consistently go into the later rounds in colo...

I'm an off-tank war, with defender 5, berzerk 5, brandish 3 and RS 5. Battle leap and pommel strike are at 1. I don't have any colo gears yet (saving up for weapon), but I have 5 scratch thieves and VIP and founder title.

I usually get into round 3, sometimes into round 4, never into the last round. I sometimes also finish last of round 2 and on some occasions I have gone out in round 1 too :p_idea:

Before you say that it is because I'm not good at playing colo, I will go ahead and say it myself. That is the entire point of this thread!

I struggle with tactics, camera work, targetting and general gameplay of colo...I can never decide what to do and usually end up brandishing all over the place out of frustration towards the end of a round, praying for that miraculous kill -_-;

Should I be using defender? I seem to die less, but I've had instanced of rounds with 0 kills and 0 deaths, which is not very useful.

Should I tab switch until I find a player with low HP? They're usually quite far away and die before I reach them :p_swt:
Should I DoT people I target even though it's at level 1? Should I rebuff & berzerk when I die? How should round 4 be approached, when you have much less clusters of people to barge into? Do successful players use the strafe buttons?

I'm not a completely unskilled player as a whole, I lead my guild to many WoE successes in RO1 but the mechanics are completely different and I must admit that I still haven't found a way to do well in colo :p_laugh:
Thank you very much for your input! :p_love: Even LuBu's PUMP IT UP HARD WITH STEROIDS advice would be welcome at this stage

#2 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 08 June 2013 - 12:57 PM

I believe everyone has their own ways of doing things, but if you want input from my opinions:

I make it consistently to round 4~5 and I've only won colo twice up till now. It's hard... you practically lose if you let Rangers/Sorcs get to Round 5.

1. Build rage ASAP if you have no rage.
Spoiler

2. Tab till you find the weakest player.
Spoiler

3. Battle Leap, it's good if you can get the last hit in.
Spoiler

4. Don't spam Brandish Storm.
Spoiler

5. Unlike all of the other Warrior's skills... Bowling Bash is instant damage.
Spoiler

6. Don't use Defender until you reach Round 4 or 5.
Spoiler

7. Use Endure when you're rooted.
Spoiler

That's about all the advice I can give. More than anything, it's luck and depends on your match up. You'll stand a better chance if you help your fellow melee classes advance. More often than not.. I'm usually the last warrior who makes it to round 4 or 5.

Edited by Varunax, 08 June 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#3 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:32 PM

Really, all I can say is take advantage of the current "minor truce" some melees tend to share in coliseum. I could go [wall of text mode] and bring in a bunch of advice/etc to the topic, but I would find it better to find your own style and master it. I left some hints regarding coliseum on my profile page here for those curious enough though.

Edited by Shouichirou, 08 June 2013 - 01:32 PM.

#4 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 08 June 2013 - 02:15 PM

Really, all I can say is take advantage of the current "minor truce" some melees tend to share in coliseum. I could go [wall of text mode] and bring in a bunch of advice/etc to the topic, but I would find it better to find your own style and master it. I left some hints regarding coliseum on my profile page here for those curious enough though.

Aw.. it's always good to get advice from top players. For some reason a lot of the good players keep secrets locked away or refrain from discussions.

#5 ZellKFF

ZellKFF

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:06 AM

Thank you very much you two! I really appreciate the time you put into writing your post, Varunax :thx: And those pointers were definitely interesting to read Shouichirou :)

I've been trying to integrate those tips into my gameplay and some little things really do help, like the use of bowling bash, and knowing when to time certain attacks based on their actual hit timing vs animation. This + removing defender already got me some serious improvements, haven't lost before round 3 in a few days and made it to round 4 and even once almost to the final round :p_idea:
Any further tips are of course welcome :p_love:

#6 Mekzilla

Mekzilla

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:47 AM

Since when does 'TAB' work in colo? o.0

#7 Kalandros

Kalandros

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationQuébec
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

Since when does 'TAB' work in colo? o.0

Menu -> Game Settings -> Control -> Non-PT

will activate tab in colo (and you will tab on deluge siren, aqua thing, falcon thing, traps, mobs and yes, players)

#8 rzevidz007

rzevidz007

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:07 AM

Deluge, aqua jin, falcon, traps cannot be targeted. They're pretty much invicible and cannot be tabbed and attacked.
Mobs can still be targetted, players, unfortunately, you will have to tick the Monster tab too if you want to target players. So Non-PT and Monster should be checked.

#9 4860130515113635440

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:35 PM

Since I haven't seen it posted, Brandish Storm can be used on the move to attack people "just" out of your attack range who just keep running. Its useful for keeping the pressure on squishy classes who decided to bug out.

#10 AhinaReyoh

AhinaReyoh

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1088 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 06:45 PM

Deluge, aqua jin, falcon, traps cannot be targeted. They're pretty much invicible and cannot be tabbed and attacked.
Mobs can still be targetted, players, unfortunately, you will have to tick the Monster tab too if you want to target players. So Non-PT and Monster should be checked.

Tab targeting does lock onto the elemental, traps, and falcon, which is really annoying on top of it locking onto the monsters. It's not uncommon to waste a lot of time tabbing through all the junk trying to find one player, sometimes you're just better off trying to click on people if there's too much around, as hard as it is.

#11 soapPENGUIN

soapPENGUIN

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:27 AM

Learn something new everyday :D I never paid much attention about the instant dmg from Bowling Bash. Some random things that helped me out in Colo even though it might not be helpful information for some of you guys/gals. (Feel free to ignore this)

Some Wiz/sorcs don't follow your location when they cast a spell. Run behind them when you see them casting on you(assuming you're at melee range) and their spell won't go off unless they turn around while casting. Them missing a cast means less damage on you :D Big problem would be the insta cast snares.

Chasing people down can be annoying but I tend to hold down left click+right click for a auto-like-run which you can control while smacking away. When I'm lazy I just use a skill to run up to a person I can't find in a crowd than lock-on. In a way, be as mobile as possible. I don't think there are many skills a warrior uses that locks them in place aside from Battle Leap. Bash while you run, run while you bash .

Uhhh once you start your RS animation on a target you don't have to be in front of them in order for it to hit. Once it registers on your target it'll hit regardless of your positioning unless it misses which in that case time to be sad sad.

~ key (left of 1) targets the target of the person you're targeting... O.o so to say you target a sorc whose trying to kill Knight. Instead of tabbing around looking for him ~ switches your target to the knight.

Battle leap can be very useful but the cd is killer so use it wisely. Such like a ranger traps and acrobatics afterwards, predict where they go and than Battle Leap. (Oh yeah try to use monsters/other people on their traps :D)

If not mentioned several times in other posts/threads. Can't get a player kill? Monsters Monsters Monsters. There were times I got into R5 from monsters alone but not often of course but 1 kill and a ton of monster kills is quite helpful. If it's been 2 minutes and you haven't obtained a single kill yet I personally would aim for a champion monster but you have to worry about ks so I'd plan a rage-strike for the finishing blow. Also I'm not sure when but be wary of when the boss spawns around the center. For Round 4 take advantage of who the boss is targeting as he/she will be running for his/her own life. If you see them being target from the boss, take advantage and stun/chain stun them :D. Of course same can be applied to yourself so be careful.

I wish you luck in round 5 as it's normally a game of chase for me which I get kited to no ends. If you still have wind elixirs, it's not too bad but if you're out of them dark days ahead of you. A bad scenario imo is getting 1st around the 1:30 mark or 1:00 if anything cause you'll be the main target of everyone and they'll kill you in the 30second mark leaving you like 20 or 15 seconds to do something fast for 1st. (Under the assumption that you're not one of those who uses explorer buffs and spinel potions)

Edited by soapPENGUIN, 13 June 2013 - 01:02 AM.

#12 rzevidz007

rzevidz007

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:51 AM

Tab targeting does lock onto the elemental, traps, and falcon, which is really annoying on top of it locking onto the monsters. It's not uncommon to waste a lot of time tabbing through all the junk trying to find one player, sometimes you're just better off trying to click on people if there's too much around, as hard as it is.

... Seriously? I've been doing colo for ages now but never even once I target tabbed traps, falcon, etc.
Or am I missing something here? o.0

#13 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 03:30 AM

... Seriously? I've been doing colo for ages now but never even once I target tabbed traps, falcon, etc.
Or am I missing something here? o.0

I can affirm that this does happen.

#14 ZellKFF

ZellKFF

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

A bad scenario imo is getting 1st around the 1:30 mark or 1:00 if anything cause you'll be the main target of everyone and they'll kill you in the 30second mark leaving you like 20 or 15 seconds to do something fast for 1st.

Thanks for your generally informative post, and this made me lol as it is exactly what happened to me yesterday xD

Got in the final round for the first time, and I got first with 1:20 remaining (RS double kill :3), then everyone chased me down and despite my wind elixir someone slowed me down and I ended up dying with 25 seconds remaining ;_;

Any advice on what to do when you get 1st with that much time remaining? Running around or instead try to kill more people? Is there a possibility to remain #1 upon death if you accumulated enough points?

Edited by ZellKFF, 13 June 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#15 soapPENGUIN

soapPENGUIN

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:50 PM

It might be better to accept the death and try to get a kill or two after. If people were after me in that case I would 1)search around someone low enough to try and snag a kill b4 death 2)kill as many porings as possible. Nearing the last couple of seconds if you see no one nearby I would try to kill the porings get a ninja win. Otherwise jump into the fray of people fighting for a kill. Pretty sure there are better ways to approach Round 5 than this.

#16 Wtfast

Wtfast

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAlberta channel 5
  • Server:Odin

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

If you are having trouble advancing to round 4 and round 5, my suggestions are once you see mobs spawn in your Colosseum you should get on it and kill as many as you possibly could because the secret behind preventing Knight and Warrior advancing is leave no mobs for us melee to kill. Secondly, don't attack your melee classes, believe it or not that actually increases your chances advancing to the next round (sometimes you will find one of those jerks that like to mess with other melees though). I even let Assassins and rouges slide if they don't want to start trouble with me because my priority is eliminate as many range classes as possible. Third, make sure you build up your rage and save your biggest hit for your target when they are under 1.5k hp. Also save your leap for whenever you see someone is at low hp and he/she is running away from someone else, you want to leap on that whoever is chasing and then go back killing that guy or girl that is about to die. Last, be aware of your rank and be aware of at what rank require for you to advance next round. If you know you are advancing for sure and the timer has about 30 second left, just go to one of those rooms and wait. Why? Cuz you want to minimize risk of dying and prevent burning any unnecessary pots.

And DON'T use your aoe like a blind man. That skill not only it will not give you any kill, it actually help the range classes getting their kill count up because you are doing them a favor by lower down the hp of everyone that are around you and you have absolutely no control when to deliver the last hit but they can easily time it. One more thing, if you know you are absolutely going to die, don't run while potting and try to prolong your inevitable death, you are wasting your time because you much rather spawn sooner and have more time finding your next target who is about to get kill or your next mob. If you can help it, don't be the first one that initiates the first attack because people tend to be more forgiving to the person that deliver the last hit compare to the person that start the attack and bring their hp down below 50% and they will come back specifically to hunt you down.

Edited by Wtfast, 17 June 2013 - 03:35 AM.

#17 ZellKFF

ZellKFF

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:32 AM

I now consistently (= almost always) get to round 4 and sometimes in the final thanks to all your advice guys! And a little practice/skill jump

Wtfast thank you, I actually learned most of the things you mentioned over the last few weeks and it really does help having a proper battle plan. Good to have a confirmation from you though!

soapPENGUIN, you confuse me now, do battle porings give you points? I thought they only gave you buffs/debuffs :/

#18 Mistori

Mistori

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:02 AM

Porings give 5 points in additional to the buff/debuffs.
Flips/Rodas are like 25, and players are 100.

Ranked players i think give a whole lot more, but I'm not sure exactly how much more

#19 soapPENGUIN

soapPENGUIN

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:21 PM

They give points and in my opinion they matter a lot in Round 5. There was a time I was rank 2 and killing a poring at the last second snagged me rank 1 and champ. Probably because there are times whoever hits rank 1 will run for his life last 10-20 seconds as people are chasing him/her down making it extremely hard especially if they wind pot/guardian. Of course though it's happened to me aswell where I thought i secured first and bang down to second at the 5 second mark. Other players may have died but I still think porings in Round 5 are beneficial. Other rounds might be a double-edge sword cause if you get snared dark times await you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users