Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

So, in my opinion, vitality is only good if you don't have enough, and once you do get enough, there's not really much point in having more. Getting mitigation should be much better.

So, which gives the best returns in terms of damage mitigation?

41 str
41 agi

51 str
27 agi

27 str
51 agi

or something else?

thanks

Edited by Sera, 13 June 2013 - 07:46 PM.

#2 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:09 PM

str = parry = mitigation
agi = dodge = avoidance

Str comes on our gear by the truckload. But dodge takes alot to bring up with agi. On the other hand you do get crit chance with agi as well. More threat and damage can be good.

You can get cards that focus on str+agi, more so once the CoA sets are in. All the tank acc has mostly str plus a few agi. So your choices come down to runes and bonus stats. There's not enough there to make a differance IMO. Knights have no way to boost either defensive stat unlike the monk or warrior. So those 35 rune stats + level bonus (24 on an agi build for example) isn't going to slide either one to being "better."

At the end of the day I don't think it matters much. Gear covers the stats far more than bonus+runes. It's a crappy reply but it really comes down to personal choice.

Edited by SonicTMP, 13 June 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#3 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:33 PM

I don't really care about gear blah blah blah. I can't control the stats the gear gives. I can control the innate stats of the character though, and having that power, I should make them the best they can reasonably be, even if the difference is negligible.

Based on what I was calculated for essentially a naked character, it seems agility is better for tanking than strength in the long run?

https://docs.google....UFE&usp=sharing

Edited by Sera, 14 June 2013 - 06:35 PM.

#4 Nugeki

Nugeki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:20 PM

I don't really care about gear blah blah blah. I can't control the stats the gear gives. I can control the innate stats of the character though, and having that power, I should make them the best they can reasonably be, even if the difference is negligible.

Based on what I was calculated for essentially a naked character, it seems agility is better for tanking than strength in the long run?

https://docs.google....UFE&usp=sharing

40 str
40 agi
8 vit

Runes > +5 Health Runes
Cards> Scratch Thief Cards

Consistent Dmg mitigation

Aura Shield is a Minute cooldown

Utility:

Shield Fortress I do believe is 200 seconds

Stats are cool in this game, but it ultimatley comes down to gear.

Knights gear is high in STR, and Vit, with a slight bit of agi. Agi Looks good on paper, but for future raids some bosses will insta kill you unles you have minimum 10Hp if your tanking.

#5 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:29 PM

Yes, gear is more important, I understand that, but if you're constantly cutting corners on -_-, your char will end up weaker. I didn't ask "what is an okay/usable build for a knight?" I asked "What is the best stat distribution for a knight?"

Best. Like, better than anything else.

Those bosses are not in-game yet though

so why even bother socketing HP runes, knight simply does not need the HP, it's just as much of a waste of stat points as going 40 str/40vit

Edited by Sera, 15 June 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#6 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

Hm... IMO:

I wouldn't say it's entirely useless. Getting +40 VIT and filling your armor/costume slots with VIT runes will surely grant you over +500 HP. At level 50, it's about equivalent to having +10~15% more HP. Good for a tank. Cutting out the VIT just means you'll have less HP than most Knights geared the same as you.

Up to your preference though. I don't think there's a best build as Sonic has said. If you're looking for damage, better to go with that INT build. If you just want a hybrid build go for STR/AGI for the parry/crit.

Relying solely on AGI to tank isn't a good idea. You only dodge like maybe 1-2 attacks once in a great while from a boss. 90% of the time, you'll be taking damage. I'm fitted with pure AGI runes with +40 AGI bonus stat and my dodge is about 10~15%. I got AGI for the crit.

Edited by Varunax, 15 June 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 03:42 PM

Is there a counter stat for parry that the bosses can buff? (as in hit for dodge?)

500 HP is like half a hit assuming you're at full HP to begin with. Being able to parry/dodge at least one more attack per full HP bar you have would be just as useful with the benefit of increasing threat gain due to DPS.

Edited by Sera, 15 June 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#8 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I've stat reset a bunch of times already, and it seems player stats make minimal impact on your performance. It's just really a matter of how much of a perfectionist you really are.

#9 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:36 AM

My 34 VIT saved me by a thread a few times... gotta say I used to go for 40/40/8 STR/AGI/VIT and didn't think VIT would amount to much. No complaints now.

#10 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Is there a counter stat for parry that the bosses can buff? (as in hit for dodge?)

500 HP is like half a hit assuming you're at full HP to begin with. Being able to parry/dodge at least one more attack per full HP bar you have would be just as useful with the benefit of increasing threat gain due to DPS.

Dodge/Hit, Parry/Crit.

Since bosses can crit, sometimes you might take 2000... sometimes you might take 4k. That extra HP might save you in the long run. Or it might not.

Haha.

Edited by Varunax, 16 June 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#11 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

I'll say it again. It's personal choice. No single stat setup is superior to another. Someone will get lucky dodges, another will have that extra HP to live by 5, others will parry out their ass and never see a dodge, LuBu loves EXTREME CRITICAL DAMAGE FOR EXTRA THREAT WAAAAAGH!

There's no math floating around to show one superior to another based on redoing bonus/rune stats. Condicering how much gear gives, what you can personally change around is a drop in the bucket. So just pick what you like more.

Edited by SonicTMP, 16 June 2013 - 12:47 AM.

#12 Nugeki

Nugeki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:02 AM

Yes, gear is more important, I understand that, but if you're constantly cutting corners on -_-, your char will end up weaker. I didn't ask "what is an okay/usable build for a knight?" I asked "What is the best stat distribution for a knight?"

Best. Like, better than anything else.

Those bosses are not in-game yet though

so why even bother socketing HP runes, knight simply does not need the HP, it's just as much of a waste of stat points as going 40 str/40vit

*face palm*

Future raid:

Boss Does Mega Attack FOR "X" amount of Damage. If tank does not have enough skill mitigation, or HP to survive then "X" Attack kills Tank.

Not to mention, you can't dodge or parry magic attacks. :|

No matter how much dodge and parry you get, a Magic attack, dot , or adverse effect on your tank can't be mitigated, by dodge or parrty.

Theirs plenty of information on future raids, boss encounters, minimum HP requirements, and raid boss setups if you look for them. KRO, and SEA RO. And those Tanks are rocking MASSIVE hp pools.

Str/Agi combo is the best you can get, However as str rises in gear the mor eyou probably could drop from str, and invest in Agi, Or VIt. BUT it is common pratice in most mmorpgs, that are based off the wow structure, when DPS gear increases the more threat they do.......so a tank needs more STR to generate more threat to maintain healthy aggro.

Edited by Nugeki, 16 June 2013 - 08:03 AM.

#13 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 AM

You can dodge/parry magic attacks. DoTs though is another story.

#14 Wtfast

Wtfast

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAlberta channel 5
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

*face palm*

Future raid:

Boss Does Mega Attack FOR "X" amount of Damage. If tank does not have enough skill mitigation, or HP to survive then "X" Attack kills Tank.

Not to mention, you can't dodge or parry magic attacks. :|

No matter how much dodge and parry you get, a Magic attack, dot , or adverse effect on your tank can't be mitigated, by dodge or parrty.

Theirs plenty of information on future raids, boss encounters, minimum HP requirements, and raid boss setups if you look for them. KRO, and SEA RO. And those Tanks are rocking MASSIVE hp pools.

Str/Agi combo is the best you can get, However as str rises in gear the mor eyou probably could drop from str, and invest in Agi, Or VIt. BUT it is common pratice in most mmorpgs, that are based off the wow structure, when DPS gear increases the more threat they do.......so a tank needs more STR to generate more threat to maintain healthy aggro.

I am sorry to say but you don't know what you are talking about here. You CAN dodge magic attacks and you CAN parry magic attacks. DoT is the only exception. Purely increasing STR not necessarily will increase your attack by a lot to generate more threat, well, enough to compete with some really high dps players. Take a look at LuBu Int battle tactic build if you are still not convinced. Investing points in Vit stat on a knight is the worst suggestion you can give to other knight players same goes with socketing Vit runes into armors. BTW, I have 8k hp unbuff, with iron cain I have 9k, with bless 10k+ as a knight and not a single point wasted on vit stat. What all of you guys fail to realize is knight gears already come with a -_- load of str and vit, you will have bigger benefit by getting the colosseum's INT hit/vigor/haste accessories and with with right cards that give a good amount of int you can get roughly 250 int and that is 100% additional damage when you crit (.4% x 250 if you have battle tactic, if you dont, you might as well uninstall or play another class) Dont tell me knight has low crit rate because i have 25% crit rate without food, pot, buffs from ranger and sin.

Edited by Wtfast, 16 June 2013 - 11:39 AM.

#15 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:24 AM

Iron Cain gives +1000 hp? Brb, changing Unions

#16 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:49 PM

I am sorry to say but you don't know what you are talking about here. You CAN dodge magic attacks and you CAN parry magic attacks. DoT is the only exception. Purely increasing STR not necessarily will increase your attack by a lot to generate more threat, well, enough to compete with some really high dps players. Take a look at LuBu Int battle tactic build if you are still not convinced. Investing points in Vit stat on a knight is the worst suggestion you can give to other knight players same goes with socketing Vit runes into armors. BTW, I have 8k hp unbuff, with iron cain I have 9k, with bless 10k+ as a knight and not a single point wasted on vit stat. What all of you guys fail to realize is knight gears already come with a -_- load of str and vit, you will have bigger benefit by getting the colosseum's INT hit/vigor/haste accessories and with with right cards that give a good amount of int you can get roughly 250 int and that is 100% additional damage when you crit (.4% x 250 if you have battle tactic, if you dont, you might as well uninstall or play another class) Dont tell me knight has low crit rate because i have 25% crit rate without food, pot, buffs from ranger and sin.

8k unbuffed? What are your equips? I can only reach 7k with buffs.

Edited by Varunax, 16 June 2013 - 04:49 PM.

#17 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the SEA version (due to the fact that he mentions the [Iron Cain] being able to give hp).

Other than that, that is highly possible even in this version. Tier 2 epics (at the moment PvP gear), can bring a knight/warrior around 7.5~8.5k hp "un-buffed" (With [Aura Armor], but without [Blessing]) currently.

#18 Haboob

Haboob

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBattlegrounds

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:24 PM

You can dodge/parry magic attacks. DoTs though is another story.

DOT damage seems to be influenced by parry,defense and crit. If your dot skill crits while avoiding parry you seem to get the highest DOTs, ive critted numerous times and my DOT damage actually lowered. Once you get a general idea the maximum damage your DOTs will do per boss you will know when to stop using head crush.

Edited by 6224130502210709307, 16 June 2013 - 06:38 PM.

#19 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:24 PM

Crits don't effect DoT damage. That's soley based on your enemies def and your atk power.

#20 Haboob

Haboob

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBattlegrounds

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

So explain to me why my DOTs fluxuate so often? Defense is static so it could only be parry then.

#21 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

It's the same reason why Bash fluctuates damage. RNG.

#22 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:05 PM

My Headcrush does more DoT when it crits on first hit.

#23 Varunax

Varunax

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 386 posts
  • LocationNetherworld

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

Head Crush does not do more damage based on critical attacks. It only does crit damage on the initial hit and not the DoT.

As I stated... DoT is based on your total ATK POWER and your enemies' Defense. Not your crit damage.

My Attack Power is 2500. 2500 * 0.07 = 175 bleed per tick.

The RNG makes the bleed damage random. Attack an enemy increasing their defense and your DoT's will be lowered.

Edited by Varunax, 16 June 2013 - 07:44 PM.

#24 Wtfast

Wtfast

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationAlberta channel 5
  • Server:Odin

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:30 PM

I'm pretty sure he is talking about the SEA version (due to the fact that he mentions the [Iron Cain] being able to give hp).

Other than that, that is highly possible even in this version. Tier 2 epics (at the moment PvP gear), can bring a knight/warrior around 7.5~8.5k hp "un-buffed" (With [Aura Armor], but without [Blessing]) currently.

Yes, in this version Iron cain will get 1k hp in the future and I have colo gears.

#25 Nugeki

Nugeki

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:41 AM

I am sorry to say but you don't know what you are talking about here. You CAN dodge magic attacks and you CAN parry magic attacks. DoT is the only exception. A.) Purely increasing STR not necessarily will increase your attack by a lot to generate more threat, well, enough to compete with some really high dps players. Take a look at LuBu Int battle tactic build if you are still not convinced. B) Investing points in Vit stat on a knight is the worst suggestion you can give to other knight players same goes with socketing Vit runes into armors. BTW, I have 8k hp unbuff, with iron cain I have 9k, with bless 10k+ as a knight and not a single point wasted on vit stat. C) What all of you guys fail to realize is knight gears already come with a -_- load of str and vit, you will have bigger benefit by getting the colosseum's INT hit/vigor/haste accessories and with with right cards that give a good amount of int you can get roughly 250 int and that is 100% additional damage when you crit (.4% x 250 if you have battle tactic, if you dont, you might as well uninstall or play another class) Dont tell me knight has low crit rate because i have 25% crit rate without food, pot, buffs from ranger and sin.

A) You will not out threat a knight who is 40str/40agi build, thats geared

B) Investing stat points into VIT no thank you didn't say that, however Runes that give +5 vit, yesir buddy great idea, apparently you don't factor in effective health into your tank knight build.

C) This takes the cake Im suppose to take battle tactics and get int, hit vigor and haste?!?!? Over DODGE, PARRY And AGI, clearly as a Knight Tank knight I don't need any dodge or parry what so ever LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users