xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:39 PM

Thought we should have a separate thread for this kind of discussion.

My personal rogue build: http://www.ro2base.c...310535.22310535

*edited build as of 7/18/2013

Bread and Butter Skills:

1) Hiding
2) Dark Illusion*

^ These 2 basic skills must be respected, and mastered. Mastering when to use both can guarantee a good rogue entry into the final round.

3) Smoke Bomb
4) Dirty Plan

^ Wasting either one of these is a mistake that can usually cost you the round. Patience is key to playing rogue. Sometimes it's better to let yourself die, rather than rush using smoke bomb (only to see it fail because someone shot at you).

It takes experience to know when to do either one;you'll have to go through some trial and error before you're able to consistently have good judgement.

5) Deadly Blow

^ It is important to know when to use it.

Many times I will steal a kill because I used Deadly Blow with 3 combo points. You don't need to have 5 combo points before using deadly blow. A newer rogue might get frustrated at his kills always getting stolen if he falls into this bad habit.

It's all about judgement with rogue-- you have to get a feel for your damage range and how much time the animation takes before it connects.

6) Gangster's Paradise

You should ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS use Gangster's Paradise when it's off CD and you have a Combo Mastery proc or 5 combo points. This skill will make you live through things that would normally kill an elephant. It's also a way to dissuade people from attacking you, because while it's active you will seem un-killable.

Combining the use of Master Red pots + constant GP usage will make a good rogue seem like a beast that simply can't be killed. A lot of classes will avoid you even when you're out of hiding if you get good at using this combo. You want to make people have low self-esteem when it comes to fighting you-- this can be accomplished by giving them just one bad experience when trying to kill you

ON HIDING:

You are a rogue. Think of yourself as a ninja. A good rogue will hardly ever be seen; and when he is seen... the person that saw him is about to die.

*Example situation*

A ranger is fighting with a warrior in the outskirts of the arena. The ranger is obviously winning, and the warrior's health is dropping fast...3k...2k...1500...300... wait what?!

*it's only for a moment, but a rogue appears out of thin air and steals the kill. Then before the angry ranger can react, the rogue has already vanished again in a cloud of smoke.*

This is what your first kill should be like in Rounds 1 - 4. I laugh every time I do it, because I imagine the other person's face as he struggles to Tab-Target me in anger.

It takes skill and patience to pick the right target & wait the right amount of time before using Dark Illusion. You have to evaluate several things in a matter of seconds.

- How skilled is the target that's losing health?
- Who is attacking the target?
- What kind of burst can the attacker do?
- Did the target recently use a potion or self-heal yet?

Sometimes it's better to just let a weak player get burst to death by another class-- this will give you information on how much time you have to use DI the next time someone is weak.

A rogue is also a mad scientist, studying his potential victims from the shadows.

The 2 ways to get to the dreaded Final Round:

There are 2 ways to play rogue, and BOTH must be taken advantage of in order to do well consistently.

METHOD 1: Hide and wait until someone is under 2k HP, then use Dark Illusion.

This may sound cheap and dishonorable, and that's because it is. Rogues don't care about having honor or not-- people that lose usually do. You picked Rogue, so you have chosen the dark path of being a cheap kill-stealer.

It's more fun than it sounds though, at least for me. I personally try to imagine how mad the other guy is when I steal his kill from him. Picturing him cursing at his computer screen makes me happy.

Basically, just do exactly that; wait until someone hits slightly under 2k HP, and then spam dark illusion until you [hopefully] kill them. This is the recommended way to start rounds 1-4.

However, you can't wait too long, and you have to be wary of your cd's and nearby AoE's that may reveal you when you try to attack.

If you can't get the kill (or feel that you'll get it) within the first 30 seconds, then abandon this method and go to method 2.

METHOD 2: Isolate and kill monsters while spamming potions and Gangster's Paradise.

Rogues actually have an advantage on killing monsters, and it's easy to get them to come to you by throwing a dagger at them or just slashing them once or twice. Sometimes I will use Method 1 to steal a 15k monster from Method 2. Sound complicated?

Basically you need to decide how confident you are that you can kill someone with your DI. You don't want to just attempt it and waste it (besides when you miss, since that's out of your control). If you don't see any players that look like they are in the right HP range or are dying fast enough, then use it to KS a monster.

Usually rounds 3 & 4 are where you have to start using Method 2. Before doubting Method 2, let me just say I've made it to the final round several times with only a single kill (once even with 0 kills!) in round 4.

Don't get stressed and panic trying to be perfect in Method 1 if you have a bunch of priests and tanks running around that aren't reliable kills. If it's not happening within the first 30 seconds, just abandon it and go for Method 2.

They give us monsters for a reason, take advantage of them. When you get snared or frozen, don't just stand there planning how you'll complain to your friends about losing. Throw a dagger at a monster-- try to kill it before you die. Take the monsters with you. The monsters add up; they will get you to the next round.

Some General Tips:

-------
When you respawn in rounds 4 & 5, and your smoke bomb is off CD-- DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT RE-BUFF YOURSELF. You can't forget there are less players in those rounds, so the odds of you getting hit with a DoT are high. Especially if your opponents know what they're doing.

WHEN YOU RESPAWN, GO STRAIGHT TO SMOKE BOMB! At least this will give you a moment to get your bearings and figure out what's going on around you. Even if you aren't planning to DI someone, use your 2nd smoke bomb. It will probably be your last chance to be invisible for the rest of the round.

Dirty plan, however, should not be spammed in the same way. It keeps you standing still for just long enough to get screwed over. If your DP is off CD, and smoke bomb isn't, it may be better to just save it in case you happen to get that #1 at the end of the round and need an extra Gangster's Paradise / random smoke bomb (to escape targeting) in order to survive those last few seconds.

---------

---------

Patience is key. Be patient, my son. It's okay if someone is low on health and gets bursted to death in front of you. There are other people you can still kill. There is no reason to spam DI at the first low-hp person you see.

Steady, focused, and at your own pace-- this is how you want to play with hiding and Dark Illusion.

YOU are in control, not the random sorcerer's bursting people to death from 5k. (At least you will tell yourself this.)

----------------

Slash random people when you're out of hiding and waiting on smoke bomb / dirty plan CD's. You don't have to try to kill them-- just build up your Combo Points & possibly get a Combo Mastery proc while you're looking for someone low enough to kill steal. Some people won't even react to you if you just slash them once and keep running.

-----------------

If it looks like you have no hope, there's 1 minute left, and you have no kills-- GO FOR THE PORINGS!!! When you have no hope, poring buffs are your only chance at redemption. It's luck-based, but at least it's something.

A rogue with the 30 second enrage buff can take down the entire colosseum. I've gone on rampages where I've killed nearly 10 people in a row just because I was so powerful.

--------------------

Round 5

Round 5 should be played differently than all other rounds. You should use your guardian right before after using your first smoke bomb -- a level 3 guardian will cut the usual CD time in half. Remember though, there's currently a glitch (i think it's a glitch, anyway) where when you die once during a round, you can't use your guardian the rest of that round. (It does, however, revert to being a full guardian gauge at the start of the next round.)

So you might as well use it at some point while you're alive that first time, unless you're extremely confident you won't die.

--------------------

More tips on Guardian Usage in the Final Round: (Credit to Mysticalre):

"This is good advice, but I've always used guardian after my first smokebomb. How come you use it before? What if you don't find a target within 30s?

I usually do:
1) DI once + smoke
2) guardian when someone starts getting focused
3) DI again
4) DP + smoke (so both get affected by guardian)"

-----------------------

Isolating people is key in round 5. Sometimes it's good to pretend to run from a ranger, getting him to chase you (thinking you're an easy kill), only to pop your guardian & gangster's paradise... and then you can turn around and beat him to death.

It's good to save a smoke bomb for the last 30 seconds of the round. If you get first place around that time and can smoke bomb without a DoT, do it. Then wait. You should watch everyone's health, and also watch the time. If someone is about to be killed, you'll have to attempt to steal it (or you might lose first place). This concept takes a LOT of experience and even I have trouble making the right decision sometimes on what to do in these last moments. More often than not it's better to do nothing and wait, but there are times when I've lost and could have easily stolen the kill if I just went for it.

Feel free to discuss :)

Edited by xxalucard, 18 July 2013 - 05:27 PM.

#2 AssassinKai

AssassinKai

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 15 June 2013 - 05:07 AM

Good discussion i like it

#3 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 12:19 PM

I need a strategy for how to deal with the permanent gang bag by rangers and sorcs. The only reason I lose is getting killed by them. It's rare that they're chasing me alone, and usually they don't care if I have max HP or not. I stay in Hide as much as possible, but the little time I'm on cd for that is often enough to get killed at least once. And often, this drops me from like 1st place to 6 or lower.

#4 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

Here's one of my recent wins that I think can explain my post better and help answer some questions:

Edited by xxalucard, 16 June 2013 - 02:34 PM.

#5 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

Another recent one:

http://youtu.be/TXhaU5cy4yE

Feel free to just skip to the final round (14:18), since it probably shows the best judgement I've ever had in all my Colo runs so far. Some people have said that the final round was what gave them trouble, understandably, and I think that this particular video can help with that. (At least for this kind of situation)

One key to the final round is knowing when to go for the kill. If you watch carefully, you'll notice I time my assault on the sorcerer (about halfway through the final round) right when his LoR disappears.

Another key is knowing WHAT to do. After I launch my assault on the sorcerer, you see me follow up with Dirty Plan + Moonlight Dance. The reason I did this is because I had a feeling that Deadly Blow would not be enough to secure the kill. It could've missed, the sorc could've healed himself a little during the animation, someone else could've done a quick/instant burst before the hit landed, etc.

At the very end I don't just run away while I'm invisible. I pay attention to everyone's HP to make sure there are no miraculous kills at the last moment that bring me down to 2nd place. And... wouldn't you know it... a sorcerer I tab to is about to get killed. If I wasn't paying attention, or I didn't react as fast as I did, I probably would have lost that colosseum.

Also, position is everything-- always try to put yourself in a spot where you can see what's going on.

#6 mysticalre

mysticalre

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 12:46 PM

This is good advice, but I've always used guardian after my first smokebomb. How come you use it before? What if you don't find a target within 30s?

I usually do:
1) DI once + smoke
2) guardian when someone starts getting focused
3) DI again
4) DP + smoke (so both get affected by guardian)

Edited by mysticalre, 13 August 2013 - 04:50 PM.

#7 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:34 PM

That's a good point, I guess I've been playing like a noob for awhile lol. Probably has to do with some paranoia that i'll get hit with a DoT the split second I go for the first DI. I tried it though, and your method is definitely superior-- I'll add it to the OP.

I'd also like to add a new technique I've incorporated is purposely not doing anything for the first minute. I'll sit in hide, let people kill each other a bit, and -then- go for the KS at around 2 min. With guardian on your CD's, that gives you a lot of options and I tend to not get as screwed on respawn (since there's less time left).

Edited by VolunteerMod11, 13 August 2013 - 06:13 AM.

#8 mysticalre

mysticalre

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:56 PM

x

Edited by mysticalre, 12 August 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#9 Shiris

Shiris

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Server:RO2 - Odin

Posted 22 June 2013 - 10:21 PM

Wished I knew you could guardian while stealthed, would have won more colo's xD

------------
Wow that guardian in stealth increases my chances of winning final round so much. I derped and used it 4th round when I thought it was 5th round and it cost me a win.

Edited by Shiris, 24 June 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#10 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:56 PM

Here's a video where I actually highlight a series of mistakes I made in the final round...in slo-mo with super mario music:

I've decided to only record rounds 3 & up from now on, since no one's really interested in the earlier rounds anyway

Edited by xxalucard, 24 June 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#11 AssassinKai

AssassinKai

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

I wonder is there any video like this for assassins

#12 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:29 PM

More tips / explanations of the final round:

from now on just doing rounds 4 & 5 to save time & space-- plus it's probably what most people are interested in.

Edited by xxalucard, 05 August 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#13 Velouce

Velouce

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

I've noticed that winning in round 5 as a rogue isn't even that hard if you follow the same tactic every time. If you're lucky enough to kill 2-3 people (or sometimes 1 1st place can do it) with DI and get into safety fast enough with another SB, stay there until the end. There are 2 possibilities, you fall to 2nd place, then just check the stats with capslock, in such a case it is very possible that someone kills the current 1st place really fast, making you reach 1st again. I've won this way btw, watching everyone kill each other for over 1 minute and nobody reached my killing count, so I ended up 1st. The other possibility is, someone else gets first in the last moments. In this case, I often made the mistake chasing 1st together with everyone else, which might work if he/she drops to low HP (though again, raising chance for you to auto-pop 1st), but if he/she is able to stall 4 attackers (or 5 w you) with heals,buffs and pots, rather invest into someone else, preferably with low HP, only if you have eiher 1 SB left or it's like 15seconds on the timer.

The worst thing to happen - you get a debuff between DI and rehide (it's a mystery to me how people are able to click you and debuff you in those 2-5seconds you're revealed), you get killed and spawn with a debuff (which is even more mysterious).

#14 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

Here's a good example of my "Go AFK for a minute" theory in the final round

didn't plan on ending up in the ceiling though.....

#15 RyeAkai

RyeAkai

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

Hadn't actually taken my time to watch this vids since I'm no rogue, but I was watching that last video, and gotta say I had a good laugh with the music and your "Kobe moment" xD

Also, I think even I (Assassin) can take some things from this videos.

Good at colloseum and doing the videos.

#16 Toki

Toki

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:TOKL / iiWAZii

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:20 PM

First colo win at lvl 47 Pure Str / Single Target Build
Learn a few things on the vids

ycau.jpg

Edited by 822130524202453920, 12 July 2013 - 12:10 AM.

#17 3305130708053819460

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts
  • LocationEurope
  • Server:Odin, Ch3 mostly

Posted 03 August 2013 - 01:22 PM

I've read in some other topic that you should never max out Dirty Plan. I thought that I could take 2/5 DP and take 3/3 Hide instead (or 3/5 poisioning) instead of DP. 

What do you think about it?

Btw your videos have helped me a lot :) Even with my low lvl 3x rogue I could make it into higher rounds than with my sorc thanks to your tips. 

#18 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

just for the note, not sure if you guys have noticed but when you respawn after death there is a fraction of a second you are "off-battle"

it is enought time for a single skill to activate... soooooo you can hide mid-colo without using smoke bomb if you died, down side is that you dont get any extra buff other than hide so your DI will be a tad mediocre... but it allows another KS which will improve your killing rate =_____=a

#19 xxalucard

xxalucard

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:26 AM

^

I tested this recently and (lol) it works.  NEW GLITCH TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF!!!  all classes with hide can spam hide as they respawn and it works!!!

Thumbs up to Korea

#20 KIyde

KIyde

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Server:RO II - Odin

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:05 AM

Here's a video me playing in Colo, my performance was quite bad since I only had lvl 1 Dark Illusion, plus you know, typical people warping around/lag... but eh, here ya go:

http://www.twitch.tv/kiyde/c/2664580

#21 ZT0100

ZT0100

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:20 PM

Yo Lein, better edit that post before that kill it like they did Moonlight Walk!!!!!! This will be a secret between us rogues. :3

#22 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:23 PM

sorry, but is part of my morals not to use a bug without reporting it first, btw I reported it already =___=a

even before posting here...

I ninja ppl in colo with my sin like this... yup, a sin, with DI lvl 1, they just see themselves being killed by a guy with katars that suddenly transforms into a shadow fiend... oh well... hillarious enough

Edit: now I feel weird for being a Rogue with «morals»

Edited by Leinzan, 05 August 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#23 SparklingLimeade

SparklingLimeade

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

Aww, secret's out. I mentioned it to friends when I noticed it myself and one of them knew. Sins lose our best two attacks without buffs though so I never cared much. Just used it once in round 5 after I got 1st place by a large enough margin to keep it after dying. Round 5 is funny.

#24 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:15 PM

heeeh, well, it was boud to get out sooner or later anyway, funny thing is that my post on the bug forums got deleted...

I happened to run into it by accident because I noobed out and tapped my hidding button instead of the shadow form one... odd enought I was hidden by the time I noticed...

reached round 5 like that, yup, round 5 is funny.

#25 ZT0100

ZT0100

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:02 PM

Here's a video me playing in Colo, my performance was quite bad since I only had lvl 1 Dark Illusion, plus you know, typical people warping around/lag... but eh, here ya go:

http://www.twitch.tv/kiyde/c/2664580

Run, Klyde! Run!!!!!!! That's a great win, lol! It reminds me of my track and field days, when I had to race against time. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users