Playing a healer in this game is really hard - Acolyte - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Playing a healer in this game is really hard

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OhManOhGod

OhManOhGod

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:18 AM

I usually love being the supporter class in games, but healing in this game and keeping your party alive is really really difficult.

There are too many long cooldown for the few healing skills that could help. There is also the risk of becoming a threat if I just use HH or Heal too often if I understood that guide correctly. I'm used to have a hp bar right above my character's head and I think I died twice for not noticing my HP was dropping.

Everything was going well until I joined a party for Izlude's first dungeon. The Phenomena boss.
We fought it 3 times, and I was the first to die twice. In the end the party beat it 2 of the 3 times. There was another time before that, but the only reason no one died back then was because I wasn't the only healer.
I really think I'm terrible at this and I'm almost giving up playing a full support priest. I tried to follow the advices. I try to keep using renovatio instead of Heal, until someone's HP has been decreased by like 1/5 or more, then I use Asp + HH. The problem is, when there are two long-range attackers they're never close to the tanker. I rarely use normal Heal, because it just seems so pointless to. It has a 1 sec casting time, and by the time I use it, there already is a need for HH.
I try to cast renovatio on everyone just to be safe, since the tanker is the one getting hit most of the time.
I don't know when to use Sanctuary. I got it that Coluseo Heal is to be used only on the tanker.

But it's just so complicated. Everyone's HP seems to drop faster than I can keep up with. I see everyone dropping at once... use sanctuary to recover and buff. Then cooldown means I need to use the other skills. Tanker's HP 1/5 or 2/5 down, use Asp + HH. But the ranger's HP is already 2/4... I try to heal the Ranger but then Tanker is back to losing 2/5 of its HP... And I need to cast aspersio before healing, which adds more delay between my actions. And I need to keep renovatio on everyone...
And I need to predict when there will be summoned monsters, because if I heal someone during the time I'll get targetted and die... I don't know how the hell i'm supposed to predict that.

I have like 140 INT currently, yet HH with Aspersio isn't even recovering 500 HP to the tanker.

So yeah, I think I suck at this. And being a healer has never so difficult.
I wanted to be one because I noticed it's very hard to find any. (No wonder it's hard)
But maybe I'm not cut for the job.

Isn't there a video or tutorial teaching how to use the skills properly? I read the guides but I think people like me are too dumb to work around just that.

Any advices at all?

#2 superhbman

superhbman

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:42 AM

Yea, healing in RO2 is tough.

1. You could try choosing a different UI setup. It's under the Menu > Game Settings > Change UI Position > Dropdown box. Both Type 2 and Type 3 brings your unit frame just to the left of your hotkey bars, so it's easier to see. I can't find the option to display your own HP bar though, meh.

2. Threat is only an issue during the initial pull and on mobs. Considering raw threat values, healing threat is no where near DPS or Tank threat. If you're having trouble with healing threat, chances are that the tank isn't picking up all the mobs properly, and / or his / her HP drops too fast that healing threat is greater than the tank's threat.

If the boss is attacking you despite of threat, it's an encounter mechanic. I've written guides on Izlude Cave and Sea God's Temple so far, so you can check those out. There're at the RO2 Guidebook section. I've also included videos in a healer's perspective since I play healers too. They're at pages 2 and / or 3 by now since no one replied to them.

Penomena and Mortal Nukaruka are the 2 most difficult bosses at level 25, so it's expected. A few tips I can give you:
- Request co-operation from your group. They need to kill the adds asap, it's their duty. Also, ask them to chug pots and maybe bunch up together for heals. Prepare to chug pots yourself too.
- Pre-emptive Renovatio. Cast Renovatio before the big hit lands.
- Know the encounter and react to the abilities. To me, Penomena is mostly a healer's fight.

Wish you luck.

P.S. I've successfully healed both Izlude Cave and Sea God's Temple as an Acolyte on my Monk character, so it can be done without Priest heals. No videos as an Aco though.

Edited by superhbman, 17 June 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#3 vonnegut

vonnegut

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • Server:RO2: Odin

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:58 AM

Don't give up! Being a healer in this game is incredibly hard and most people seem to encounter that steep learning curve in the Izlude cave. Just make sure everyone, including the ranged stack up all together by the tank and that way your HH covers three of you and it helps your healing. You can do it, you can't give up.

#4 AngeChan

AngeChan

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:18 AM

Izlude Cave really is one of the hardest dungeons to heal for its level. As one of the first 50 priest, I was told by pugs multiple times that I was the only priest they had ever seen able to solo heal Sandarman Hardmode solo without sorc help and no death. This is before anybody had full RHD or raid equips. Even then, I had trouble in IC when I was leveling. Every dungeon after was quite easy. One thing that will help is as vonnegut said, since Penomena has no cleave. He target a random person sometimes, so just group up for HH. Also, ask DPS to use pots if they get target. It will make your job much easier.

#5 Poohie

Poohie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:50 PM

Hi,

I've played healer class for many mmorpg and I'm 100% confident keeping people alive as myself as well.

Yes, I agreed with u on this. RO 2 has been a challenge to me in keeping people alive as well as lvl up. Since I have no friends or partner to help me on lvling. But anyway back to topic, ATM my char is lvl 25 and I have been to couple of dungeons I dont really remember the name. one of them is u have to talk to turtle to get in. During the run, I always cast renovation on everyone who are atking close target and especially on tanker before he charge to the mobs. It work pretty well. Even at boss place I keep my renovation alive all the time as much as I can. So mostly I just keep burning my sp. hardly people die in my party the only time they die is because mob killed me 1st. Or they don't wait for me/ wait for my sp before boss.
My build are full Int and I max all the skills on ur right tress which is healing and stuffs. I also max hp buff. I don't have the aspirattio or crit thing ATM because I have no clue/ idea how it work. But hopefully in the future I know more about it. I like shield spell but also love to heal people that's my main goal so I'm not sure what's going to happen but I like changelle myself. Hard to find the right build in the beginning I guess.
Anther fustration for me is I hardly got partner or help on my quests .. I have only lvl 1 atk spells.. In the future I really hope to find someone to lvl with me or help me.
I really enjoy playing as full support roll. Hope u don't give up ur hope ~

Aeirs

#6 ootoro

ootoro

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationEl Salvador
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:24 AM

I always try tho be at least 5 lvls over the lvl requeriment, i have an hybrid priest and is easy to lvl with a green pandora weapon XD

Being a healer in this game is stressing u-u, specially if the party members dont do theyr parts and instead they do one or all of this thinks:

-Squishy ranged classed who don't stay together
-Squishy dps who don't use pots or think he can tank the boss
-DPS not killing adds
-Tank loosing aggro of the boss or not mobing the boss from some blue/colored ring (moonlight killing squishy classes)

Thats why i always use renovatio, always XD, and then aspersio+HH on somebody, and since nobody wants to stay together i have only used sanctuary 2 times XD oh and i use colusseo heal on my self XD or on an squishy ranged class, and use assumptio on squishy classes or tank while im healing other squishy member XD.

And the major problem of the game is the learning curve, ur first first is a dungeon for 1 person! the one where u kill the kiel memory, and then another 1 person dungeon, squishy golden thief bug, and then u are lvl 17-20 and wolf cave appear and u need a tank-healer-dps? and after that everything is getting worse and worse @_@ specially if people don't know how to play! like a lvl 18 acolyte in wolf cave who don't have heals because he was going for monk, wtf?!

#7 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:50 AM

One thing to keep in mind as well, if something is targetting you and the tank or DPS are in fact trying to get them off you, move around a bit. Monster AI has a bad habit of getting stuck and moving helps it get unstuck. Playing as tank I've found often monsters just will not switch to me even if I'm miles ahead in threat and I'm provoking (which should cut short any random switches that for instance peno does). Make sure your DPS knows this as well.

#8 Poohie

Poohie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

im just found out a better build for healer ( at least to me and have been improved since lvl 25 )

Hello again,

Recently i just reset my skills because i read couples of skills info and i wanted to try new things. anyway im Lv 29 now and still full INT. I havent put any stats on other yet. these are my skills build :

maxed - renovation, HH, Sacrament.
heal - Lv 2
Blessing - Lv 4 ( i do this because i think i have low HP, i will probably max it later )
Meditatio - Lv1 ( no idea how it is work )
Increase Agi - Lv1 ( just need to open my next skill and get Aspersio )
resurrection _ Lv1
Aqua Benedicta - Lv 1 ( maxed )
Aspersio - Lv3 (maxed )
Coluceo Heal - Lv1 ( i like this skill but i only put it lvl 1 because of cd and i want to get last spell (aoe heal ) )
Assumptio - Lv1 ( this one is good but i think if u wanna compare to CH i would max CH 1st)
Sanctuary - Lv2 ( i really like this skill, its save my party members lives so many time including myself especially during boss )

this are my combo when im on dungeon - always cast myself Sacrament 1st, i used the most are renovation, and spam my Aspersio as many time i can which is really good because i dont have to spam my SP pots all the time.
main combo :(Aqua Benedicta+ Aspersio) + renovation + heal
sometime i use HH and CH

these are basic My Healing ;
renovation - 119 ~ 131 ish
heal - 190 ~ 380 ish
HH- 300+ ~ 550+ish ( not so sure lol i didnt pay so much attention on it )

so yeah this is very improved than before my old build. i can heal super easy on the lvl 27 ~ 32 dungeons.
the only time i die is cos of the AOE of the cat boss and my HP is low..

anyway im doing some research about should i add Vit or Agi. i love crit heal~ <3 im not sure how much agi i should have to get a decent crit. also Vit to survive on Aoe or boss atk ( from getting aggros mobs )

anyway hope u enjoy as much as i m ~

Aeirs ^^

Edited by Poohie, 22 June 2013 - 03:32 PM.

#9 RavenTDA

RavenTDA

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:32 AM

I'm a lvl 50 hybrid healer and I guess I'm pretty alright at healing though I kinda messed up my skill build a little but here's some healing tips:

• Cast Reno on the tank BEFORE he hits the boss the first time if you can... like just right before. If you can get it on the whole party as well before he attacks do it.
  • Try to keep Reno on everyone if there is a lot of AOE. If the Tank is holding the aggro good then put it on you and him.
  • Colo heal isn't just for tanks, especially if you maxed it out. Use it. A dead player does you no good. I've casted it on plenty of squishies I just can't heal in time because the tank needs me. Colo them and then move on.
  • When you see a lot of people's HP down really low like the whole party use Sanctuary. Even if people aren't grouped together. They know what it is. They will come to you. Get it near the tank; the ranged can move heal up and move back. If they don't come anyways nag them next time to go in it.
  • Aspero+HH is good when AOE slaps the whole party. Move around to those that you think need it the most. You don't always have to heal the tank. Tanks can take a lot of damage. I usually make sure the tank has at least reno. Heal up the squishies and then go back to the tank.
  • Heal yourself. I tend to forget this a lot. But if you die, the party will suffer.
  • Use pots. Just because you can heal doesn't mean you shouldn't use pots. I have a tendency to use pots on myself when my HP is low so I can focus on the others because they can only pot themselves and don't have heals like you do. Their pots are probably in CD so keep that in mind.
  • Make sure the entire party uses Pots. The tank needs to use this. No one should go without using pots.
  • If the tank is holding the aggro so well he's taking way more damage than you can heal then aspero+Heal is good and don't forget reno!
  • Don't stop healing or doing SOMETHING. Don't wait until HP bars are down. Heal heal heal. If you take the aggro the tank will take it back. You can always heal yourself.
  • If you have it make sure to put DoTs on the boss. If everyone's HP is pretty good I replace it back on the boss. Casting this right after the tank strikes it (not just threatens it) is a good time. They don't last forever so if you got the moment put it on there. The faster the boss goes down the better. If the party is doing really well then feel free to throw a Lex after you've done the DoTs. It only takes a second so if you are suddenly needed you aren't tied up with too much casting time.
  • Never cast HH when HP bars are near full. At least cast it with Aspero so it gives some HoTs. HoTs are always good. This is to prevent HH and Aspero being in CD when you actually really need it.
  • If the tank is taking on a large amount of monsters at once use Assumptio.
  • Use Assumptio on the tank + Reno when you need the heal the squishies. This prevents the tank from dieing or needing your attention while you help the others.

That's about all I can think of right now. After while you'll get so good you can keep your party's HP at full almost the whole battle. Hope that helps ya out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users