14 replies to this topic

#1 Lyrinn

Lyrinn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:34 AM

First off, I'd like to say I have no problems with the DPS build itself. In fact, I'd like to try it out myself because blasting people with a massive ray of light looks fun. What I have noticed is that it seems to be the flavour of the month and it's attracting all sorts of bad players. I've had more wipes this past week than I have in the last two months I've been playing. Why? These priests cast Ray of Genesis on the boss when the tank is sitting at 25% health -- which they shouldn't be that low to begin with. These priests don't level up their heals. I've even seen one priest spam Holy Light and never use Renovatio or HH.

Please, for the love of Odin, if you are playing DPS priest, stop signing up for RHDs and such as a healer and sign up as DPS. Simply being a priest does not automatically make you a healer.

#2 Squachie

Squachie

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 21 June 2013 - 02:38 PM

Bad players will always be bad players no matter what class they play. A dps monk who think they can tank because of their class is just as bad.
Not all dps/hybrid priests are bad players and know when to heal and when to dps so I find it unfair that you clump them alongside the baddies. :sob:

If a priest signs up to heal, they better know that they're going to be healing. If they wanted to dps, they should have selected the dps role.

#3 Lyrinn

Lyrinn

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 03:08 PM

I know there are people who play it properly. I'd even argue they're better than FS priests (and this is coming a FS priest) because they can help clear trash mobs and help kill bosses when everyone is topped off (e.g. Gedenhard). I'm just annoyed because there's something about being a DPS priest that attracts all these bads. 9/10 parties I've been in lately have been DPS or hybrid priest; FS looks dead outside of raids. They're worse than DPS warriors who try to pass themselves off as tanks without Defender.

#4 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 03:43 AM

Huh, that's really bad...
I'm making a DPS priest myself next to my support priest, but I did so as a solo build, probably not going to party at all. But I still level up heal and reno (actually heal3, reno3 and HH5), how the hell are you going to solo without those skills? It's just gimping yourself...

#5 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

Huh, that's really bad...
I'm making a DPS priest myself next to my support priest, but I did so as a solo build, probably not going to party at all. But I still level up heal and reno (actually heal3, reno3 and HH5), how the hell are you going to solo without those skills? It's just gimping yourself...

That sounds like a lot of points in healing, more like a hybrid build to be honest...
A DPS priest build looks something more like this:
http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0

#6 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

It really depends on what your goal is with the build I guess... here's mine, I'm actually taking more DPS skills:
http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0
I don't care about blessing since I don't foresee ever using this character in raids where max hp actually determines if you'll survive or not (I'm guessing this a bit, basing it on what I read here, since I still havent got to max level with any char).
Gloria isn't worth much because I'm not a healer (so don't usually spam heal) and I don't spam HL either. Even on a single target, after the three dots, aspersio, RoG, aqua benedicta, renovatio, HH and possibly some heals, there's not that much time left for HL's.
Highness heal is great for me when soloing some dungeons because it let's me throw out an aspersio'd HH when reno can't keep up on its own and quickly get back to doing damage.
Your build looks more like a PVP build actually, with coluseo thrown in and less DoT damage.

If I didn't already have HL maxed I might drop that actually since once you have all your priest skills it's really just a small factor in your total damage output... Might have taken max blessing for it after all.

#7 Exvee

Exvee

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1777 posts
  • LocationZaius (Magma Fire)
  • Server:Chaos/Odin

Posted 22 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Long story short, don't be 100% pure DPS/FS. It's really possible to make something like these:

DPS: http://www.ro2skills...10qOeBdDrbeBeD5
Support: http://www.ro2skills...eBdDrbqBad1boqA

I don't know what's the idea, but once you play Priest when you in party the 1st priority is heal party members. People who play RO1 and other mmo already know these. I don't know why people didn't do that common sense in this game...

Edited by Exvee, 22 June 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#8 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

It really depends on what your goal is with the build I guess... here's mine, I'm actually taking more DPS skills:
http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0
I don't care about blessing since I don't foresee ever using this character in raids where max hp actually determines if you'll survive or not (I'm guessing this a bit, basing it on what I read here, since I still havent got to max level with any char).
Gloria isn't worth much because I'm not a healer (so don't usually spam heal) and I don't spam HL either. Even on a single target, after the three dots, aspersio, RoG, aqua benedicta, renovatio, HH and possibly some heals, there's not that much time left for HL's.
Highness heal is great for me when soloing some dungeons because it let's me throw out an aspersio'd HH when reno can't keep up on its own and quickly get back to doing damage.
Your build looks more like a PVP build actually, with coluseo thrown in and less DoT damage.

If I didn't already have HL maxed I might drop that actually since once you have all your priest skills it's really just a small factor in your total damage output... Might have taken max blessing for it after all.

Yeah, I guess mine's more a PVP build, since DPS priests aren't really welcome in raids...
But even during my grinding, my rotation does include HL, so I believe even as a DPS Priest in a raid you would use HL quite a bit.
For your rotations as a DPS Priest on a boss fight in a raid, it takes like roughly 4 seconds to apply all DoTs, another 3 seconds for RoG and maybe 1 more second for Lex Divina. At this point your DoTs should still be there, so the best choice is to Asp + 3X HL for maximum damage (more if you get lucky with Gloria)
Grinding is just a process of levelling up to lv 50, I don't see a point in making a build for "grinding" when end-game is either Colosseum, raid healing or raid DPS (unless you've got a skill reset to use at lv 50).

#9 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

I don't know what it is with the builds here, go full on the DPS or go full support. Hybrids can work but even they have their faults when it is adjusted to the equipment difficulty.

Full DPS priests wouldn't level a heal, but would put at most 2 points in Reno for better healing.
Full Supports will either go the path of Archangel or stop at Gloria and start maxing out their healing skills.

#10 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

Yeah I'm probably something of an odd player, I've never really done much endgame in any game :P
I tend to just make different characters and enjoy leveling them up. I'll probably get bored of RO2 before I run out of classes I want to play up to 50.

Jargous, if getting more DPS skills will barely increase your damage output, then it's stupid to stubbornly stick to them just to call yourself a full DPS when investing a few more points in the healing tree will make your build much more viable. Personally I'd think no priest should go without at least maxed out renovatio.
Full support is different because there are more skills to choose from.

#11 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 01:52 AM

I guess if you want to go full DPS build ie. glass cannon for Raids (same role as DPS sorcs), this is what you would do:

#12 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

Yeah I'm probably something of an odd player, I've never really done much endgame in any game :P
I tend to just make different characters and enjoy leveling them up. I'll probably get bored of RO2 before I run out of classes I want to play up to 50.

Jargous, if getting more DPS skills will barely increase your damage output, then it's stupid to stubbornly stick to them just to call yourself a full DPS when investing a few more points in the healing tree will make your build much more viable. Personally I'd think no priest should go without at least maxed out renovatio.
Full support is different because there are more skills to choose from.

Things that players tend to miss about DPS. It's not about Credo and Adoramus for dots, it's about Oratio. Despite it being the weakest of the bunch, Asp + ME w/ max Oratio = Painful damage. 150% versus 110% is quite a difference when it's DoT damage.

Suffragium is important despite majority of your skills not requiring cast times. This in turn ups your overall DPS. Max renovatio is only required if you really need the survive, but 2 renovatio is enough for DPS priests because AA is around.

When you look at DPS priest builds, it is all about their dots and it does add up when you compare it to Hybrids. Hybrids usually have lv 1 on all dots and lv 1 suffragium, compare it to the dots from a full DPS priest.

Lv 5 Oratio is 4% more per tick = 40% over its period
Lv 3 Adoramus is 3% more per tick = 30% over its period
Lv 4 Credo is 4% more per tick = 60% over its period

Going for the period of Credo at 30 seconds, this would bump up Oratio and Adoramus' values to 60% and 45% respectively leaving with...

165% extra DoT value over 30 seconds. With a 3.2k atk priest, that value comes to over 5k damage. If you had a hybrid priest in the party, their options is either to heal in which it is only equal when AA is up and they would have sub-par healing skills. Consider their role in DPSing, well you can't DoT if there's a full DPS priest unless you are going for adds in which the DPS priest might go for them too. Very few players respect the power of DPS priests. The viability of DPS priests is often misunderstood, but you won't be able to see that power until WoE comes around. That is where you see many builds get changed because you will need to learn how to make to with a build that has as many limitations as it has potential.

#13 Finraziel

Finraziel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:39 AM

I'm not exactly sure on why you're directing all that at me (if you are). The only thing in the DoTs I sacrificed is adoramus, and that's because I find for me it's more important to get some more healing power to solo more things. Leveling up your DoTs is definitely important if you're going for max DPS, I agree with that. I wouldn't leave credo at lvl 4, the next rank increases it by 2%.
I don't see how suff is supposed to increase your DPS so much. Just about all it does is make your holy light and adoramus take 1.9 instead of 2 seconds, that's not really awe inspiring if you ask me. Haste is just a pretty underwhelming stat because global cooldowns are not affected and make up at least half of your waiting time for most classes and a lot more for priests (unless all you do is HL HL HL HL HL).

#14 CheshyreNeko

CheshyreNeko

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:03 AM

I tried a lot of builds from being an FS, Hybrid and now DPS Priest both SEA and NA server. Few points for my fellow priest here for end game:

Starters

If your not geared enough (i.e. RHD set/Bapho or PVE gears) and would want to join pug party's and raid, their expecting you to heal since your classified as a healer. I won't advice sacrificing much on your heal tree especially if you cant heal enough your MT's or OT's. Stop being stubborn on casting those DoT's and RoG's if almost party members are dying. It will only be an option between a true FS or a Hybrid w/ heal tree. You can still survive collo with a half ass hybrid build, though you won't be as bad ass like pure DPS but hey I still champ on collo's when I was still starting.

Choosing path between Hybrid and Pure DPS

Typical Raid - If I'll based it on my experience in game, I gauge myself if I can heal the MT's and OT's well enough. If their HP's are dropping like -_-s, you better not go to DPS build by this time. If your outhealing the damages taken by the tanks, then I may say your ready to become a DPS priest.

Collo Geared - If you earned collo weapon + armor and pants / collo weapon + accessories, heal outcome will become higher considering the fact that you only have low skill lvl of heal or HH by being hybrid. When I got some collo parts, thats when I decided to switch to a full DPS build but I can still do raids and obb run's smoothly though my heal is lvl 1. It's a matter of knowing your capacity as a healer not compromising the raid/rhd members by your sucking low heal.

Future Patch

- If CoA will release soon, I suggest to switch back to being hybrid w/ heal tree or fs build if you got most parts you need from collo since you'll definitely need a big amount of heal for this type of raid.

tl; dr? here:
For now, know your priority, and since I'm aiming to complete my collo set and that's the best set so far, I reset my skills to DPS.

#15 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

I guess if you want to go full DPS build ie. glass cannon for Raids (same role as DPS sorcs), this is what you would do:

I'd argue that if you were 100% pure DPS you'd drop the three points for Reno and pump them into Suff.

See, the issue with Battle Priests is how little utility they bring compared to the damage they bring. Unlike Sorcs there's no way we can bring strong DPS AND strong healing. You either gimp one tree (DPS) or the other (Healing), and both will be mediocre for it. It's not to say they can't heal well. Most hybrids I know can go toe to toe with FS. It's that once you do your damage suffers for it.

It also doesn't help that everyone you run into automatically assumes if you're a priest you're a healer, but that's another rant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users