#1 AuroraSkye

AuroraSkye

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 25 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

Alrighty boys and girls, I'm starting a post because I just can't find anything on it. I'm interesting in making a DPS Knight, one that CANNOT tank, got it? Good. ^-^ I'm defying stereotypes here.

That being said, I've ran into a few problems that I can't seem to get over. Aura Blade or Armor being one. Yes I know by not tanking that would mean Aura Blade all the way, but Aura Armor really does give such great buffs compared to the +10% atk that Armor gives. By getting Aura Armor, means I can tank somewhat, I know that, but I just can't figure out the best of the two skills to choose.

2nd Stats. I've figured either 33str/33agi/32int would be good. Yes I'm getting Battle Tactics. (50int = +20% more crit dmg)

3rd Other Skills --- I don't plan on getting Aura Shield or Shield Fortress seeing as no tanking seems pointless unless someone points out something I've missed.

http://ro2base.com/b...2.1.1/0.0.0.0.0 <--- Purely DPS

http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0 <-- Aura Shield

http://ro2base.com/b...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0 <-- Aura Armor instead, slightly altered?

These are just variations that I was thinking about and not sure of. So in dire need of options and suggestions.

Anyone that can help, I would greatly appreciate it!. ^-^

Edited by AuroraSkye, 25 June 2013 - 04:04 AM.

#2 AlexaWhite

AlexaWhite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:08 AM

By my expirience - aura blade nice option to not overpass agrro of maintank and do damage. But there is other opinions about auras.
Shield Fortress is utility skill for party - you does not need to be tank for make cover your party from nukes. Right now it mostly useless, but in later raids can be usefull.
About stats - u need MORE int and agi. On swords equipment already plenty of str, but few agi and no int.
Wait SonicTMP - he more expirienced in DPS knights. And better in english ^^

#3 AuroraSkye

AuroraSkye

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

Alexa, Thank you for replying so quickly. I more or less needed someone to push me in either decision as I'm still not sure. You say Aura Blade is the better option? Does SonicTMP also have it and is it maxed?

I noticed I don't get any int from gears and barely agi, so you might be right about that. Also, you say that Shield Fortress is good to get anyways? What about maxing Aura Shield?

Btw, your English is just fine. ^-^

#4 AlexaWhite

AlexaWhite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

Aura Armor - it's for taking role of Tank/OffTank in party, because in random dungeon it hard for knights to obtain DPS role. Everyone looks on knight like them only tankers and no exeptions. If you have friends or guild - you can ignore that aspect.
And other aspect of aura armor - it very usefull in colloseum. It adds hp and anyone in colo try avoid fight with someone more 40% def and 10k+ hp.- because it time wasting for them if you not in top. It helps ^^ I have w/0 aura armor under 9k HP w/o VIP, and ~9.5k with them. Often other knights like to target green bunny swordie looking knight with low hp >_<
Posted Image
About Shield Fortress - you must ask SonicTMP, i dont have it. I have only useless, but fun skill - Aura Heal.
My current skill build:
Posted Image
I not recomend to use it - it pure for fun.

Edited by AlexaWhite, 25 June 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#5 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:09 AM

Fellow newbie knight here, just jobchanged into knight and im going somewhere along the line of hybrid...dps-ey...off-tank.
If you plan to go dps i think aura blade is a better choice too. Especially when aura armor makes you generate 3x more threat which you do not want as a DPS.. the tank in your party will hate you for it. :P
As far as stats goes I'm just pumping everything into agi and int to make use of battle tactics, mainly into int. As Alexa said swordsman gear has quite alot of str and vit in them already so..
I have similar opinion about aura shield, but shield fortress looks abit too good to pass for a knight imo, despite the cooldown.

#6 Haboob

Haboob

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBattlegrounds

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:17 AM

For dungeons/raids you wont need shield cannon or anything other than level 1 charge.

For Colosseum aura armor is superior to aura blade. But aura blade as DPS of course is superior in dungeons.

So your build comes down to some choices on what you want for certain aspects of the game. I would always choose shield aura/fortress over shield cannon for the superior utlity it brings me in Colosseum and in parties. In fact since getting those support skills my win ratio in Colosseum has vastly improved even. The only skill i would be on the fence would be shield charge it's decent but since bringing my SC down to level 1 i havent looked back. You can get kills by being smarter instead of chaining stuns so dont even worry about it.

With this.
http://www.ro2skills...dCrsqBrBaddBbs1

You can be a DPS + MT/OT all in one when needed and all you have to do is swap gear sets.

Edited by 6224130502210709307, 25 June 2013 - 05:17 AM.

#7 Sera

Sera

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4831 posts
  • Locationthis evil world
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:iRO Chaos

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:54 AM

Just going to add to the Armor vs. Blade thing. When you're in a raid/dungeon, and you went in as DPS, PLEASE turn off Armor. It doesn't matter if the bonuses are nice or w/e, a lot of tanks potion pull and having a third person with 3x aggro there (especially one spec'd for DPS) makes everything a lot harder on the tanks than it needs to be.

In a raid, don't try to be what you're not. :x

With this.
http://www.ro2skills...dCrsqBrBaddBbs1

You can be a DPS + MT/OT all in one when needed and all you have to do is swap gear sets.

It would probably be better to take the full buff (which affects the entire raid) and drop one point in Aura Shield. Aura Shield is nice, don't get me wrong, but I don't think the reduction has EVER prevented a death for me.

If you really are DPS focused though, Shield Cannon is nice to have imo, but as others said, not necessary.

#8 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:13 AM

I don't have Shield Cannon in my build. Not enough points.

#9 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:39 AM

*Door swings open* Everyone stand the frack back, I GOT THIS!

http://www.ro2base.c...310247.22310247 My Build for referance.

Firstly I beleive that Shield Fortress is a MUST for any knight build. It's a unique skill no one else has. Right now it's not used alot. There's no real need in normal but it does help alot in HARD PvE. Xenospider and Driller are the nasty ones with AoE damage though generally everything in PvE has a massive AoE. Decreasing raid damage is extremmely useful. Though you do not need it to get by. Everyone with good gear, sanct/deluge rotations and a couple spinels can get thru. Though wasting spinels sucks.

There is also the social stigma of a dps knight. So not having the iconic class skill is aganist you imo.

Aura armor: NO. If you are dps do not take this. Waste of points, you will cause too much threat in dps gear with it on. You don't need the buffs during a raid. Natural armor reduction is fine since we have shields. For PvP it's good. But stay away if you want to dps, you need the points elsewhere.

Shield Boomerang: You have this maxed and some in mastery in your dps linked build. Those points are better spent elsewhere. Shield Boom is slower animation than Bash, is only 2% damage better and only gives Aura when you proc mastery off a finisher (Cannon/Conce/Aura Stike.) For PvP is might be fun but in PvE it slows down your rotation. Avoid it except for pulling/tagging or throwing when you need to run aoud of the AoE.

Shield Cannon: We had a major dicussion over this in the knight/warrior AP thread. Shield Cannon IS a dps increase over AS. It's a small amount at base but once you start critting alot it pulls ahead untill you have a major amount of haste to edge AS over. The animation continues even if you are out of range so you can run in, use it and run right back out and all 3 hits will connect. For pure DPS I beleive it's a must. For a hybrid you can skip it if you wish.

Battle tatics and stat setup: This is the big thing for a DPS Knight. This is what let's us keep up and potentially beat some of the pure dps classes.
You need crit, alot of it. We don't have a ton of agi on our gear by default, so if you want this build to work you are going to need to sac some STR for int/agi.

Colo accessorys are required for this build. They should be the either the first things you get or get your sword first (ignore sheild for now) and then accessorys. You want the int/agi version.
With CoA comming out you can pick up acc from there, the stats will be a tad lower but int/agi ones are aviable in the raid.
Cards: Once you have the HP to live thru raids, trade out all your STC for Poisona. Garbong is a str based alternative but not as good imo. Soloman la Christ if you want blue cards.
CoA card set is Mini & Mongi green/blue + Band of Culvert green/blue. Bonus 4 card set = 18 int/agi 26 vit.
Title: best you got
Runes: All 7 slots MUST be Agi. You need all you can get.
Food: screw fin -_-tail or the sausage.
Stats: Personal choice. I'm running 41str/31agi/24int with no leftover points. Trading str for agi/int is recommended.

250int = 100% extra crit damage. Meaning you crit for 3x more damage. This is generally the a good rounded number to aim for int. Untill you get Card sets.

Pot buffs: Master agi buff/boost pots are the best to use at lower values imo. Once you get full CoA set with the 5% crit chance bonus you should be at like 33-35% crit chance ina raid with class buffs. At that point switch over to int buff/boost pots.

Wall of text but I covered all the major things I beleve. If you go back to the warrior/knight AP thread I have pics posted of my dps via the thread meter. We can stand toe to toe with the other classes in a tank and spank situation. I'm nearly positive I can beat a Ranger if we are both fully geared. I'm 2 peices of colo and a couple sword enchances away from being able to test this with my guilds ranger who is gear maxed already.

We are one of 3 classes (warrior/monk other) that benfit from all class stat buffs. Dragonlogy for extra int, out own str buff, agi and mark for more crit. You really can't go wrong no matter who's in the raid with you.

Just note if you want to do the best dps you need to fully commit to it. Hybriding can be useful but you'll be behind everyone else in damage. Personal choice there.

Edited by SonicTMP, 25 June 2013 - 10:43 AM.

#10 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've maxed out at 40% crit rate on my PvP Hybrid Knight. I still play the main tank role though, cause I don't want to take up a DPS slot that can be better used on other classes.

#11 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

Since sonicTMP sounded like the go-to guy for not-so-tanky knight, scuse me while i hijack this thread for abit.
This is what I plan to go for, courtesy to LuBu's MUSCLE guide for inspiration:
http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
I plan to stick to it but i am quite curious on how ridiculous it looks to others. Also this build was made with two-man party in mind, with a friend who's going for warrior.
This is how her build is going to be like:
http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
This should explain why i ditched battle order...ahem.
As far as playstyle goes, mine's F spam or just utilizing aura and mastery procs in general. Concentration is my Offense<>Defence switch. including Aura heal, this build is really reliant on mastery procs.
Warrior's involve conserving rage until its 100 while spamming bash, battle leap is there as a means of crowdcontrol/ escape mechanism depending on the situation.

I rolled alchemist while warrior rolled for blacksmith so my pots are prettymuch in charge of healing. Quite an offensive party if i may say so, then again my notion is that a dead mob is a harmless mob so..
EDIT: This is where i'm currently at: http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.6/0.0.0.0.0
Swordsman stage felt abit gimped with most points on agi and saving skillpoints for knight but it was well worth the trouble.

Edited by Yoruno, 25 June 2013 - 12:15 PM.

#12 AuroraSkye

AuroraSkye

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies! I really appreciate it. ^-^

SonicTMP: I started this char wanting DPS Knight, then got sidetracked/debated on Hybrid maybe? After reading your post, I definitely want DPS Knight all the way. Thank you especially for such a detailed post. I understand about skills and my skill build will be very close to your's. I'll lower Shield Boom to 1, as after talking with a few knights, that does make sense and get Shield Fortress. I don't see why you shouldn't get Shield Cannon, but this is my first time as a Knight, I'd like to max it as DPS.
On stats however, is 33str/33agi/32int better or do you think 11str/45agi/33int? (or something quite like that)? My little swordie already has 10str in, so nothing I can do about that.

Even the Int colo accessories are needed? I haven't got that far in my planning, but wow. And for the rest of your equipment, you would say Hit/Vigor/Haste sets?

#13 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:14 PM

@Yoruno - Max Bash. This is a bread and butter skill. Sheild boom procs require "Aura consumed" to activate. It is not a reliable method to generate Aura. Bash and Aura stike are a MUST to max as a Knight.

As for battle order, its totally fine not to max it since you have a warrior around to provide it.

I'd suggest moving points from shield boom/boom mastery into Bash and Aura shield. Aura shield will offset damage taken a bit since you're running concetration with aura armor. Only think is to beware when tanking raid bosses down the road. You'll either need to not use Conc or click it off when big attacks are comming.

@Aurora

Gear sets: You're going dps so of course you want hit/vigor/haste. Hit is good for any dps. Vigor will reduce Shield Cannon CD a few seconds. It's biggest help will be on Shield Fortress CD. Far as I know we do not get any benifit from haste. But there's been little to no testing in that field. If we do it's only a minor amount since bash and AS have fast animation times as is.

Stats: I think the 33/33/32 is the best. Don't go above 32 for int. Why? figure 250 int goal. Thats colo acc+founder title+5xpoisona card. VIP adds 5 to all stats, nice to have so you can figure that in if you want. But I'd figure without it personally.

Agi vs Str: We have a ton of str on our gear. So in theory you will gain more from the agi than str. In reality you will get 1% more crit for 44 AP loss. figure in raid buffs you should come out ahead. Though for bonus stats I personally don't beleive it's going to matter much with that bit of a differance. Espically since you need to focus runes on agi.

And yes the Int accessories are required for dps knight. Battle tatics is what makes us viable as dps. With CoA comming out you can get the acc from there. Since the stats all switch to either str/agi or int/agi. There are no int/agi accessories with tank stats on them. So its all hit/vig/haste. Colo just provide top of the line acc for the spec at this current point. They are cheap points wise and you won't need to fight priest/sorc/wiz for them.

#14 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:44 PM

thanks sonicTMP.
I'm used to toggling off buffs from previous mmorpgs so I'll manage with conc, probably. =x
I though about maxing bash intead of shield boomerang too, until i found out proc'd shield boomerang can proc both aura mastery and even shield mastery from time to time even at lvl 1 mastery... So i decided to go for more risk vs reward approach. But there's the possibility of just my bash procing it before i noticed and the whole thing was a misunderstanding..
That and i wanted to see if aura heal would work with shield boom's 3 hit on a 3 mob stack.

I couldnt find much info regarding the synergy between masteries and aura heal so... yeah. heading into the unknown. wish me luck lol.

#15 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:55 PM

May as well bump this thread since its not that old.
This was last nights kill on Mini&Mongi, wish i had taken a few more but its close enough to the end to work. AS with any dps pic I like to show, I NEVER USED PROVOKE. Just plain silly to use a pic and cheat when im trying to prove otherwise.

For referance, I was in full colo gear except helm and chest are HARD mode PvE. Ranger was in 100% colo gear. Assassin was in all colo gear except 1 accessory.

The 3 of us were pratically fighting for top dps. It was just a matter of who had the last big hit or crit string.
It will be interesting to see how a full set of CoA bonus works out.

Posted Image

#16 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 05:22 PM

Oh trust me. That CoA Critical-Bonus helps us [Battle Tactic]'ed swordsman more than it does any other class. Especially if you find yourself hitting the 250~500 INT range.

#17 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:32 PM

May as well bump this thread since its not that old.
This was last nights kill on Mini&Mongi, wish i had taken a few more but its close enough to the end to work. AS with any dps pic I like to show, I NEVER USED PROVOKE. Just plain silly to use a pic and cheat when im trying to prove otherwise.

For referance, I was in full colo gear except helm and chest are HARD mode PvE. Ranger was in 100% colo gear. Assassin was in all colo gear except 1 accessory.

The 3 of us were pratically fighting for top dps. It was just a matter of who had the last big hit or crit string.
It will be interesting to see how a full set of CoA bonus works out.

Posted Image

Awesome, thx for posting your IGN, now I know who to look out for in-game.

#18 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:14 PM

You missed it when I posted previous pics? Your troll-fu is weak.

#19 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:39 PM

Why do I get the feeling that DPS knights is going to become a new trend around here?

#20 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

You missed it when I posted previous pics? Your troll-fu is weak.

Meh, I must've missed it. I don't spend that much time on the forums anymore.
But yeah, keep tellin' 'em how great DPS Knights are. It's amusing. I'll just sit back and watch.
Call me a troll or whatever if u want, I won't even be mad. After all, it's good entertainment value.

#21 Shouichirou

Shouichirou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationProbably at work.
  • Server:Odin Ch.5/7/11 (RO2)

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:07 PM

Why do I get the feeling that DPS knights is going to become a new trend around here?

BT was the recent trend. Should have seen the amount of people that laughed at swordsman back then when they wanted to stack INT. Although, I'm glad BT finally made it to the (nearly if not) "must get" tier when it comes to swordsman skills.

#22 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

Jelly to the end.

#23 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:26 PM

Jelly to the end.

lolz this guy. This is what I'm talking about, entertainment value.

#24 Haboob

Haboob

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • LocationBattlegrounds

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:02 AM

A Knight can't DPS? Since you said so? Look at class skill trees and notice the hodge podge of skills you can choose for aspects of the game. Classes arent so cut and dry as you might think.

#25 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:27 AM

BT was the recent trend. Should have seen the amount of people that laughed at swordsman back then when they wanted to stack INT. Although, I'm glad BT finally made it to the (nearly if not) "must get" tier when it comes to swordsman skills.

To be honest, I personally think even pure tanks would benifit from BT since by end game you'd have enough agi and int lying around to make some difference in the threat gain coupling with 3x threat gain from aura armor. I might be wrong though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users