7 replies to this topic

#1 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2013 - 05:12 AM

With WoE coming up in a few weeks time, I'll be keeping a very close eye out on this and seeing what the general population thinks about stuns/slows/roots and whether this skill is going to be mandatory or not.
Currently, if they don't balance stuns/slows/roots and leave it as it is and open WoE, melee are going to cry rivers of blood.
I'm guessing there will be a balancing mechanism introduced that will give resistance to CCs (stuns/slows/roots).
If such a mechanism is introduced, then getting high levels of this skill might not be as "necessary" as it seems.

I've been thinking - there are 3 main types of CCs in this game: stun (or knockdown)/slow/root. Which is worth using Recovery on? Keeping in mind Recovery has 1 second cast time.

Stun (& knockdown) - generally lasts 3 seconds, by the time you react 1 second is gone already, spend 1 more second casting, essentially taking 1 second of stun away. Not worth removing in my opinion.

Slow (eg. Sorc's Cold bolt) - generally 5-6 seconds but can be applied repeatedly. Even if you remove it, they'll just reapply it again, so I don't think it's worth removing. I'd say it's up to the melee to use gap closers or their own stuns/slows to counter this.

Root (eg. Ankle Snare) - can last 10 seconds, Rangers cannot spam this, they have a 30 second cooldown. THIS is worth removing, otherwise the poor melee being unable to move will most likely die in 10 seconds unless they blow some sort of defensive cooldown. Ankle snare can only hit 1 target at a time.

So out of these 3 types of CCs, only root has the greatest impact and MUST be removed. Which do you get hit with the most in PVP though? The other two...stuns and slows.
So how does this justify getting level 5 Recovery? What's your thoughts?

#2 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 08:32 AM

Using Recovery in WoE is a daunting task and very often when you will use it, you are quickly put into a situation of damned if you do, damned if you don't. The level of recovery used determines how you will be using it, and on top of it, how your opponents play WILL dictate your use of recovery. In the beginning, you will have to understand the habits of your opponent(s) and use recovery accordingly. Once you know how your opponent operates, it starts a game of who is going to start it. Recovery is a tactical skill in which proper use would not only save your team, but it will make opponent's second-guess the use of their tactical skills too.

Lv. 1 - Only if you need to progress to learn more "important" skills
Lv. 3 - Generally the "sweet" spot
Lv. 5 - If you're looking to start and be involved in "big" battles

#3 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:21 AM

In my opinion all Tank classes should have built in crowd control mitigation. Whether this comes on defensive gears, or is built in to their kit, it's something that frustrates and baffles me. Why would a class specialized in survival and taking a beating be affected by stuns/roots/slows/knockdowns the same as backline classes and dps classes?

#4 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

In my opinion all Tank classes should have built in crowd control mitigation. Whether this comes on defensive gears, or is built in to their kit, it's something that frustrates and baffles me. Why would a class specialized in survival and taking a beating be affected by stuns/roots/slows/knockdowns the same as backline classes and dps classes?

It's their "defence" that makes up for it.

#5 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:21 AM

It's their "defence" that makes up for it.

They already have defense at the cost of attack.
Under normal circumstances only a few people will ever take damage with the exception of special boss attacks.
It would make sense that "full defense" classes would be able to be less impacted by CC.

#6 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 10:49 AM

My guess is as good as yours, but if you look at SEA and Korea, there will be runes. Preferably, I would like it if your stat build had an effect on it.

#7 SolidJelly

SolidJelly

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 26 June 2013 - 02:34 PM

But as the scenario I described above, I just can't find any use for lv 5 Recovery though. As I said, stuns/knockdowns last 3 sec only, and Sorcs can reapply Cold Bolt slow effect with no cooldown. Also, not many people step into ankle snare, considering that they're visible...

#8 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

Lv 5 Recovery is meant to deal with chain stunning. There is literally no point to recovery if your opponents come to you one enemy at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users