DPS Knight vs DPS Warrior: What does each bring to the table? - Swordman - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

DPS Knight vs DPS Warrior: What does each bring to the table?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 27 June 2013 - 01:22 AM

Topic title says it it TL;DR.

I'm thinking of rolling a Swordy alt and am torn between going full DPS Knight or Warrior. I've never played a melee class in an MMO before so even after looking at skill builds for both I honestly have no idea what each does DPS-wise. All I know is I'm not particularly interested in tanking, and manly guides like Lubus make me want to crit someone into the middle of the next raid lock out.

So what exactly do each of those classes bring both utility and damage wise that the other doesn't? Any big pro/cons? Or are they just 'Rogue in plate/Different Rogue in plate'.

Thanks!

#2 AlexaWhite

AlexaWhite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

http://forums.warppo...theorycrafting/

Take his methodology and make dps calculation for knight and warrior. After u can choose. All equipment exacly same, but differs in weapon. Warriors have slightly more ATK on them, Knights have much more def on them.
I cant say clearly who is OP. But in general - because warrior w/o defender is not warrior - they have same ATK, but differs in "coombo point"-mechanics. And Shield Cannon crits more often, but crit of Rage Strike more awesome and have some AoE.

#3 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

Your only reason to go DPS Knight is to take advantage of the vigor for Shield Fortress (over time you can drop the cd to a level that is quite advantageous).

#4 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

From a newbie's perspective, knight's damage comes from combos and pulling off as much aura strike as possible while warrior relies more on single harder hits.
I'm currently rolling knight with 3/3 aura mastery and sometimes id aura strike 2-3 times under one aura cycle cos of the aura mastery procs. With shield mastery (2/5 atm) I find myself hitting F as much as 1-9 hotkeys. Not really sure about warrior since i havent played it but warrior does have lower cooldown on their offensive skills.

As far as main difference goes imo, knight for their shield fortress and aura mastery, warrior for their rage strike and defender.

#5 Bronx

Bronx

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 27 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

Your only reason to go DPS Knight is to take advantage of the vigor for Shield Fortress (over time you can drop the cd to a level that is quite advantageous).

Yea I'm sure that's it. People don't build offensive knights because they want the challenge of trying to maximize the damage potential of a tank class, or anything like that. They don't go all in on the offensive spec to, you know, hit harder in PvP. They do it so they can be meat shields that can cast meat shield skills with lower cooldowns. Yes, exactly.

#6 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:46 AM

I've always liked the idea of a sword and board dps. Few if any games allow you to do such a thing. The guy with the shield is always seen as the tank. You can do it here since its simply based on stats and the AP loss can be made up for .

As for mechanics. DPS Knight plays like a ret pally from WoW. It's a simple rotation but it is a bit twitchy needing to watch for Mastery Procs and keeping Concentration up. As said Shield fortress is huge utility and great to have on a lower timer. I have 16.53% vigor atm. That will jump to abuot 26% with the CoA set bonus. If you use it during a guardian you can resue it in less than a minute.

DPS Warriors I don't have much experiance playing nor do we have a vocal dps player. Idealy they gear the same way. Berserk will push them ahead on AP but it's only 30 seconds every minute. So you'll need to time Rage Strike to get the most out of it. Burst is a warrior's area and sinec rage stike is only 1 hit you get BIG NUMBERS! While sheild cannon has 3 hits so it has to trippe crit to come close. Warrior also has better mobility with leap and much better AoE, more so since I beleive they gain rage while do it. Knights get no aura when AoEing. And of course a much better self heal.

tl:dr -
Knights offers more defensive group utility, great base damage reduction with sheild and a high constant dps output.
Warrior offers better AoE damage, Burst dps output and better self-healing to counter lack of defender.

#7 Chocs

Chocs

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 566 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:28 PM

[...] more so since I beleive they gain rage while do it. Knights get no aura when AoEing.

Warriors don't, sadly D:

#8 SonicTMP

SonicTMP

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • LocationAlone in the dishwasher

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:30 PM

I stand corrected.

#9 ExeltusPendragon

ExeltusPendragon

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 387 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

Thanks for all the info guys, though it definitly isn't making my decision any easier! They both sound awesome ;A;

#10 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:34 AM

Warriors don't, sadly D:

In fact, If you count knight's shield boomerang as an AoE (seeing as it does hit up to 3 mobs in a 1?m radius) then it is knights that gets an aoe and gains aura while at it, assuming he triggered shield boomerang mastery.

#11 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:03 AM

In fact, If you count knight's shield boomerang as an AoE (seeing as it does hit up to 3 mobs in a 1?m radius) then it is knights that gets an aoe and gains aura while at it, assuming he triggered shield boomerang mastery.

I wouldn't even dare depend on Shield Boomerang for an aura. Going for that build is basically impractical. Even if it did get triggered through the lv 1 shield mastery, it would still be useless throw a shield unless you plan to hit 3 mobs.

#12 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

I wouldn't even dare depend on Shield Boomerang for an aura. Going for that build is basically impractical. Even if it did get triggered through the lv 1 shield mastery, it would still be useless throw a shield unless you plan to hit 3 mobs.

http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
This happens to be the kind of build im going for. Feel free to pass out from sheer impracticality. :P

#13 Jargous

Jargous

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

You can try it, but from past experience, it ain't so great. It will have its uses for WoE, but as of now, it won't bring much.

#14 AlexaWhite

AlexaWhite

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:57 AM

http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
This happens to be the kind of build im going for. Feel free to pass out from sheer impracticality. :P

I think you must do some tweek your dps-like build, like that http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
Because Aura Heal now useless.
Because Bash - one of your primary DPS skills.
Because Aura Armor make angree every tank in party.
I droped 1 point from boomerang because Canon do more damage on every point u invested. It must have for dps-spec.
And there is dilema. More often mastery trigger or add +2% atk to boomerang. Because long animation of boomerang - it dps loss. But in combat with 2-3 enemies it give boost.
I have magnum break 3 lvl. And it very usefull and awesome skill. It can crit and do very nice damage.

Edited by AlexaWhite, 28 June 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#15 Yoruno

Yoruno

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:46 AM

I think you must do some tweek your dps-like build, like that http://www.ro2base.c...310723.22310723
I have magnum break 3 lvl. And it very usefull and awesome skill. It can crit and do very nice damage.

Sound points. Though here's my thought process:
Aura heal, despite how gimped it is, is still a heal. I noticed how fast 30secs passed by in a fight thanks to shield bash so I dont think 20sec cd is that bad. Plus considering how the build is quite offensive, if i could dish out enough damage to heal 10% of the damage taken over 20 secs then that is not losing to 3/5 aura shield for an offensive knight.
I am still torn on bash and shield boomerang, so I'm waiting to max shield boom mastery to see how often i trigger shield and aura masteries. Depending on the frequency I'll be dropping points on whichever is being use more frequently. By default its definitely bash, but I cant be so sure considering that I dont know if proc'd shield mastery can proc another shield/aura mastery from it's aura gain. Heck I'm even thinking of taking some points off shield charge to get 5/5 and 3/5 each or even 4/5 on both.
I seem to have confused you with the build, but I'm supposed to be an off tank despite how extremely offensive it looks =x. The build was made with a BT oriented warrior (my friend) as partner in mind so yeah.. aura armor to tank. Though when there's a better tank in public parties i switch to my gimped aura blade instead.
As for why im not rolling a full tank instead, my notion is that a dead mob is a harmless mob.
Because Shield cannon is a skill that cant be spammed and that it functions perfectly even at 1/5, I decided to save the points for something else and rely on concentration for damage.
Shield boomerang is... how do i say it.. It's quite a handy all-in-one skill. It's like a gimped magnum with long cooldown, but with points in mastery it turns into an ok ranged magnum+bash that comes with slow CC. It's the aura gain + aoe part and showing up on F that had me interested, not a big fan of cluttered hotkeys. This leads me back to the bash/ boomerang decision.. personally I dont mind the dps loss from long animation, it gives me time to think alittle longer before pressing the next hotkey.

All in all, I'm ready to farm for that 1kz for reset scroll once i hit level 50 and is certain that I messed up big time lol. Thanks though, this gives me more things to consider in building my knight.

Edited by Yoruno, 28 June 2013 - 05:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users