Video / Graphic Issues - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Video / Graphic Issues

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos when no Time Gaps

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

I've sent in a ticket on this, but of course I haven't gotten a reply, & nothing has been done.

For quite some time now the graphics, become corrupt, after having been logged in, for a period of time, vending and/or just being afk. I mainly noticed this in Eden since this is where I vend but I left a character, on last night in Izlude, & the same thing happened.

I have a high end graphics card, so that's not the issue, & I keep my drivers up to date. I seriously doubt that I am the only one experiencing this issue.

This really needs to be fixed.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

What do you mean by become corrupt?

Do you mean the thing where the colors get inverted? 

Or the thing where textures get interchanged so, for example, a roof appears tiled with heads, roads paved with the leaves of trees, etc?

Or the thing where transparent effects have black splotches in them? 

Or something else?

#3 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

It's hard to explain. There will be like blocks of different colors. The chat window will get larger & only partially show up. Sometimes there will be random shooting line, going from top to bottom, at an angel to the right. Normally these are black in color.

I finally got a reply to my ticket but it wasn't of any help.

We have attempted to see if this issue could be recreated on our end. Unfortunately, we were unable to do so. Some possible solutions are to check and see if your video card drivers are up to date. If the issue seems to continue, are you fully patched with both Classic & Renewal servers?

If the issue continues, please submit a dxdiag report and we can further look into why this issue is occurring.

As I said above my drivers are up to date & this has been going on for some time now.

I always run both patches after maintenance.

I can send them the dxdiag but I don't expect that will do any good.

I'll try to take a screen shot next time it happens.

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Please post the screenshot so we can see what it looks like. 

My guess is garbage drivers (I've seen some graphics cards that get artifacts on RO, particularly cases where pixels that should be partially transparent are instead pitch black. This was mostly a problem with crapola embedded graphics cards though)  or overheating graphics card. 

You can get some crazy effects if your graphics card is overheating (all the times that i've seen the texture-exchange state have been in a laptop computer on the edge of overheating). 

Edited by DrAzzy, 10 July 2013 - 06:57 AM.

#5 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

I'm using an NVIDIA GeForce GTX465 1MB. It shouldn't have anything to do with the drivers, even though I know I have had problems with certain versions of their drivers, in the past, since this has been happening with multiple driver updates & versions.

The temp is only at about 65 degrees Cecilius.

#6 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Just now happened so here are screen shots from three different clients I have currently running. Checked the Card temp & it's below 60 degrees.

I apologize for taking up so much space. I don't know how to do spoilers.

screenChaos022_zps6d17ee06.jpg

screenChaos024_zpscf8e52aa.jpg

screenChaos021_zps5099aa0b.jpg

#7 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

That looks like the same kind of texture-exchange graphics glitch I was talking about. 

All I know is what I said - that I've only ever seen it where it could be attributed to an overheated graphics card.

#8 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

Weird since my graphics card isn't overheated. You saw my temps. Could that mean my graphics card is defective? I've also been running it OC'd, since before playing RO, but these graphic errors just started happening within the past couple of months or so.

BTW how are Spoilers done?

Edited by Razzez, 11 July 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#9 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:39 PM

Umm.. Razzez 65 C is way too hot. That is 149 Fahrenheit.

#10 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Just put [ spoiler] in brackets and put [ /spoiler] after that, no spaces. 

#11 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

It's actually running about 60 degrees or below every time I keep checking it now. I'm surprised that's too hot though, since the default Temp Protection Setting, is 95 degrees. This is using EVGA's own OC Scanner.

Just put [ spoiler] in brackets and put [ /spoiler] after that, no spaces. 

Thanks. So paste the img link there instead. Just like a quote.

#12 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

It depends where the thermometer is. Alot of the time they aren't on top of or next to the video card to the are only getting heat radiated from a distance. It really looks like a video card is dying slowly from heat issues in your screenshot. https://en.wikipedia...omputer_cooling

#13 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

I increased my fan speed & that brought the temp down to below 50 degrees now. What is the actual max temp supposed to be of a GPU? I know the CPU's max temp is about 70 degrees.

I understand how cooling works.

http://www.geforce.c.../product-images

Edited by Razzez, 11 July 2013 - 06:56 PM.

#14 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

I increased my fan speed & that brought the temp down to below 50 degrees now. What is the actual max temp supposed to be of a GPU? I know the CPU's max temp is about 70 degrees.
I understand how cooling works.

Check the technical specifications for your GPU on its manufacturer's web site.

#15 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 PM

I guess not since it's only a little over 50% of the max temp. That explains why the protection setting is set at 95 degrees.

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C)
105 C

Edited by Razzez, 11 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#16 Rate

Rate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:bad news

Posted 11 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Is this a ro only problem, or is it happening in other games..? There are tons of reasons -_- can go wrong, skipping troubleshooting steps and not posting enough information wont fix your problem. It could be something simple to fix.

#17 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:51 PM

I wouldn't be saying anything, & have sent in a ticket, if this wasn't ONLY occurring with RO. Maybe you didn't read all my posts. I don't know what other information I can provide that's relevant. Assuming I didn't already troubleshoot this before posting it, & sending in a ticket, is a mistake on your part. RMA'ing the video card & getting a new one may fix the problem. Other then that I don't know what you suggest, or think, would be a simple fix.

#18 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Well, all we can say is that that behavior "looks" like a dying/overheated video card, and that none of us have ever seen it caused by anything else. 

CPU/GPU temperature specs are temperature on-die, while the thermometers used (thermistors, because they're cheap) are almost never on-die (as on-die temperature sensors have accuracy problems). So the numbers reported by the temperature sensors are not comparable to the numbers on die - they're only useful as a rough idea, and for comparison of different configurations with the same card. The temperature sensors on low-end consumer grade desktop parts are particularly shoddy; overheating is very rarely a problem (unlike for laptops) - so they cut corners even more than usual to help keep the cost down(*). 

Have you tried running a GPU stress test or benchmark (run it on loop for a while - just like with RO, I wouldn't expect it to manifest immediately)? This could confirm our suspicions about your graphics card.

(*) It is astonishing how cost conscious that market segment is - anything that could possibly be cut from the product will be (including, at least in the case of Acer (sort of the king of low cost), the manufacturer's profit margins). Build quality, testing, drivers (if applicable), packaging, documentation all get short shrift. The consumers in this market segment would buy a laptop with a case made from pressed cow pies instead of plastic if they'd save enough money for a cup of coffee - and then every other low end manufacturer would rush in with cow-pie composite laptops, and suddenly the "good old plastic" ones would become hard to find. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 12 July 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#19 Razzez

Razzez

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationUSA, Texas

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

Well, all we can say is that that behavior "looks" like a dying/overheated video card, and that none of us have ever seen it caused by anything else. 

CPU/GPU temperature specs are temperature on-die, while the thermometers used (thermistors, because they're cheap) are almost never on-die (as on-die temperature sensors have accuracy problems). So the numbers reported by the temperature sensors are not comparable to the numbers on die - they're only useful as a rough idea, and for comparison of different configurations with the same card. The temperature sensors on low-end consumer grade desktop parts are particularly shoddy; overheating is very rarely a problem (unlike for laptops) - so they cut corners even more than usual to help keep the cost down(*). 

Have you tried running a GPU stress test or benchmark (run it on loop for a while - just like with RO, I wouldn't expect it to manifest immediately)? This could confirm our suspicions about your graphics card.

(*) It is astonishing how cost conscious that market segment is - anything that could possibly be cut from the product will be (including, at least in the case of Acer (sort of the king of low cost), the manufacturer's profit margins). Build quality, testing, drivers (if applicable), packaging, documentation all get short shrift. The consumers in this market segment would buy a laptop with a case made from pressed cow pies instead of plastic if they'd save enough money for a cup of coffee - and then every other low end manufacturer would rush in with cow-pie composite laptops, and suddenly the "good old plastic" ones would become hard to find. 

I'm thinking the same thing which is why I sent in a request for an RMA.

I ran a benchmark, when I originally set up the OC'ing, but I haven't ran it since this problem started

From being, in Electronic Sales also, for as many year as I was, I know what you mean, about the cheap components, that can easily burn up & go bad.

*Edit* Should I run the benchmark this time, while RO & Firefox are open, or close everything, as I had originally done?

Edited by Razzez, 12 July 2013 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users