Tetrarok: In-game Card Game - Feedback & Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Tetrarok: In-game Card Game

21 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

Inspired by my other proposal thread, I've gone and did some mock-ups of what a simple yet complex in-game card game would be like. With that, I present to you...

TETRAROK (alternative names include Ragna Master, RagnaTetra, Ragnarok Tetra; what do you guys think?)

Upon opening your Card Album, you'll be presented with a third tab.

KzFzhc9.jpg

Here, you can view your TETRAROK cards and compile your own deck (min. 10 cards, max. 16 cards). Each of your character can only have one deck, so if you want to make multiple decks, make multiple characters!

But how to get TETRAROK cards?

You can only get TETRAROK cards by converting whatever cards you get from monster drops and by buying them (more on this later). Simply head to the nearest Card Master NPC and purchase a Tetra Converter item. Open your card album storage and apply the Tetra Converter to a card. Once you convert a card into a TETRAROK card, you cannot change it back so there will be a prompt that will ask if you're sure you want to convert a particular card.

NOTE: TETRAROK cards are NOT the same as regular cards. They cannot be equipped onto your character as they will lose their stat bonuses once they're converted.

When you convert a card into a TETRAROK card, numbers will be added onto the card. These numbers are based on the card's stat numbers and the order they're arranged on the card is random. (Cards that have less than 4 numbers will have zeroes fill in the rest.)

NrjtRbK.jpg

Okay, I have cards, but how do I play TETRAROK?

You can either challenge another player or you can play against a non-vendor NPC! Playing against a NPC will net you a free but very good TETRAROK card for your collection if you win. With this in mind, NPC AI should be VERY good in order to win these cards. (We can only hope from Gravity...)

When you challenge another player or NPC, a special window will pop up upon acceptance from both parties. This will be your game board. Each player then "rolls" a dice (via a button) and the person who rolls the higher number goes first. Each player has 1 minute to make a move before the system makes a move for you (to prevent griefing by challenging another player and AFKing the game).

plfBDzK.jpg

TETRAROK is a simple domination card game. The 4 numbers on each card point to a certain direction in which you can challenge a card. You can put a card anywhere on the grid. A bottom menu (not shown) will display 5 cards from your deck. Each player draws a card from their deck with each turn.

87z1S3J.jpg

See how your opponent now dominates your card (indicated by a blue highlight)? That's because the southern number on your card is less than the northern number on the opponent's card. If the opponent placed his card to the right of yours, you would've dominated his card.

CWMiWtE.jpg

Now you retaliate by placing a good card on the right of the opponent. Now you dominate his card (indicated by a yellow highlight), but he still dominates your last one.

neUgsd9.jpg

Uh oh, now he's dominated your latest card, giving him the lead with 3 dominated cards.

rraOy86.jpg

But wait! You have better card up your sleeve and use it to gain back your card, giving you the lead with 4 dominated cards!

And so on and so forth, you and your opponent take turns putting down cards until the entire 16-square grid is filled. The game then tallies how many cards you and your opponent dominated and the winner is the one who dominates the most cards.

The winner receives Tetra Points and EXP (yes, you can level by playing TETRAROK)!

In terms of Tetra Points, I wanted to make it so everyone gets something. EXP would be a bonus.

• Winner: 100% Tetra Points, 100% EXP
  • Tie: 50% Tetra Points, 25% EXP
  • Loser: 50% Tetra Points, 0% EXP
As for the items you can redeem from the Card Master with Tetra Points:
  • Booster Pack (3 random TETRAROK cards)
  • TETRAROK Novice (Khara Title, Must win 1 challenge to use)
  • TETRAROK Amateur (Khara Title, Must win 10 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Expert (Khara Title, Must win 50 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Master (Khara Title, Must win 100 challenges to use)
  • Card in Mouth (lower headgear, vanity costume, no stats, no slots)
The Khara titles would be comparable to the crafting titles. As for actual item prices, I haven't really determined what the prices are as I'm still trying to figure out how much Tetra Points you would win from challenges.

I've been bouncing around the idea of each player generating their own kind of TETRAROK card and using that as a reward for winning against another player. They could go to a Card Master and customize their own player card with randomly generated numbers and then that card can be used as a reward card for when another player beats them. Then players can fill their TETRAROK tab in their album with player cards and show off which players they've defeated.

CarlosCard.png

Edited by ZeroTigress, 25 July 2013 - 12:25 AM.

#2 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin, Channels 1-5

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:03 AM

The winner receives Tetra Points and EXP (yes, you can level by playing TETRAROK)! In the event of a tie, the winner only gets half the amount of Tetra Points he would've gotten if he had won and 1/4 the amount of EXP that could've been earned. Tetra Points can be redeemed at the nearest Card Master NPC to buy booster packs (3 random TETRAROK cards), special Khara titles, or a permanent Card in Mouth costume (no stats or slots) lower headgear. The loser (player) receives half the amount of Tetra Points the winner gets and absolutely no EXP.

That part confused me, since you mentioned tie, and winner, in the same sentence. :p_conf:

Wouldn't they get half the Tetra Points each in the case of a tie? So, say 100 total per game could be won for the winner, 50 each would go to both players in a tie, zero to the loser. Or, 75 to winner, 25 to loser. Same for EXP given. Could be a reasonable amount, and divided based on if you win or not. I think both players should at least get something, win, or lose, so the 50% amount per tie, 75% per win, 25% per lose seems reasonable.

Personally, I think the version in FFIX was my favorite. It was one of my more favorite PS1 games, next to The Legend Of Dragoon, of course.

Point if mentioning that was the combo system (corners had arrows for combos). It was interesting to be able to take more cards at once. In the case of this game, you could probably take a max of 8 at once if you have an all-direction card, anyway. :p_laugh: But of course, to combo, you had to be able to take a card with your card without losing to a surrounding card (because losing would cause another combo).

Your suggested system sounds more like FFVIII's system (even though your slot amount is more like FFIX, and you used the words "Tetra" and "Master"), which, if that's what you're going for, would be fine. Maybe we could incorporate elements into it, too? Even if they're not in the game for monsters, doesn't mean they can't be in cards. :p_laugh:

Still, genius suggestion! Bravo! RO has NEEDED a card game like this for a decade! :p_idea:

#3 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

FFIX's card game confused the heck out of me, I never really understood it even after reading the rules over a dozen times. FFVIII's card game was easier to figure out.

Anyways, in terms of Tetra Points, I wanted to make it so everyone gets something. EXP would be a bonus.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was in a rush and wanted to get the basics of my game down first before anything. As for the items you can redeem from the Card Master with Tetra Points:

• TETRAROK Amateur (Khara Title, Must win 10 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Expert (Khara Title, Must win 50 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Master (Khara Title, Must win 100 challenges to use)

The Khara titles would be comparable to the crafting titles. As for actual item prices, I haven't really determined what the prices are as I'm still trying to figure out how much Tetra Points you would win from challenges.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 15 July 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#4 Ryvian

Ryvian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • Server:Odin

Posted 15 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Reminds me of the FF8 card game.

#5 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

This feels exactly like FF8. Not that I would mind, I loved playing the card game more than the actual game lol.

#6 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

FFIX's card game confused the heck out of me, I never really understood it even after reading the rules over a dozen times. FFVIII's card game was easier to figure out.

Anyways, in terms of Tetra Points, I wanted to make it so everyone gets something. EXP would be a bonus.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. I was in a rush and wanted to get the basics of my game down first before anything. As for the items you can redeem from the Card Master with Tetra Points:

• TETRAROK Amateur (Khara Title, Must win 10 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Expert (Khara Title, Must win 50 challenges to use)
  • TETRAROK Master (Khara Title, Must win 100 challenges to use)

I was obsessed with the card games in both FFVIII and FFIX. They were fun and enjoyable. I actually pretty much only play FFIX at the moment just when I wanna play the card game. I haven't played it much in FFVIII recently, though.

It might be nice to have a limit of 5 cards in the hand, plus only 9 on the map. Random selection of who goes first based on some form of random number generator. Also, allowing the winner to take one of the loser's cards would be an interesting add-on to this.

As for the Khara Titles, I would recommend changing it to an additive system, meaning you have to have an actual win ratio of 100 wins. So, if you've played 1000 games, and lost 900, but won 100, you shouldn't get the title of Master. You should actually have 100 standing wins before getting the title.

I agree on statting them to be comparable (bit better, since this actually sounds harder than gathering and crafting materials, though) to the crafting titles, though.

I still say 100 (or 10, or 1000) tetra points would be reasonable, since you're going on a percentage system, it sounds like it would be an easy number to manage.

Good luck, though. Seriously, I'd love to see this. :p_laugh:

I could totally see any one of the buyable items making references to a certain card-playing anime... "It's time to d-d-d-duel!"

We already have a turtle making a Pokemon reference in this game. :p_laugh:

Also, other than having battles/duels with the cards, it would be nice to be able to trade them through a separate trading system, specifically meant for trading cards, trading cards for cards, not for currency, as they seriously shouldn't be on AH in my opinion. :p_err:

#7 Ryvian

Ryvian

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

Losing my GF cards to NPCs was brutal. I hated that, if losing meant losing my Tau Rin Normal+ or something, I'd strangle a *****.

#8 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:21 PM

It might be nice to have a limit of 5 cards in the hand, plus only 9 on the map. Random selection of who goes first based on some form of random number generator. Also, allowing the winner to take one of the loser's cards would be an interesting add-on to this.

Now that I think about it, letting players have access to any card in their deck is pretty OP. A 5-card hand would make things more balanced.

Random selection of who goes first based on some form of random number generator.

I'm actually re-evaluating who goes first since having the person who initiates the challenge go first is somewhat unfair. I'm thinking of having each player roll a dice and higher number goes first (reference to the /dice emote in RO1).

Also, allowing the winner to take one of the loser's cards would be an interesting add-on to this.

I did consider having the winner take a card from the loser as a prize, but seeing as how people are upset at losing BP in WoE, I decided against that. (It was also the reason why I didn't play the card game in FFVIII very much 'cause I love collecting the cards and hated the idea of losing them.) However, I have noted you can win cards from NPCs so it's not completely overlooked.

As for the Khara Titles, I would recommend changing it to an additive system, meaning you have to have an actual win ratio of 100 wins. So, if you've played 1000 games, and lost 900, but won 100, you shouldn't get the title of Master. You should actually have 100 standing wins before getting the title.

Getting people to play the card game with you is challenging enough, I don't want the Khara titles to be impossible. 100 wins is 100 wins, regardless of how many times you lost or tied in getting those wins.

Edited by ZeroTigress, 15 July 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#9 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 03:40 AM

I'm actually re-evaluating who goes first since having the person who initiates the challenge go first is somewhat unfair. I'm thinking of having each player roll a dice and higher number goes first (reference to the /dice emote in RO1).

I did consider having the winner take a card from the loser as a prize, but seeing as how people are upset at losing BP in WoE, I decided against that. (It was also the reason why I didn't play the card game in FFVIII very much 'cause I love collecting the cards and hated the idea of losing them.) However, I have noted you can win cards from NPCs so it's not completely overlooked.

Getting people to play the card game with you is challenging enough, I don't want the Khara titles to be impossible. 100 wins is 100 wins, regardless of how many times you lost or tied in getting those wins.

Well when you consider that people complained about any event involving the /dice emote because players could write scripts/use programs to force a certain number to roll every time, if such a thing is possible in RO2 (let's face it, people bypass Hackshield all the time with harmful stuff, so the stuff that causes little to no harm is likely to get by, too), then it'll probably happen like it did in RO1.

There are reasons for the BP loss, though, which I theorize are based around farming yourself using 2 computers and an alt account, or farming a friend (which, both would be possible with a gain without loss). Due to BP in this game, people don't want a loss, but WANT a gain. What's the point in participating if you don't get a BP loss/gain, unless there's a different currency involved which allows rewards? What's the point in gain if you can never lose? It doesn't seem like any fun, really. Even if you lose, if you're not really losing something you already have, then what fun is it? It makes it more challenging, and fun (even a little frustrating, but not severely so) when you actually have to risk things to win. You could lose significantly, or have a significant gain when you when. The same is true for both this game you've suggested and WoE. Fact is, if people are losing Exp and Tetra points they didn't have to begin with, it's something easily shrugged off. If you lose something (like a card, or in the case of WoE, BP), it's going to cause competition and a bit of rivalry, and the desire to try for rematches to try to get the card back. You may lose more cards in the process, but you could gain some, too.

Fair enough, since this is already harder to earn than crafting titles anyway. :p_laugh:

#10 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

There are reasons for the BP loss, though, which I theorize are based around farming yourself using 2 computers and an alt account, or farming a friend (which, both would be possible with a gain without loss). Due to BP in this game, people don't want a loss, but WANT a gain. What's the point in participating if you don't get a BP loss/gain, unless there's a different currency involved which allows rewards? What's the point in gain if you can never lose? It doesn't seem like any fun, really. Even if you lose, if you're not really losing something you already have, then what fun is it? It makes it more challenging, and fun (even a little frustrating, but not severely so) when you actually have to risk things to win. You could lose significantly, or have a significant gain when you when. The same is true for both this game you've suggested and WoE. Fact is, if people are losing Exp and Tetra points they didn't have to begin with, it's something easily shrugged off. If you lose something (like a card, or in the case of WoE, BP), it's going to cause competition and a bit of rivalry, and the desire to try for rematches to try to get the card back. You may lose more cards in the process, but you could gain some, too.

I'd rather not have a risk vs. reward factor for TETRAROK because it's supposed to be a fun minigame for players to partake in. Putting a risk for a simple minigame will simply cause people to not even play. I don't mind if PVP systems like WoE have a risk vs. reward factor because WoE is supposed to be intense and filled with drama. TETRAROK is not meant to be that intense, just something for people to do on the side.

However, I've been bouncing around the idea of each player generating their own kind of TETRAROK card and using that as a reward for winning against another player. They could go to a Card Master and customize their own player card with randomly generated numbers and then that card can be used as a reward card for when another player beats them. Then players can fill their TETRAROK tab in their album with player cards and show off which players they've defeated.

CarlosCard.png

#11 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

I'd rather not have a risk vs. reward factor for TETRAROK because it's supposed to be a fun minigame for players to partake in. Putting a risk for a simple minigame will simply cause people to not even play. I don't mind if PVP systems like WoE have a risk vs. reward factor because WoE is supposed to be intense and filled with drama. TETRAROK is not meant to be that intense, just something for people to do on the side.

However, I've been bouncing around the idea of each player generating their own kind of TETRAROK card and using that as a reward for winning against another player. They could go to a Card Master and customize their own player card with randomly generated numbers and then that card can be used as a reward card for when another player beats them. Then players can fill their TETRAROK tab in their album with player cards and show off which players they've defeated.

CarlosCard.png

That would work. :p_idea:

#12 FlavoredInk

FlavoredInk

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

This... would.... be.... awesome.... !  :ani_awsm:

Ex-SeeD would be absolutely fitting for this situation! I will entrust in the heart of the cards! LOL

#13 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

trust in the heart of the cards! LOL

Dat Yu-Gi-Oh! reference. :p_laugh:

#14 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

Gotta catch 'em all!

*sees hundreds of RO2 players with their own player cards*

... Maybe just a few...

#15 Hermand

Hermand

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:27 AM

Like!

This is something else to make people busy and have fun in-game. It's like people gather in a town and do this. lol

#16 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:57 PM

Shameless bump. Very shameless.

#17 jakman21

jakman21

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 06:52 AM

hmm...interesting card game.  I like it but getting cards from npc's seems a bit OP unless theres a finite pool of the types of cards you can get from them.

#18 NiaAdha

NiaAdha

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:56 AM

a decent idea. makes the card has more way of acquiring too!

the only part in FFIX card game that's confusing is it's combo.i meanm how the hell did it get combo all of the sudden?

and yes. FFVIII card game is pretty straight forward.

in case this is really happening, it really needs a clear guide!

p/s : come to think about it, mini in-games is a way to increase the value of this game.like peco race which you put your item on pinkslip.rope hop with weekly winner.hide and seek with pinkslip.not event.just mini games.put an NPC to manage it.game has been boring since the only way to acquire item is either cash or dungeon/farming.

idea never hurts.

#19 Amaretto718

Amaretto718

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNEW YORK CITY
  • Server:ODIN

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:32 AM

Reminds me of the FF8 card game.

Yea that game is called Triple Triad..Wont that be a copyright infringement?...plus that game was a pain in the butt to play on FF8

#20 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:41 PM

Yea that game is called Triple Triad..Wont that be a copyright infringement?...plus that game was a pain in the butt to play on FF8

Copyright infringement on the name, not the mechanic.

http://gamegix.com/tetravex/game

#21 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

*kick*

#22 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK