Everybody's Gettin' Scammed! - ROSE Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

- - - - -

Everybody's Gettin' Scammed!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
108 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

Between the forums and the GM ticket tool we have seen a ton of scam reports coming in lately.

I have put together a little guide with some of the most common tricks, how to avoid them, and why you shouldn't fall for them in the future.

Granted, most everyone on these forums is pretty savy about this kind of stuff, but I hope this guide proves helpful to some!

https://support.warp...ng-and-you.aspx

#2 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--
  • Playing:ROSE Online
  • Server:Leonis

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

Between the forums and the GM ticket tool we have seen a ton of scam reports coming in lately.

I have put together a little guide with some of the most common tricks, how to avoid them, and why you shouldn't fall for them in the future.

Granted, most everyone on these forums is pretty savy about this kind of stuff, but I hope this guide proves helpful to some!

I bet this topic will not be closed, :wacko:

#3 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

What do you mean?

It's not a thread calling anyone out for scamming naming specific names, it's just some friendly advice on how to avoid some of the things we've been seeing a lot of lately. ^_^

#4 shokwavez

shokwavez

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationOn the mat
  • Server:LEONIS

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

This should be pinned :wacko:

#5 Okibi

Okibi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 214 posts
  • LocationGeorgia - United States
  • Server:Dracon

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

*throws out her word document* Well that was time well wasted. XD I've been working on one since that locked thread. I'm glad to see that you guys made one though! :3

It might be worth adding to the *Let Me See That* section that items can be previewed from the trade window also. You don't have to complete the trade, just slap the item in so the person can look at it via ctrl+right lick. (if I remember correctly) I use that method quite often when I want to see something that a friend of mine has or vice-versa. :3

Edited by Okibi, 15 October 2011 - 10:55 AM.

#6 TankJr

TankJr

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2513 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:50 AM

i know an other way to scam people:

someone offers u an item (e.g. deathblow) for a cheap price

ofc u want the item cause its cheap, so ur trying to trade it fast

but, oh, the first trade was canceled, mhhh why, no idea, but its cheap, so lets trade again

and then!!! the other one put in an aruas necklace instead of deathblow

if u dont watch the item anymore, u get an item u dont want for overprice, instead of a cheap item u wanted

its just an idea by me how to scam someone :-)

#7 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:55 AM

That's actually a great way to scam someone Tank!

...um and by that I mean it's totally horrible and everyone should definitely NOT do it >_<

But yeah - if anyone else has their own cautionary tales, right here is a great place to share them!

Remember! NO CALLING ANYONE OUT OR MENTIONING SPECIFIC NAMES!

And sorry Okibi :-P

I should have posted this sooner. It was written like a week ago but I hadn't had the chance to share it until recently.

#8 Okibi

Okibi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:56 AM

i know an other way to scam people:

someone offers u an item (e.g. deathblow) for a cheap price

ofc u want the item cause its cheap, so ur trying to trade it fast

but, oh, the first trade was canceled, mhhh why, no idea, but its cheap, so lets trade again

and then!!! the other one put in an aruas necklace instead of deathblow

if u dont watch the item anymore, u get an item u dont want for overprice, instead of a cheap item u wanted

its just an idea by me how to scam someone :-)

Good point, but I would like to think that someone would actually look before completing a trade... you know... in a perfect world.

#9 Kaizy

Kaizy

Original Potatoe

• Members
  • 1110 posts
  • LocationPLAYING LEAGUE OF LEGENDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:cal'smom

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

Similar to what k4fu said, a shop advertising something like a deathblow for 100m, when it's really a hebarn earring and you buy it without checking but you were fooled because they have the same graphic.

Or when there's a shop selling something usually overpriced and another shop down the road buying that same item for a ridiculous price. Once you buy the item to resell and make a few bucks, the person is going to close the shop buying or will have their inventory full so you can't sell it to them.

Source: I'm a pro scammer.

Edited by Kaizy, 15 October 2011 - 12:17 PM.

#10 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:24 PM

Similar to what k4fu said, a shop advertising something like a deathblow for 100m, when it's really a hebarn earring and you buy it without checking but you were fooled because they have the same graphic.

Or when there's a shop selling something usually overpriced and another shop down the road buying that same item for a ridiculous price. Once you buy the item to resell and make a few bucks, the person is going to close the shop buying or will have their inventory full so you can't sell it to them.

Source: I'm a pro scammer.

Now that is a very nasty little scam we are all well aware of and Zep has already posted about it. If you see this happening, make sure to take detailed screenshots (just make sure the item names and character names) of both the buy and sell shops then submit a ticket to the GM team so they can investigate and take appropriate actions :wacko:

#11 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

...um and by that I mean it's totally horrible and everyone should definitely NOT do it >_<

But yeah - if anyone else has their own cautionary tales, right here is a great place to share them!

Remember! NO CALLING ANYONE OUT OR MENTIONING SPECIFIC NAMES!

And sorry Okibi :-P

I should have posted this sooner. It was written like a week ago but I hadn't had the chance to share it until recently.

Well i even posted a topic with screenshots all names marked black so no one could see of how to prevend such other scams.
but topic got closed, so i dont see the reason why this is not being closed :wacko:

#12 Kaizy

Kaizy

Original Potatoe

• Members
  • 1110 posts
  • LocationPLAYING LEAGUE OF LEGENDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSS
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:cal'smom

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Now that is a very nasty little scam we are all well aware of and Zep has already posted about it. If you see this happening, make sure to take detailed screenshots (just make sure the item names and character names) of both the buy and sell shops then submit a ticket to the GM team so they can investigate and take appropriate actions :wacko:

Ah, I haven't been reading the forums lately.

Should add something about crafting scams. People putting on dealer like items and parading as an artisan and offer to craft gems/cg/etc. Doesn't happen much nowadays since crafting is kind of deaddd. I would only trust people with crafting hammers since they're restricted to artisans.

And maybe something about not buying IM items that can only be gifted since you have a high chance of being scammed.

#13 Zurn

Zurn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 8468 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

Well i even posted a topic with screenshots all names marked black so no one could see of how to prevend such other scams.
but topic got closed, so i dont see the reason why this is not being closed :wacko:

This isn't calling anyone out it's a guide, god some people...

#14 Okibi

Okibi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:17 PM

The reason said topic was probably closed is because instead of submitting a ticket and letting the GMs sort the issue out; you made a thread about the problem for which topics are not supposed to be created.

The reason for this being is that these types of threads; while I am certain they start out with good intentions, is that they spiral into troll wars very quickly, and eventually a name is called out and they get off topic. Nothing is ever truly accomplished when these threads are created.

#15 Guest_Qilin_*

Guest_Qilin_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

Ah, I haven't been reading the forums lately.

Should add something about crafting scams. People putting on dealer like items and parading as an artisan and offer to craft gems/cg/etc. Doesn't happen much nowadays since crafting is kind of deaddd. I would only trust people with crafting hammers since they're restricted to artisans.

And maybe something about not buying IM items that can only be gifted since you have a high chance of being scammed.

This is perhaps the most common scam that can apply to all of our games, and we have repeatedly told users to avoid doing this >_<

But yeah, I think it deserves more emphasis: Don't ever engage in Item Mall "Gift" trades! They are unsecured and downright dangerous!

#16 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

This isn't calling anyone out it's a guide, god some people...

Ehm okay, i just want an answer lol because i made a similar topic and that was closed ,
because i had to submit a ticket, for no reason because it was a guide lol.

and i didnt say it was calling anyone out so i dunno why u say god some people...
thats what i can say about somethings , but i dont say that either :wacko:

Edited by djilano, 15 October 2011 - 01:40 PM.

#17 Zurn

Zurn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 8468 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

biggest thing with yours is you named people.

#18 PureCreativity

PureCreativity

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2164 posts
  • Location--

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

biggest thing with yours is you named people.

ah i c thats one but with another one i didnt and it was closed aswell.

#19 Zurn

Zurn

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 8468 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

ah i c thats one but with another one i didnt and it was closed aswell.

**WARNING**
pm box.
Is this dude trying to scam me ?XD
pm box/ I was running around in junon, until the CM of KILLABOT asked a friend invite. (cant name/specify people)
Dont fall for these scams!
listed at the bottom not allowed.

if there was another one that was locked please show it to me and ill see why it was closed~

Edited by Zurn, 15 October 2011 - 01:47 PM.

#20 twitch

twitch

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

If you guys need 15's add me ingame im making them for free! Has to be union gear Pm meingame.

^

#21 pokkaking

pokkaking

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:03 PM

Here's my 2 cents guys....

Why not introduce an authenticator thingy like wow has... It really enhances account security so much more and
I am sure Gravity can think of a way to make some money on the sidelines by selling authenticators via either
mail order devices or even apple/andriod apps.

I for one would be the first to buy it in order to secure my accounts.
Regards

#22 TangoBaby86

TangoBaby86

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts
  • LocationArumic Vally
  • Server:Draconis

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:25 PM

this is great and should be stickied for future generations under faq's and guides!

#23 twitch

twitch

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1404 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Sticky! :)

#24 FeedisArti

FeedisArti

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 678 posts
  • LocationLeeuwarden

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:22 PM

Scamming is bad and it's good that you try and prevent it with this.. however being scammed is just equal to stupidity. If you lend out an item, give a 'friend' your password to use your cleric (for example) or anything like that, you risk the chance of being scammed yourself. Never in all my almost 6 years of ROSE have I given anyone my password and only once have I given out an item to bendersmom (who I would even trust with my bank account info). And never have I been scammed, hacked or has anything bad happened. It's your own fault period. Except if you really get hacked when you have never given out any info ever -> then I'm sorry for you.

#25 gEddeh

gEddeh

Boomshakalaka~!

• Members
  • 4426 posts
  • LocationAmsterdam
  • Server:gEddeh

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:27 PM

I seez what yoush did there o.o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users