[Theory] Damage Focused Monk [Help Needed] - Acolyte - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[Theory] Damage Focused Monk [Help Needed]

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:47 AM

Before I ask of you guys to discuss this with me, clear things for me, and help me, I first need to state a couple of things.

- I'm completely new to this game

- I don't know if you can use duplicate cards or not

- I am aware that monk is intended to be a tank, and not a damage dealer

But...even so, I want to try this out, because I do not want to be a tank, but a thought of playing a monk class (Pretty much the only class that I never really tried in any other mmorpg...not that many even have a monk class) thrills me.

So, here's my current concept, but I'm hoping you guys can add something on it, or change it completely if you want, to work something out, and make it a viable choice.

http://www.ro2base.c...310729.22310729

Now, as you can see, I've placed all cards to be the same (because I'm unsure if duplicates are allowed or not). This card maximizes my strength and intelligence, while still having high vitality for survival, however, this is only if duplicate cards are allowed.

Here's the build if duplicates are not allowed

http://www.ro2base.c...310719.22310728

Keep in mind that I have no idea how hard or rare the cards are, I am simply putting in the cards that I think would be ideal combination for a damage focused monk.

Another thing, I do realize that I am not putting in any agility what so ever, and I'm kinda hoping to focus on that through gear, or at least get some agility through gear, just to have maybe, 15% - 20% critical chance, I think that would be fine, because I wouldn't want a build that focuses on chance, but rather one that assures high consistent damage, and if a few critical hits happen, all the better, but I definitely don't want to focus on a chance.

I also want to say that I am not looking to out-damage mages in dungeons, and stuff like that, I am being realistic here. Compared to other classes (damage dealers), I simply want (hoping) to at least deal 75% of damage that they can over time, and be a bit more enduring. Sort of like a damage dealing off-tank, when it comes to group PvE.

However, I am looking to do good in PvP with this build.

Anyway, give me your opinions, change things in the build and share it back, and explain why you changed stuff that you change, just overall try to be supportive and actually try to make this work.

Comments like: "It's not possible, it's only viable as tank" will be completely ignored, not because I think you're lying to me, or trying to prevent me from playing what I want to play, but simply because I don't care if it's viable or not (I just want to make it to be viable as much as it can be, considering the fact that monk is meant to be a tank). So, to save your and my own time, I am simply going to ignore comments of this nature.

So, no more dragging it out...it's your turn, and thanks in advance for the effort.

Edited by Skygrinder, 28 July 2013 - 03:37 AM.

#2 SacredPhoenix

SacredPhoenix

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:45 AM

u can use duplicate card.

for agility from gear, sadly monk's gear has no agility(this make our agility very low), you should find agility from another way(card, rune, or stat build).

#3 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

That kinda wrecks my plans :/

Now I'm reconsidering. I've been healing in the wolf cave, I kinda like it, maybe I should go for a priest instead.

Is there a lack of healers at the moment? That'd be ideal.

Edited by Skygrinder, 28 July 2013 - 07:41 AM.

#4 Qtpiegumdrops

Qtpiegumdrops

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

That kinda wrecks my plans :/

Now I'm re-considering. I've been healing in the wolf cave, I kinda like it, maybe I should go for a priest instead.

Is there a lack of healers at the moment? That'd be ideal.

Don't fear! I will tell you what to do if you really have dreams of going dps monk. Make sure your stat build is something like 36/36/25 (str/int/agi) That way you'll have a lot of base attack and parry, and you should also gain a little crit.

I didn't click your links at all, so I don't know what cards you chose. But the basic starter card that most classes and especially tanks use right at 50 is STC or Scratch Thief Card. it's 6 for all stats except for 17 vit. So you should start with those as they are relatively easy to get. Then I would suggest going for rare cards and make sure they have a lot of agi on them. Solomian La Christ card would be good for this. (There are better ones) This card is 11 str/int 14 agi 6 wis and 20 vit.

You'll also want to rune all agility in your gear, and make sure to pick up the magic dps colo accessories. (They have more agi on them than the melee counterparts) I can't stress enough that if you want to do any kind of dps, you need to have decent crit rate.

My monk is at 11.50% crit rate just from using STC cards, founder title, colo magic accessories, and all agi runes. I'm also using a 40/40/8 str/int/vit build.

So if you use a 36/36/25 stat build, and get rare (blue) cards, or invest in costumes (I have no costumes on my monk) you'll be able to get up to the 15-20% crit range that you were shooting for. However, you're going to have to invest a lot of money in order to do this. (You will need rare cards and costumes runed with agility runes to do this.)

So a DPS monk is viable... it's just very expensive to get to that point :/

#5 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Alright then, I'll stick with it. Definitely, better play what I want, than force something on myself, and then drop the game at mid-levels.

I'm just worried about dungeon parties through the leveling process...

I'll just be playing a healer until 25, and pump intellect, since it's easier to find party like that, and once I switch to monk, I'll start pumping strength until I catch up intellect, and then just add one int/str, until I reached the desired number on both. I'm thinking about going 40/40/8 (str/int/agi), and then taking some cards with mixed stats, like Mustafa [Rare+] (13 str, 18 agi, 13 int, 6 wis, 18 vit).

Edited by Skygrinder, 28 July 2013 - 08:31 AM.

#6 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 28 July 2013 - 08:54 AM

My only suggestion is don't drop Steel Body. Seriously, don't. Even with full Colo gear, your Def% will only be 20% which means things will kill you very, very fast compared to someone who has Steel Body which bring up your Def% to 49% with full Colo gear.

If you want a damage focused monk, I would recommend this skill-wise.

http://www.ro2base.c...1.1.1/0.0.0.0.0

Edit: Modified the build to keep SSS at lv1. I've come to some conclusions that's making me rethink what SSS really means.

Edited by Rukaroa, 28 July 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#7 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

I would really like if I could keep lightning walk maxed, as melee classes really need the gap closers as often as possible in PvP, to stick to the ranged classes. I'd rather keep Throw spirit sphere at rank 1, since it will always increase damage dealt by 10% from all other skills and it's for same duration at all ranks, only gets +9% damage for it's own damage, and I'd rather have gap closer every 20 seconds (against 60 seconds at rank 1), than 9% increased damage on one skill. Then, I'm not sure if I'll get any vigor, but it would be nice if it simply came on the end-game gear, which would decrease the cooldown on the lightning walk even further, making it very hard for other classes to shake me off. I've just realized that steel body actually has a very low cooldown, I honestly thought it was a big cd skill, which is why I dropped it, and also that -10% damage from it is very lame, but since it's such a short cd skill, I think I'll take it, instead of the dodge buff.

Here's what I made up from your suggestion: 

I removed the intimidation, because I don't need a taunt. So now I have lightning walk maxed, and throw spirit sphere almost, as well, while keeping the steel body, and everything else that I wanted.

Edited by Skygrinder, 28 July 2013 - 11:36 AM.

#8 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

I would really like if I could keep lightning walk maxed, as melee classes really need the gap closers as often as possible in PvP, to stick to the ranged classes. I'd rather keep Throw spirit sphere at rank 1, since it will always increase damage dealt by 10% from all other skills and it's for same duration at all ranks, only gets +9% damage for it's own damage, and I'd rather have gap closer every 20 seconds (against 60 seconds at rank 1), than 9% increased damage on one skill. Then, I'm not sure if I'll get any vigor, but it would be nice if it simply came on the end-game gear, which would decrease the cooldown on the lightning walk even further, making it very hard for other classes to shake me off. I've just realized that steel body actually has a very low cooldown, I honestly thought it was a big cd skill, which is why I dropped it, and also that -10% damage from it is very lame, but since it's such a short cd skill, I think I'll take it, instead of the dodge buff.

Didn't you have TSS at lv5 though? All I did was move points from Flee to Steel Body.

Also, Steel Body is a PERMANENT buff. It only goes away if you turn it off.

#9 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Oh, well, that's sweet. Anyway, there it is, I posted in the post above, but here...

That's the final skill build I've decided on.

Now...when it comes to stats, I'm really considering agility, but...I think it's more natural for monk (given that he doesn't get agility on gear) to simply raise raw damage with Intellect and Strength, you know, play his strong sides, since he gets damage from both int and str. Runes also just strength, to maximize his raw, assured damage as much as possible, and get cards with 19/19 (str/int). I'd be happy doing 75% of damage of my crit all the time (if my raw damage was lower, but my crit higher), which is what I am hoping to accomplish with this raw damage build. But even with this, I would still have a small chance to crit...so, that would be devastating. What do you think about that?

Edited by Skygrinder, 28 July 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#10 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:39 AM

Looks nice for what it's made for. Good luck with it.

Edit:

Now...when it comes to stats, I'm really considering agility, but...I think it's more natural for monk (given that he doesn't get agility on gear) to simply raise raw damage with Intellect and Strength, you know, play his strong sides, since he gets damage from both int and str. Runes also just strength, to maximize his raw, assured damage as much as possible, and get cards with 19/19 (str/int). I'd be happy doing 75% of damage of my crit all the time (if my raw damage was lower, but my crit higher), which is what I am hoping to accomplish with this raw damage build. But even with this, I would still have a small chance to crit...so, that would be devastating. What do you think about that?

It can work. It's about the same as a pure AGI spec monk I think except more consistent in damage. Either build is going to need A LOT of help in terms what they spec for.

Edited by Rukaroa, 28 July 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#11 Meconopsis

Meconopsis

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 918 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:03 PM

Good luck soldier.

#12 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Great then, I'm gonna go with that, and we'll see what happens. Just one question, can monk queue dungeons as a damage dealer, or does he only get the tank role available?

#13 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

You can queue as anything you want. Doesn't mean you should, such as healer. :p_swt:

#14 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Just want to queue as a damage dealer, later, when I manage to build this up. Would be lame if I queued as a tank, without almost any defensive stats :P

#15 Atweig

Atweig

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Server:RO2 - Odin

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:02 AM

Monk's gear will give you plenty of INT, so another possible option is ignore INT in your stat build, and put everything to AGI.

#16 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

They should add some kind of stance for monk to be opposite of steel body. That way ,you can have some different playstyles for monk.

Steel body as it is, is your tanking stance. If they added a stance, same as this one, just for opposite, damage. With decreased threat generation, increased % damage, and decreased % defense. And if you're not using either, you're kinda balanced out. I really wish something like this existed.

#17 DatMONKey

DatMONKey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

We already have a stance for damage in Fury Explosion. 30% boost for 30s is the strongest offensive buff in the game if I'm not mistaken. What we're really missing is the critical hit element which comes from AGI. We have no idea if they will ever properly fix the crappy gear scaling.

#18 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:55 AM

I hope that they put the AGI on the Monk equipments... I need moar critical rate!

And more Attack power on the weapon... At least, through scaling, we can get 300~ on the Goblin Leader weapon...

Even so, we can achieve a really nice critical, just using AGI runes on equip, STR/AGI colo accessories, stat build focused on AGI and cards focused on AGI. Though, more AGI will be apreciated! :D

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 30 July 2013 - 10:42 AM.

#19 Qtpiegumdrops

Qtpiegumdrops

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:05 AM

Monk's gear will give you plenty of INT, so another possible option is ignore INT in your stat build, and put everything to AGI.

I've never felt that pumping 2 stats really gives any sort of gain over more evenly distributed stats. Especially when you consider the rising cost of stat points; there's a point where you'll get more gains from pumping your stat points into a new stat rather than beefing up an already well established one...

Let's take the 41/41 build for str/int vs a 36/36/25 build for str/int/agi.

41/41 will get you 164 extra attack power and some parry (not sure of the parry off the top of my head)

36/36/25 will get you 144 attack power, less parry (not much less mind you) and 2%ish crit instead.

To me... it's a simple choice. 20 more attack power, and some more parry... or 2%ish crit. Especially when you take into consideration the fact that it's hard enough to get crit on monks since their gear lacks natural agility... every little bit adds up.

#20 Qtpiegumdrops

Qtpiegumdrops

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

I hope that they put the AGI on the Monk equipments... I need moar critical rate!

And more Attack power on the weapon... At least, through scaling, we can get 300~ on the Goblin Leader weapon...

Even so, we can achieve a really nice critical, just using AGI runes on equip, STR/AGI colo accesories, stat build focused on AGI and cards focused on AGI. Though, more AGI will be apreciated! :D

I just want to point out... not only will you be gaining more attack from the INT/AGI colo accessories... you'll also be gaining more agi. A decent chunk more agi mind you.

For example: STR/AGI necklace =  37 str 4 agi.  INT/AGI necklace = 40 int 10 agility.

Over the course of all the accessories, you are losing 19 agility from choosing the STR/AGI colo accessories over the INT/AGI ones.

Plus you'll be losing out on some attack also... so I recommend getting the INT/AGI colo accessories no matter what for a monk. Even if you plan on tanking as a monk.. hit is always welcome in raid settings as it will help with your threat.

#21 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

I just want to point out... not only will you be gaining more attack from the INT/AGI colo accessories... you'll also be gaining more agi. A decent chunk more agi mind you.

For example: STR/AGI necklace =  37 str 4 agi.  INT/AGI necklace = 40 int 10 agility.

Over the course of all the accessories, you are losing 19 agility from choosing the STR/AGI colo accessories over the INT/AGI ones.

Plus you'll be losing out on some attack also... so I recommend getting the INT/AGI colo accessories no matter what for a monk. Even if you plan on tanking as a monk.. hit is always welcome in raid settings as it will help with your threat.

Uhm... I oversaw that the INT/AGI accessories give more AGI than the STR/AGI ones... That changes my plans a little. I need to throw more numbers and see how much that affect my Monk on the future...

In the end, I would probably need to change the cards that I was planning to use.

Thanks for pointing that out, Qtepiegumdrops. :D

EDIT: After running down some numbers using the INT/AGI colo accessories and some modifications in the cards, my critical rate rose up to 23.70%... Which, is a lot compared to the 22.43% that I had using my other set. Seeing this, I must agree with you statment, Qtepiegumdrops. I still need to do the calcs for the Hit, but I presume that must be closer to the 96~97% of Hit rate.

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 30 July 2013 - 10:40 AM.

#22 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

We already have a stance for damage in Fury Explosion. 30% boost for 30s is the strongest offensive buff in the game if I'm not mistaken. What we're really missing is the critical hit element which comes from AGI. We have no idea if they will ever properly fix the crappy gear scaling.

It's not unique to monks really. Beastmasters have the Bear form which gives up to 30% ATK increase at the cost of the Grizzly form buffs. If monks turned off Steel Body, we'd make use of the full 30% ATK increase.

What it ends up being is that we get a 20% ATK increase if Steel Body is active. Knights can get the same 20% increase over a longer period of time, permanently as long as they don't mind taking 10% more damage. Warriors can get up to 30% ATK increase if 1) they use Aura Blade, 2) use Berserk, and 3) don't use Defender. If they had Defender + Aura Blade + Berserk, it's 20% ATK increase. If they didn't use Aura Blade but use Defender, it's a mere 10% ATK increase, but they hit like a truck anyway.

Math

Spoiler

Uhm... I oversaw that the INT/AGI accessories give more AGI than the STR/AGI ones... That changes my plans a little. I need to throw more numbers and see how much that affect my Monk on the future...

In the end, I would probably need to change the cards that I was planning to use.

Thanks for pointing that out, Qtepiegumdrops. :D

EDIT: After running down some numbers using the INT/AGI colo accessories and some modifications in the cards, my critical rate rose up to 23.70%... Which, is a lot compared to the 22.43% that I had using my other set. Seeing this, I must agree with you statment, Qtepiegumdrops. I still need to do the calcs for the Hit, but I presume that must be closer to the 96~97% of Hit rate.

Hit rate from the accessories add up to only +0.73% increase. If you want get a decent hit rate, I suggest DPS Colo weap + the DPS accessories.

#23 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:37 AM

Uhm... Using those pieces of equip for the DPS, the rest of the Dodge/Parry can be balanced out by the armor. It could work.

Thanks for the tip, Rukaroa. Beware of the dirty sins.

Edited by TatsuyaKeith, 30 July 2013 - 11:42 AM.

#24 Skygrinder

Skygrinder

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

Please...tell me that there's str + int accessories...come on, say it.

Edited by Skygrinder, 30 July 2013 - 12:04 PM.

#25 TatsuyaKeith

TatsuyaKeith

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Please...tell me that there's str + int accessories...come on, say it.

Uhm... Nope. Sorry, dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users