Training Grounds Improvement program - Classic Foundry - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Training Grounds Improvement program

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#1 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

Greetings! 

As one of the most important things in any games the new user experience should be updated in order to help new users have an understanding of the trials ahead of them.

What game systems do you think the training grounds should walk players through before dumping them into the world at large.

Personally I think that the training grounds needs to talk about...

Cards

Refining

Pet System

Stat System

Organizing a Party

Leaving a Party

Am I missing anything important?

From the community, things that could be explained in training grounds: 

Expanded class job NPC, warp to job change city

VIP/Magic Stone explainer

NPC that points players towards out of game fan resources

Kafra Shop

Guild System 

WoE/Battlegrounds

Build guide NPC

Leveling suggestions

Zeny making

Card system

Mercenary system

Ingame ill mannered rules

Vending

AFK chat/communication

Class NPCs to talk to

Veteran players be able to bypass tutorial zone

Prontera Library for players who have questions after leaving the training ground

#2 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Add the expanded classes to the Job NPC there and make it possible to get them from the last NPC that guides you to your job town.

#3 Themes

Themes

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1412 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

Talk about anything server specific that they may not be used to, for example VIP, Magic Stones. Maybe mention other sources of information like the forums here or irowiki. The recently added monster kill quests would be really good to introduce them too.

Some of these might be a little more complex than basic introductions but would probably be nice to fit in somewhere.

#4 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:31 PM

kafra shop

Guild system

WoE

Edited by Xellie, 30 July 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#5 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:20 PM

I think pointing to irowiki, these forums, and ragial would be best.  Very important resources.

#6 Eklavya

Eklavya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:26 PM

I think pointing to irowiki, these forums, and ragial would be best.  Very important resources.

Exactly. Also giving them some idea of possible builds would be good. I remember how I messed up my first character because I wanted him to have "intelligence", "strength" etc.

Just explain what each stat does (if thats not there) and what the class--they chose--needs.

Also emphasize on the command /h. Since putting everything in NPC talk would be very boring and most people skip through it anyway. If they have it on /h, they can get the tips they need anytime

Edited by Eklavya, 30 July 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#7 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Exactly. Also giving them some idea of possible builds would be good. I remember how I messed up my first character because I wanted him to have "intelligence", "strength" etc.

Just explain what each stat does (if thats not there) and what the class--they chose--needs.

Also emphasize on the command /h. Since putting everything in NPC talk would be very boring and most people skip through it anyway. If they have it on /h, they can get the tips they need anytime

Was thinking what if we did it by npc and created a weightless book with this information. Users could destroy it and get a new one for free but it could be the "Hitch Hikers Guide to Rune Midgard" and starts with "Don't Chaos Panic"

#8 HikariYari

HikariYari

Awarded #1 Troll

• Banned
  • 789 posts
  • Server:Roundbeck

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:46 PM

Maybe change the first and second map of monsters in training grounds to some better job exp ones?

Also, Explain the Magical stone system, Guilds, WoE, places to level, collect zeny, and the card system.

Edited by HikariYari, 30 July 2013 - 07:49 PM.

#9 Nine

Nine

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

Mercenary System

#10 maelstorm123

maelstorm123

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think it would be better to make a video that explains pretty much basics about woe and the server differences. Then you make an npc to direct to that link or gives information about that link. Because this is 2013 and people are getting bored too fast of reading all the things that our weird npc's tell.

#11 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->
  • Server:Odin

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:53 AM

Make a list of all suggested points so far so they won't get lost in cast this thread gets more than 2 pages, because I agree with pretty much all of them!

Edited by Morlord, 31 July 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#12 ashS1

ashS1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1162 posts
  • LocationIndia
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:01 AM

a very good idea..I remember a player telling me he put a lot of stats into LUK as he thought it would improve his in-game LUK & get him some good rare drops. :o

Another NPC could be added which provides details about WoE OR basic rules of games like No Ksing or spamming or abusing, etc..

#13 Victoryblood

Victoryblood

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Server:Whatever we got

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:00 AM

More novice potions!

Make novice potions weightless and storage able.

The training ground npcs should give thousands of weightless novice potions.

Most new players I have met have asked where they can get more healing items or if someone can spare some.

So what if a player farms the non tradable potions to storage and uses them on a different char, maybe that character is the only reason why they continue to play and they desperately need the novice pots to heal up in their current pvm climate. Those novie pots aren't gonna help you tank the big mobs anyway.

Also add cool looking npcs that offer class specific advice and when reading the info, the message will stay for 10~ seconds (with no option to cancel / or click next) to get people to read it. Maybe use red text to get their attention.

#14 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:12 AM

Make Training Grounds mandatory, noone may leave it until they've reached Job Level 10.

#15 Phantaminum

Phantaminum

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 780 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:27 AM

Was thinking what if we did it by npc and created a weightless book with this information. Users could destroy it and get a new one for free but it could be the "Hitch Hikers Guide to Rune Midgard" and starts with "Don't Chaos Panic"

Keep to the bare minimum. ie stats, skills. Nobody likes to start a new MMO overloaded with information, and people will end up skipping through most npcs. The info book sounds like a good idea because players can refer to it only when they are searching for something specific. 

Might be slightly off topic but I hope you guys include some effective anti bot measures with this training groups revamp.

#16 Humbelum

Humbelum

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationMade in Germany
  • Server:euRO->fRO->iRO Classic

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:02 AM

RO Encyclopedia, sounds good :)

From beginners edition(stats, skills, level spots till base40) up to a edition for more experienced players(builds spots etc)

Btw: Isn't there a base <40 Skillreset npc?   Afaik there was one on euRO where you could reset your char till level 40. If its possible on iRO too you should mention it that they have a last chance to fix their character.

#17 Melkor

Melkor

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 04:54 AM

Make Training Grounds mandatory, noone may leave it until they've reached Job Level 10.

This is a terrible idea.  Veteran players who just want to slave themselves at spores would retch at this.  

This however is a great idea.  There are many internet resources for the game, and many many new players that I meet don't even realize that they exist.  I would go as far as to suggest including ROratorio's stat/build calculator, RO EXP calculator, Himeyasha skill simulator, and a direct link to the guild recruitment forum.  I know that these sites are in no way "affiliated with Gravity," but that doesn't mean they can't be recommended.....right?

Although, we also have to consider that probably over 90% of the new players that come to this server have already played RO in the past and have a decent idea of how it works.  And to be honest, when I was first starting, I never bothered to actually read the training grounds NPCs.  There's a good chance that this effort will all be futile...

Edited by Melkor, 31 July 2013 - 08:00 AM.

#18 kisai

kisai

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

Most new players' questions arise after having left the training grounds and played the game a bit. Perhaps you could compile more detailed game information into "books" and have them accessible via the Prontera Library. The basic tutorial in the training grounds could direct players to the library for future reference, as well as an NPC in the Eden Group to remind players of the library's availability. It could also warp directly to the library. 

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Ugh and have all those annoying new players at my afk spot.

j/k. I think a library would be a good way to go for newbies.

#20 Rate

Rate

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1114 posts
  • Server:bad news

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:03 AM

Instead of pages and pages of text spam, first direct them to an online guide with an option to read more ingame by clicking the npc again. Worst thing about training grounds is having to navigate bad menus and spam enter ignoring everything you already ignored the first time.

#21 kisai

kisai

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:06 AM

You'd get first choice on new members though! 

#22 Morlord

Morlord

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1433 posts
  • LocationOver There-->

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:09 AM

This is a terrible idea.  Veteran players who just want to slave themselves at spores would retch at this. 

It takes a total of 5 minutes to reach Job Level 10 in training grounds.

When you talk to all NPCs you'll end up with Job Level 7 and 400 Novice Potions and then it's just 5 Spores until Job Level 10.

Pros:

Slows down zeny spammers.

Makes sure new players are "prepared" when they leave training grounds as in: supplied with basic gear and +300 novice potions & ready to job change right away.

Cons:

Gahh, I'm so veteran me wanna leech novice asap, diz so crap those 5 minutes I could be using to find a cure for cancer!

Just as the other point someone brought up here, where Novice players outside the training grounds always end up asking for potions and gear, this is mostly because they are allowed to skip right into the game and miss out on the Novice Potions and Personality Quiz gear.

Therefore still my suggestion is:

Training Grounds mandatory (Job Level 10)

No option to skip the personality quiz (basic gear assured)

OR

If given the option to skip the personality quiz, let the player choose for a major town to be sent to, like this:

Archer - Payon

Swordsman - Izlude

Acolyte - Prontera

Thief - Morroc

Magician - Geffen

(expanded classes, too)

Whereas each "skip" option will provide the player with the respective basic gear according to the class/town they chose.

Edited by Morlord, 31 July 2013 - 05:09 AM.

#23 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

Explain what vending is and the chat box system.  Players should leave the training grounds knowing how to sell their items to other players.

It may also be worth it to actually list out some low leveling hunting areas that drop items that sell well (ex: spores for Strawberry) so they have something to go off of.

#24 Melkor

Melkor

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:54 AM

It takes a total of 5 minutes to reach Job Level 10 in training grounds.

When you talk to all NPCs you'll end up with Job Level 7 and 400 Novice Potions and then it's just 5 Spores until Job Level 10.

Pros:

Slows down zeny spammers.

Makes sure new players are "prepared" when they leave training grounds as in: supplied with basic gear and +300 novice potions & ready to job change right away.

Trust me, it won't be slowing down zeny spammers.  Nothing can slow down zeny spammers.  Just configure your nospam to make it go away and that's the best you got.  Secondly, the new players should know well enough to select "start training."  There's no reason to "force" players to do the training grounds.

On another note, it might be a good idea to consider dropping the kafra warp charge, or at least lowering it, or maybe giving more free teleport passes for new characters.  It certainly isn't functioning as a "zeny dump" for higher end players, and it really only inhibits lower level players from getting places or makes them strongly consider not going simply because 1k-2k is so much in their eyes.

Now who's the elitist, Xellie ;)

Edited by Melkor, 31 July 2013 - 07:59 AM.

#25 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • LocationValhalla

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hey now, I gotta keep the veteran player rep, don't I?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users