Missing Hard Drive Space - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Missing Hard Drive Space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Heavensent408

Heavensent408

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Loki

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:10 AM

So I've been back playing for about 4 days on Classic and noticed space on my hard drive continually getting eaten up. I've installed the game on my (E:) HDD but I see my (C:) SSD still being effected. I looked around in windows explorer and havent seen any folders that might be effecting it. About 10 GB has been taken up in 4 days worth of time. I cleaned out my system restore points to get back around 5GB, so I assume that wasn't the problem. I'm running on Windows7 and I'm positive it isn't a virus/malware/spyware/etc.

I've never really had this problem before as I used to play RO as I didn't care because my old PCs had ordinary HDs and I never really paid attention but I'd prefer not to destroy my SSD. If it continually burns large amounts of space, no point in playing. Already have problems with failed to connect to server and having to open up ro clients multiple times just to get it to work. It's annoying as is, just to get on.

#2 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:22 AM

The IRO client installer creates a 1.6 GiB file in %SystemRoot%\windows\Installer (where "%SystemRoot%" is the path to your Windows folder) that is used to facilitate repair of the installation in case it becomes corrupted. However, the client itself uses very little disc space after it has been installed.

You can use a disc usage analyser such as SpaceSniffer to discover what is eating your disc space. I recommend you run the application with administrative privileges so it can analyse the entire contents of your discs.

Edited by Axylus, 29 August 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#3 Heavensent408

Heavensent408

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:08 PM

I'm trying that program out atm. It helped me find that 1.6GB along with other stuff. I don't know if there is a log that records data writes so I'm just screenshotting the program and comparing as I play. A little after I finished playing a few hours ago, I checked my HD space and it dropped another .2GB. It still seems to be widdling away. I'll keep monitoring and try to find out what's happening. Very useful program. Thanx!

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:04 PM

Check the size of the RO folder - RO doesn't store anything outside of the RO folder. 

Could it be windows allocating space for virtual memory? 

In terms of general space saving on an SSD based system, turn off hibernation per this http://www.techrepub...rnate-function/

#5 Heavensent408

Heavensent408

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:55 PM

Turning off hibernation freed up another 5GB but it dropped another .2GB again. I'm gonna stay off RO for a while and monitor it to see if it's still doing it.

Edit: Just skimmed that again and read it wrong. Misread it as a solution. Yea it helped save room. I'm looking into this allocating space for virtual memory thing right now. Trying to learn how that works.

Edit: Think I might run a ton of stuff at once to stress it and see if it's virtual memory. I am duel/triple clienting on RO.

Edit: I might have fixed the problem. I looked into the virtual memory thing as I knew about it to a certain extent but didn't know exactly how it worked. Learned how it takes the place of RAM when you run out but I figured out this wasn't the problem. The pagefile.sys file was set at 7.9GB and hasn't changed. I set the setting to delete the virtual memory each time I shutdown but I didn't notice any space saved.

I noticed 2 files changed after a while of SpaceSniffer. 1 in appdata\local\temp folder increased by .1GB but then dropped later and does this continually every once in a while. The other file was 576MB but later turned 1.3GB under system volume information. I looked into it and assumed it was system restores(what I first deleted earlier for 5GB). So I deleted system restores again and the 1.3GB disappeared from SpaceSniffer. I then proceeded to turn off the automatic restores that are supposed to go off 30 minutes after I start pc or 12am to once a week at 1am. For some reason it was saving system restores at random times throughout the day. I played RO today and haven't noticed a drop in HD space. The 10GB originally gone was probably a combination of things. The weird increase in system restores which was a 5GB file, a 1.6GB RO file, a 2GB other file I recently used,  and um, something else? But overall because of this, I saved another what was actually 5.9GB, not 5GB with the hibernation thing. In the end, even with RO installed, I have about 8GB higher then before I installed RO with all the cleaning I did(what advanced system care didn't grab). If it doesn't drop at all until tomorrow, I think I'm in the safe zone. Scary randomly seeing your HD space drop at alarming rates D=

Too early to celebrate, but thanks a lot! I learned some useful things because of this.

Edit: Another .2GB I give up! =D It is under the system volume information area where the system restores were but showed 2 separate files earlier. Now it wont clear out anymore when I try to delete system restores. It's at least not as much as it was before. I'll just leave it alone for a week or 2 and see what happens. maybe it will stop at some point or it will let me clean it out again. Or maybe it is supposed to continually suk up room everyday without doing system restores and I've just somehow never noticed? Time will tell.

Edited by Heavensent408, 30 August 2013 - 06:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users