#1 RavenTDA

RavenTDA

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 03 September 2013 - 01:54 AM

I'm trying to come up with a new build for my priest and I keep hearing mixed things about this skill. Some says level 1 is enough and others are saying under level 4 makes it useless.

For those that frequently raid, under what circumstances do you use this skill and why? Is it just to increase everyone's HP in anticipation of a hard blow? What level do you have your Sanctuary at and why it works for you?

#2 Feliface

Feliface

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 01:46 PM

Honestly speaking I think it depends on ur build and how u play. I personally have LVL 1 and it's more then enough for me BUT I have a max int build so it naturally heals more to begin with [also usually have reno on my pt members] whereas agi built priests may need it at a higher level. The skill is used alot in raids esp as the raids get harder. If the party members aren't as geared, the Hp booster is a major life saver. But also the Hp boost is pretty important in coa H and Aod [depends how many sorc deluges u can have around and what LVL those are].

#3 RavenTDA

RavenTDA

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 531 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

Thanks for the reply! So it's the HP boost mostly. That's what I thought but I haven't been on enough raids to really tell. This helps me out a lot. :)

#4 asabayou

asabayou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:26 AM

i use it even for just 2-3 people to save HH's cd

#5 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 October 2013 - 05:27 AM

Well, I have a lvl 50 Priest with lvl 5 Sanctuary and I don't want to miss it. So I disagree that lvl 1 is enough.

The statement that the +15% HP with Aspersio is the biggest lifesaver is correct. In this way some ppl can cheat themself into harder raids (PvE H) even if they wouldn't otherwise met the prerequesits in HP. This requires a good coordination though, becaues the frequency of boss AoEs is usually less than 60sec.

Sanctuary is basically my "party panic button". Unlike the usual Coloseo Heal, it can be a 12sec moment of safety for the whole party. So I really, really like the additional 47.5% boost between lvl 1 and lvl 5. If an AoE hits the group, it might be followed by DoT; or there might be adds or minor bosses around you that could deal damage right thereafter. So any additional healing power might keep more raid members alive and keeps you mobile earlier (if it has restored full HP).

When do I use it? - Basically, whenever it's possible. However, since it DOES grant the 15% HP boost, I have to hold it back.

Some examples:

• CoA - Ratmaster - far too often
  • CoA - Aromine - if AoE hits party (followed by DoT)
  • CoA - Aromine - healing tank on white circle damage buff
  • CoA - MiniMongi - Micro Throw (DoT)
  • CoA - MiniMongi - large blue AoE
  • CoA - Guitary DoT
  • PvE N / H - Einherjar Priest (Prana) - Oratio
  • PvE N / H - Einherjar Assassin (Rosario) [combined with Aspersio]
  • PvE H - Pertus - huge AoE
  • PvE N - Pertus - blue 'silencing' adds
  • PvE H - Giant Driller - huge AoE and at the end of the fight
  • PvE H - Xeno Spider - huge AoE
  • PvE N / H - Vadon X & Z - at melee range to heal both tanks & create a 12sec safety moment
  • PvE H - Vadon X & Z - If I got stuck in small blue AoE (yes, this might happen >_> )
  • PvE H - Entraion - huge AoE
  • PvE H - Gearbaz - alternating with a 2nd priest on every god-damn deadly huge AoE
  • Bapho H - Baphomet - at melee range; when he is at 10% HP and spawning all the adds
  • Bapho H - Baphomet - on blue circle if there have been losses already
  • Bapho H - Humbaba - huge AoE

Edited by Greven79, 29 October 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#6 FarenHigh

FarenHigh

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 03 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I used to have it lvl5 for quite a while. It makes unable to reach archangel if you're hybrid but it's makes you able to survive to pretty much anything. 

Level 5 sanctuary not only makes you survive to anything but your team aswell. At lvl5, you can stand right next to the tank and healing him up while taking the damage without any problem. If you're targeted by tons of mobs - pop sanctuary lvl5 and you will be still full hp. You'll be also able to AoE heal boss Aoe Skills on your own instead of relying on another deluge or sanctuary.

This is not possible with a lvl1 sanctary that will only make you able to AoE heal specific Boss skills with the help of other aoe heals - Deluge or sanctuary. However, It'll increase your average heal capability by reaching archangel or giving the chance to increase some other healing spells. 

My personal opinion is that I would not increase Sanctuary higher than lvl3 since at lvl5, you'll be mostly over-healing.

Edited by FarenHigh, 03 November 2013 - 03:52 PM.

#7 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 01:30 AM

To be honest, I don't understand, why people like Archangel.... besides Colo. In usual raids, it's worth nearly nothing. The issue I have with Archangel isn't just the skill itself, but the fact that you have to take Angelus, Suffragium, Recovery and Gloria as well. And all these spells are quite worthless on their own. So in order to get the 20% damage/heal boost, you have to spend 4 skills in addition (3 if you like Gloria).

Me as a - Full support priest

Me as a - Farming Priest

I've noticed that the 'usual' damage isn't such a problem during raids. What really kills are either boss AoEs; certain status effects (Ratmaster - cores, Aromine - white circle) or unlucky successive attacks. In all these cases, the normal heal spells won't be enough (except for an Aspersio boosted Highness Heal maybe).

Therefore - in my opinion - only if you prefer to boost your damage over time skills, you should consider to to use Archangel.

#8 asabayou

asabayou

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:15 AM

archangel+lvl 5 sanc is tasty and oh max resu too XD

#9 Gluttannie

Gluttannie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

Personally, lvl 1 is more than enough. It is always used mainly for the +15% HP boost in my raids (there is absolutely no extra Sancs to throw around just for the heal factor during boss fights post CoA, nor do you want to be stuck channeling unnecessarily while the tank is getting hit hard). Lvl 1 Sanc has yet to fail me in terms of healing, but I am also full int build.

Archangel can be a good life saver since you can use it to boost your Reno, in which case it would give you a much easier time. Recovery is also nice, since it gets rid of Snares, though I would not invest into it unless I'm getting Archangel.

In the end, I still prefer hybrid. That Aspersio + Judex just might save your skin when adds pop up. The DoTs also accumulate nicely over time. The only thing I don't have that some full support Priests have are skills past Gloria, and I don't really miss them.

Edited by Gluttannie, 09 November 2013 - 04:56 PM.

#10 lalafujinatsu

lalafujinatsu

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 09 November 2013 - 09:32 PM

did level 3 santuary and level 1 santuary can stack?

cos my bf have lvl 3 santuary while im only lvl 1

also did it apply too to deluge, like lvl 4 deluge stack with lvl 5?

or only deluge + sanc that can stack?

#11 Gluttannie

Gluttannie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Since they both give the same buffs/effects, Sancs don't stack and only write over each other. Same thing with Deluge.

Only different icon effects would stack, eg Sanc+Deluge, Sanc+Shield Fort, Shield Fort+Deluge.

#12 ShirakawaNaoya

ShirakawaNaoya

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • LocationLiving in SeaGodTemple
  • Playing:Dragon Saga

Posted 11 November 2013 - 12:47 AM

did level 3 santuary and level 1 santuary can stack?

cos my bf have lvl 3 santuary while im only lvl 1

also did it apply too to deluge, like lvl 4 deluge stack with lvl 5?

or only deluge + sanc that can stack?

it wont stack if it is coming from the same skill, it will just overwrite the prior, +HP % buff is same (aka 15%) on any of its skill level, except its % of heals.

Sorc's Deluge on the other hand is slightly different because their Deluge +HP % buff at :-

lvl 1 = 04%

lvl 5 = 20%

so do their % of heals.

yes, deluge + sanc can stack because it is different skills.

Just remember that "it will only stack if it is different skills"

#13 Greven79

Greven79

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1006 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Personally, lvl 1 is more than enough. It is always used mainly for the +15% HP boost in my raids (there is absolutely no extra Sancs to throw around just for the heal factor during boss fights post CoA, nor do you want to be stuck channeling unnecessarily while the tank is getting hit hard). Lvl 1 Sanc has yet to fail me in terms of healing, but I am also full int build.

Honestly, the only "post CoA" raids, I've seen were cheated.

In addition: If you're "stucked channeling", it means 2 things: First, the Sanc didn't hit the tank and you feel like keeping the sanc up after the attack because it hadn't healed that much.

Archangel can be a good life saver since you can use it to boost your Reno, in which case it would give you a much easier time. Recovery is also nice, since it gets rid of Snares, though I would not invest into it unless I'm getting Archangel.

As I've already written, if a 22% Reno isn't enough, a 27,5% Reno won't safe the day either.

Recovery doesn't work on so many things that it's easy to call it useless.

In the end, I still prefer hybrid. That Aspersio + Judex just might save your skin when adds pop up. The DoTs also accumulate nicely over time. The only thing I don't have that some full support Priests have are skills past Gloria, and I don't really miss them.

If you have time to use Aspersio for a 3sec stun, the situation isn't critical and it's just a fun raid.

It's also quite funny that you praised Archangel one sentence before you stated that you don't miss anything past Gloria.

And a full Support Priest doesn't need Gloria or anything else past it either: A sample FS priest

But we should be honest; It's quite easy to win Colo as a so called Hybrid priest. And a Colo Priest is often centered around KSing with Genesis Ray. ~140% damage is not far away from a Varetyr Spear with double damage due to a frozen state (160%). Casting Aspersio gives you 20s to cast Genesis Ray without casting delay. 

That you have to pick those DoTs on your way down to Genesis Ray doesn't hurt either. Casting Oratio on the run or Credo from a safe distance is great. That you can cast them once per second and therefore "curse" multiple busy targets in no-time isn't that bad either.

So let's get to Archangel. For a FS priest, it's crap IMO. However, it transforms a Genesis Ray into a ~175% damage beast what allows you a really sure kill. The only reason why Archangel isn't used that often is because beside lvl 5 Genesis Ray and lvl 5 Archangel, you won't have enough skill points left to fake the usual priest role in raids. 

That's why players tend to skip Archangel. You have to level quite a few useless skills to get it (Recovery, Suffragium & Angelus) which allows you to spend 8 more skill points in the healing tree and to such a build

And we made the full circle in our argumentation why a lvl 1 Sanctuary is enough.... most fundamentally because you won't have enough skill points left to level it as well without being a loser in Colo.

Edited by Greven79, 02 December 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#14 Gluttannie

Gluttannie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:12 PM

Honestly, the only "post CoA" raids, I've seen were cheated.

In addition: If you're "stucked channeling", it means 2 things: First, the Sanc didn't hit the tank and you feel like keeping the sanc up after the attack because it hadn't healed that much.

As I've already written, if a 22% Reno isn't enough, a 27,5% Reno won't safe the day either.

Recovery doesn't work on so many things that it's easy to call it useless.

If you have time to use Aspersio for a 3sec stun, the situation isn't critical and it's just a fun raid.

It's also quite funny that you praised Archangel one sentence before you stated that you don't miss anything past Gloria.

And a full Support Priest doesn't need Gloria or anything else past it either: A sample FS priest

But we should be honest; It's quite easy to win Colo as a so called Hybrid priest. And a Colo Priest is often centered around KSing with Genesis Ray. ~140% damage is not far away from a Varetyr Spear with double damage due to a frozen state (160%). Casting Aspersio gives you 20s to cast Genesis Ray without casting delay. 

That you have to pick those DoTs on your way down to Genesis Ray doesn't hurt either. Casting Oratio on the run or Credo from a safe distance is great. That you can cast them once per second and therefore "curse" multiple busy targets in no-time isn't that bad either.

So let's get to Archangel. For a FS priest, it's crap IMO. However, it transforms a Genesis Ray into a ~175% damage beast what allows you a really sure kill. The only reason why Archangel isn't used that often is because beside lvl 5 Genesis Ray and lvl 5 Archangel, you won't have enough skill points left to fake the usual priest role in raids. 

That's why players tend to skip Archangel. You have to level quite a few useless skills to get it (Recovery, Suffragium & Angelus) which allows you to spend 8 more skill points in the healing tree and to such a build

And we made the full circle in our argumentation why a lvl 1 Sanctuary is enough.... most fundamentally because you won't have enough skill points left to level it as well without being a loser in Colo.

Actually, my main point was that Sanctuary is most commonly used for its max HP boost, and because of that, you can't afford to use it just for its passive healing. Most of the time, we burn all of our cooldowns for AoEs that actually require a combination of either Deluge+Sanc or Shield Fort+Sanc. This is why Sanc lv1 is enough imo. There's really not much a max level Sanc can do that a Asp+HH can't. The HoT of HH and Reno are enough for passive healing and it also lets you remain mobile. We've never run into a situation where we actually needed the wide effect of Sanc to heal outside of boss AoEs or when we were fooling around in lower level raids, and during those times, lv1 has always sufficed. 

Also, Judex stun is extremely useful regardless of whether you're a hybrid or a pure build. Things like Abyss, self-destructing toads/bombers can ruin your day if they spawn near you and target you first. That gives your group time to get it off of you. It's also a godsend in PvP without saying, of course. The DoTs are negligible if you decide to go FS though.

Archangel is actually quite good, from my experience of raiding with FS priests with max Archangel. Have you seen Highness Heals that heal for 2.6k over time? That actually does make a difference. With Archangel, you are also able to substitute INT into something else. I don't plan on getting Archangel unless I get more skill points, but I can definitely see its advantages. If you really want Sanctuary for passive healing, why not just Archangel+Sanc lv1? Not only does it heal very well, you can also use the boost for things other than one skill.

There are plenty of videos of legit post-CoA runs out there, some are even on the forums at the moment. You'll see that most of the time the ranged must stay away from the tanks. This means you're probably not going to be using Sanc for its healing on the tank aside from a few selected fights, and you'll have to break your Sanc to heal the tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users