Early observations on the Soulmaker skill tree - Alter - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Early observations on the Soulmaker skill tree

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DarkTycon

DarkTycon

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:48 AM

Hi, after looking through the Soulmaker skill tree i see great potential for multiple builds despite the small singular tree. Although the dps looks somewhat low theres tons of utility in the tree that you'd probably do slightly more than a dps priest while although the healing tree looks some what lacking it has tools at its disposable to make it possible, perhaps with practice you could potentially heal 5 mans. With that said my end game healing experience is non-existent. Obviously whether you decide to spec for dps or healing the main reason and must have skills that make you important is the amazing buffs provided by the middle tree. As far as I'm concern as long as you have your buffs up your useful regardless of how little you heal or dps, you'd even be useful RO1 bard afking. A big problem I've noticed besides SP costs that I will mention in the healing tree, is that every thing has a cast time of at least 1 second and Immunity having a 2 second cast. For this build I focused on agility for crit with int as a secondary, I'm not sure what to card as of yet.

I'll first start by saying pretty much every thing in the buff tree is a must have since they are amazing buffs. Exploration seams Ok for leveling but standing so close to a group of enemies and casting seams like suicide leading me to think leaving a single point in Exploration is fine just as a prerequisite. Soul link: Devotion is used for the rez and the link damage seams suicidal so a single point in this skill should suffice. All other skills should be max rank in this tree as they just provide amazing utility (even if Soul Link: Balance is single target)

My first look at the skill tree in the healing tree leads me to these first observations. The soul keeper doesn't have an Aqua Benedicta mana regeneration skill or Water arms type of mana regeneration. While priests and sorcs could get by Ok perhaps with just pots the mana costs on their skills are WAY less. Your restore at rank 5 costs 25 SP! Your basic heal is even higher than highness heal as well as all of the other priest and sorc heals. Restoration is 26 SP at 5 and cure is 27 SP. However the plus side seams to be that they heal for very big amounts comparatively with cure although starting small growing very large. Another backing of them having large heals is the fact that they prefer to have high agility and crit chance to increase the buff bond %'s. This leads me to conclude that your ideally going to want to be spamming skills trying to achieve crits. At rank 1 Restore is 1 Sp and heals for more than rank 5 heal, it grows at 6 SP per rank and gains 5% magic per rank. If you want to spam this all day I'd consider leaving the rank low. Rank 1 for all day spam or 2 or 3 for larger heals. Restoration grows at 6 SP per rank and gains 3% magic at rank 2 and 3 but only 2% at rank 4 and 5. This growth rate leads me to considering only putting 3 points into the skill. Cure is the skill that confuses me more. I assume refreshing cure will reapply the buff as well as erase the scaling hot effect from the previous making it not ideal to cure the same target twice during the buff duration. Cure cannot crit and has a cast time for a HoT effect. It grows at 6 SP also per rank and only 1% magic per point. However the 1% will be applied for 15 ticks over 30 seconds giving it 15% per rank. Additionally the scaling progression of the HoT makes having a higher base bring a higher pay off. This skill has mixed bag of problems and advantages and I'm glad it does, hopefully other people will have better a analysis and conclusion of it.

For the other healing skills, Cure pearl isn't bad but its utility seams somewhat limited for the 30 second orb pickup heal cool down, however it seams that making a poor mans light well and ability to have an instant burst heal (run into orbs, preemptively cast) is very important. It scales at 6 SP per rank as all other healing skills but has 3% and 4% magic scaling at alternating ranks. This making putting 2 or 4 points in the skill is not optimal. The heavily increased cost at higher ranks of the skill for small pay out seams to be discouraging. Dispell and detection look like cool but unreliable pvp abilities.

Looking at the DPS tree gives me mixed feelings. I've seen many people talk about the synergy between Death Spell and Mental Breakdown and I see the aoe potential but pointing multiple points in these skills feels like a waist as the dps is probably sufficient at rank 1. Soul Extinction does great damage of a 1 second cast time but its 5 second cooldown makes it unspamable for the likes of leveling and dps. Soul Extinction mastery looks great for pvp and if you plan on doing colo I'd want this skill at max, a 3 second root on a 5 second cool down. Sacrifice hits REALLY hard and seams worth maxing as the scaling looks great and is very worth the 10% hp hit, the 30 second cooldown is the worst draw back. Awake : Soulmate looks really good and gives you yet another reason to get crit. Immunity is a 2 second cast with a 10 second cool down, the heal requires your allies to be close to the target thus making it seam situational at beast. The cast time makes it unusable in pvp. 

With all that said I've made a few builds with all focusing on the buffs, I wouldn't be looking to replace a priest but if your desperate your off healing might be enough (for 5 mans), especially if you have a beast master tank. Ideally you'd want to replace a DPS as your buffs alone bring the utility to justify your presence.

The build I was looking at for general support with healing and damage options that focus on a pve and pvp hybrid would be this build (Focus on Soul Ex Mastery)

http://www.ro2base.c...9.1.2/0.0.0.0.0

An alternate pve build I was looking to focus on was improving Restore, however putting the extra points into Cure Pearl or Cure instead seam like competitive options 

http://www.ro2base.c...9.1.2/0.0.0.0.0

I'd appreciate constructive criticism as well as counter arguments for focusing on different skills, ranking skills and stat focus.

Edited by DarkTycon, 10 September 2013 - 10:53 AM.

#2 Lanie

Lanie

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationAlberta
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2
  • Server:Odin

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:19 PM

Biggest detail I would want thrown in is one most people miss.  Both Death Grip (Cres) and Immunity (SM) require Awakening form.  Awakening has a 10min cooldown, 2min duration.  Both Immunity and Death Grip deal high power AoE damage though, with added effects (either extra damage in a team, or healing for a team), but they are mostly high power bursts that you can use in Awakening only.  But otherwise I can see the rest as enough opinionated information that I would support independent opinions.  You mentioned all the other important points to consider, so all good otherwise.

#3 feed3r

feed3r

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Here to clarify a few 'inaccuracies' from the skill sim :)

Buff/Link Tree

Everything you said is pretty accurate, devotion is currently bugged in SEA where it gets cancelled the moment the target gets healed or pots, but generally the idea is just to keep 1 point in it for a free ress before you die insurance. Also there is a debuff applied (like Guardian) where someone who has gotten a devote link cannot get it again in 5 minutes, so you can't keep using it on the same person to grant them immortality :)

Also important note that all links are gone when you die.

Healing Tree

Restore has 2s casting time not 1s.

Restoration has no casting time (but a small spin animation).

Cure has no casting time (a small jump animation), note that the 3.5% growth is based on the absolute healing amount and not your MATK. Recasting it resets the amount.

Cure Pearls has 2s casting time.

Damage Tree

Soul Extinction has 2s casting time not 1s.

Mental Breakdown has no casting time and functions like mages lightning bolt (with 25m range).

Soul Extortion has no casting time but is channeling (moving cancels it) - 25m range

Death Spell has no casting time (small spin animation) and is really only used to apply the debuff to turn mental breakdown and soul extortion to a pretty decent AOE skill.

Sacrifice has 2s casting time not 1s, and is your only 'KS' skill in Colo.

Immunity has a further 2s animation time (its really pretty though) so in total the skill takes about 3-4s to actually finish.

Other notes :-

1. The stats given by SM eq is similar to priest but they get less INT (and nothing additional more to compensate).

2. SM weapons have very sad MATK figures. A chaos dungeon SM weapon comes with 540 MATK and the doll about 90 MATK. A similar grade priest weapon starts at 730 MATK, while a sorcerer weapon starts at 900 MATK.

If you add (1) and (2) together it should pretty quickly tell you that SM's are very poor and at best mediocre DPS candidates even after awakening. However immunity gives them a unique 2-in-1 skill which heals and damages, so you can help out with both dps and heal but your main role is buff, heal support and helping out with the mobs with aoe skills.

#4 elvenne

elvenne

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 427 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:43 AM

On a sidenote: Priest hots do not stack, but both SM and priest hots can be applied to the same person thus giving the raid a bigger safety cushion in the form of double hots.

#5 NuwaChan

NuwaChan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:42 AM

So with cure at lvl 4 with 2000 matk would go like this (starting at 0 sec):

220, 220, 220, 228, 228, 236, 236, 236, 244, 244, 252, 252, 252, 261, 261, 261

While 2 Renovto casts at lvl 3 with 2000 matk does:

440, 440, 440, 440, 440, 440, 440,  --, 440, 440, 440, 440, 440, 440, --, --

Oh well, I was hoping cure had a straight matk percentage increase.

Edited by NuwaChan, 11 September 2013 - 04:51 AM.

#6 DarkTycon

DarkTycon

I am New.

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:43 AM

Here to clarify a few 'inaccuracies' from the skill sim :)

Buff/Link Tree

Everything you said is pretty accurate, devotion is currently bugged in SEA where it gets cancelled the moment the target gets healed or pots, but generally the idea is just to keep 1 point in it for a free ress before you die insurance. Also there is a debuff applied (like Guardian) where someone who has gotten a devote link cannot get it again in 5 minutes, so you can't keep using it on the same person to grant them immortality :)

Also important note that all links are gone when you die.

Healing Tree

Restore has 2s casting time not 1s.

Restoration has no casting time (but a small spin animation).

Cure has no casting time (a small jump animation), note that the 3.5% growth is based on the absolute healing amount and not your MATK. Recasting it resets the amount.

Cure Pearls has 2s casting time.

Damage Tree

Soul Extinction has 2s casting time not 1s.

Mental Breakdown has no casting time and functions like mages lightning bolt (with 25m range).

Soul Extortion has no casting time but is channeling (moving cancels it) - 25m range

Death Spell has no casting time (small spin animation) and is really only used to apply the debuff to turn mental breakdown and soul extortion to a pretty decent AOE skill.

Sacrifice has 2s casting time not 1s, and is your only 'KS' skill in Colo.

Immunity has a further 2s animation time (its really pretty though) so in total the skill takes about 3-4s to actually finish.

Other notes :-

1. The stats given by SM eq is similar to priest but they get less INT (and nothing additional more to compensate).

2. SM weapons have very sad MATK figures. A chaos dungeon SM weapon comes with 540 MATK and the doll about 90 MATK. A similar grade priest weapon starts at 730 MATK, while a sorcerer weapon starts at 900 MATK.

If you add (1) and (2) together it should pretty quickly tell you that SM's are very poor and at best mediocre DPS candidates even after awakening. However immunity gives them a unique 2-in-1 skill which heals and damages, so you can help out with both dps and heal but your main role is buff, heal support and helping out with the mobs with aoe skills.

Heh, thanks for the clarification, I was using RO2 base pre patch to look at skill attributes XD. This does change  lot. I'm considering how good at least 1 point in invulnerability would be as well as multiple points in cure as it scales on absolute healing and not magic attack (i'm assumign the increase ups the base but i'm confused how you worded this) Still taking multiple points in restore seams waste full due to sp issues but the 2 second cast time does pose a problem. Also soul extinction isn't as good as i thought it was, and mental break down + Death spell + Soul extortion are much better than I thought. Sacrifice is worse than I thought as just a ks move and at 2 second cast time.

Thanks for the update, I'm still trying to craft an ideal hybrid build so any more feed back on the quality of skills is much appreciated .

#7 feed3r

feed3r

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

The example provided by NuwaChan is accurate.

If I were to drop a hint I would say take a look at the importance of critical rate and you would find there's only a few ways to optimally build it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users