[FanFic] - .hack//Midgard (A Ragnarok Online 2 / dot hack Crossover) - Creative Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

[FanFic] - .hack//Midgard (A Ragnarok Online 2 / dot hack Crossover)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the mist...
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 23 September 2013 - 08:52 PM

First off, let me explain what .hack (dot hack) is, for those who are unfamiliar with the story. So as not to confuse anyone with personal perspective or biased opinions, I will paraphrase via the .hack Wikipedia page. 

"The series takes place mainly within The World, a fictional MMORPG published and maintained by the also fictional CyberConnect Corporation, known as the CC Corporation. Players interact with The World using virtual reality headsets called HMDs (Head-mounted display) and a gamepad. It is the creation of German programmer Harald Hoerwick, who created the first version, "Fragment", to help create his virtual daughter, Aura.

The World consists of a cluster of servers distributed around the world. When players log in, they materialize in the Root Town of the server they last used. Each server in The World has its own unique Root Town. They are the starting and ending point of any gaming session. In order to properly log out of the game, the player must be in a Root Town. Each Root Town has a Chaos Gate, a large revolving ring used to transport players to areas or other servers. To transport to an Area, a series of three keywords must be entered. These keywords determine such parameters as difficulty, terrain, and weather, amongst other habitat. Most keyword combinations result in a field and a dungeon.

Before the series began, Pluto's Kiss, a virus, caused a simultaneous crash of all computers and network control systems on the Internet that did not run on the ALTIMIT OS, which subsequently became the dominant operating system worldwide. The Twilight Incident, also known as Pluto Again, and the Second Network Crisis is the series of disasters depicted in the .hack//Games. It involves the massive blackout and system shutdown at Yokohama, which results in multiple car accidents, fires throughout the city, various other system malfunctions in other parts of Japan, and various players of The World ending up comatose. It is caused by the glitching Morganna System..."                                                               -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.hack

My story will be focusing on a particular story within the .hack franchise; .hack//SIGN. Again, I will post information to allow those who are unfamiliar to better understand the plot of my story.

".hack//Sign is influenced by psychological and sociological subjects such as anxiety, escapism, and interpersonal relationships. The series focuses on a Wavemaster (magic user) named Tsukasa, a player character of a virtual-reality massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) called The World. Tsukasa wakes up to find himself in a dungeon in The World, but he suffers from short-term memory loss as he wonders where he is and how he got there. The situation gets worse when he discovers he is unable to log out and is trapped in the game. From then on, along with other players Tsukasa embarks on a quest to figure out the truth behind his abnormal situation."                                                         -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.hack//Sign

As previously indicated, this story will be a crossover, meaning it will include aspects from the .hack and Ragnarok Universe. This project's lifespan will rely completely on the reader's reactions and overall interest in the story, so if you enjoy it, please +1 the original post via the Reputation system to show your support. The goal is to create an entire web novel, a full length chapter story with an in-depth plot and realistic, comprehensive character relationships. It will likely be released on a chapter by chapter basis with my intention being to release at least a chapter per week or so. 

But before I can begin, there is a bit of pre-planning that must be taken care of. To begin, the line between .hack and Ragnarok Online 2 must be drawn, and it must be unwavering and absolute; there can be no room for error or misrepresentation on my behalf, I do not intend to work outside the realm of plausibility and I cannot allow myself to stray from the core concepts that are in place. As of now the affiliation between the two is as follows: 

Prologue

Ragnarok Online 2 has been going strong for 5 years now, it's player base has increased by the thousands and the rise in popularity has inspired Gravity Corporation to push the envelope and cement Ragnarok 2 into the pages of gaming history. Rumors of newly discovered technology begin to reach the States, along with whispers of a new system Gravity has planned for RO2. More and more players log in to Ragnarok 2 and the game's popularity begins to exceed that of all of its competitors, and every player lies in wait, desperately clinging to the hope that these whispers are true...

And so they were. On July 9th, 2018 a notice appears on the RO2 message boards:

"Attention Players:

Rumors have been circulating for some time now that Gravity intends to implement a newly 
discovered technology within Ragnarok Online 2. Well folks, it's time to put those rumors to rest;

Because they are completely true. 

In 1 months time, Ragnarok Online 2 will go offline for a 3 month maintenance, at which 
time the game will resume--with a few considerable changes. I won't make you wait any 
longer, it's time to unveil what we've been working on for the last few years...

Total immersion virtual reality. You heard right people, not only will you see Midgard 
with your own eyes; it will be as if you are truly there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Regards,                                                                                                                       Hyun Chul Park / CEO Gravity Co, Ltd"

The boards erupt with excitement; thousands of new posts appear within the half hour, ranging from debates of the level of immersion, disbelief, and overwhelming joy...Every heart wishing that fateful day was today...

--------------------------------------

So there you have it. Please keep in mind that this is an example prologue, and is being used to describe the union of the .hack and RO2 worlds. More will be explained in the actual story, but for now this will have to do. For those who still don't quite understand the significance of this collaboration, allow me to explain the meaning behind the "Prologue". 

This is our world, our real world in the story. Set 5 years in the future, Ragnarok 2 has become a worldwide sensation, it's population exceeding that of any other game. With all of its success, the game's creators explore a new technology, turning RO2 into a virtual, simulation type RPG, allowing players to experience the game as if they were a part of it. The virtual aspect of the game in this story is tied to .hack, along with several other implementations that will be revealed in the future. 

That pretty much covers the basics of the story, now only one thing remains before I can get the ball rolling. 

You. 

The characters in this story are going to be Ragnarok Online 2 players within the NA server "Odin". I have a good idea of who I plan to include and what roles these individuals will play, and you may be surprised to spot your own character within the story, regardless of your relationship with me in-game or on the forums. There are a multitude of roles that need to be filled, whether they be a main character, supporting character, occasional character, or background character. Everyone who plays Ragnarok 2 is a possible choice. 

However, I do not want to impose on anyone's privacy, or unwillingness to participate in this project. Players I have selected will be contacted to verify their agreement, and those who refuse will be replaced. 

Oh, and one more thing! I am looking for a viable antagonist, "the bad guy". A player within the game that has the personality or mindset that could potentially fill this position; preferably an intelligent, calculating type of character--with a hint of malice. 

That about covers everything, feel free to comment, share your thoughts and opinions, or volunteer your services as a possible character or project contributor. PMs will be sent out by next Monday, so please check your inbox or respond to me if I whisper you in-game. 

Disclaimer: I do not own Ragnarok Online 2, Gravity Corporation Ltd, .hack, or any characters mentioned within this story*. Any similarities to persons living or dead are completely unintentional, with the *exception of Ragnarok Online players who have voluntarily supplied their characters for use in this project. 

Edited by ritsukachan, 23 September 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#2 ESeion

ESeion

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Now Gravity can make invisible fences on .Hack's "The World" as well.

Awesome.

#3 SoraOfKHK

SoraOfKHK

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1319 posts
  • Server:Odin, Channels 1-5

Posted 24 September 2013 - 02:20 AM

I think it's an interesting idea for a story, but honestly, with new devices like the Oculus Rift, I'd like to see MMOs allow the option to switch between Third Person and First Person views.

It's not exactly true Virtual Reality, but it is a start. If the headsets can be made compatible (and optional) for any MMO out there, not only will it result in MMOs providing an experience that allows the users to immerse themselves into the world of the games, but it will also promote future plans for Virtual Reality.

I kinda like stories based on the "what if" questions, and yours is no exception to that.  :p_smile:  I am actually working on a story based around what could happen with the storyline when the level cap hits 100. :p_laugh:

#4 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 01:07 AM

A good deal of the PMs have been sent out as of now, please check your inboxes and respond if you have received one. If you have not received one, I may still be contacting you shortly, or you may PM me to inquire about any roles that may still be available.

#5 Eespeon

Eespeon

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • LocationAldebarran Tables
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

then you should add Azure Knights to delete those pesky botters around.

#6 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:05 PM

For anyone who's still interested, this has not been forgotten. Lots of things came up recently I've had to deal with, but the first chapter is currently almost finished and will be posted soon. 

#7 Tiduspeco

Tiduspeco

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • LocationCanada
  • Server:Odin

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:17 PM

This should be very interesting :) Can't wait to see your first chapter. You have full permission to use my character if you so choose to.

#8 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 03:52 AM

I'm going to release the first chapter for those who were actually looking forward to reading it, but I doubt that I will post any more. 

#9 ritsukachan

ritsukachan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 359 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:59 AM

vxoz7a.png

Zanbee looked out across the vast desert wasteland. She’d seen the Sogratt desert hundreds of times, but the state of the art total-submersion software Gravity had just implemented made her feel as though she’d never truly understood its enormity. This is a sad, gloomy place. Zanbee longed for the scenic landscape of Verta Delta, the regal architecture of Prontera. She smiled, recalling the stunning imagery Ragnarok Online 2 had offered in its previous form, filled with excitement at the prospect of their newly developed beauty. Eagerly, she fumbled with her Player Controls, the newly designed “menu” system, her mind set on leaving this desolate place as quickly as possible. Why didn’t I pay attention when they explained how this works?  She snorted, and filed that advice away in the ever growing ‘Things-To-Do’ section of her brain. Aha! She thought triumphantly. A holographic ‘Area Teleport’ menu hovered at arm’s length before her, and without hesitation Zanbee frantically made a selection. The world shifted oddly around her as the redhead’s surroundings vanished before her eyes…

…and reappeared. She was no longer in the barren Sogratt desert. Her heart nearly stopped.

“Baphomet”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users