Can't access ftp server through IE - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Can't access ftp server through IE

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Lanister

Lanister

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

I am having trouble connecting to the ftp server with IE.  I have tried everything, from resetting IE to using a system restore to when RO was working.  Right now I am stuck at the failed to get patch error.  Chrome can access the ftp patch server, but IE can't.  Is there a way to manually patch RO?  Also is there possibly anywhere I can download a fully patched version?

Thanks!

#2 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 30 September 2013 - 11:35 PM

Unfortunately, if the updater can't even connect to the (FTP) update server, then you won't be able to make it source updates that you've manually downloaded. Copying someone else's client installation also isn't a viable option because you will encounter errors as soon as you miss an update that adds something new.

Have you tried all of the steps described in this thread?

#3 Lanister

Lanister

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yes I have done all of the items.

1: Configure any and all installed installed download managers to not integrate with Internet Explorer. (The credit for this advice goes to Ghen.)

I don't have any download managers. I checked and made sure nothing was integrated into IE, and disabled any additional add ons.

2. Scan for and remove any malware from your computer using anti-malware software such as Malwarebytes Anti-malware.

Scanned for Malware, it didint find anything wrong.

3.Reset your Internet Explorer configuration.

Reset my IE configuration, restarted the computer and tried again.  It didn't work.

4. Upgrade to the latest version of Internet Explorer. If the latest version is already installed, then uninstall and reinstall it.

Couldn't update/uninstall IE10 from windows 8.  Also there were no new options for patching IE 10.  Only thing was to disable/enable it, which didn't do anything.

I also tried enabling/disabling the options Enable FTP folder view and Use Passive FTP.

I also did a windows recovery, but to no avail.

Any other ideas?

Edited by Lanister, 01 October 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#4 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 01 October 2013 - 06:09 PM

Wow, you've been busy!

I'm afraid I don't have any more ideas. :( My guess would be that there is some software installed on your computer that is conflicting with Internet Explorer.

Have you ever been able to successfully update the client?

Edited by Axylus, 01 October 2013 - 08:15 PM.

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Yeah, this is one of the syndromes we don't know how to fix - I know there is a way to fix it, but when people sorted it out, they never posted how they did it here. Google searches imply that this is not an unheardof problem, but there are a million and one different fixes suggested. I'd start reading through those, and looking for anything that might apply. 

Please report if you have any luck. 

#6 Lanister

Lanister

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:03 PM

So I have been able to get Ragnarok Online to work by reinstalling windows, and haven't had luck with anything less.  I found out Chrome caused a problem when I installed it, and had to reinstall windows again.  Today I found out I can't patch again, so something I installed caused IE to not connect.  Does anyone know of an external patcher that doesn't check use the FTP?  is it possible to connect it to a different ftp client?  Is there any place online that allows downloads of a fully patched client?

Thanks

#7 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way
  • Server:Offline

Posted 01 November 2013 - 05:24 AM

CHROME:

This sounds like it may be a proxy problem. Yes, it's old and still not resolved bug.

Your best work around is to use an external download party like Internet Download Manager or Flashget Download Manager.

IE:

You try to access the FTP site from behind a Web proxy firewall such as the Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server firewall.
Folder view for FTP sites is enabled in the Internet Explorer versions that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
When you turn on folder view for FTP sites, the Internet Explorer client bypasses the Web Proxy and tries to send FTP connection requests directly to the Internet. This operation is unsuccessful.
RESOLUTION: To resolve this issue, turn off folder view for FTP sites in Internet Explorer:
Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box, click Apply, and then click OK.

Edited by ilovemilk, 01 November 2013 - 05:27 AM.

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 November 2013 - 06:19 AM

Chrome does not break IE's FTP access on it's own (the majority of people on this forum probably have chrome and IE). There's something strange about your setup that's causing this result. I'm honestly starting to wonder if there's a malware problem underlying this, with your computer being re-infected shortly after reinstalling windows by some other device on the network - have you checked that the computer is clean of malware? Try scanning with MBAM - www.malwarebytes.org/‎

CHROME:

This sounds like it may be a proxy problem. Yes, it's old and still not resolved bug.

Your best work around is to use an external download party like Internet Download Manager or Flashget Download Manager.

IE:

You try to access the FTP site from behind a Web proxy firewall such as the Internet Security and Acceleration (ISA) Server firewall.
Folder view for FTP sites is enabled in the Internet Explorer versions that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
When you turn on folder view for FTP sites, the Internet Explorer client bypasses the Web Proxy and tries to send FTP connection requests directly to the Internet. This operation is unsuccessful.
RESOLUTION: To resolve this issue, turn off folder view for FTP sites in Internet Explorer:
Start Internet Explorer.
On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
Click the Advanced tab, click to clear the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box, click Apply, and then click OK.

That's a really interesting bit about IE - give that a try, but I don't think it's the problem...

The chrome issue is not relevant - it doesn't matter if chrome can connect to FTP, what matters is whether IE can. 

#9 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • LocationWherever there's less bots.
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 03 November 2013 - 12:21 AM

Any updates about this? I still have that friend that can't play here because of this issue. @_@

Update: So I asked my friend to do what ilovemilk suggested, he said that it works in downloading the patches from the FTP server. The problem is, the patches don't get recognized by the client.

Edited by Lyrage, 03 November 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#10 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way

Posted 03 November 2013 - 06:27 AM

Any updates about this? I still have that friend that can't play here because of this issue. @_@

Update: So I asked my friend to do what ilovemilk suggested, he said that it works in downloading the patches from the FTP server. The problem is, the patches don't get recognized by the client.

That's good. Make sure that he downloads the right patches. He can find out which one he needs by going to his/her RO directory. Open up the Patch2.txt file to see which one last got patched. I suggest that your friend should re-download the entire client.

#11 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:53 AM

I've been giving him copies of my client for a couple of times already and this issue appears every time after iRO's weekly maintenance.

Could this issue be an ISP problem? D: Because when I let him use my mobile Internet, the client (surprisingly) patches.

But he can still play other international games w/ his own ISP, except iRO.

Edited by Lyrage, 03 November 2013 - 11:05 AM.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:55 AM

When you say they don't get recognized by the client, what do you mean? 

If that fixes the problem though, that implies that your friend is stuck behind a proxy being run somewhere (potentially at his ISP level or operated by the administrator of his home, university or corporate network). 

The fact the he can patch using your internet connection implies that it's not an issue on his computer, but rather his network... 

That's good. Make sure that he downloads the right patches. He can find out which one he needs by going to his/her RO directory. Open up the Patch2.txt file to see which one last got patched. I suggest that your friend should re-download the entire client.

Patch2.txt doesn't tell you anything - patch2.txt gets downloaded before anything else is downloaded. The number of the patch that's been last applied is in patch.inf, but that's only readable in a hex editor (notepad et al can't view it, and will trash patch.inf if you save it) 

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 November 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#13 ilovemilk

ilovemilk

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3452 posts
  • LocationMilky Way

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:10 AM

Patch2.txt doesn't tell you anything - patch2.txt gets downloaded before anything else is downloaded. The number of the patch that's been last applied is in patch.inf, but that's only readable in a hex editor (notepad et al can't view it, and will trash patch.inf if you save it) 

Don't know what you are talking about. Mine shows all of the updates along with it's dates.

#14 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Don't know what you are talking about. Mine shows all of the updates along with it's dates.

It contains a list of all updates AVAILABLE and whether they should get applied

It contains no information about whether any of those updates have been applied to your client. 

That information is stored as a 4-byte integer in patch.inf, with this value corresponding to the number at the start of the line in patch.inf containing the most recently applied patch

The fact that the patcher stores only the number of the most recently applied patch (instead of a list of all patches applied) is one of the reasons that we have so many patch problems on RO. 

When you patch, the patcher downloads the latest patch2.txt, and then sees if there are any patches listed that have a higher index number than the one stored in patch.inf, and then downloads any that are. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 November 2013 - 11:34 AM.

#15 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:46 PM

@DrAzzy

He was able to manually download the files from the FTP site but when we he runs his client, it doesn't know that he already has the files.

#16 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:54 PM

@DrAzzy

He was able to manually download the files from the FTP site but when we he runs his client, it doesn't know that he already has the files.

Hmmm...

If he's able to DL them manually in IE, it should work... (note that it must be able to connect to the patch server, otherwise it will not even look at files in the RO directory - for manual patch to work, you need to get to "failed to get", if it dies with "failed to connect to patch server" it won't look at manually downloaded files). 

So what does he see when he does ftp://ropatch1.gravityus.com in IE? (SS, please, or manual verification that what he sees is identical to, to what is seen from a system that's able to connect)

What kind of internet access does he have, anyway? (I'm starting to suspect that he's behind a proxy that breaks FTP, and which he may not have control over)

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 November 2013 - 12:56 PM.

#17 Lanister

Lanister

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:17 PM

I'm running Malware Bytes.  I have windows 8.1 installed.  Maybe there is some program I installed that could have affected it, but I don't remember making any changes between working and failing for the patching client.  I'll update once I know the results of the malware scanner.

Thanks a lot for the help.

#18 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 04 November 2013 - 09:28 PM

Lanister, are you Lyrage's friend, or are these two separate cases?

If you're the same person as the friend he's talking about, can you answer these?

So what does he see when he does ftp://ropatch1.gravityus.com in IE? (SS, please, or manual verification that what he sees is identical (not just similar) to, to what is seen from a system that's able to connect)

What kind of internet access does he have, anyway? (I'm starting to suspect that he's behind a proxy that breaks FTP, and which he may not have control over)

Edited by DrAzzy, 04 November 2013 - 09:29 PM.

#19 Lyrage

Lyrage

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 952 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:00 AM

These two are separate cases but very similar. Sorry for crashing in this thread. My thread got lost into oblivion months ago.

@DrAzzy

Still waiting for my friend's reply. Will post updates as soon as possible.

Edited by Lyrage, 06 November 2013 - 04:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users