Lag thats... not lag? Help out here please. - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Lag thats... not lag? Help out here please.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:32 PM

Ok first off, I know its not a lag issue, as in not your 'typical' lag. It LOOKS like lag (IE slow skill use, very delayed, location sync error between server and client, slow response to moving after clicks) BUT when I have homun out during the 'lag' I am experiencign, he INSTNATLY responds to commands (Moves to new spot, attacks diffrent target, etc) so I know its not a communication error between client-server.

I'll try to list, with detail, the issues I am experiencing.

First off is location sync is off. When  mob uses skills which knock me back or 'stunlock' me, the client cant' tell where I am, and i consnatly rubber band around, get stuck (Thinking im next to mob) not attacking then a second later the client realizes where I am and I bounce around abit, etc. Its most annoying with mobs such as cruisers who seem to staggerlock you AND knock u around, so a single cruiser takes a good 2 min to fight, even though I only need 2 hits to kill it.

second is skill 'delay' : Like when trying to aid pot self and/or homun, I'll spam it trying to heal intime then all that comes flooding in at once and I overuse 10-15 pots.

Third thign is movment, this is intown OR while fighting. The client takes a few seconds (AKA lag) to recongnize that i've clicked a diffrent cell(And sometimes if the cell is near edge of screen, not at all) and then i will move there. If I'm under attack at the time it takes even LONGER to register (I Almost think its a log issue, where for whatever reason I'm being bogged down because its still 'logging' data about my toon, but NOT the homun, although I can't find any logs ...)

Now during these 'events' When I command homun to move or attack HE DOES SO instantly, and damage is done to whatever mob i send him to, he takes proper damage, and he moves insatntly, its just my character who seems to 'lag' and I'd love to know how to fix this.

Anyways, thanks for helping if able(Hope someone has had this isssue adn fixed it themselves) And sorry for typing its late here, and work was brutal today.

#2 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

Give Lowerping a try. Google it and follow the setup process on their website.

#3 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 08:56 PM

LOL ok.. tried that, and all i can say is... No change..except NOW my homun lags a little now too :P

(Hes slower to respod or attack, etc. Before there was NO issue with commanding him, would attack instantly and switch targets just as quick)

#4 Beata

Beata

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1493 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:58 PM

Refer to this post and paste the tracert here when done. Make sure to omit the first 2 lines of the tracert for privacy (hop 1 and 2). Does this lag occurs on certain characters and maps?

#5 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:05 AM

I don't think omitting the first two hops is a ideal, because the times on the first two hops can be a red flag for router issues, and can also show unusual network configurations that might be related to observed issues.

#6 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I don't think omitting the first two hops is a ideal, because the times on the first two hops can be a red flag for router issues, and can also show unusual network configurations that might be related to observed issues.

Your partially wrong there. The first two hops are your own router, and often the router is set as a 'black hole firewall' in that it does NOT reply to pings, but allows passthoughs. The first is indeed your router and gives you your own ping(which as mine shows, is less than 1 ms, which is normal) and the 2nd ping will VERY OFTEN be 'timed out' simply becase it does not reply to the ping(It still passes though normally)

Tracing route to playragnarok.com [128.241.93.60]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  (Edited out my IP)
  2     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  3     9 ms    11 ms    12 ms  64.59.184.85
  4    36 ms    26 ms    30 ms  rc2sc-tge0-1-5-0.wp.shawcable.net [66.163.77.65]

5    45 ms    47 ms    48 ms  66.163.64.145
  6    45 ms    43 ms    46 ms  rc2so-tge0-0-1-0.cg.shawcable.net [66.163.77.9]

7    75 ms    72 ms    71 ms  66.163.70.250
  8    71 ms    72 ms    71 ms  66.163.68.70
  9    90 ms    89 ms    90 ms  xe-0-0-0-18.r04.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [198.
104.202.121]
 10   110 ms   107 ms    85 ms  ae-6.r21.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.4
4]
 11   118 ms   105 ms   108 ms  ae-5.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.3
9]
 12    97 ms   101 ms   114 ms  ae-5.r21.snjsca04.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.3
9]
 13   102 ms   107 ms   103 ms  ae-4.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.1
0]
 14   105 ms   111 ms   128 ms  ae-4.r21.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.6.1
0]
 15   109 ms   106 ms   105 ms  ae-2.r05.lsanca03.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.5.8
6]
 16   104 ms   111 ms   101 ms  portal.demarcation.gravityus.com [204.2.170.50]

17   103 ms   106 ms   101 ms  www.playragnarok.com [128.241.93.60]

Trace complete.

(I worked as a server admin for a small company, so I know a little about latency and ping and such, which is why this is a 'odd' issue - I even now today noticed I get 'lag' when feeding homun, as in i click to feed, but nothing happens, no error, etc, yet mobs can still attack us - turning off the lowerping allowed at least my homun to attack back, but Still when I click to move or attack either it just never happens or it is a very, very long delay. As in maps it happens? Ive noticed it everywhere, except where I'm afkin inside a house/etc in one of the cities. Although idk if I'd even notice there since there are no mobs or anything to affect it other than when I alt tab back to feed the homun)

Edited by AtmaDarkwolf, 18 October 2013 - 10:15 AM.

#7 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:51 AM

That is so weird...

I don't have a crisp understanding of what exactly you are seeing with and without lowerping...
Can you give like a step by step of what you see when you try to do something, and how it's different from what you see with homun commands? Also, when you say you are commanding homun, what command, and how are you giving the command?

Does the mouse otherwise work for controlling the game? Particularly, do left mouse button clicks work for controlling ui elements? There are some common issues with the mouse ignoring clicks.

(The reason I look at the first two hops is that sometimes the first hop is 500+ ms. It really matters if that starts at hop 1 or hop 3. Also, we've had a few cases of people behind multiple routers, without then realizing it, where one of the extra routers was causing problems)

#8 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Ya noticed the click ignoring thing, often, but just switchign windows then back to RO fixes it. (As in yes I've also had that issue but thats not what im refering to cuz i found a workaround :D)

The issue is.. example lets say one of the worse maps ingame ant hell or od 2 (Prob mostly cuz of the sheer mass of bots and afking merchants with homun spamming every possible spell lol) but after lets say, 10-15 min of me watching homun fight, helping him, looting, etc, I will notice that the time between when I 'click' and an action is taken grows. To the point where eventually nothing will happen. I cant' even exit game(Have to close client via task manager and re-open game) Even when (At this point) I go to feed homun and nothing happens (So i assume game error and re-feed, which results in double overfeeding) almost 5-10 min later. (IE the server registers I 'fed' the homun, so even after I relog i find that ive fed him four times rather than once) - Have to do a little complain session here because ive already lost 3 cards to bots because I 'cant' get my loot before the protection wears off, and a bot rushes over and stands ontop o fthe card till it can snag it. (God I wish u guys would actually do something about bots lol)

BUT: During this mess, MOST of the time, alt+Double r-click will send homun right to a mob, instnatly starts attacking and causing damage to said mob, and switchign (Manually) targets ALSO instantly results in 'action' BUT allowing the AI to do this(I have it set to rescue me, have diff mobs set as higher priority targets) she does react, as in she rushes over to the mob, and does the attack animation BUT NO DAMAGE is done for a good 30 seconds after she attempts to attack, but if I do the manual force command to attack, she will (And starts doing damage)

I've tried reinstallin the AI (Am using AzzyAI if that helps) but see no change. While I was using lowerping i noticed the homun was lagging (But was mostly 'normal' as in the lag was constant rather than just when letting the AI control her, and the lag was pretty equal between the two of us, unlike when not using it)

I found that this issue is less pronounced on 'non bot friendly maps' such as payon3(Munak, bongun, etc) and in glast heim. (So I assume it has somethign to do with bots and maybe some attempted 'bot fix' idk)

One more thing which I didn't mention but may help narrow down the issue, is when I've been on a map for an extended time (IE afking inside a house at work to feed homun each 10 min, on a map for an hour or more, etc) when I LEAVE said area, the game loads new area, but does NOT load homun then a few seconds later I get disconnected and have to relog in. (I noticed this quite a while back when I used to play almost 10 years ago on my monk when I hunted in an area for a very long time, like prisons, and exit the map, would DC me but a quick login fixes it again)

Edited by AtmaDarkwolf, 18 October 2013 - 12:57 PM.

#9 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

little update, just now, very shortly after the last post I made, i went into ant hell and a crowed of thief bots (All running in a row, all identical, all doing exactly the same thing at the same times, etc) kept passing me, and within 5 min of them being around, I was expericning the issue above but INSTNATLY, even relogging didn't fix(I could not move, pick up items, use bwing, etc)

The only way to get out was to log in and instnatly use a bwing as soon as my UI loaded, and even then I had to wait a good 30 seconds for it to work.

I really do think this is a bot issue,and I think its time the GM team decided to strap on the big boy shoes and crack down on them. HARD. As in delete thier accounts the second u see them, delete accounts of anyone buying zeny from them, and ban/block the addresses used to register(Even as far as to block entire domains of email addresses if a private domain is responsible)

This has gotten too far. No offense to anyone, but most of us who have jobs actually DO our jobs during the time we are working. Most of us :P

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Wait, does this only happen with your homun out? Just want to clear that up. There are several known ways that homuns can lag the client.

It is not a server or bot issue (not to say that the botting is okay, but it's not the cause of this issue). Other users are not experiencing this problem, so it's gotta be something client or network related. 

#11 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:52 PM

Well.. I can't say for sure if its only when shes out or not, but I can test this further. Its quite possible it IS homun related, and but being that she is my main form of killing things, it may take a while to test lol

#12 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:59 PM

Ok without homun out, most of the issues are solved(Still happens but much, much less noticiable) .

#13 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Do you have /traceai on?  It needs to be off, otherwise it will make the client lag really really badly after a short time. 

Also, if you're using AzzyAI 1.51 or later, please try setting LagReduction to true in the config tool (it's under Basic Options). 

Also, if you're using any version of AzzyAI, check the size of AAI_ERROR.log and any other AAI_* files in your RO folder. Large sizes indicate a potential source of lag (if the AI is logging lots of errors, writing the log file will lag the game)

Have you run the Leatrix Latency fix, or done the TcpAckFrequency thing manually? If you haven't done one of these (they're just different ways of doing the same thing) you should try that. Though I don't think it will solve it, it may improve things. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 18 October 2013 - 08:14 PM.

#14 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

traceai was off, lag red is on, and the log file is around 25meg(Ish) (25,842 kb)

And yes, did the leatrix latency fix last night, did the TcpAckFreq fix a while ago when I played WoT/DDO.

I feel in this case the logfile is pretty enourmous compared to the others. How to disable error writing or track down exactly WHAT the error is (I think it may be amitser trying to cast bulwark over and over even though she just cast it)

#15 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

What log files do you have? 

You can open them in notepad (though a 25mb file will take a while to open) 

The error is not from trying to recast bulwark; that isn't logged. 

#16 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:31 PM

ugh ok this is odd. Anyways it has (What i could see before it locked up, left it incase it was just 'eating' my ram but this makes no sense considerring I have 32 gigs of ram on this system lol) a lot of repeat 'attempt to move to location 0,0, which is 157 steps away from owner' etc etc.

::

10/16/13 00:35:17 H4    Attempt to move to location 0,0 which is 157 cells from owner, call disregarded
10/16/13 00:35:17 H4    Attempt to move to location 0,0 which is 157 cells from owner, call disregarded

(And so on, the seconds change but from the first 5-6 pages, it all happens inside 1 minute. I haven't gone though it all, but other than the first line, all are the same)

#17 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2013 - 01:28 PM

Well, that's why it's lagging, I think. Are you commanding it to move? The H4 indicates that it's in move command state.

I'm wondering why it's in that state though!

Are you using the latest version? I have fixed several problems recently that could result in the attempt to move to 0,0... But I don't think those were move state ones. 

In any case, you can turn off error logging in H_Extra 

Edited by DrAzzy, 19 October 2013 - 04:37 PM.

#18 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:38 PM

ok.. i deleted the logfile and it hasn't produced another. I didn't turn off the logging(or turn it on) so idk how or why it was on(Just to clarify, it SHOULD be the newest version since I've just returned to RO after a .. long while lol, so unless you changed the AI in the last week or so, I have the new one.)

Curious, hwo would I go about turning the error logging on or off?

(And no I was not commanding her to move anywhere, only do that when Im trying to mob, and it looks as if it was stuck in an infinate loop of trying to send to a spot at the very lower left corner of whatever map I was on...)

#19 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

ok.. i deleted the logfile and it hasn't produced another. I didn't turn off the logging(or turn it on) so idk how or why it was on(Just to clarify, it SHOULD be the newest version since I've just returned to RO after a .. long while lol, so unless you changed the AI in the last week or so, I have the new one.)

Curious, hwo would I go about turning the error logging on or off?

(And no I was not commanding her to move anywhere, only do that when Im trying to mob, and it looks as if it was stuck in an infinate loop of trying to send to a spot at the very lower left corner of whatever map I was on...)

Somehow MyDestX and MyDestY got set back to 0, but the homun didn't get forced from MOVE_CMD_ST - Not sure how this happened, but I'll try to trap that out. 

In homun extras:

--Uncomment this line to suppress AAI_ERROR logging. This should only be done as a stop-gap measure; if your AAI_ERROR log is filling up with messages, please report this to the developer. 
--LogEnable["AAI_ERROR"]=0

Delete the two dashes in front of LogEnable["AAI_ERROR"]=0 to disable AAI_ERROR logging.

So this still hasn't solved your problem has it?

#20 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:19 AM

changed --LogEnable["AAI_ERROR"]=0 to LogEnable["AAI_ERROR"]=0 at end of file. Tested for 1/2 hour ingame, I see less lag but it is 5am now here... can retest tommorow?

Edit : A few minutes alone (I think I was alone) on the staircase map(Windghosts and raydric archers) I found the stunlock/pos sync lag was horrible, had to conatntly flywing away because I could not move at all (Client thought I was next to mob, was 3-4 cells away, move and get weird rubber bandage, even homun was suffering this time, idk if its related)

Edited by AtmaDarkwolf, 20 October 2013 - 03:43 AM.

#21 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Does the problem happen if you don't leave homun out? Let's try to get this part settled. 

This is a VERY strange problem, not like anything I've seen in 8+ years of RO. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 20 October 2013 - 08:33 AM.

#22 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

The pos lag, sync error happens regardless, I think thats just typical latency, compounded when shes out, but it happens either way.

The other weird lagginess where it takes 30+ seconds(And sometimes up to 2 min) to 'react' to clicks: No, I can say that I'm pretty sure its only when shes out. With the lag reduction on (In AI settings) its far less of an issue(I left her out in pront while vending and checked every 20 min or so, and feeding/commanding her was 'instant' but this is in the city and not a map such as ant hell... so the lag reduction DOES help.)

When I can keep a better eye on RO (Not only every 10-20 min) I'll 'afk' at OD2 or AH for a few hours and leave it 'as is' with Lag reduction on and see how delayed the clicks are.

(Just to clarrify, while bad I do think that the sync problems can be eliminated from the possible issues with AI: I think thats simply bad latency, client just doesnt' recive location info from server fast enough)

#23 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:23 PM

Azzy: After reinstalling the AI a 2nd time and setting up the no lag thing(And changing the last line in the homun extras) and deleting the log file as soon as i logged in, I haven't had any lag at all(BTW the log file was created as soon as i logged in but it was only a few KB large)

I Think the issue is solved, and am not sure exactly what it was, but at this point I haven't experienced anything beyond the sync problem. (Which i am sure is not AI related)

I appreciate the help you gave. Thank you.

#24 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:19 AM

Nope, was wrong: 2 maps east of comodo, (Though cave) and 2 north(Though cave) Get the same lag, to the point i got pinged to death for 30 a hit though 10k hp... thats how long it took game to shut down after i was at 50% and unable to move(But was able to send homun around, again)

Same thing (But not as bad) on moscivia. Tried with homun away and it was slightly better but not enough to claim its all the AI's fault.

#25 AtmaDarkwolf

AtmaDarkwolf

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:42 AM

Back on this, am now using the most recent AI u have, and ive noticed some new oddities: First off, those stupid pumpkin people distract the homun and it ALWAYS goes for them first and either stands next to them doing jack -_-, or focuses all its attention on this stupid mob even ignoring direct commands to move or fight something else. It ignores the tactics and normal 'rules' completely but acts somewhat properly when none of the jakks are onscreen.

Also the problem where im suddenly being lagged like a mofo and each action takes 10-15 seconds to 'happen' (Yet homun acts normally) the homun, after the 'lag spike' is over(IE mobs dead, about 5ish seconds AFTER last mob dies) the homun tries to multi cast its buff like 5-10 times.

Would really like a fix for this, because at this point each death (And its very easy to die when you have to wait 10 seconds for a potion to land) costs me a great deal of time. And also at this point its just not feasable to leave the homun out (Intimacy gain) - please tell me what I can do to help track the issue down.

Edited by AtmaDarkwolf, 05 November 2013 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users