Teach Me! Professor Coffee! The (un)official RO2 raiding guide/hub - Ragnarok 2 Guides - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Teach Me! Professor Coffee! The (un)official RO2 raiding guide/hub

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

POPULAR

KNX7hwH.png

What is "Teach Me! Professor Coffee!"?
This thread is an idea I've had in the back of my head ever since I started the pet guide months ago, but never actually had the time to sit down and work it out until now. Basically, over the last couple of weeks, there's been a huge divide between the people who do raids normally, and the people who embus their way to end game gear. From experience, the players who abused embus are now lacking any common sense in how raiding works which is going to hurt them when the raid fix patch hits. On the other hand, a lot of the players who do raids normally stick to their own groups and very rarely, if ever, help out the rest of the community, including shunning the newer players who want to learn.

My goal for this thread is to create a middle ground between those groups, where the players who don't have the knowledge on raids can find what they're looking for here, where as the hardcore players can find exact numbers to make sure they can make every raid as efficient as possible.

The thread will have two things: The first part will be a general FAQ on how and what to do on raids for the newer players just getting into RO2 or MMOs in general, which every subsequent part will be a guide on how to go about each individual boss of every raid.

Remember that this will be a constant work in progress. I'll update as I go, but it's going to take time to complete.

Can I contribute to writing for this thread?
Ideally, I'd like to keep this thread to the guides I'm writing, however, I am open to having others gather information on raids such as HP markers, aggro ranges, drops, etc (though I'll be gathering most of this information myself over the next couple of weeks). I don't mind discussion in and about the thread, however I also don't want other giant guide posts cluttering the thread either, as it'll just be too much to scroll though. If you do want to write a guide and it's in another thread, I'll gladly link it in this first post in the index for everybody to see.

Will you answer my questions?
My IGN is MorbidCoffee (which you've probably already figured out by now. It not, surprise!). If I have the time I'll gladly answer any questions people have, but also keep in mind that I'll be busy trying to gather the remaining information I need to keep writing this guide, so I might not answer right away.

Best way would be to leave a message in my inbox on these forums and I'll get to it when I can.

Will you raid with me?
No. (Just kidding)
...but really, no.

INDEX
General Raiding Guide

Tier 1 Raids

Baphomet's Garden <NORMAL>
Lesson 2.4- The Decicive Battle! Duel with Baphomet!

*Credit to LTMage, Aeriae, Lachrin, AIert, TasiaReagle, Meluken, ZhaoYun for helping with testing Bapho N.

PvE Arena <NORMAL>

Baphomet's Garden <HARD>

PvE Arena <HARD>

Tier 2 Raids
Culvert of the Abyss <NORMAL>

Culvert of the Abyss <HARD>

Tier 3 Raids
Abaddon of Despair <NORMAL>
Abaddon of Despair <HARD>

Future content
Chaos Dungeon
Tomb of Osiris

Updates/Revisions
11/3/2013- Thread started. Initial Raid FAQ posted.(typo in gear progression chart is known. Will be making a nicer, more presentable image without the typos another day)
11/9/2013- Added guides for Minotaurs Chong-I and Hong-I. Intro post edited with names to the Bapho N guides as well as the names of players who helped in gathering information on the fights.
11/17/13- Humbaba guide added to Baphomet's Garden Normal

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 17 November 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#2 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

POPULAR

fPRbsi4.png

MZPIZkG.png

The following is the recommended gear progression for every class.
Zp88dEM.png
RHD, or Random Hard Dungeon should be your starting point. Thse will be the same dungeons you've run through while leveling, however, every mob will be scaled up to level 50. Bosses are also guaranteed to drop level 50 gear, though it's not guaranteed you'll get the drop for your class.

While it's recommended you have full RHD gear before raiding, It's not all that necessary. If you have a decent raid group, 3 or 4 pieces should be plenty to get you through your first raid. However, if you intend to ru with pick up groups, having a full set is better as you're not always guaranteed to be paired up with people who can do well.

Tier 1 raids include Baphomet's Garden and PvE Arena. Each raid, like dungeons, has both a normal version and a hard version, and similarly, the hard versions will have better loot. However, as a beginner, it's recommended you start with the normal raids to get used to raiding, as well as gearing yourself up to take the harder hits that come with the hard versions of each raid boss.

Running Baphomet's Garden will drop a pants token, a shoes token, and a class specific weapon. PvE Arena will drop offhand weapons for knight (shield), ranger (quiver), and soulmaker (handle), gloves tokens, headgear tokens, and shirt tokens. Both raids drop accessories.

Tier 2 only includes Culvert of the Abyss. While this also has a normal version, it's recommended that you don't jump into this raid until you're comfortable with, and suitably geared up from the hard versions of the tier 1 raids. Most, if not all the bosses in CoA are several times harder than what you've probably experienced before in the other two raids, and require you to have at least some common knowledge on how to raid effectively, and will suitably punish you for making stupid mistakes. As with tier 1, start with normal mode first, and move onto hard.

Unlike tier 1 gear, you will find every accessory and armor piece inside each version of CoA. Culvert Band will drop the gloves. Golden Robberbug will drop the pants token. Mini Mongi will drop the helmet token. Aromine will drop the chest token. Ratmaster will drop the shoes token, and a random class main and/or offhand weapon. Accessories will drop from both bosses and mobs.

Having matching pieces of CoA gear will give you a set bonus increase to certain stats such as dodge, parry, haste, etc. depending on how many pieces of the set you have equipped. You can mix and match normal and hard versions of the set and still retain the set bonus, however, they must be of the same armor set. You can not mix a tank piece with a DPS piece and get both benefits for having two pieces of armor.

Between CoA and AoD, you can choose to participate in Colosseum. While primarily used for PvP situations, the colo gear can also be used inside raids, and despite not having the set bonus you would get from CoA gear, the stats are much better and will provide you with more offensive/defensive ability than if you were to have full CoA. This set rests inbetween CoA and AoD in terms of progression, and you can start making progress on obtaining the gear as early as level 10.

Tier 3 includes Abaddon of Despair, and like the previous raid, it continues to raise the difficulty, though by time you unlock it you should be fairly comfortable and familiar with what to expect from raiding. Unlike the other raids, however, the normal and hard versions of AoD swap some of the boss positions around, with two being exclusive to their respective difficulties. However, like CoA, all gear will drop from each version of the dungeon, and only the boss who drops the gear will be different.

Similar to CoA gear, having matching pieces of AoD gear will give you a set bonus. While initially the numbers may look smaller than what the CoA set is giving you, remember that CoA only gives you a % increase based on your current stats. AoD, on the other hand, will give you a flat increase regardless of what you had beforehand. It'll add up in the end!

Crafted gear info will be edited into this post later on.

9WpVaGe.png

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 03 November 2013 - 10:46 PM.

#3 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:20 PM

POPULAR

FEC14mB.png

DhybTJM.png

Starting a raid is very similar to starting a party. However, now that you and your friends are level 50, you have access to a new option when forming a party.
FEejgZz.png

Clicking on form a raid will change your party window into a raid window as seen in the following picture:

NeJ3qXS.png

Ideally, the recommended raid composition is two tanks (Main Tank and Off Tank), about 4 DPS (range dps or melee dps), two support classes, and two healers.
C4oVI5M.png
The Main Tank role can be played by nearly any of the tanking classes: Knight, Warrior, Beastmaster, and Monk. While some classes are slightly better than others in terms of tanking, it's all a matter of preference and any of them are more than capable of filling the role of main tank. Their job is simple, keep threat on the boss you're fighting, and try to keep the boss facing away from the raid group at all times.

The Off Tank role, like the main tank, can be played by the same four tanking classes, however the difference in ability to offtank is much larger than what's required to main tank. Warriors and Knights are much better at off tanking than Monks and Beastmasters, however, this isn't to say Monks and BMs are incapable of the job. It all comes down to personal preference in the end, and skill will greatly outweigh what your class is capable of doing.

A majority of the Off Tank's job is to control the adds that spawn from the boss, and serve as a back up tank in case the Main Tank happens to die for whatever reason. There will also be some fights that require the MT and OT to swap threat.

DPS is fairly simple: You are the main damage dealers. You hit fast, you hit hard, but you're also super squishy. Regardless of whether you are a ranged DPS (ranger, wizard, or sorc), or melee DPS (rogue, assassin, crecentia, and in some situations, some of the tanking classes). 

A good DPS will be able to effectively switch between dealing damage to the boss, and clearing out adds fast to protect their raid group depending on the situation and which takes priority over the other in the fight.

The Support role is primarily for Sorcerers and Soul Makers. As the name implies, your role is to provide the group with extra healing or extra damage depending on whats required of you in the situation. It's possible to place priests in this spot as well, but remember that unless the player is specifically a battle priest, you'll be losing out on some DPS if your party is lacking.

Ideally, your role as support is to make sure you, the DPS, and the healers stay alive.

The Healing role is primarily for Priests, though there are situations where a Full Support Sorcerer can do decent, if not just as well as a priest in certain situations. Most of the time, the healers are going to focus on keeping the tanks topped off in health, while providing support for the rest of the group where needed.
w4qLDXZ.png

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 03 November 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#4 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:27 PM

POPULAR

LWnPl4I.png

XmnHOqI.png

Every raid usually has a set of "loot rules" that everybody follows in order to ensure that everybody has a fair chance of getting some reward out of a raid rather than wasting their time for nothing. While not written in stone, these loot rules are more of a guideline to make everybody happy and cause less issues and drama among the community when pugging a raid:
  • 1 token and 1 accessory per person. Weapon drop is a roll between whichever players of that class need it (if there is only one and they need it, it goes directly to them). 
  • If no players need the armor or weapons, it becomes a free for all roll among the entire raid group to break down for elunium/oridecon and mysterious crystals.
  • Cards are a bit tricky. Cards from trash mobs are generally trash, however, boss cards are valuable, and once you get into CoA and AoD and start having card sets, rules will need to be set in order to ensure that no one player recieves all the rewards while another player gets nothing unless both parties agree to it. Ideally, as the master looter in charge of distributing the loot, I would recommend allowing only one card per person per run, and in the later raids, only allow players who need the card set to roll on those specific cards.

Simply put, melee and ranged dps don't need card sets that give INT, where as spell casters do not need card sets that need STR. It's only fair for classes that need those stats to roll for those cards. But in the end, it all comes down to who actually needs the loot or not.

xivNfOX.png

There are multiple loot settings you can set in order to control loot distribution:

FEejgZz.png

Unset: If you don't set any of the loot options, looting will pop up with a box with Need and Greed buttons. Rolling need gives you priority over the others, though playing with the settings can allow you to make it so only classes who can use the loot can roll need, while everybody else can only roll greed. Only recommended if you trust everybody in your group.

Free For All: Having this option set will make all loot first come, first serve to whoever can loot the body the fastest. This is generally frowned upon, and there should never be a reason to have this option with the exception of very rare cases.

Round Robin: A bit confusing, and generally unused. This will make all loot go to one person starting from the raid leader, and then all following loot will go down the list in order of who accept invitation to the raid before the others. Recommended to skip over this setting and not use it.

Master Looter: This is the most common, and widely accepted way to set loot options for a raid. With Master Looter set, whoever is delegated the ML will be the only one who can pick up loot from the bodies of defeated mobs and bosses, and will also be the one in charge of distributing the loot to the raid group.

There are a few steps to being a good master looter:

Step 1: Let everybody know what they'll be rolling for.
Simple. Just link the token, accessory, recipe, or whatver your group will be rolling for in chat so everybody knows. Just open your inventory, and alt + click on the item in order to link it in chat for everybody to see.

Step 2: Have the raid group roll on the item.

OfW27Cj.png

Just as if you were to roll on something without any loot rules set, it's only fair to roll on items a master looter is distributing as well. Simply type /dice 100 (or whatever number your ML would like you to roll with, though /dice 100 is the most common and accepted way to roll for loot). The player with the highest roll (which will be seen in the system messages) will be determined and the loot will be distributed.
REMEMBER: If you are locked out of a raid, you will not be able to recieve any tokens, weapons, or accessories even if you win a roll. You can still win cards and recipes though. 
5tg4fqo.png
You can check your raid lockout through your character information window. Simply click on the tab on the right side near your armor, and a new window should pop up listing all the raids you've completed.
QUeN55N.png

You will also be reminded of this when you try to enter a raid you've already completed.
I6qF8tx.png

REMINDER: If you're hosting a raid, make sure you don't have bosses locked out. Whether a boss appears in a raid or not depends on whether or not the raid leader has completed that boss fight at any time during the reset period. Example, if the raid leader has beaten Baphomet, and somebody in their group hasn't, Bapho will not spawn for the group. However, if you switch the roles around, even if the former raid leader finished Bapho, if the fresh player is the raid leader, Baphomet will spawn for the group.

As for raid resets, they reset every Wednesday and Sunday morning at 6 am server time (PDT).
4WxNpy7.png

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 03 November 2013 - 11:51 PM.

#5 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

POPULAR

b79FuZY.png

bQfFC7P.png

As you complete raids, you'll start to gather tokens that you can turn into better gear depending on which token you have. There are a few things to notice about tokens:

Color
There are three types of colors for tokens, and each one represents which classes can use them. 

Yellow (Threatening) tokens are for Knights, Rangers, Sorcerers, and Soulmakers.
Red (Immolating) tokens are for Beastmasters, Wizards, Warriors, and Rogues.
Blue (Cold) tokens are for Monks, Priests, Assassins, and Crecentias.

Appearance
GFefTxa.png
Example of a normal mode token. Notice the lack of a star in the upper left corner of the token image.

There are two types of token icons. A regular token represents a drop from a normal raid dungeon, and must be turned in to the dungeon grader with <NORMAL> next to their name. A token with a star represents a drop from a hard raid, and therefore must be turned in to the dungeon grader with <HARD> next to their name.

Name
Each raid has it's own specific gear, so you can't just turn in a token from Baphomet's Garden to the dungeon grader that gives you AoD gear.  The second word is how you can determine which dugeon grader to turn your token in to:

Defender is for Baphomet/PvE Normal
Oppressor is Baphomet/PvE Hard
Conqueror is Culvert of the Abyss Normal
Dominator is Culvert of the Abyss Hard
Subjugator is Abaddon of Despair Normal
Ruler is Abaddon of Despair Hard

All the dungeon graders are in one centralized location in Prontera, however, they're spread out all around Alberta. The locations of each can be found in the following locations:

Prontera Token Graders
HuwPKGp.png

Alberta Bapho/PvE Normal
qTkhsKI.png

Alberta Bapho/PvE Hard
hA82ypO.png

Alberta CoA
oVJ1iV3.png

Alberta AoD
ADRAzs0.png

5EuDZ25.png

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 03 November 2013 - 08:28 PM.

#6 Meluken

Meluken

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • Locationin the ocean
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Odin

Posted 04 November 2013 - 05:31 AM

so cute coffee <3

#7 NuwaChan

NuwaChan

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 08:11 AM

Before doing Rhds. Talk to a NPC named Brueghel in Divided Plain (and follow the

quest path) to make the Brygan Ore quests active, this way bosses will drop Brygan Ore

that you can refine to open COA, doing this means you are multi-tasking and saving time.

Edited by NuwaChan, 05 November 2013 - 08:27 AM.

#8 Vau

Vau

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 939 posts
  • Location.
  • Server:.

Posted 04 November 2013 - 04:11 PM

Professor Coffee!!, Professor Coffee!!

+1 Rep <3

#9 Rukaroa

Rukaroa

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 658 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 04 November 2013 - 06:05 PM

Wait...you're not Boobie Lady :p_omg:

#10 VolunteerMod09

VolunteerMod09

Amateur Blogger

• VMod Retired
  • 483 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 07:02 PM

This thread is amazingly cute xD

Amazing guide!

#11 Kiryu

Kiryu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2092 posts
  • LocationLily of Elon -Crystal Desert
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows - GW2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:25 AM

sticky please, this make me day <3

#12 VolunteerMod09

VolunteerMod09

Amateur Blogger

• VMod Retired
  • 483 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:24 AM

This thread deserved to be pinned.

#13 raela

raela

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 784 posts
  • LocationUSA
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online 2

Posted 05 November 2013 - 06:37 AM

Very nice guide - looking forward to see what you add. :p_hi: Since you have links to other helpful guides, I feel this might be worth including.. the video for Humbaba H was extremely helpful in learning how the fight is not as bad as everyone makes it seem. http://forums.warppo...s-video-guides/

#14 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:10 AM

So much love for this guide (ღ˘⌣˘ღ) Made that week I spent putting what I have together worth it.

I'm currently working on getting everything together to get most of, if not all the guides for the  Bapho N fights done by this weekend. Just throwing the reminder out once more that I know a majority of people don't have trouble with the easier raids and just want info on the later content, but give me some time. I'm trying to cover as much as I can for everybody.

Very nice guide - looking forward to see what you add.  :p_hi: Since you have links to other helpful guides, I feel this might be worth including.. the video for Humbaba H was extremely helpful in learning how the fight is not as bad as everyone makes it seem. http://forums.warppo...s-video-guides/

Added under the Tier 1 Raids section.

Edited by MorbidCoffee, 05 November 2013 - 08:21 AM.

#15 xxLily

xxLily

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Server:RAWRRAWRLAND

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Such a cute guide, MOAR PLEASE!

Will you introduce more "characters" for lolfactor?

#16 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:12 AM

Will you introduce more "characters" for lolfactor?

I'm not against the idea. We'll see what happens.

#17 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:54 PM

Great work O___o!

+1 to every post

uhm, you didn't speak much about the Victory Point Tokens tho.

Edited by Leinzan, 05 November 2013 - 02:55 PM.

#18 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 02:58 PM

Great work O___o!

+1 to every post

uhm, you didn't speak much about the Victory Point Tokens tho.

Already pointed out to me when having some guild mates look over the guide. If there's enough demand for it I'm more than willing to make a part 5 going over their use.

#19 Leinzan

Leinzan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 04:55 PM

Well, yea I did read it and you do mention the Dungeon Grader, even placing the NPC location. Not really the most important thing ever but it is true that Victory Point I != Victory Point II != Victory Point III != Any Gear Token.

They have a slight different mechanic O___o;;

#20 CodeBlue92

CodeBlue92

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

Good Job coffee Nice guide. Ever since the embus exploit some people got rusty doing legit raids, and some new players didnt even get the chance to experience these legit runs. I hope they read this when embus is nerfed 

#21 Telovi

Telovi

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 09:15 PM

Informative and easy to process guide.  I like the direction where this goes , which clearly throughout eliminating any chance,  a newly 50 level player from being  mistreat as greenhorn or mistaken as finagler.

#22 AikaFuwa

AikaFuwa

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 04:02 AM

Awesome thread! Nice job coffee! =D
Now I can link this thread whenever newbies have questions about raids. Thanks!

#23 Njoror

Njoror

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1936 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:59 AM

Uhh.. Question.

iExaUtr.gif

What happens if we already ate the token?

#24 MorbidCoffee

MorbidCoffee

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:16 AM

One of these days, Njoror.

VHgjX4.gif

One of these days

#25 Njoror

Njoror

Too Legit To Quit

• Retired
  • 1936 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

One of these days, Njoror.

VHgjX4.gif

One of these days

Mark-Wahlberg-Confused-In-The-Happening.

So, do I eat the phone to get the token out?

I don't get it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users