IF Ragnarok Had a USA town/maps... - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

IF Ragnarok Had a USA town/maps...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

what would it look like? what monsters would it have? what would the field maps/dungeons look like? what about its MVP? Remember that Ragnarok is mainly based of mythology and the monsters in the various locations are based on monsters from a  regions mythology... i think a USA are would be tricky since the country is so large and its terrain is so varried from place to place... personally id like to see alot of Native American influences and have monsters such as thunder birds, jersey devils, bigfoot, RouGarou and wendigo .... its MVP should be the trickster Coyote...

#2 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:43 PM

To fit in with the RO Setting I always imagined a big city map with saloon, and hotels.. think of a more built up Wild West Town. Then the field maps could be scrub land with quest npcs who are peco peco ranchers. The dungeon could be a lousiana style swamp with gator's, water moccasins, and bears. The MVP could be themed after a famous bandit or outlaw.

#3 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:46 PM

I did have a thread on this way back when with illustrations...now where might that be...

I originally though a wild west town would be idea, but now I think a New Orleans kind of city would be a little more unique. 

#4 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:48 PM

I did have a thread on this way back when with illustrations...now where might that be...

I originally though a wild west town would be idea, but now I think a New Orleans kind of city would be a little more unique.

Well, why theme the whole thing after just one area or segment of our population? Were a big country, each map should be taking you on a journey through one part of our country so that everything is presented.

#5 Majikero7

Majikero7

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Doesn't Einbroch already fill the Wild West Theme? It has trains, gunslingers and the (industrial polluted)desert.

#6 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

You could have a NOLA themed town, with merchants and NPCs from different parts of Rune Midgard, a Mardi Gras event, pirates, a Bayou field map and a dungeon taking place inside a dilapidated stern paddle wheel boatMTS_Fergie_F-1330249-TheRescuers-BayouPa

#7 KriticalAssassin

KriticalAssassin

They pay me to post.

• RO Fungineering
  • 9313 posts
  • LocationBehind you?
  • Server:Chaos- Renewal

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:06 PM

You could have a NOLA themed town, with merchants and NPCs from different parts of Rune Midgard, a Mardi Gras event, pirates, a Bayou field map and a dungeon taking place inside a dilapidated stern paddle wheel boatMTS_Fergie_F-1330249-TheRescuers-BayouPa

Just use the ship in the middle of malangdo :P

#8 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

what would it look like? 

Disneyland.

#9 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:44 PM

Not that I want to be a pessimist here, but look at kRO's general disdain for us outside of lining their pockets. I don't see them desiring to create a map area based around the USA.

If there were one though, it would probably be based on one of the big 3 in the US (LA, Chicago, New York), and likely look like a combination between einbroch, lighthalzen, and pront.

#10 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:45 PM

Giant Gator monsters drop beignets and you can drink chicory coffee to regain SP. Explore the "ghost house". Xydeco and Dixieland BGM music!

#11 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

To fit in with the RO Setting I always imagined a big city map with saloon, and hotels.. think of a more built up Wild West Town. Then the field maps could be scrub land with quest npcs who are peco peco ranchers. The dungeon could be a lousiana style swamp with gator's, water moccasins, and bears. The MVP could be themed after a famous bandit or outlaw.

That would be awesome!

#12 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

Oh, and one of the monsters would need to be "Bigfoot". I dont know if other regions have crazy stories about this legend, but boy have they been pushing this bigfoot monster theory alot recently.

Edit - Actually to add to that, we'd need another couple monsters too. The "Banker" and the "Politician", both of them are a brute type and should have sprites that look like trolls. One adorned in riches and jewelry, and the other just downright butt ugly, both of their idle animations can be them stepping all on smaller innocent locals to that region while lighting a scroll on fire in their hands.

Yeah, I think that would do it.

Edited by Tkwan, 13 December 2013 - 05:37 PM.

#13 Campitor

Campitor

Darned Forever

• RO1 Production
  • 11063 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

The MVP could be a giant Blue Bull/Oxen

#14 rinlen02

rinlen02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationThe U.S. State with the King's Guard
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Automatically, I think of giving Jawaii a dark side. Everyone thinks of Hawaii as a vacation spot, so why not showcase some Hawaiian mythology? Plus Hawaii is a gathering spot for all sorts of people, so it could have a large variety of monsters.

Original Monsters:

Undead/ghost sugar cane workers (Names depend on the map they're on. I'd go on a whole tangent on why, but you probably don't want to read about it.)

Angry Menehune

Mongoose

Mamo (a type of bird)

'I'iwi

Leiling (Poring with a lei.)

Night Marchers (MVP) (comes in 2 varieties: Chief and Diety. The main difference between the two is the size of the torches and the presence of Hawaiian gods)

Ancient Warrior

Ancient Warrior's Spirit (Normal spawn, summoned by Night Marchers)

Borrowed Monsters:

Nine Tail

Cendriliwash

Kappa

Goat

Bongun

Munak

Tikbalang

Tiyanak

Manananggal

Thief bug

Horong

Mao Guai

I'm thinking it would have a main town map you get to via a ship from Izlude, Alberta, or Jawaii. Then there would be a few village maps you can get to by npc. I, for one thing, really want a Lei visible garment with this map as part of a quest reward. The two birds in the monster list are part of a quest involving getting the chief's headdress and cape ready for a special ceremony. (1000 Red Feathers, 2000 Yellow Feathers, 500 Feather of Bird, 500 Feathers. High EXP reward, rewards a Faux Chief Headdress as well.) An NPC in the main town will take your Pineapples and change them into Pineapple Slices (restores a little more than a yellow potion) if you have a knife (any knife) in your inventory. Another NPC would guard the Ghost Plantation (night map) instance, which is basically open fields and living areas full of the angry spirits of plantation workers. It's separated into four areas consisting of sugar cane workers and their families that look like NPCs from Port Malaya, Amatsu, Louyang, this new area, and Rune-Midgarts all in separate areas (the ones from Rune-Midgarts are boss monsters who are essentially overseers for each area). In a regular field map, MVPs known as Night Marchers roam around and summon mobs of Ancient Warrior's Spirits to battle against the foolish adventurer to confront them. The Ghost Plantation (day map) fields have monsters from all sorts of places (see borrowed monsters list above) due to the influx of people hired by the corporation (I'm thinking the usual Rekenber) to work there.

#15 Kadelia

Kadelia

Rainbow Sparkle, Go!

• Members
  • 14312 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA
  • Server:Chaos/Renewal

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

My understanding was that Einbech/Einbroch WERE the Westerner/United States influenced town. Based on our industrial revolutionary period in the USA and north europe.

#16 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

the names of einbroch and einbech as well as their industrialization always made me think of Germany

#17 Baturiano

Baturiano

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 3058 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

should have lots of guns and jets flying everywhere MURRICCAA!!

#18 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:57 PM

'MERICA!

#19 HopeSama

HopeSama

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationIn my secret Paradise...
  • Server:Re-Chaos(Ymir/Loki)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 05:58 PM

pollution going down wind to their civilians? greedy corporations doing pretty much whatever the heck they want? sounds like america to me :3

#20 Baturiano

Baturiano

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 3058 posts
  • LocationToronto Canada

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:07 PM

'MERICA!

#21 HopeSama

HopeSama

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 763 posts
  • LocationIn my secret Paradise...
  • Server:Re-Chaos(Ymir/Loki)

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

(beware, language! ahhh 'murica)

#22 Ambur

Ambur

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3403 posts
  • LocationNevada
  • Server:Yggdrasil

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:49 PM

with mcdonalds and starbucks

#23 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:56 PM

I thought Lighthalzen sums up the USA very well: poverty, the rich, and secret government conspiracies.

#24 Rythen

Rythen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:RE:Start

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

0Ezt4cK.jpg

#25 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

If they would go with the wild west theme I'd say go with Deadwood.  A lot of history and legends.  A quest line could deal with Wild Bill and Calamity Jane.  I'm not sure what would make a good dungeon though.  Mining was big in that area, but there already is a couple mine dungeons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users