Classic - Rip Van Winkle Syndrome - Ragnarok Online Community Chat - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Classic - Rip Van Winkle Syndrome

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Classic

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:03 PM

Greetings RO veterans!

Always late to the party, I just discovered that the Classic server exists legitimately (rather than on private servers), and so I made an account and started playing this past weekend.

I played iRO (Chaos) intensely back in the open and closed betas, and for a few months after it went pay-to-play - before I lost my account in the Great Gravity Database Compromise of 2003.  :p_cry:

Returning now, even to Classic, it's a whole new (and intimidating) world for me. My deeply beloved hometown of Payon has changed considerably.

I feel like I've slept for a hundred years, and now everyone I knew and loved is dead. It's rather lonely.

Towards that point, I am looking for some community.
I've spent a few hours perusing the forums, but I'm not seeing a dedicated community forum for the Classic server. I figured this was the best place to post.

I'm having a tough time getting myself equipped, but many of the guides on how to earn zeny (or gain exp) talk about things I've never even heard of, or which are way out of my league and level range (seriously, I'm still just a few days old).

The basic equipment I want (straight from NPCs; no cards or upgrades) means I need about 12-15k for each character, just so I can feel like I'm fully-dressed and reasonably-armed.

Based on what I've seen, that's nose-wiping pocket change for most people, but it takes a desperately long time to earn through jellopies and shells and feathers and roots and spores, when you haven't even got decent armor yet.

One evening, I lucked out and was able to follow some bots around near Alberta and collect a haul of drops they left behind (I didn't dare try to fight anything there at my level), and managed to make a fair dent on my equipment needs for one character. Still working on the other two.

Back in my days, I never even made it to second job (though I was close - twice - before the wipes for second beta and pay-to-play), and I don't think I ever even got above base level 50. :heh:  I am a social person, and spent more time talking and exploring than leveling.

Back then, even before the introduction of guilds, there was a thriving community, and lots of people banded together in loose associations of interest, and you could chat people up at random and make friends fairly easily. This is what I crave.
Is there anyone else out there who remembers the old Merchant Guild, and the Prontera Parish?

I'm ok with leveling slowly; I have no urge to rush to a higher level, but that seems to present an obstacle for me in terms of finding people to play with.
I see people on the forums post things like "I'm just a newbie, level 70", and I wonder what that makes me, still base level 20-something.

I have seen other "young ones" around me, first-jobbers, but they all seem to be bots, or at least uninterested in replying to a greeting or a heal thrown their way.

From what I've been reading, nobody takes it slow anymore. It's uncool to be a first-job longer than a week or two, and nobody will give you the time of day if you aren't already in a guild.

Does this mean that I'm unlikely to find any "peers" of similar level range to interact socially with, or party with?
Do I have to rush-grind to change to a second job before I qualify to make friends and meet people?

Honestly, I don't mind grinding away slowly for levels and for money, if I didn't feel completely alone.

The smaller population on Classic means that no matter where I go (for hunting), there aren't a lot of people around. Especially in the recommended spots (culverts, payon caves, etc.)
It feels very lonely.

Are there any social groups active in Classic which are not merely WOE/MVP guilds?

Or do I just have to suck it up and grind away solo until I'm decently-leveled a second job, and then try to go where all the big boys and girls go?

Is there a place for a person like me, who still has an almost painfully nostalgic attachment to my old RO life?
A person like me, who isn't in a hurry to reach level 99, or be accepted into an elite guild?
A person who just wants to play at her own pace, but not be all alone in the world?  :puppyeye:

#2 Izzy1

Izzy1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationU.K
  • Server:Chaos Renewal - Smokies

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

From what I'm reading, Renewal would probably be your preferred choice in all honesty. There's lots of guilds that aren't pure WoE/MVP etc. some are just socialites like yourself that like to grind and party with each other. Not in a hurry to level up beyond their means and mostly sit around and talk all day.

I can't say much for Classic as I only have one character on there, and I myself found it boring beyond words.

Classic is (in my opinion) one of those servers for people who want to play alone.

Renewal is a vibrant social community that would more easily cater to your needs

#3 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

Thanks for the tip.
I guess I'm afraid of Renewal, because it's so different from the world I remembered and loved.
Also, I hear that the spam is nigh-intolerable.

In ancient times, when I played iRO, I was against private servers because they were against the rules and detracted from Gravity's ability to fund and support the game. 
Years later, in nostalgic desperation, I actually tried a couple private servers, but then decided I was against them because they were incredibly lonely and boring places to be, with such small populations, of highly-insular cliques of people. I had to play alone.

I love the World we have, but not enough to play all by myself. Probably because all of my best experiences and fondest memories center around the people I met, not the grinding I did. Revisiting familiar places with no one to share experiences with makes me feel like a wandering ghost.
If that's really all I have to look forward to in the Classic server, I guess I may have to think hard and reconsider my trepidation about Renewal.

#4 rinlen02

rinlen02

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 251 posts
  • LocationThe U.S. State with the King's Guard
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 17 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Renewal would probably be better for someone like you. If ever you need help, I'm happy to help any new or returning player. Right now, if you haven't yet, you can do the Eden Group equipment quests to get Eden group equipment free of charge. I'd say it's a good investment. Mine lasted until I changed into my 3rd job and I still use some parts of them as spares just in case (like if a monster breaks my weapon/armor. Eden equipment is 0 weight after all). There's quite a demand for Stems and Poison Spores in Renewal if you need zeny. Spam-wise, it's tasty with rice and wrapped in nori...wait, you're talking about zeny spam? Well in that case, you can edit the nospam file in the application directory. Just copy a few phrases there and voila, no zeny spammers. At least until they figure out it was edited. You can also set up your chat so that if they PM you spam, it will show up in a different tab instead of a new window so you can just ignore it. In all honesty, I wanted to play Classic too, but the population there was so low I couldn't possible see a way I could get the stuff I wanted for my characters. In Renewal, there are a lot of people selling in Prontera and leveling elsewhere. Ever since this game came out on Steam the population got a jump, which means it's a lot easier to find people to level with.

#5 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:05 PM

Thanks again for the input.
Maybe I'm just being too weird about it... I don't know how I can accept a crater in the sand where Morroc once was.  It's one thing to see the world expand and new lands become revealed, but it's disturbing to see the old one obliterated.

:wah:

I guess I'll give it a try and just find a way to cope.

Edited by jenkat, 17 December 2013 - 04:06 PM.

#6 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10262 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:09 PM

I believe that eventually there will be an update that starts partially repairing Morroc, but I think whatever server you choose there are some very helpful people from the community who would be happy to help you out!

#7 waka

waka

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 498 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

game mechanics are obviously different for C and R.  on C, exp is a hard grind all the way through 99.   on R the hard grind starts at around 120+   The key differences will be updates and new content only arriving on R.  C will get updates to pre-Renewal...  If you miss Morroc it gets rebuilt in a couple of updates (it's been updated on KRO). R will get level caps raised to 160 then 175 base and 60 job.  C .. you will always be the 99/70 bio/LK/MS/HP/HW/etc...  

Some folks really like the game play on C so it's all good and folks on the forums on either can help.  It is good time to try both and see which you like better with the 2x exp and Christmas right around the corner.

Edited by waka, 17 December 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#8 jake0619

jake0619

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 17 December 2013 - 05:28 PM

Come to renewal, it's more friendly game/social-wise to newbies. 

#9 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'm sure this sounds lame to some, but I wasn't interested in content updates; I only wanted to return to the land I knew and grew up in. The updates are what put me off.
Mechanics, monsters, music, the world in general being so different from what I knew before....
Obviously there is a demand for a classic RO, hence the existence of the server (and the existence of private servers catering to the same audience); I guess I just hoped the audience would be a little bigger.

#10 CaptainJim

CaptainJim

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Server:RE:START

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Don't give up hope on Classic just yet.  I recently have returned to RO myself and am also looking for some people to play with, and while the community may be a bit sparse, I'd still prefer it to the mess Renewal has turned Chaos into.

I've been there myself and the changes go against what made RO so unique and fun to begin with, in favor of the modern MMO styling of being forced to level in certain areas or you get penalized with lower exp gains, and relying on quests for the most efficient route to higher levels.  Not to mention Chaos is pretty saturated with MVP cards and God items at this point with how long the server's been running, while there is a larger community you'll quickly see you'll never really catch up with most the people you'd want to be able to party with.  I still have a good amount of gear that, a few years ago would have been considered pretty good, but has fallen to the wayside by now.

Feel free to PM me, and if I'm not at work or otherwise busy perhaps I can give you a hand to get started, I don't have a ton of cash myself but I do have a Blacksmith that can DC some NPC gear at the very least.

#11 kschamp

kschamp

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yeah don't give up hope on Classic.  I'm also looking for a community that is just around to even talk to on there.  I was even thinking of trying to make my guild I have for my alts into a Non-WoE type guild for people that want to party or even just play solo and talk, or sit in town and talk.  I don't know, I just miss the old "Sit and do nothing until WoE comes along." Then again not everyone's for woe.  But I do enjoy fun conversations while I sit and do nothing, level, or just cruise around old places.

I can't seem to find renewal enjoyable at all, it's far too boring for myself and I don't see woe entertaining one bit.  But yeah, if you want you can toss me a PM any time!

The two characters to reach me at would be ::
David Allan Coe

Makarov Dreyar

#12 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 06:41 AM

I can hook you up with some Zeny if you can manage to find me online.  I'd most likely be on Akintunde or Jaffer.

Today would be your best bet, around 6:30 PM Central, since I'm going to be TKMing a few chars to 99/70, so try PMing Jaffer or Method or just PM me on the forums.

#13 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:29 AM

Wow, it's nice to see a counterpoint also offered, and I appreciate the outpouring of goodwill expressed here!

I did create a character on Renewal last night, but after an hour, I am still muddling my way through Izlude. The lag I experience is incredible. This may be in part due to my laptop (which, interestingly, I noticed ran a lot hotter on Renewal than on Classic).

Jaffer, Your generosity is appreciated. Let it be known that I am not here to beg or freeload, and if someone felt inclined to grant or loan a poor aco a handful of zeny, she'd be forever grateful, but I am a woman of modest needs, so don't be too generous, please. Friendship is more important than stuff,

I probably won't be able to jump on until shortly after 6:30 Central, but I'll drop you a friendly greeting when I arrive.

Mother Phoenix - Aco (main)

Iron Mouse - Swordie

Raharu -Thief

All that being said, someday (zeny permitting) I'll likely build a social guild myself, but based on Emperium prices, that'll be a long way off.

Edited by jenkat, 18 December 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#14 Jaffer

Jaffer

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1349 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Well you can just specify when I'm on.  We probably have different definitions of a "handful of zeny".

#15 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

I have very small hands.  :ani_swt3:

#16 kschamp

kschamp

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1208 posts
  • LocationCalifornia.

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I have very small hands.  :ani_swt3:

+10

#17 TamSE3P

TamSE3P

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Hit me up on Renewal Chaos. REmotion is the name. You can find my Sura at south prontera most of the time. I'm usually on 24/7, being able to play iRO while at work helps :P. I'll definitely give you assistance and a small handful of zeny/equips if need be to get you moving in this new world.

#18 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

I can get away with some hijinx at work, being the IT director, but unfortunately, installing RO client and playing from here is not among the liberties I can reasonably get away with. I'm envious of you!
And thank you for your guidance.

#19 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:18 AM

if you run around prontera west inn behind the tool dealer I might help you out a little if im not sleepies

#20 Panteperu

Panteperu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:47 AM

I think it is not uncool to be 1st job for a long time, is just, the game have changed so much back from 2003 that it is not necessary to remain first job for more than a couple of days to job 50. (if you know where to go / get some help / spend some money).

It is also hard to find an active guild who would not be woe focus.

Since i like enjoying the game my way, and that mean, slow leveling, make zenny, chat, and sit at pront a lot, i can tell is hard to find people who share these likes.

I joined a guild just so i have someone to talk with. Even thought there are only a couple of people on most of the time and they dont talk much.

Dont give up classic, and also i suggest you not to join a woe focus guild. 

Sooner than later you will find yourself in a pretty decent reborn char which you didnt get to enjoy or play much since you rushed/got rush to 99, for woe's sake.

Try to play it cool, go to different dungeons, and find parties to level up with (small ones are the best 2,3 people) and make friends and zenny in your way to 99

That at least, is the thing i enjoy the most.

#21 Tribe

Tribe

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 728 posts
  • Server:Freya

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:49 AM

Renewal is trash. if you need gears/items east,south or west pront and ask.

#22 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

It's so strange to me, to hear about not staying first job longer than a few days. I guess it's because I spent basically a year and a half as a first job. I thought it was only on private servers with ridiculous exp rates that you could level to job 40 or 50 in a few days (or a few hours, in some cases).

#23 Panteperu

Panteperu

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Server:Ragnarok Transcendence

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

Truth to be told. You can job 50 in 30 minutes O_O

1 mercenary fencer lvl 10 scroll in anubis map (sphinx lvl4) + HE battle manual and a hidding clip.

With enough zenny you can even get to 99 in a matter of hours. 

Then rebirth and repeat to lvl 90 rebirth class. 

It IS possible, expensive but possible, thought is not something i would suggest to you.

#24 TamSE3P

TamSE3P

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

The biggest reason that THAT is the case, is because in original classic, you only had 99 levels. In renewal, and even in classic which has transcendent classes, that exp has just been "stretched" out to alleviate the grind. Getting to your first 99 in renewal/current classic can take you 1-3 days because it was like getting to level 45 or so in the very original RO. Just do a quick google search on "Ragnarok Online Base Exp" and look at the different Exp charts available.

Edited by TamSE3P, 18 December 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#25 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Truth to be told. You can job 50 in 30 minutes O_O

1 mercenary fencer lvl 10 scroll in anubis map (sphinx lvl4) + HE battle manual and a hidding clip.

With enough zenny you can even get to 99 in a matter of hours. 

Then rebirth and repeat to lvl 90 rebirth class. 

It IS possible, expensive but possible, thought is not something i would suggest to you.

Good grief  /swt

TamSE3P

The biggest reason that THAT is the case, is because in original classic, you only had 99 levels. In renewal, and even in classic which has transcendent classes, that exp has just been "stretched" out to alleviate the grind. Getting to your first 99 in renewal/current classic can take you 1-3 days because it was like getting to level 45 or so in the very original RO. Just do a quick google search on "Ragnarok Online Base Exp" and look at the different Exp charts available.

Hmm, I thought it was kind of weird that I was getting >20 job exp from a spore...

Edited by jenkat, 18 December 2013 - 12:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users