Top 7 Reasons New Players Quit - Proposals and Suggestions - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Top 7 Reasons New Players Quit

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 ottavit16

ottavit16

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:38 PM

1.  I Can't See Anything!

Chat. Boxes. Everywhere. Stepping into Prontera or the Eden Group the first time should be a "WOW" moment for a new player.  Well it is, but only because it feels incredibly difficult to find NPCs or even move around.  Loading these two maps in particular are the biggest strain on the game client, for a game meant to run on 10 year old machines. 

Corrective Action: The mini map is labeled now, and there's a nav system.  However, short of dedicated/instanced "vending" maps or an auction hall system, the boxes are going nowhere.  Raising the vend limit would decrease the amount of chat boxes in Eden, but is still only a band-aid to the real problem.  Hell, an entire website is dedicated to tracking vendors in Prontera/Payon, functioning as a third party Auction Hall anyways...

2.  I'm So Lost!

Questing.  Around 2003, players had to settle for pure grinding in most MMOs they played (see Maple Story and Lineage).  I soon realized the only way to get quests done in a reasonable amount of time was to follow internet guides or more experienced players.  Cryptic NPCs, vague (and sometimes incorrect!) descriptions, poor rewards - soon, you'll find it's much more efficient to grind.  I'm sure some players are fine with figuring the quests out on their own, but I'd wager the majority just want to "level up and get cool stuff".  The quest system is counter intuitive in this regard. 

Corrective Action: While an overhaul of quest rewards would be nice, I'm sure it's an incredible amount of work.  Rather, in the quest log, I would suggest a location (map and coord) of your next destination at the very least.  Possibly an expandable menu detailing the steps in the quest and total rewards.  The Eden Group quests were a great step forward in this regard, but aside from gramps or gear quests still aren't really worth doing. 

3.  Doesn't Anybody Want to Play With Me?

Sometimes I forget I'm playing a multiplayer game.  While I do love that soloing is completely viable in Ragnarok Online (for most classes), at some point it'd be nice to play with other people.  Sure, I've done Gramps Turn In parties, Endless Tower runs with my guild, but that's it (aside from PVP which is it's own beast).  Sometimes I've found myself in grinding parties, but typically the reward isn't worth the effort.  No content really requires a party, and I'm okay with that.  But there isn't much incentive to make one, either. 

Corrective Action:  I don't see any remotely easy fix to this either.  Shy of a complete overhaul, an in-game menu where people could advertise their parties (purpose, level range, classes needed, etc) and advertise themselves as available for parties would be extremely helpful. 

4.  Dem's Fightin' Words! 

I love to kill players.  Lots of people do.  It's the primary focus for many games, and with good reason - it's FUN.  After I get the hang of a game's mechanics, I like to test my latest skills and gear against other players from time to time in a somewhat balanced/competitive environment.  The only thing I've seen that remotely resembles this is the War of Emperium.  And even there, to make it "balanced/competitive" you'd better be level 150.  And have good gear; preferably a new set geared towards killing other players.  This isn't even talking about god items or mvp cards - I don't see how anybody could call PVP in RO "fun" without first investing hundreds of hours (and/or dollars) into the game.  That's completely unreasonable. 

Corrective Action:  Just announced battleground revamp system.  Hopefully it works.  Players should have a way to both practice group v. group fighting, and a way to earn that PVP-oriented gear.  It should also have to have a balanced rewards system; if it's more efficient to get KVM badges through other means, then the incentive to actually PVP will be near nonexistent. 

5.  What's the Maximum Level Now?

Well, it's 150/50 of course!  Unless you want to play Gunslinger or a Taekwon class. Well, what about this "rebirth" stuff, with it's extra stat bonuses?  Oh, it's only available to the six main classes?  Who cares about class equality - as long as you're not a Ninja, Gunslinger, Taekwon, or Super Novice.  At least Ninja and Novice can get max level - Taekwon and Gunslinger will be stuck at 99 until their third jobs are released (possibly never for Taekwon).  But it's okay, there's at least an in-game warning when you decide to become one of these classes right?  Yeah... I'm familiar with class/skills balancing, but completely obsolete playable classes is ridiculous and unprofessional.  

Corrective Action:  I can completely point at kRO for this one... and again, I don't see any easy solution.  You could allow all classes to rebirth at least.  Also, the job change npcs for these classes could warn the player.  But no, let's go spend more time on the web than actually play the game. 

6.  Awesome Gear, Bro!  Oh Wait...

A minor gripe, but another instance of job/class inequality.  Rune Knight ,Guillotine Cross, Warlock, Arch Bishop, and Ranger get this cool exciting gear system after level 100.  In fact, each class gets multiple different sets for different builds!  They can all be enchanted and benefit from upgrades, too!  The Mora gear system is a really neat and worthwhile option for many third job characters.  What, you play Royal Guard, Shadow Chaser, Sura, Sorceror, Minstrel/Wanderer, Geneticist, Mechanic, Kagerou/Oboro, Super Novice, Gunsligner, or one of the Taekwon classes?  Too bad, you're not playing the right character to experience this game content. 

Corrective Action:  Duh.  I know there's been some "band-aid" solutions, but really every class should have Mora gear.  How hard could it really be?  "Well if they rush it, it could be useless or imbalanced" you say?  See "White Wing Set".  And useless is better than nothing.  However, I'd also guess this could only be done by kRO. 

7.  Where's All My Friends?

The completely dated friend and guild system.  Most players I know play multiple characters - so if they're not online with the character you became friends with or are in a guild with, you'll never see them.  So friend/guild all of the characters!  ..hmm, well it appears you can only have a few dozen guildmates or friends per character anyways.  The result - mostly empty friends lists online guild members. 

Correction Action:  Easy.  Remove limitations for # of friends/guildmembers, or allow people to add entire accounts as friends (that might be difficult actually).  Add an "online status" option, so you can still "hide" if you don't want to talk to your 'mates or friends at the time. 

Flame away.  I'm apparently pretty bored today.

#2 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

There is a pvp room too. You can get into it through the inn in pront.

#3 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

#renewalproblems

#4 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:47 PM

and there is an in game party announcement system... people just dont use it... people just dont feel the need to party most of teh time outside of TIs...

#5 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

2. 3. and 7 apply to all servers, not just renewal or classic, or iRO.

4 partially applies to classic. The only reason god items and mvp cards aren't in super abundance making pvp unbalanced like on renewal is because it lacks players.

#6 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:55 PM

2. 3. and 7 apply to all servers, not just renewal or classic, or iRO.

4 partially applies to classic. The only reason god items and mvp cards aren't in super abundance making pvp unbalanced like on renewal is because it lacks players.

That's sort of ignorant.

3 applies more to renewal than it ever could to classic, due to the breakdown of support classes and teamwork.

7 just shows the age of the game.

regarding 4.... god items don't afflict classic that way because.... they just don't! btw, I own 6 WoE 1 and 10 WoE 2 god items, get at me.

#7 Xealix

Xealix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
  • Server:Classic

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:04 PM

The god like items don't effect classic because the ones that exist are ether not being utilized or are very poorly executed.

#8 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:05 PM

That's sort of ignorant.

3 applies more to renewal than it ever could to classic, due to the breakdown of support classes and teamwork.

7 just shows the age of the game.

regarding 4.... god items don't afflict classic that way because.... they just don't! btw, I own 6 WoE 1 and 10 WoE 2 god items, get at me.

You said its renewal only problems. I said some issues affect both servers, and a couple all versions of RO (courtesy of kRO's stubbornness mostly, but that's besides the point). You agree'd with me on all but 4 (while posting your defense of classic, but none the less in agreement that it exists as an issue), and yet still say it's ignorant. :questionmark:

#9 Xealix

Xealix

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:07 PM

You said its renewal only problems. I said some issues affect both servers, and a couple all versions of RO (courtesy of kRO's stubbornness mostly, but that's besides the point). You agree'd with me on all but 4 (while posting your defense of classic, but none the less in agreement that it exists as an issue), and yet still say it's ignorant. :questionmark:

lol you need to understand who you're talking to

#10 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:14 PM

I think these are all valid criticisms, but many of them seem to only become applicable at higher levels, so I'm not sure it really explains why new players quit.
In my opinion, the social fabric of a virtual world is the key thing which keeps players playing.
All the levels and gear you can acquire seem empty when you have no one to enjoy your time with.
I think one thing which is vital to keeping new players interested in staying, in spite of balance problems and other frustrations is providing them with people they want to return and spend time with.
A warm and welcoming reception into the world goes a long way towards building a new player's morale enough so they can tolerate the other annoyances and still have something fun to look forward to each time they log back in.

#11 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

lol you need to understand who you're talking to

I'm completely aware who xellie is, and her position within the community and her personality. Despite that, I will still show respect while debating with people. Your posts are both full of bitterness with a twinge of malice. I'm not on your side or hers here.

Edited by Tkwan, 12 January 2014 - 02:16 PM.

#12 DamiaN468

DamiaN468

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:15 PM

1. I agree those chats inside Eden should be a little more organized but I think it shows how many players are dealing with mid-high tier equipment which is a plus IMO.

2. I agree completely. However Ep14 listed all available quests in the Quest Window so we could expect someone could do the same for the quests from older episodes.

3. This has always been a problem on any server. We could encourage people to use the Party Recruitment window, though.

4. Access to PvP can be found inside the Prontera Inn.

5. I think they have a reason behind this... which would be for players to experiment the various jobs until they hit the right one.

6. Maybe you are right but it isn't important. If I'm not mistaken, RK, Ranger, WL, AB are the most played classes since the very beginning (their 2nd Non Trans. Jobs) and are easy to level too. There are reasons as to why they are so easy to level and the others are harder.

7. Agree completely.

However I think the biggest problem that makes new players quit is the lack of parties outside TIs.

Edited by DamiaN468, 12 January 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#13 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

1.  I Can't See Anything!

Chat. Boxes. Everywhere. Stepping into Prontera or the Eden Group the first time should be a "WOW" moment for a new player.  Well it is, but only because it feels incredibly difficult to find NPCs or even move around.  Loading these two maps in particular are the biggest strain on the game client, for a game meant to run on 10 year old machines. 

Corrective Action: The mini map is labeled now, and there's a nav system.  However, short of dedicated/instanced "vending" maps or an auction hall system, the boxes are going nowhere.  Raising the vend limit would decrease the amount of chat boxes in Eden, but is still only a band-aid to the real problem.  Hell, an entire website is dedicated to tracking vendors in Prontera/Payon, functioning as a third party Auction Hall anyways...

2.  I'm So Lost!

Questing.  Around 2003, players had to settle for pure grinding in most MMOs they played (see Maple Story and Lineage).  I soon realized the only way to get quests done in a reasonable amount of time was to follow internet guides or more experienced players.  Cryptic NPCs, vague (and sometimes incorrect!) descriptions, poor rewards - soon, you'll find it's much more efficient to grind.  I'm sure some players are fine with figuring the quests out on their own, but I'd wager the majority just want to "level up and get cool stuff".  The quest system is counter intuitive in this regard. 

Corrective Action: While an overhaul of quest rewards would be nice, I'm sure it's an incredible amount of work.  Rather, in the quest log, I would suggest a location (map and coord) of your next destination at the very least.  Possibly an expandable menu detailing the steps in the quest and total rewards.  The Eden Group quests were a great step forward in this regard, but aside from gramps or gear quests still aren't really worth doing. 

3.  Doesn't Anybody Want to Play With Me?

Sometimes I forget I'm playing a multiplayer game.  While I do love that soloing is completely viable in Ragnarok Online (for most classes), at some point it'd be nice to play with other people.  Sure, I've done Gramps Turn In parties, Endless Tower runs with my guild, but that's it (aside from PVP which is it's own beast).  Sometimes I've found myself in grinding parties, but typically the reward isn't worth the effort.  No content really requires a party, and I'm okay with that.  But there isn't much incentive to make one, either. 

Corrective Action:  I don't see any remotely easy fix to this either.  Shy of a complete overhaul, an in-game menu where people could advertise their parties (purpose, level range, classes needed, etc) and advertise themselves as available for parties would be extremely helpful. 

4.  Dem's Fightin' Words! 

I love to kill players.  Lots of people do.  It's the primary focus for many games, and with good reason - it's FUN.  After I get the hang of a game's mechanics, I like to test my latest skills and gear against other players from time to time in a somewhat balanced/competitive environment.  The only thing I've seen that remotely resembles this is the War of Emperium.  And even there, to make it "balanced/competitive" you'd better be level 150.  And have good gear; preferably a new set geared towards killing other players.  This isn't even talking about god items or mvp cards - I don't see how anybody could call PVP in RO "fun" without first investing hundreds of hours (and/or dollars) into the game.  That's completely unreasonable. 

Corrective Action:  Just announced battleground revamp system.  Hopefully it works.  Players should have a way to both practice group v. group fighting, and a way to earn that PVP-oriented gear.  It should also have to have a balanced rewards system; if it's more efficient to get KVM badges through other means, then the incentive to actually PVP will be near nonexistent. 

5.  What's the Maximum Level Now?

Well, it's 150/50 of course!  Unless you want to play Gunslinger or a Taekwon class. Well, what about this "rebirth" stuff, with it's extra stat bonuses?  Oh, it's only available to the six main classes?  Who cares about class equality - as long as you're not a Ninja, Gunslinger, Taekwon, or Super Novice.  At least Ninja and Novice can get max level - Taekwon and Gunslinger will be stuck at 99 until their third jobs are released (possibly never for Taekwon).  But it's okay, there's at least an in-game warning when you decide to become one of these classes right?  Yeah... I'm familiar with class/skills balancing, but completely obsolete playable classes is ridiculous and unprofessional.  

Corrective Action:  I can completely point at kRO for this one... and again, I don't see any easy solution.  You could allow all classes to rebirth at least.  Also, the job change npcs for these classes could warn the player.  But no, let's go spend more time on the web than actually play the game. 

6.  Awesome Gear, Bro!  Oh Wait...

A minor gripe, but another instance of job/class inequality.  Rune Knight ,Guillotine Cross, Warlock, Arch Bishop, and Ranger get this cool exciting gear system after level 100.  In fact, each class gets multiple different sets for different builds!  They can all be enchanted and benefit from upgrades, too!  The Mora gear system is a really neat and worthwhile option for many third job characters.  What, you play Royal Guard, Shadow Chaser, Sura, Sorceror, Minstrel/Wanderer, Geneticist, Mechanic, Kagerou/Oboro, Super Novice, Gunsligner, or one of the Taekwon classes?  Too bad, you're not playing the right character to experience this game content. 

Corrective Action:  Duh.  I know there's been some "band-aid" solutions, but really every class should have Mora gear.  How hard could it really be?  "Well if they rush it, it could be useless or imbalanced" you say?  See "White Wing Set".  And useless is better than nothing.  However, I'd also guess this could only be done by kRO. 

7.  Where's All My Friends?

The completely dated friend and guild system.  Most players I know play multiple characters - so if they're not online with the character you became friends with or are in a guild with, you'll never see them.  So friend/guild all of the characters!  ..hmm, well it appears you can only have a few dozen guildmates or friends per character anyways.  The result - mostly empty friends lists online guild members. 

Correction Action:  Easy.  Remove limitations for # of friends/guildmembers, or allow people to add entire accounts as friends (that might be difficult actually).  Add an "online status" option, so you can still "hide" if you don't want to talk to your 'mates or friends at the time. 

Flame away.  I'm apparently pretty bored today.

completely agree with you on most points. #1 wouldnt make anyone quit, albeit it annoying as -_-.

2- the quest system is -_-. 10 years and theyve written so few quests and the quests they do have, were never updated for renewal, so most of them give TERRIBLE rewards for insane amounts of work (camp midgard is a -_- joke). it makes you really wonder wtf they do with their time at gravity offices. this should be someones job at warp portals HQ in orange county to get all content up to date with renewal, but they seem to have noone assigned to keeping up with this game other than Oda and occasionally campitor.

3- the major problem is the HORRIFIC entrance quests to do anything and the lack of warpers. take 'nidhoggers nest' instance dungeon for example. you have to complete like 10 prequests that make you want to stab your eyes out just to even enter, which is really sad because this is a fun group activity you can do every 3 days with your guild. awesome grind places like nameless island have prequests that make you want to punch babys and rip your hair out till theres nothing left but a bloody bald head. and then what happens after youve done allllllllllll the prequests? noone else has, or theyve only done it on 1 character thats already retired or max level and doesnt need to level anymore. so youre right back to square one of not being able to find anyone to do anything with. its not a matter of lazyness. its a matter of the time and effort is simply not worth it when you can just do a ti and gain 5 levels in the time it takes just to unlock one of these stupid zones. they need to remove the stupid prereq quests for most dungeons/instances since theyre outdated and give -_- rewards anyways. 

4-pvp needs a complete overhaul. i really wish warp portal would step in and do something about it.

-needs new maps. the current maps are -_- and no where near ideal for pvp combat

-spawnpoints IN the pvp maps. i mean seriously, is it really that hard to just add random spawn points into the pvp maps? its absolute bull-_- that you are ejected from pvp as soon as you die. this is 100% of the reason why pvp is dead in this game. people simply dont wanna put up with the bull-_- of having some leetkid 1 shot pwn them then have to walk all the way back, repay an entrance fee, walk through another loading map, and then have to load screen another map, just to get back in. and also you should respawn with 100% hp. its pretty -_- coldblooded to just dump someone off at a kafra with no life, just cuz they died in pvp. pvp should have no real world consequences (other than armor break. there should also be an armor repairmen in the pvp maps)

-material consumption should be free in pvp. the fact that you have to pay money to attack is a complete joke. instead of promoting pvp for everyone, theyre basically saying 'only the rich can participate'. who the hell wants to pay all that money for acid bombs just to kill players for no rewards?

-poor rewards. the current badge rewards are pretty stingy for the amount of work involved. its 100x easier just to spam god seal quests and eden badges. basic pvp has no point either. 

5-they never shouldve raised the level cap to 150. they shouldve done it in small increments as they SLOWLY implemented all the updates of Renewal instead of just trying to launch 1 giant failure of an unfinished patch and expect it to work out. some classes arnt even equipped with skills that can get themselves to 150 and have to rely on other classes like a crutch to LEECH them (or grind horribly slow and lose their minds in the process). taekwons are completely broken now. they never even updated the taekwon quests to appropriately fit Renewal, so a lvl 50 receives a quest to kill lvl 135 monsters now. seriously...wtf. another thing theyre famous for is completely nerfing a skill and then never balancing other skills for that class to justify the nerf. they completely ruined performer classes by nerfing severe rainstorm but never buffing metallic sound or any other skill to justify the nerf (or changing the requirement so that you can use an instrument to cast it instead of bow)

6- it completely pisses me off that there isnt mora sets for all the classes. mechanics got completely shafted in this game. they gave us 1 custom weapon (thats so insanely hard to get btw that it boggles the mind) and thats it. seriously how -_- lazy is gravity that they couldnt finish making all the sets? its like they dont even acknowledge that anyone plays anything other than ranger, ab, and warlock. ive said it before and ill say it again:

they shouldve made the mora sets available in Camp Midgard since thats the level appropriate range for that gear. makes no sense that its only for sale in a lvl 130+ zone. this wouldve allowed them to create a more updated higher level set for players in the actual 130+ level range. it wouldve also encouraged more people to go out and level in the real map

7- agree agree agree. 10 years and they havnt even touched the friend system or attempted to make it better in any way. the chat boxes are -_- and the lack of account adding is depressing as it makes keeping friends hard. as for the guild thing, thats something thats unavoidable. even blizzard never figured out how to get around this in world of warcraft. keeping an active guild is all about offering incentives to keep people interested in playing that particular character. and even then, its hard to get some people interested enough to join the rest of the guild for adventures. some people are just stubborn,lazy, or just join guilds to have a guild logo and never even talk to anyone the entire time theyre in the guild. i got people in my guild that have never once joined a guild event and the only time they say anything in guild chat is when theyre trying to buy an item

#14 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

2.  The only way to truly fix this is to completely overhaul the entire underlying quest system.  When they first implemented a quest window years ago I thought it would properly show every quest you have started, the step you're on, and a clear explanation of what you're supposed to do.  But alas, no.  It only worked on quests started after it was implemented and I think even to this day, there are still a lot of old quests that don't function with it.  Plus, journal entries frequently bug out.  The new quest system seems to build on top of the old system leaving it with many of the same flaws.  The new quest window seems to have a lot of good functions but they only seem to fully work with the newest quests.  Hopefully the quickly work to add all previous quests to it.

From what I understand, a lot of the quest system problems come from the fact that the quest system was slapped on top of the original programming and not originally part of the game.  Ideally, the way to fix it would be to rewrite the entire quest system from the ground up.  It would allow for fully functioning quest indicators, perhaps easier quest programming, and the ability to abandon quests (I have multiple event quest entries that are stuck forever)

However, I'm assuming doing that would require a complete rewrite of the entire server program.  At the very least they should go through every quest and go over all the exp rewards, make sure all quests work in the current quest window system, rewrite journal entries to make sure the next objective is easy to understand, and rethink some of the item hunt requirements to make them a little less obnoxious.

At the very least can the put the npc back in that clears out old event quest entries and fix the Nid. quest so that it can actually be completed?

6. It can't be that hard to create new gear.  Headgear is the only part that requires any graphics to be made.  Every other gear piece is just a couple entries in a database file.

Edited by Talvis, 12 January 2014 - 06:33 PM.

#15 candyZ

candyZ

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 544 posts
  • LocationMother Earth
  • Server:Valkyrie

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

#renewalproblems

#classicthingofthepast

#16 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 12 January 2014 - 07:43 PM

Im just going to say this: I love classic and renewal but classic should never  have happend.

Why?  reason #1 all the quest npcs at maps should never have left. Eden should have been scaled down. Gramps shouldnt even exist. And in all honesty i like that gravity or warpportal take ideas from playes but if they listen too much we get this. A classic vamp system that should never left renewal, and a renewal vamp system that should have never that should have never fallen to kiddie mode. i dont want to seem like a gripe but this is what i think.

#17 thatfool

thatfool

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:20 PM

theres nothing to do on classic.....

#18 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 08:23 PM

Im just going to say this: I love classic and renewal but classic should never  have happend.

Why?  reason #1 all the quest npcs at maps should never have left. Eden should have been scaled down. Gramps shouldnt even exist. And in all honesty i like that gravity or warpportal take ideas from playes but if they listen too much we get this. A classic vamp system that should never left renewal, and a renewal vamp system that should have never that should have never fallen to kiddie mode. i dont want to seem like a gripe but this is what i think.

Renewal happened the way it did because of kRO. It had nothing to do with the iRO team. I wouldn't say they were listening to their players (but hey, I don't speak korean, so I could easily be wrong) with the renewal changes, as much as they were trying to stay competitive in a market they were becoming increasingly obsolete in. The evidence to these attempts is outlined in their repeated failed efforts at hosting other unsuccessful games and not sticking with the one thing they actually Know that works.

#19 coded

coded

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Location自分の夢に

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:19 PM

Number #1 is a real problem. I don't see why there just can be spots to vent so it won't block the path. It's the most annoying thing in this game.

#20 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:25 PM

Number #1 is a real problem. I don't see why there just can be spots to vent so it won't block the path. It's the most annoying thing in this game.

RO is now all suger drops and rainbows for the QQ people

Damn fruit loops

#21 killedbytofu

killedbytofu

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2212 posts
  • Server:a laggy one

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:59 AM

2.  The only way to truly fix this is to completely overhaul the entire underlying quest system.  When they first implemented a quest window years ago I thought it would properly show every quest you have started, the step you're on, and a clear explanation of what you're supposed to do.  But alas, no.  It only worked on quests started after it was implemented and I think even to this day, there are still a lot of old quests that don't function with it.  Plus, journal entries frequently bug out.  The new quest system seems to build on top of the old system leaving it with many of the same flaws.  The new quest window seems to have a lot of good functions but they only seem to fully work with the newest quests.  Hopefully the quickly work to add all previous quests to it.

From what I understand, a lot of the quest system problems come from the fact that the quest system was slapped on top of the original programming and not originally part of the game.  Ideally, the way to fix it would be to rewrite the entire quest system from the ground up.  It would allow for fully functioning quest indicators, perhaps easier quest programming, and the ability to abandon quests (I have multiple event quest entries that are stuck forever)

However, I'm assuming doing that would require a complete rewrite of the entire server program.  At the very least they should go through every quest and go over all the exp rewards, make sure all quests work in the current quest window system, rewrite journal entries to make sure the next objective is easy to understand, and rethink some of the item hunt requirements to make them a little less obnoxious.

At the very least can the put the npc back in that clears out old event quest entries and fix the Nid. quest so that it can actually be completed?

6. It can't be that hard to create new gear.  Headgear is the only part that requires any graphics to be made.  Every other gear piece is just a couple entries in a database file.

simply put: its just pure lazyness on warp portal and gravitykorea's side. they half ass everything they do and it shows. they have poor computer programmers that do very sloppy work full of unfixed bugs, infinite loop errors (for gods sake even a fresh install of the client usually runs broken until you change the settings to run as admin), memory leaks (as seen with the xmas patch in Lutie), and overlapping old code on top of new code without cleaning any of it up.

if you worked like that in an american company you would be fired within the first week. the computer programming market is too competitive now for this to be excusable. 

one of the biggest problems is that they never go back and fix anything thats broken. they just move on because in their minds, they gotta get something new out to make some money off of. and not updating your leased servers doesnt help either. it just makes your company look bad and get a bad reputation, resulting in more monetary loss because no new people will want to come play the broken outdated game lol.

they should do a complete overhaul of iRO and re-release it with all the appropriate fixes and skill balances...but after 10 years, if they still havnt, and still cant see how much of a humungous revenue generator a relaunch would be (imagine how many retired paying players would come back), then they never will. our only hope is that another company sees an opportunity and buys gravity out

Edited by killedbytofu, 13 January 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#22 MWAKU

MWAKU

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:48 AM

make 1x1 square pathway in eden that u can't shop on or stand on so people can get through. it's not that chat boxes that annoy me, its people standing everywhere making impossible to walk through. have to zoom all the way in, or back slide it through half the time

#23 Jupitel

Jupitel

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • LocationProntera

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:09 AM

I'm completely aware who xellie is, and her position within the community and her personality. Despite that, I will still show respect while debating with people. Your posts are both full of bitterness with a twinge of malice. I'm not on your side or hers here.

Is there something going on here cuz, well I'm new to the forums and I feel black emotions...

Anyway, the thing I would want most is noob turn-ins. It's so annoying trying to level by yourself (died like 50 times in ant hell and had no one to help me tank or buff me. Also that place is loaded with people) and this will both unify people into parties AND remove the problems with AFKemists because if you want to AFK homun in there, you need to be an alchemist with like 10 job points and by then you'd be 50+ and can't enter. This will probably speed levelling for noobs up by heaps and will stop making people resort to using maneaters (these are expensive btw) to get from 56-71. It will also alleviate some of the 'zeny plox' problems because it will give them an environment where they can easily go around, pick up loots and buy potions. They should probably change the turn-in rewards from eden merit badges to something like white potion coupons to prevent farming EMBs at lower levels

#24 Rythen

Rythen

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:RE:Start

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:14 AM

theres nothing to do on classic.....

We play RO.

#25 Jupitel