[Ragnarok Online I] Installation problem. - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

[Ragnarok Online I] Installation problem.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 23 January 2014 - 11:19 PM

Hello! I tried to get Ragnarok Online for my computer (Windows XP). My computer can handle the game. I've seen the System Requirements (and I always use my computer as the Administrator).

I have two hard disks in my computer ( Local Disk (C:) and (D:) ).

I downloaded the game in D: because C: has only 1GB memory (I know that's so low, but the total memory of one of my hard disk is 9GB). Then the Installation Window appeared on the screen. I accepted the conditions and it asked me where I would like to install Ragnarok Online (I). I've chosen D: because it's memory is 3,5GB (by clicking "Browse", "My Computer", "D:"), so the game would stay good there. Click "Next", till the process bar appeared.

I wait... I wait... (Like 4 minutes) I see down on my screen a message saying: "Low Disk Space! You are running out of disk space on Local Disk (C:). To free space on this drive, delete old or unnecessary files, click here...". But I can't delete anything from C: because there is just Windows stuff... A message appeared in the middle of the Installation Window saying: "An error occurred while writting installation information to disk. Check to make sure enough disk space available, and click "Retry", or "Cancel" to end the install.". The Local Disk (C:) was full and (D:) was untouched (empty, the game didn't go there)!!! I clicked "Retry" and the message didn't stop of showing up... Then I clicked "Cancel" and I interrupted the installation.

I tried this again. I clicked "Browse", and I've chosen "D:\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\" (I created the folders "Gravity" and "Ragnarok Online", because there was "C:\Gravity\Ragnarok Online\" - or something like this...-). No result! I've got the same error message. Then I tried to install it more and more and more and it always failed. It is installing in (C:) instead of (D:) and I try to make it to install in (D:), not in (C:)!! (I know... It's difficult...).

I have some screenshots which explains the problem. (I'll give you the links of them. I don't want the message to be too long...)

http://imgur.com/IBTqKTw

http://imgur.com/DvINmlD

http://imgur.com/BHDGv71

http://imgur.com/bAAZpCk

http://imgur.com/fjpaD0V

Could anyone help me?

Thanks!

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:38 AM

Ragnarok requires 3.5 gb of disk space on the disk with your Windows temp folder on it as while installing.

Axylus has a way of getting around this, I forget the details.

You should really try to free some on C, Windows doesn't really like it when the Windows drive is that low on space.

Edited by DrAzzy, 24 January 2014 - 05:39 AM.

#3 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:57 AM

Ragnarok requires 3.5 gb of disk space on the disk with your Windows temp folder on it as while installing.

Axylus has a way of getting around this, I forget the details.

You should really try to free some on C, Windows doesn't really like it when the Windows drive is that low on space.

I tried one week ago. I cleaned like 1,4 GB memory of C: After the installation, I had 0 bytes, then I've got 800MB from 1,4 GB after cancelling the installation. And why does it take memory from Windows's Disk?... This is the first time when I see this...

I really want to free some space, but I can't! I can delete nothing, because there is only WINDOWS and one more folder. I forgot its name. I tried again the Disk Clean Up proccess and nothing to delete. I mean, some very small files for 200 bytes, for example...

I'm still trying to Install RO but it doesn't work...

#4 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:09 AM

Clean out the windows temp folder to get back the space that was used during installation (and possibly more). Unless you have an unusually small harddrive, there's something taking up a ton of space on your C drive. 

RO requires space in the windows temp folder to install because it uses the Microsoft Installer (MSI), which extracts all installation files to the temp folder before proceeding with installation. Like I said, Axylus has a way to install RO without it requiring that space, and has posted about it in the past, I just don't remember what it is. 

#5 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

It could give me back 6GB. I saw its current memory of C:\WINDOWS\Temp, but I'm too afraid. If I delete it, my computer will not work... That's why I'm afraid. Because there is something called "Microsoft C+++..." Something like this... And I saw RO (and more games) needs it. I just have one game in my PC. And yes, my hard is really weird... Extremly small  :p_ang: 

Should I ask Axylus about this?

#6 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:22 AM

It is safe to empty c:/windows/temp. Sometimes windows will object to deleting a file - just skip that one (it's a temp file that something just made and is still using). The stuff filling it up is left behind by applications that didn't clean up after themselves

When I was running Win7 out of a tiny SSD, I had to clear temp very often. Then I rigged it so it got cleared every time the computer restarted - and it has run like that without issue since.

Here's another way to free a few GB on your harddrive - assuming you don't use the Hibernate function* - http://www.techrepub...nate-function/#.

*Hibernate and Sleep are different. In Sleep mode, most everything is turned off, but it still powers the RAM, so to resume, it just turns everything else back on. In hibernate mode, it copies the contents of RAM to the disk (hiberfil.sys) so it can turn off the RAM, and then when it un-hibernates, it reads it back in. As a result, it's slower to hibernate/unhibernate than sleep/unsleep (writing or reading ~4GB from disk will do that), but the system can stay hibernating on battery for much longer. Most people use sleep, very few people use hibernate. 

Edited by DrAzzy, 24 January 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#7 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:50 AM

There are three possible workarounds to this problem:If you have a fast Internet connection, then I'd suggest you use workaround 3. If you don't, then I'd suggest you use workaround 2; although, you should change the locations of your temporary folders anyway to avoid similar problems in the future.

If you decide to change the locations of your temporary folders, then I'd recommend you use the following paths, or ones similar to them:

System: D:\Temporary\System
User: D:\Temporary\Users\Your Windows user account name

#8 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

I don't think the manually client's install is the best solution. It sounds very difficult and I'm not so good at these things. 

By the way, my Installer is named too "Ragnarok_Installer-09272013" but there isn't any "exe"...

And if I'll change the location of Windows's temporary folders, will anything bad happen in the future? This sounds difficult too, but very interesting. I don't have experience. :ani_swt3:

And why it the Installation like this? (Hope you don't mind my asking) Is there a problem with my computer (I'm just curious) or is it like this because of the security system?

#9 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:02 AM

Considering your system volume (C:) is full, changing the locations of Windows's temporary folders will only have positive consequences. :)

I could help you manually install the IRO client and change the locations of Windows's temporary folders via TeamViewer. If you want me to do this, then tell me your Skype or AIM user name via a private message. I'll be free in 45–60 minutes from now.

The problem is occurring simply because you don't have enough free space on your system volume. To operate normally, Windows, like all major operating systems, requires a certain amount of free space for storing temporary files. You ultimately need to either free some space on C: or buy a hard disc drive with a larger capacity.

#10 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:08 AM

Like I said, I think the most straightforward way is to delete everything in c:/windows/temp - this can all be deleted safely. It is just junk that other programs created for temporary use, and didn't clean up afterwards. 

Changing the location of the temp folder is safe (but if you're willing to do that, why not just delete the contents of temp?). 

The ".exe" is there, but is not shown. On default settings, windows has "Hide extensions for known file types" checked, which hides the file extension. 

The installation is like that because that's how MSI-based installers work - they extract files to windows temp folder and then move them to the install directory. I do suspect that the installer is doing _something_ wrong, because it needs twice the final installation size in temp space - but all MSI installers, and many programs in general depend on there being ample space in the windows temp folder.

Yes, there is a problem with your computer - there's no space left on the drive with windows temp folder on it. 

#11 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:36 PM

Like I said, I think the most straightforward way is to delete everything in c:/windows/temp - this can all be deleted safely. It is just junk that other programs created for temporary use, and didn't clean up afterwards. 

Changing the location of the temp folder is safe (but if you're willing to do that, why not just delete the contents of temp?). 

The ".exe" is there, but is not shown. On default settings, windows has "Hide extensions for known file types" checked, which hides the file extension. 

The installation is like that because that's how MSI-based installers work - they extract files to windows temp folder and then move them to the install directory. I do suspect that the installer is doing _something_ wrong, because it needs twice the final installation size in temp space - but all MSI installers, and many programs in general depend on there being ample space in the windows temp folder.

Yes, there is a problem with your computer - there's no space left on the drive with windows temp folder on it. 

Yes... You're right. The most simple solution is to delete the files from Temp. I saw there a file called "TMP00000..." :questionmark:  It sounds ridiculous... I'll try to do this, but will it not affect my game? I have a single game in my PC. Only one, which I keep it with very much attention. I mean I'm trying to keep its files safe. Will it delete any essential file of the game? It's my first time when I do this, so I try to be very careful. Like as I said before, I have no experience.

Considering your system volume (C:) is full, changing the locations of Windows's temporary folders will only have positive consequences. :)

I could help you manually install the IRO client and change the locations of Windows's temporary folders via TeamViewer. If you want me to do this, then tell me your Skype or AIM user name via a private message. I'll be free in 45–60 minutes from now.

The problem is occurring simply because you don't have enough free space on your system volume. To operate normally, Windows, like all major operating systems, requires a certain amount of free space for storing temporary files. You ultimately need to either free some space on C: or buy a hard disc drive with a larger capacity.

Thank you for the help, Axylus. I really appreciate it! But I don't use TeamViewer (and I don't have Skype...) I'll try Azzy's suggestion. It sounds more simple :heh: 

One more question about the Installation:

Let's say I have enough memory in the Hard Disk C: (or I moved the Temp in D:) and I start the Installation again and it works. Will I lose some space on D: too, not only C: (if I try to save the game in D:)? :ani_meow: 

Edited by Mihai9, 24 January 2014 - 12:38 PM.

#12 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

You can go ahead and delete stuff in temp. 

RO requires 3.5gb of space on the disk with windows temp folder for installation (freed after install), and ~2GB on the disk you install it to (not freed after install).

#13 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

So how could I delete it? Disk Cleanup wouldn't give me enough space, I think... Like as I said, it gives me folders which has 200 bytes or 30 MB... Not very much memory. Do I have to go to D:\WINDOWS\Temp\ and copy everything, then press Delete or SHIFT + Delete? I ask again because there is a folder too, called "Microsoft C++++... and a lot of folders like "1267548865ab..." :questionmark:

#14 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 January 2014 - 01:42 PM

So how could I delete it? Disk Cleanup wouldn't give me enough space, I think... Like as I said, it gives me folders which has 200 bytes or 30 MB... Not very much memory. Do I have to go to D:\WINDOWS\Temp\ and copy everything, then press Delete or SHIFT + Delete? I ask again because there is a folder too, called "Microsoft C++++... and a lot of folders like "1267548865ab..." :questionmark:

Open C:\Windows\Temp, select everything, and hit delete. Skip any files it complains about deleting. 

The gibberish folder names are because when programs need a folder to use as scratch space, they will often create a folder with a random name in temp and use that. I think there's an API call that automates that for the developer. 

#15 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Open C:\Windows\Temp, select everything, and hit delete. Skip any files it complains about deleting. 

The gibberish folder names are because when programs need a folder to use as scratch space, they will often create a folder with a random name in temp and use that. I think there's an API call that automates that for the developer. 

They have been sent to the Recycle Bin. Now? Do I delete them from that too? :ani_swt3:

#16 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

They have been sent to the Recycle Bin. Now? Do I delete them from that too? :ani_swt3:

Yes.

#17 Mihai9

Mihai9

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationRomania

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:54 PM

The Installation succeded! I don't know how to thank you two for all your help and all your wasted time with me :ani_shy:

I don't know how to play the Renewal Server (I see it's a more friendly server to the new players). I'll see.

Thank you again!! :ani_meow: 

#18 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

The game you get when you run "ragnarok" is chaos/renewal

0 user(s) are reading this topic