Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:10 PM

Need to brainstorm some useful but not too powerful weapons/equipment for new players, much like how it is done with the Eden Group. How do you feel about equipment when you're just getting started? What is the biggest turn off for new players when they hit a wall, is it gear, or consumables, or zeny?

What can be done to get non-veteran players interested and participating in Guilds, PVP, WoE and other systems of the game that need a lot of people.

#2 IlliterateGaming

IlliterateGaming

Awarded #1 Troll

• RO Fungineering
  • 680 posts
  • LocationYouTube & Twitch.tv
  • Server:Chaos & Loki

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:19 PM

Quickly grab some coffee; you'll be here a while. ;)

Obtaining Weapons:

Spoiler

Importance of Gear, Consumables, and Zeny:

Spoiler

Engaging players in PvP, WoE, Guilds, and other systems:

Spoiler

Edited by IlliterateGaming, 27 February 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#3 Victoryblood

Victoryblood

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Server:Whatever we got

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

In no particular order:

-Job exp. Lower the job exp requirements for the first classes so new players won't get bored too soon. I want newblets to be able to reach job 50 when their base level is still in the 30s. Let's get them to 2nd class in no time flat. A level 40 knight with bowling bash would be awesome to play. A level 40 wizard with storm gust would be hilarious to play. Earlier skills for the new guys.

-After job changing, the npc will offer a stat reset or magical stones for a stat reset. Neuralizers given after job changing to 2nd class.

-Free newbie dungeon scrolls for low leveling areas.

-Newb weapons. Make them stronger than the npc weapons (most npc weps are crap), But less powerful than the kafra rental ones. Example a knife that has 150 atk.

-Mini battle manuals that are rewarded from quests that give 1.5x exp increase and last 5 minutes.

-Heal items. Newbies should be given thousands of account bound, weightless potions after job changing and also from doing quests. I'm talking Dragon Saga-esqe very cheap

potions that heal your hp and you never run out before you can afford thousands more so you can keep on leveling for hours and hours. Account bound.

-SP items. New players don't like to sit to restore sp. They can't afford the high priced strawbs nor the kafra blues. So where do the newbs get sp items?

-Monster kill count. Player kill count. Death count. Mvp kill count. Statistics like these mean a lot to any gamer who cares about their own progress. The numbers stick.

-Mini games. The ones like last year's anniversary event were really fun.

TL;DR:

The game needs to be less rigid and more cushy.

#4 heyxsean

heyxsean

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:48 PM

idk noobies getting 10~15% neutral resist gaument, 5% hp/sp Shoe and stuff like that - basically half-baked meta gears for pvming sounds good. People already lvl by merc now anyways, but if they don't have or can't afford ... can at least ease the pain of lvling for them for free. I have had about 5 people this week asking me for zeny for pots because they run out so quick lol

#5 Mikril

Mikril

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • Server:Classic

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:33 AM

I just started out about a month ago and the biggest wall that I hit was elemental weapons costing 9m. I wouldn't go as far as allowing people to buy iron and ori from NPCs, but doubling the success rates would have a huge effect on the prices. Otherwise I would give the players a handful of elemental converters to use, tied to the character (can't put in storage). 

The training ground already makes it very easy to reach first class. There are tiered hunts inside that increase in difficulty - maybe if you complete all the hunts, you can choose between a condor or pupa card on leaving the mob killing area. This would make those cards completely worthless to turn around and sell, but they would be invaluable to new players just starting out. And really, the only people actively selling those cards right now are bots anyway.

I'm not sure I would touch exp requirements for base or job levels, since the exp hunts already make it easy. We don't want players to level super fast only to run headfirst into the massive grind on reaching second class.

#6 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:52 AM

Yeah, the only issue that we really have to worry about is that while we want to put in fun stuff for new players we have to balance that vs. a lot of bots will try to exploit them. So that means that making these rewards account bound is a must. 

#7 thatfool

thatfool

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:56 AM

the novice class is just plain waste of time. if im new to the game and dont know where to level my novice, i would quit the game in 4 minutes 

#8 thatfool

thatfool

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1909 posts
  • LocationMoscow, Russia

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

those rewnewal eden equipments seems to be decent for starters

#9 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

I think the Eden Group gears on renewal provide a good model - they were kRO's response to the same issue, and (surprisingly, for kRO), they do a pretty good job of easing the transition from newbie npc junk gear, to gears that one can start to level seriously with. 

#10 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

first off please don't make thatfool's idea anything more than an option because some people do like to make weird things like permanovices and not leech them OK THANKS

second http://forums.warppo...vation-station/ what happened to this, it was really cool ! adds more pvm content (people HAVE been looking for reasons to log on outside of woe, right ?) and new players get things ! in my wildest dreams it would only be gear the first time you do a quest and then it's exp or something i dunno. but yeah ! this seemed like a good idea ! what happened :C i'm sure someone could write up a little story for a low level instance. heck, i could knock something out in an afternoon or two.

anyways, low level pvm content wooooo

#11 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

first off please don't make thatfool's idea anything more than an option because some people do like to make weird things like permanovices and not leech them OK THANKS

second http://forums.warppo...vation-station/ what happened to this, it was really cool ! adds more pvm content (people HAVE been looking for reasons to log on outside of woe, right ?) and new players get things ! in my wildest dreams it would only be gear the first time you do a quest and then it's exp or something i dunno. but yeah ! this seemed like a good idea ! what happened :C i'm sure someone could write up a little story for a low level instance. heck, i could knock something out in an afternoon or two.

anyways, low level pvm content wooooo

Not being able to create new monsters put a bit of damper on that, but I would certainly like to revisit the idea. 

Some story line hooks would be nice as well. 

#12 needmorezleep

needmorezleep

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1013 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:39 PM

Wouldn't you be able to take duplicated monsters like the ones MvPs use and turn those into monsters? Like reverting the MvP summons into real mobs with drops and using the current summons as new monsters. I know it's abusable with things like Valkyrie but you can use lesser mobs like the Sandman spawns from Phreeoni that aren't a big deal.

#13 MizunoAoi

MizunoAoi

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 587 posts
  • Server:Chaos and Loki

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Question, are you allowed to palette swap things on your own?  Then again that'd require an new mob id wouldn't it....  But that could give you "new" monsters to do stuff with.

#14 ClickyHpen

ClickyHpen

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 322 posts
  • Locationtwitch.tv/chpenn

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Not being able to create new monsters put a bit of damper on that, but I would certainly like to revisit the idea. 

Some story line hooks would be nice as well. 

i don't really see a need to make whole new monsters, i figure story hooks are the important part. is renaming a monster out of the question ? we could have goblin, kobold, and orc rivalries, where a party helps one side win over the other for stuff like a modified orc sword, boots, helm... and those are just the ones that already have base items (i'm counting the ethereal orc boots or whatever i see vended sometimes)

i'm sure i could either put a plot to that or come up with something better, just kinda curious what you're looking for. i'm thinking less town things, since many fields have nothing relevant on them in terms of quests.

#15 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

Question, are you allowed to palette swap things on your own?  Then again that'd require an new mob id wouldn't it....  But that could give you "new" monsters to do stuff with.

Due to client limitations, while we can create new equipment and items (so long as they use an existing sprite) we are not able to create new monster numbers like we can for items.

#16 jenkat

jenkat

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:15 PM

the novice class is just plain waste of time. if im new to the game and dont know where to level my novice, i would quit the game in 4 minutes 

Assuming one skips the Training Ground, you'd level your novice on any map immediately outside of whatever town you started in. That's pretty much par for the course in every gave I've ever played. It doesn't seem to me like the kind of thing one would experience any uncertainty about.

#17 Wingz89

Wingz89

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

from my experience. Run out of pot is 1 of the problem for newbie/new starter. So may b can put a npc that give some rewarding pot / reasonable amount of zeny for pot. Or can put some daily login reward or weekly or even monthly attendance... must be log on at least for an hour or 2 like that. Im just share my opinion only pls dun screw me if im wrong.

As for equipment... I think we can create some eden like equipment from new starter too. I like to make those "classic gear" into each class.

Swordman set:
def- total around 15-20
Effect- 1)it can b some pot amplify for orange o yellow pot. 2) some hp recovery amplify too. 3)improve bash dmg and/or stun %

Mage set:
Def n mdef - total around 5-10def n 15mdef
Effect -1) pot amplify for red pot 2) some sp recovery amplify 3) may b can improve magic coat defensive setting or reduce the sp usage.

Archer:
Def- around 10
Effect - 1)pot amplify for Orange or yellow pot 2)+hp recovery n sp recovery% 3) chance to do double stafe when attavking n arrow repel when attacked

Aco:
Def n mdef- total around 10-15def n 5-10mdef
Effect- 1) increase healing skill agaisnt undead or heal effectiveness 2) +sp recovery % 3) killing an undead give some sp.

Thief:
Def- total around 10-15def
Effect- 1) pot amplify for orange or yellow pot 2) +20 flee 3) + some hp when killing a monster

Merchant:
Def- total around 15-20 def
Effect- 1)amplify meat n monster feed healing 2) chance to drop meat n monster feed when killing monster 3) increase cart revo dmg

Above is my opinion of the starting gear. It must be wearing full set in order to gain the effect, or otherwise it only give some individual def. Renewal eden gear give some neutral dmg reduction but if it happen in may ruin some card or official equipment in classic, so i did not think to put it, or may be 5% reduction is enough? Make the gear upgradable also be the better choice for dmg reduction. The gear can be obtain again if you broke them by daily.

However It still at least give some survivability in recovery either by sitting or using pot. As for pot I think yellow n orange pot is the better choice for starter game... red pot for novice. N yellow orange pot is seldom use or appear in market, may be server can lowering the yellow orange pot price as it really seldom use either in woe pvp or even pve as well as meat n monster feed.

Correct me if it is...

#18 Acowlyte

Acowlyte

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • Server:Forum Player

Posted 31 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Ragnarok Online has a cool lore, but it's loose even for veteran players. It could be used to help new players and also explain better the lore to new people. For this, character progression can be connected to it with a cool storyline and quests. These quest would be used to guide the player on how the game works and also give the player useful rewards, like equipment and consumables that will help them to keep playing and having fun while exploring the game and its lore.

There's also no need create new items for this. The game has a lot of "2nd tier gear" already: Harpy card, Condor card, Pick card, Rodda Frog card, Hoods, Mufflers, Guards, Sandals, Shoes, lots of armors, hats and consumables. The list can keep going forever.
Instead of adding more to the game, make it the right way by reusing those.

Most of players will agree that what makes Ragnarok different is the freedom it gives to you. You can level up your game in a lot of ways, and a fixed storyline is exactly the inverse of that.
But hey, there's no need to make it the only way to level up, there is also no reason to make it the best way to level up. As the player gets better at the game, he will find better ways to do things. And that's nice, the exploration phase is the best part of the game.

Being a new player on Ragnarok is awful. You don't know what to do, how to play. I find people not knowing how to use a skill, which is a basic thing.
There is so many "hidden", broken and things that lacks explanation on how they work in the game (who the hell would think that there's a command to make your character auto-attack?!). Things like this needs to change. And we can give you suggestions on how fix most of them. Just that would make the game A LOT better.

Anyway, are you guys at Gravity willing to change things on Classic? We don't know what you guys can do and that limits ours suggestions a lot. A better communication between the team and the community will be great as we could give more and better suggestions.

Edited by Acowlyte, 31 July 2014 - 03:04 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users