Win8 Issues - Game unplayable due to small windows - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Win8 Issues - Game unplayable due to small windows

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

I recently got a brand new Windows 8 computer.  I've been attempting to play RO on it to little success.  The game will run, but it's not playable.  First of all, I've tried using the help threads and Googling this issue.  This has led me to several attempts at rectifying the situation.

Here's what happens:

When I start the game in full screen mode it tells me that it cannot init d3d or GRF.  I have checked for drivers updates and installed DirectX.  The problem persists.  Now, when I try to play it in windowed mode...it works, but the window is way too small on all resolutions outside of my maximum resolution (which is 3200x1800.)  When I attempt to run it, in windowed mode, on any resolution higher than 2048x1152 (up to and including my max res) it gives me the same 3d3 error.

What I've tried:

Downloading new graphic card drivers.  Downloading Directx.  WinXP compatibility mode.  Scaling down my resolution (for which the strangest thing happened.  The window size stayed the same at each respective resolution despite my desktop res being smaller.  Makes no sense to me.) Setting my own custom resolution smaller than 3200x1800 but larger than 2048x1152.  Full screen and windowed.  Various resolutions, and all of the D3D/HAL settings.

I'm pretty sure that's everything that I've tried.  Please help, I recently purchased VIP and it's just kind of sitting there getting wasted as I've been unable to solve this problem for the last few days now.  Thank you.

#2 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

RO uses directX 7, maximum resolution is 2048x1536. An update is coming (who knows when) that will update the version of directx the game uses, thus removing that limit.

Exceeding either of those dimensions will prevent it from working. 

What if you enable fullscreen, but at 1600x900 resolution.... Oh, no, that probably won't work, because RO usually doesn't work full screen on windows 8. But it does work for some, so try this. Graphics should look okay with 2:1 scaling, too. 

Another (undesirable) approach is to set desktop resolution to 1600x900, and then set the game to that, or some windowed mode a bit smaller than that. 

This is one of  the problems with being an early adopter of retina class screens... There are some applications that don't handle ultra-high res well - I've had issues on my 2560 x 1440 13.3" zenbook with text being too small to read comfortably, with no way to zoom in or change text size.

#3 Tenshiiii

Tenshiiii

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 216 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in my head
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:ps4

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

I'm playing it on a win 8. Sometimes full screen, sometimes not. I don't know what I'm doing to make this work though lol.

#4 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:25 PM

When I got my Windows 8 Laptop I had the same problem as you.

I have done the following and I can play, but with a lot of lag.

• Run as Administrator
  • Run in Windows XP Compatibility 2.
  • Run in Windows Mode, not fullscreen.
  • Open from Shortcut on desktop, not from a tile!!!
  • Ensure the shortcut does not default to 640 x 480 resolution.
  • Ensure the Shortcut opens in Normal Window.
  • Make sure the program opens in the right file.
  • Very low sprite resolution.
  • Use /effect
  • Use /aura

This is my Computer System:

windows8_zps76fdf577.jpg

Here is a screen shot of my setup.

roresolution2_zps43962c33.jpg

Here is how the shortcut is configured:  (Important that un-check run in 640 x 480 resolution that is default).

setup_zps2c65b357.jpg

Here is the rest of the shortcut setup: (Important to select normal window)

setup2_zps895d87dc.jpg

Here is what the game looks like open.

roresolution_zps53cd3203.jpg

Here is what the Sprite resolution looks like in game:

screenChaos112_zps613e2e03.jpg

Try that and I wish you the best of luck, Windows 8 is very tricky, I still have some issues.

Edited by D111, 13 March 2014 - 05:54 PM.

#5 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:36 PM

RO uses directX 7, maximum resolution is 2048x1536. An update is coming (who knows when) that will update the version of directx the game uses, thus removing that limit.

Exceeding either of those dimensions will prevent it from working. 

What if you enable fullscreen, but at 1600x900 resolution.... Oh, no, that probably won't work, because RO usually doesn't work full screen on windows 8. But it does work for some, so try this. Graphics should look okay with 2:1 scaling, too. 

Another (undesirable) approach is to set desktop resolution to 1600x900, and then set the game to that, or some windowed mode a bit smaller than that. 

This is one of  the problems with being an early adopter of retina class screens... There are some applications that don't handle ultra-high res well - I've had issues on my 2560 x 1440 13.3" zenbook with text being too small to read comfortably, with no way to zoom in or change text size.

I've tried your last suggestion.  I detailed it in my "what I've tried" section.  If I scale down my windows resoultion, while keeping the game resolution the same; the game's window size does not change.  It seems to be relative to the monitor rather than the resolution itself.  Any other suggestions?

EDIT:  Additionally it's really good to know that the max resolution is 2048x1536, I was wondering if that were the case.  Couldn't find any Google answers to the question, and was basically guessing and checking for the answer.  Also, you're correct.  I've tried full screen, it simply maximizes to a quarter of my screen in the top left corner.

SO aggravating.

EDIT 2:  After playing around with it more, I was mistaken.  It just takes a massive change to make any noticeable difference.  I might be able to manage like this, but damn that's annoying.  Thanks for the info, if you have any other ideas please let me know.

When I got my Windows 8 Laptop I had the same problem as you.

I have done the following and I can play, but with a lot of lag.

• Run as Administrator
  • Run in Windows XP Compatability
  • Run in Windows Mode, not fullscreen.
  • Open from Shortcut on desktop, not from a tile!!!
  • Very low sprite resolution.
  • Use /effect
  • Use /aura

Here is a screen shot of my setup.

Snip

Here is what the game looks like open.

Snip

Try that and I wish you the best of luck, Windows 8 is very tricky, I still have some issues.

Again..I've tried this.  Please re-read the "what I've tried" section.

Edited by Arfner, 13 March 2014 - 05:47 PM.

#6 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

I know you are frustrated, I was also extremely frustrated when it happened to me.

Also I read your post thoroughly...

I wouldn't waste my time and energy posting pics unless I was trying to help.

You may be simply overlooking something, I am posting the images to try and help you see what Works for me.

If it does not work for you I am sorry.

I posted more pics of the shortcut setup.

Hope that helps.

Edited by D111, 13 March 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#7 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:57 PM

I know you are frustrated, I was also extremely frustrated when it happened to me.

Also I read your post thoroughly...

I wouldn't waste my time and energy posting pics unless I was trying to help.

You may be simply overlooking something, I am posting the images to try and help you see what Works for me.

If it does not work for you I am sorry.

I posted more pics of the shortcut setup.

Hope that helps.

Yes, I'm sorry.  My reply was short and rude.  I appreciate your attempts to help, and I have tried what you suggested...it did not work for me.  Not that I'm really surprised at this point.  lol.  Thanks for trying though.

#8 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:01 PM

I would check each setting very carefully, I know I had the same issue as you with the window showing up small regardless of resolution.

It took some tooling but something I did changed that.

Hope you can figure it out, like I said, everything I posted is how mine is at the moment, which you can see from the in game screenshot I took just now.

Mine works, so I know you can get it too work, just have to keep trying.

#9 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Just remembered something else I did,

Run the actual Ragnarok Setup in Administrator and in compatibility mode.

#10 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Just remembered something else I did,

Run the actual Ragnarok Setup in Administrator and in compatibility mode.

I tried this just now.  I'm glad it works for you, but the only thing adding this component did was make the game run more slowly.  Thanks again.

Does anyone else have any ideas to throw at me?  I'm willing to try just about anything at this point.

#11 D111

D111

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4543 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:22 PM

Sorry it didn't help, Best of luck.

#12 Mulder1

Mulder1

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1610 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:04 AM

So still no full screen on Windows 8?

I haven't tried that laptop for Ragnarok since it didn't work well before... I guess we have to wait for that patch to allow us to use a newer directx?

#13 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

D: His problem is that he's got a very very high res screen. That's the source of his issues - unless you have a solution to making RO work well on a monitor with a native resolution significantly higher than the 2048x1536 limit of directx 7, it's not going to work for him. He's not having the usual Win8 compatibility issues.

Did the computer come with any tools to improve graphics compatibility with the ultra high res screen? It's worth checking, because at that resolution and screen size, I feel like a significant number of users would be having issues with a variety of legacy apps. 

I love the high res screens myself, but there is a problem with being on the bleeding edge of technology.

Edited by DrAzzy, 14 March 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#14 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

D: His problem is that he's got a very very high res screen. That's the source of his issues - unless you have a solution to making RO work well on a monitor with a native resolution significantly higher than the 2048x1536 limit of directx 7, it's not going to work for him. He's not having the usual Win8 compatibility issues.

Did the computer come with any tools to improve graphics compatibility with the ultra high res screen? It's worth checking, because at that resolution and screen size, I feel like a significant number of users would be having issues with a variety of legacy apps. 

I love the high res screens myself, but there is a problem with being on the bleeding edge of technology.

Do you have any notions as to where I might begin looking for something like that?  I've never even heard of anything like it.

I, too, love the high res screen.  It looks incredible...mind-blowingly so.

#15 Rinzwind

Rinzwind

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

Only thing I can add: try virtualization. In a VM you can set your own resolution.

#16 Arfner

Arfner

I am New.

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Only thing I can add: try virtualization. In a VM you can set your own resolution.

Good idea.  I'll be trying this at some point in time today.  I'll let you guys know how it works, in the hopes that it might help someone else having the same issues as me.

Edited by Arfner, 17 March 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#17 XIII_Eraser

XIII_Eraser

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1448 posts
  • LocationBehind You
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:01 AM

Sorry to necro but did anyone figure out how to fix this problem? I recently got a new laptop with windows 8.1 and a resolution of 3200x1800, Ragnarok runs but everything is very small.

Edited by XIII_Eraser, 19 June 2014 - 08:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users