12 replies to this topic

#1 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 01 May 2014 - 06:49 AM

I seem to have replied to several topics regarding this question, so I figured I'd just go ahead and make a guide to compile the things together.

My Specs: Fall 2009 MacBook Pro 15.4" 3.60 GHz 8GB running 10.6.8

You have several options for running ROSE (or any Windows program) on a Mac.

1. Dual Boot

2. Virtual Machine

3. WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) -- "a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, Mac OSX, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly" (http://www.winehq.org/about/)

The three options are ranked in order of Best Performance, with Option 1 giving the best performance.

1. Dual Boot

Spoiler

2. Virtual Machine

Spoiler

Cool trick thing with this: If you minimize the ROSE Window to your dock, it effectively "suspends" the window such that you can get some memory back and calm the CPU down a little. When you unminimize the window, it will take some time to reload and update, like updating your tumblr dashboard after you've left that page open for an hour. Server Reset after Patch v501 broke this such that minimizing the window will completely freeze the client when you unminimize it. Though if you have another client open watching the frozen one, the frozen one doesn't dc or anything.

I usually try to keep only 1 or 2 clients open at any time because it really eats your CPU/RAM, and even with just two clients, it can get pretty laggy sometimes. But the above trick is pretty useful for farming, since I can have 5 clients open (4 minimized until king spawns) without too much lag. 

3. WINE

Spoiler

IMPORTANT:  If using WINE or a VM, you'd best have all browsers closed. Chrome especially, loves munching on RAM, and as you will already be slightly short on memory (500-700MB to spare for me), having browsers open will bring you down to 50-200MB to spare easily. Though sometimes if you are careful about just afking around with one window open, the rest minimized, and a pretty fresh browser, you can stay at a decent amount of memory free even with a browser open.

Comment if you have any questions or need a better explanation for something, and I will try to answer. I currently run ROSE in Parallels because VBox has really bad 3D Graphics support at the moment, and I can't get ROSE to see the Internets through WINE (though other applications like Internet Explorer 8 access the Internets just fine).

Edited by Nifa, 04 May 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#2 ShazamO

ShazamO

They pay me to post.

• Retired
  • 5764 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Playing:ROSE Online

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Gross~ MAC's.. I kid :ok:

Topic Pinned.

#3 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

I agree.

#4 Irirwanwan

Irirwanwan

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 06:13 PM

I copy the folder gravity on my other computer, and I paste it in my mac (wine fili> program files> Gravity> rose online) and I run ROSEONLINE.EXE, but can not patch rose: (, so what should I do?

#5 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 15 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Supposedly you have to add Wine to your firewall exception list to allow Wine applications to connect to the internet.

Allowing specific applications
To allow a specific app to receive incoming connections, add it using Firewall Options:

• Open System Preferences.
  • Click the Security or Security & Privacy icon.
  • Select the Firewall tab.
  • Click the lock icon in the preference pane, then enter an administrator name and password.
  • Click the Firewall Options button
  • Click the Add Application (+) button.
  • Select the app you want to allow incoming connection privileges for.
  • Click Add.
  • Click OK.

Edited by Genesis, 15 June 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#6 Irirwanwan

Irirwanwan

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:25 PM

its can't sir :( , because Roseonline.exe ,not dmg :(

can't add Roseonline.exe to firewall system :( 

#7 Genesis

Genesis

ROSE Developer

• Community Managers
  • 2066 posts
  • Server:Arua

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:32 PM

From what I read, you have to add Wine.app to your firewall exception list.

#8 Irirwanwan

Irirwanwan

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:38 PM

already add it , but can patch :/

#9 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:44 AM

Personally I am unable to get ROSE on WINE to work. I also have the connection error. This is with having my Firewall turned off, and with having it on and having wine added to my Firewall exceptions [allow incoming connections] list. 

#10 Irirwanwan

Irirwanwan

I am New.

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:53 PM

hmmmm, so i must instal windows and my mac :( , very sad with this situation :(

#11 Nifa

Nifa

Artisan Representative

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 01:01 PM

I use a VM instead, because my Mac also does not want to install Windows

#12 DrunkinMonkey

DrunkinMonkey

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • Twitter:https://twitter.com/Slothnessmonst1
  • LocationBrisbane / QLD / Australia (GMT+10)
  • Server:There can be only one :D

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

Ok guys so I'm running a 2014 Macbook Pro (2.2ghz I7, 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 Ram, with Iris Pro 1536Mb GFX, 250gb SSD HDD, Running OS X Yosemite.)

I'm wanting the best way to Run multiple rose clients without needing to duel boot reading this wine is out?? but VM crashes when you switch clients is this correct??

This is my Uni Laptop so duel booting is really not something I would like to do especially with the small hdd space.

Are there any software out that is better then these options these days? or just install VM and see how it goes.

Cheers Mick

Edit - Have been having a bit of a look around has anyone tried using wine bottler and if so how is it?

WineBottler

Edited by DrunkinMonkey, 04 January 2015 - 04:10 PM.

#13 Onehityoudie

Onehityoudie

I am New.

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 02:06 AM

anyone knows how to download this on mac easy way?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users