Win8.1 D3D / driver problems. - Renewal Technical Support / Bug Reporting - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Win8.1 D3D / driver problems.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • LocationAFK in Ymir pront
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:50 PM

Got a bit of a stumper here: Read all of the post before just posting drivel about DX / Drivers not being installed!

hardware /software:

Win8.1_x64

DX11 up to date ( should back-support DX9 stuff ) and working - see later in the post.

Intel HD4000 on a core i5 with up to date working drivers - see later in the post.

Brand new installation of RO ( client has never been installed on this PC)

More than enough RAM

Issues:

the Ragnarok client does not see hardware in any way shape or form. 

If not set to compatibility mode (Windows XP service pack 3) I get an initial "Entry Point Not Found" exception with the error message "The procedure entry point MiniDumpWriteDump could not be located in the dynamic link library C:\windows\system32\dlum9.dll"

followed by the expected cannot init D3D problem. 

If set to windows XP compatibility mode the minidump error does NOT appear, I just get the expected cannot init D3D error. 

Known working stuff:

I know DX9 and my video drivers are working, I can play Final Fantasy 14 with no issues, as well as several different graphics rendering programs that use DX and my GFX card that I use all the time. Dxdiag also does not report any issues, and reports that DX 9-11 are all working. 

Has anyone run into similar errors when valid drivers ETC are installed AND got RO working?  Not even sure where else to look at this problem right now, I don't have the time to mess around re-installing older versions of drivers to see if it is an Intel driver regression.   

#2 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts
  • LocationEngland, United Kingdom

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:04 PM

Shockingly, the RO client actually uses version 7 or DirectX, not version 9. :o I don't think the client's graphics programming has been updated since 2002, which is why the client has so many compatibility problems with the latest versions of Windows.

Have you selected a device and video resolution in the configurator (Setup.exe)? The client won't run unless you have done so. If the configurator's device and video resolution fields are blank, then try running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

#3 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:14 PM

Shockingly, the RO client actually uses version 7 or DirectX, not version 9. :o I don't think the client's graphics programming has been updated since 2002, which is why the client has so many compatibility problems with the latest versions of Windows.

Have you selected a device and video resolution in the configurator (Setup.exe)? The client won't run unless you have done so. If the configurator's device and video resolution fields are blank, then try running it in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP3.

Yep, tried the settings with WIndows XP compatibility settings, it was still blank; that's why I said the client doesn't seem to recognize my hardware in any way. 

I wasn't aware that RO still used DX7 stuff, I had thought they had moved up to 9 quite a while ago.   In theory it shouldn't matter since 9 was backwards compatible with 7 and 11 is supposedly fully backwards compatible with 9.  I had thought other people have had the game running on windows 8 / 8.1, but I don't know anyone that for sure has. 

I wish they would add and use OpenGL in the client, these days OGL can actually be faster than DirectX, and it would mean MacOS ( and Linux / steam Linux ) support would be quite easy.   

#4 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM

Please upload the contents of the file Installation folder\savedata\OptionInfo.lua (where Installation folder is the path to your IRO client installation folder) to Pastebin and then include the address of the uploaded copy of the text in a reply to this post.

Edited by Axylus, 14 May 2014 - 08:50 AM.

#5 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:11 PM

Looks pretty much like a vanilla install should: http://pastebin.com/H8SGHnUu

The options are in a different order than on my Win7 netbook, but I assume that is because I've actually been able to launch RO on the netbook and not the Win8.1 laptop.

#6 Axylus

Axylus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2383 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:18 PM

Thanks.

I wanted to know whether the variables DEVICECNT, MODECNT, BITPERPIXEL, WIDTH, and HEIGHT were defined in the file to help determine the cause of the problem. The fact that they are defined indicates the client possesses the necessary information to initialise its graphics subsystem, but its attempt to do so is failing. I can only guess why this is the case.

It's a long shot, but try experimenting with modifying the DEVICECNT variable, which contains the zero-based index of the user's preferred Direct3D device. On most systems, the variable's range of valid values is 0–3.

Edited by Axylus, 14 May 2014 - 03:20 PM.

#7 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

The devicecnt var didn't do anything, but I narrowed it down to two things causing the issue now. 

The two suspects are:

1: the google chrome remote desktop server

2: the displaylink drivers for my USB second screen. 

I'm leaning strongly towards the displaylink drivers, I have to re-install the remote desktop server and see though. 

Anyways, for whatever reason one of those was the reason RO wouldn't see my hardware, as soon as those got uninstalled the client started working again. 

#8 DrAzzy

DrAzzy

Really Azzy? Already?

• VMod Retired
  • 15606 posts
  • LocationNew England
  • Server:Chaos-Clandestine Society

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:10 PM

Displaylink drivers would probably be it.... 

USB monitors have a downright lousy compatibility record.

#9 meoryou2

meoryou2

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1176 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:26 AM

Displaylink drivers would probably be it.... 

USB monitors have a downright lousy compatibility record.

Thats my thought too, I have a few days off after my chem final tonight to do some more testing.  It's interesting that RO is the only application with a problem though, I wonder what they do different than other applications. 

#10 planetarian

planetarian

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:59 AM

I can confirm DisplayLink drivers as the likely culprit here. I had to completely uninstall mine before I could get any options in setup.exe.

Edited by planetarian, 05 September 2014 - 07:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users