WINNERS ANNOUNCED: Creative Feast Event (see second post) - Page 15 - **Community Contests and Events** - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

WINNERS ANNOUNCED: Creative Feast Event (see second post)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
431 replies to this topic

#351 Tkwan

Tkwan

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2260 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Ok. Lets keep this in mind for the future -  If its not a cake (or other large baked good), it wont win. Simple as that. Apparently the process or advanced techniques used have no bearing on the results of the event.

With that said, and not being a participant as I didn't get my entry finished in time, I think I can fairly say that saying a drink winning is "shameful" is offensive to those who actually put effort and time into developing recipe's that taste good. Sure, some of the recipes were probably scraped of the internet. Mine entry would have been a -_-tail, and it was completely custom and based on mixing ingredients to find the right amounts of each part. So to say that the playing around with the volumes of each ingredient would be "shameful" is actually hurtful to those who tried as a judgement factor.

I also have to agree with tati. The recipe's should have been vetted first. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it tastes good. This was a cooking contest for RO food AND Drinks. It's not an art contest, its a food contest, and you don't Ever judge food solely off of its presentation. Nothing against you here cein, but I was just expecting a bit more thorough judging method.

#352 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm bored, so I'm going to compile a spreadsheet of "If Ralis was judging" and rank separately on each category for a combined score, because I'm curious to see if reading the full recipes and such would change my mind about the ranking of beverages.

#353 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Ok. Lets keep this in mind for the future -  If its not a cake (or other large baked good), it wont win. Simple as that. Apparently the process or advanced techniques used have no bearing on the results of the event.

With that said, and not being a participant as I didn't get my entry finished in time, I think I can fairly say that saying a drink winning is "shameful" is offensive to those who actually put effort and time into developing recipe's that taste good. Sure, some of the recipes were probably scraped of the internet. Mine entry would have been a -_-tail, and it was completely custom and based on mixing ingredients to find the right amounts of each part. So to say that the playing around with the volumes of each ingredient would be "shameful" is actually hurtful to those who tried as a judgement factor.

I also have to agree with tati. The recipe's should have been vetted first. Just because something looks good doesn't mean it tastes good. This was a cooking contest for RO food AND Drinks. It's not an art contest, its a food contest, and you don't Ever judge food solely off of its presentation. Nothing against you here cein, but I was just expecting a bit more thorough judging method.

I aggree with you alot except the drink part. There are drinks that is alot more time consuming and needs preparation as well.

What i propose is to have separate contest one for only food and one for only drinks in the future.

Not everyone can make a complex drink you same for food

#354 KiyokoHasami

KiyokoHasami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • LocationRelocated ---->Bio 4
  • Server:Chaos>Valkyrie>New Chaos

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:03 PM

Yeah something like: Drink - Main Dish - Dessert would be good categories along with other stipulations. xD

#355 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

the problem with a cooking contest like this is that taste never came into play... as for the drink vs food debate perhaps 2 separate contests would have been better.... one for food only and one for drinks only... as a chef and mixologist (among many other talents i hold irl) a really good drink is just as difficult to nail down as a good dish... a good -_-tail can take as much cooking and ingredients as a good soup... the difference is in how simple one looks vs the other and since ,like i said, taste never came into the judging its quite unfair to rule out all drinks as super easy... anyway congrats to all the winners and nice work to all who participated...

#356 ShinobiEX3

ShinobiEX3

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 6862 posts
  • LocationForest

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

the problem with a cooking contest like this is that taste never came into play... as for the drink vs food debate perhaps 2 separate contests would have been better.... one for food only and one for drinks only... as a chef and mixologist (among many other talents i hold irl) a really good drink is just as difficult to nail down as a good dish... a good -_-tail can take as much cooking and ingredients as a good soup... the difference is in how simple one looks vs the other and since ,like i said, taste never came into the judging its quite unfair to rule out all drinks as super easy... anyway congrats to all the winners and nice work to all who participated...

^ this

#357 WeissCeres

WeissCeres

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

well i think in general, it should have been divided to at least savoury, dessert and drinks.

and 1 winner from each category and an overall winner.

that's just because it's a fact that generally, desserts do look prettier and can be a bit more complex to make. 

savoury dishes are a bit harder to construct because some of the ragnarok savoury dishes can be super simple or really weird like Savage BBQ......you wouldn't really want to serve a whole pig head.

#358 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9782 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:14 PM

really weird like Savage BBQ......you wouldn't really want to serve a whole pig head.

actually some of the best meat comes from the pigs head...

#359 Draciolus

Draciolus

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2035 posts
  • Server:Chaos Renewal

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

The head is very versatile. Could make cheese in it. Could take the skin off, and use the meat underneath, even use the skin of the face itself.

#360 WeissCeres

WeissCeres

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:18 PM

actually some of the best meat comes from the pigs head...

i meant in terms of actually making the dish itself for the purpose of the event and taking plenty photos of it......if u happen to have an event which u would serve it during the creative feast event by all means......

besides cein asked for suggestions?

#361 SynCelestial

SynCelestial

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks so much for the congrats!

All of the entries were way awesome, and I know how much hard work went in to all of them so congrats to everybody ^-^

#362 Andini

Andini

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2738 posts
  • LocationNorcal

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

good event, disappointing results other than a certain winner possibly due to biased/undefined judging criteria though

Edited by Andini, 01 July 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#363 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:39 PM

Categories would've only been acceptable if they announced it from the start, but judging on categories at the end would've been awful.

Oh well, great event. There will be more :ok:

Grats to the winners!

Edited by Sapphic, 01 July 2014 - 07:47 PM.

#364 Lazerbomb

Lazerbomb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:02 PM

so how do we claim our participation prize hats? :o

#365 Ralis

Ralis

[TOS] The Man Trap

• VMod Retired
  • 6982 posts
  • LocationFlorida
  • Server:Classic

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

...No wonder they didn't judge it as slowly and thoroughly as me. 58 entries and I'm currently on #18. Thisistakingforever

#366 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

so how do we claim our participation prize hats? :o

Please edit the post where you posted your submission with your character name and server at the top.

#367 Lazerbomb

Lazerbomb

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

ok thank you oda :)

#368 Dokey

Dokey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Server:ReStart

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'm really glad the immortal stew earned a place. Those parsnip bones were genius! And, of course, Syn's chocolate was breathtaking. I'm very surprised the Dragon Breath C0cktail didn't place, because it was complex and accurate to the RO item image.

All in all, I loved this contest. It was unique and very fun to participate in. I was also impressed to see how many foodies we have in the RO community! Something else that I thought made this event really special was the care Cein took with it as host. The special banners, organizing all the entries to the spreadsheet, keeping in regular contact with participants in the thread -- thank you. I don't think the event would have been as successful without all the time you put into it <3

My only criticism is that if you set a certain criteria for judgement... you should actually use that criteria when you judge the submissions (like accuracy to the official RO item image). Ralis's idea (I think it was Ralis anyway @____@) of an Iron Chef-style score sheet would have been better with this variety of food categories and skill levels.

#369 beaupoem

beaupoem

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4239 posts
  • LocationMora

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:38 PM

My only criticism is that if you set a certain criteria for judgement... you should actually use that criteria when you judge the submissions (like accuracy to the official RO item image). Ralis's idea (I think it was Ralis anyway @____@) of an Iron Chef-style score sheet would have been better with this variety of food categories and skill levels.

agreed. no one said anything about "complexity" when this was first announced.

#370 Xellie

Xellie

Valkyrie

• RO Fungineering
  • 18610 posts
  • Twitter:@nekoxellie
  • LocationValhalla
  • Server:Europe ban!

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

y'all are way too serious

I would have judged it purely on what looked the funnest

#371 Dokey

Dokey

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA
  • Server:ReStart

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:56 PM

Food is srs business, yo.

#372 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

cyS3Hmm.png

#373 meditation

meditation

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Great job everyone :ani_wow: :ani_wow:

By the way, partecipation prize hat is a costume or a normal headgear ? Would be awesome to have a costume version :)

EDIT : character info added on my entry :)

http://forums.warppo...-6#entry1820722

Edited by meditation, 01 July 2014 - 11:22 PM.

#374 WarlockFier

WarlockFier

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3395 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Silph Road

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:15 AM

Congratulation to the winners!! Definitely well deserved. Thank you so much Cein for organizing this event, it was really fun to just take part. I didn't expect to win and had fun still because I really rarely even cook these days.

I would look forward to your next event again. :3 I'm so happy to see so many entries submitted too!

Not sure if I need another Creative Convention Hat.. I already have two. But I guess I will just get another one anyways. =x

#375 meditation

meditation

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 3547 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:42 AM

I'm really glad the immortal stew earned a place. Those parsnip bones were genius! And, of course, Syn's chocolate was breathtaking. I'm very surprised the Dragon Breath C0cktail didn't place, because it was complex and accurate to the RO item image.

I'm really surprised as well, dragon breath c0cktail was absolutely amazing!!!!

Edited by meditation, 02 July 2014 - 04:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users