Ragnarok Player History Archive - **Community Contests and Events** - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

Ragnarok Player History Archive

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Oda

Oda

Overseas

• Community Managers
  • 10261 posts
  • Twitter:@Oda_CM
  • LocationAmatsu
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Hey there folks! For our panel at Anime California on August 22nd (which you guys should go and see) I'm going to be sharing the history of Ragnarok Online in a presentation and I'd like some recollections from people who played the game back around the earliest days. If you know people who played back before 2006 or even back to the alpha, please get their stories!

Things I'm looking for:

Stories of how you heard about RO and what it was like when you started playing, friendships you made, fun or funny stories. 

Old Screenshots showing fondly remembered characters, maps, adventures, (if you have images of Old Payon, Alpha Morroc/Prontera/Payon even better) or events

RO Fanart/videos/music that you really like that you found back in the day

#2 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

When I first heard about Ragnarok I was playing another game with one of my friends.

He met a girl that was playing Ragnarok and after he showed it to me, we both decided to start playing it.

It was pretty rough back then, but it was unlike any other game I had played. I pretty much got hooked immediately.

I remember wandering around and dying a lot. Some of my first memories are trying to vertical firewall argiopes and hoping not to die.

Then there was the long wait for your sp to recover!

I remember the flashy crit assassins too and people huddling in the clock tower deviruchi room and the cross in the GH graveyard.

My first card was a creamy card and it wasn't implemented yet. I was pretty pumped up at the time.

The friend I started playing with actually met his wife from RO and got married a few years back. We had been friends for years offline.

He probably would never consider playing the game again, but I still enjoy the community and even though everyone takes breaks from time to time, it keeps me coming back.

#3 Alaska

Alaska

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 4817 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:31 PM

A lot of my fondest memories come from the old Hode turn ins, before Renewal came around...

A really good friend of mine at the time and I would do these turns ins every day, sometimes spending hours upon hours killing hode upon hode in the various parties set up on the map. I remember when we started our rounds for the day, we always rushed to the NPC who handed out the rewards - the best party (for people who didn't like walking, anyways) was always parked over there and the spot was highly contested.

Of course, anyone with even fragmented knowledge of the game knows of the MVP that dwells there among the hodes. These days it doesn't take much to take him down, he's barely a bigger annoyance than a fly buzzing around your ears. Back then, on the other hand... sometimes while we were busy leveling ourselves up, Phreeoni would spare us a visit, usually terrorizing our party leaving nothing but "does anyone have any high level friends?" messages in its wake. In these times we have to work together to take him down, lest our exp gain be compromised. Sometimes it got done quickly, sometimes we spent hours trying to find someone/people to help us out.

It's just funny because if I were to be put in that situation today, I would probably get frustrated and just move onto something else, but back then it barely troubled me. I still had fun even if I was laying dead on a map for 30 minutes chatting with the other 11 dead people around me.

Edit: this may not even be old enough, but my memory isn't good enough to pick out amusing stories any further back lol.  :sob:

Edited by Alaska, 07 August 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#4 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

My friend sent me this screenie a long time ago o:

Stings leveling !! Also, getting ksed...

dph2Ra0.jpg

#5 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 07 August 2014 - 12:53 PM

I first heard about Ragnarok Online from my high school friends, who were part of iRO's beta test. Until then, I had never played a MMORPG before and my only exposure to interacting with online people was via AOL Instant Messenger. Still, my friends kept trying to get me to join them, but I couldn't start playing as the only computer I had access to was a shared family computer (Windows 98). I didn't start playing the game until I got a computer of my own (Windows XP) in 2005.

I remember logging in to the original Training Grounds and going through the motions to become a Thief. I met up with my high school friends, who then recruited me into their guild, Final Retribution.

As the years went by, my high school friends eventually stopped playing RO and I was eventually recruited into a WoE guild (don't remember the name). This is the guild in which all members were killed shortly after taking a castle, except for me who managed to Cloak my way through 5 Sighting Wizards and out of the castle unharmed. :3 Still think I suck at WoE.

ZZUxraK.jpg

#6 Necrohealiac

Necrohealiac

10,000 posts and not even a Tiki-Shirt.

• Members
  • 13389 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

My old pc with all my original screenshots is no longer on this earth, so unfortunately I don't have any pictures from when I first started :(

I first started playing this game in mid-2003, when a few of my classmates introduced me to the game, which would be my first experience with an MMORPG.  They were playing swordsman and thief, so I was the designated support and rolled an acolyte.  However, the FS life didn't appeal to me, so partway through I started allocating my stats to agi/str instead, and opted to go battle.  At the time 2-2 classes were not implemented, so little did I know that my true calling (in the form of the monk class!) was just on the horizon.

We never got to our 2-1 jobs before my friends lost interest and quit, but at that point I had fallen in love with the game.  I decided to move to a different server and started anew.  I remade an acolyte and was battle build from start to finish, changing to a monk which was in the game at this point.  I joined a guild and regularly participated in War of Emperium.  Once I hit 99, I made my second main, a wizard.  One of my favorite activities was vertical firewalling Ghostring and waterballing him to death on a regular basis in the Britoniah guild dungeon (This was before he started teleling every two seconds).

After transcendent classes came in, I went back to my monk, and started the long grind to champion.  Once I got to 99/70 (Occult Impact leveling in Turtle Island FTW), I would regularly attend parties in the insanity that was Bio3, helping guildies get some of their last base/jobs level.  A bunch of us would also go on an MVP killing spree, taking down anything that was up at that time, from GTB to Valkyrie.  We never did find any cards though :(

In early 2007 I quit because of RL, and just came back a few months ago.

#7 Damara

Damara

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

I got into the game when I was visiting my boyfriend at his college and saw one of his friends playing Ragnarok. I went home and ordered an install disk by mail. My brother and I convinced my mom to let us patch it for 3 days over dial-up without making a phone call.

I used to kill mushrooms and sell the red bloods and crystal blues to the NPC for zeny. We walked everywhere because we were broke. My first headgear aside from a purple ribbon was a kitty band that a bot left behind in Payon cave.

It took me two and a half months to level my first archer to job 40. The map 2 south of Morroc was full of hodes and we would cliff snipe them. I got stranded at the orc dungeon where people would be selling warps back to Prontera for 1000 zeny or a blue gem. We would all sit and talk while our sp regenerated, and there would be a slaughter when orc lord spawned. 

It took several tries to take the dancer test because I was on dial-up and the lag made it spit me out. My sister and I were so excited when I finally did it. In 2004 Juno was new and people used to stop me in the street and give me tips to play songs. I chose power chord and mental sensing because they made music (not all songs did), without realizing I had made an LoD build. =x  I never farmed it, but I did one time come across an LoD against one of the forts in Britoniah, being farmed by one priest and a herd of mages who were penning it in with fire wall. 

Smiths were super rare because getting one to job 50 was the biggest pain. We used to stalk Stook on old Chaos, who would vend outside the entrance to Izlude, because he was the first 99 smith we had ever seen and we took selfies with his afk body.

If I can find the disk where I stored my screenshots, I'll edit this.

Edit: Happy 10th ROniversary to me. My account was created 7/30/2004.

Edited by Damara, 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#8 davdbg

davdbg

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 691 posts
  • Server:chaos and classic(?)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

first time i heard abouth RO...A girl in mi school was making a gigant plasticine poring, i didn't know what was that soo I was aproaching to ask her, I'm not a smart/skilled person soo I stumbled and push her, the almost 1kg poring was drooped in my head and she laughed and say "bad luck it was a Pori Pori ("bring it on" the mvp poring) and not a regular poring"... we become friends and she introduce me RO and iRO... she left the game after 3 weeks but i keep playing for over 2 years.

big conga line (?)Random event 

2fOfmT.jpg

and yeah...i still remember that i was lefted in the altar >.> 

screenchaos022.jpg

#9 Facekiller

Facekiller

They pay me to post.

• Members
  • 9781 posts
  • Server:CHAOS

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:16 PM

oh my god... when i first started playing seems like forever ago... i started off originally with a swordsman... i found out about this game from an ad i found on a flash comic site... the screenshots kinda reminded me of old school RPGs and it had a 15 day free trial (which i used many times before i finally decided to cough up some dough)... so i started playing and i remember when i got my first hat... it was a unicorn horn... i eventually made it to sader and had NO clue what i was doing build wise... i didnt know about the forums or where to look anything up... i didnt know anybody in game... i was just doing my own thing... smacking greatest generals with a shield lol... the only information i had about gears and monsters was from the website... i eventually had to take a little break but came back again around the time of free to play... this time i made a thief and was going to make an assassin... but soon the ninja class was released and i ditched all my other characters to play the character i still play to this day... good times good times...

#10 inuko23

inuko23

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1182 posts
  • Server:Chaos, Odin (RO2)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 01:54 PM

I first heard about this game from my friends back in high school and I hadn't really known about MMORPGs before then. By the time I made an account for RO, my friends had moved on to other online games (one of them being ROSE Online haha) so I stuck with playing RO since I couldn't really play many games as we only had a Windows ME computer to use at home and dial up internet.

I made my first friend when I went to Payon Dungeon to train and we started up a conversation after he asked me what sword I was using and I ended up joining my first guild. Though I got kicked out of the guild later (because the leader didn't want someone in the guild who was a newbie and wasn't going to PvP), I joined another guild soon after and we had a lot of fun before the guild died out.

Over the next years, I played RO on and off whenever I could buy a 30 hour subscription (back when they still had them) and still playing occasionally to this day xD.    

Some old screenshots I still have xP

Spoiler

Edited by inuko23, 10 August 2014 - 11:48 AM.

#11 RaveMaster

RaveMaster

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4046 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

RHbumwt.jpg

Yggdrasil server

Spoiler

Some chaos screens

Spoiler

Edited by Legendario2300, 08 August 2014 - 11:31 AM.

#12 Talvis

Talvis

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1985 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Midwest
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

For me, I started RO back in early 2006.  I remember seeing some sprite images somewhere and became interested where they came from which lead me to trying out the game.  I started playing the 15 day trial on a swordsman since it seemed like something I would like playing.  I for some reason picked Loki as my server.  My original first character was named Trevis.  However, after playing for the trial I felt that I didn't have the time or interest to play so I ended up completely deleting my character and the client.  However, for some reason I stayed interested in the game and came back around 6 months later and recreated my swordsman and named him Talvis (currently my highest level character).  For a long time I mainly played solo only occasionally partying up with people.  I remember quickly learning about the South Prontera DB madness and I also learned not to go into the light in Geffen.  I was initially afraid to go too far into Sograt Desert because the npcs said it was dangerous, so I assumed it was high level territory (this was way before the Satan Morroc).  Oddly enough, my first guild invite was by accident.  I was leveling in Orc Dungeon 2 when I ran into a silenced alchemist.  I game them a green pot and they intended to give me a party invite so they could aid pot me, but instead they sent me a guild invite.  I stayed with them for a while but eventually left and at the same time quit the game.  I came back a month or so later and got into another guild which eventually led me into a WoE guild.  Over the next couple years I got involved with other guilds, occasionally WoEing.  I've taken a few breaks every now and then including my most recent which was around 2 years.

My time playing has been mostly a good one, though I do remember some bad times.  I've gotten to know a lot of people.  Most I would have never met had I not played this game, especially those from other countries on the other side of the world.  I've met one former guild mate and I have an opportunity in a couple months to meet a few more.  It should be fun. 

All and all, it's been fun and I currently plan on staying around.  Unfortunately I may have lost my oldest screenshots, but if I find them I will post a few.

#13 zoesensei

zoesensei

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 07 August 2014 - 03:54 PM

I started back in 2005 after i read teh first Ragnarok Mahwa and followed the link on tokyopop, as a Swordie named HaruYuki back on old Chaos. I had gotten a party together called The League of Extraordinary Peoples or TLEP (Because i had no idea how to make a guild), and we all scrapped up our zeny to get a 10k poring pet.... which ran away after 30 minutes because none of us had apple juice or knew what to feed it. Those were teh days when it took 5 days to get to lv 10 to get out of the novice battlegrounds.

yay.jpg

Edited by zoesensei, 07 August 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#14 scrunch3y

scrunch3y

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1254 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:27 PM

I came home from school one day in 2003 or so and my brother was downloading this game on our family-shared computer. Unfortunately, it didn't work because our graphics card wasn't strong enough. ]: After some poking and prodding, our dad purchased one that was good enough to handle RO! I remember killing a poring and having a tremendous amount of fun just picking loots up. I killed one fabre and it dropped an emerald that sold for a whopping 4000z !! I was amazed.

Beta ended and RO was open for real! My chars were wiped, unfortunately, but my brother and I had a game plan this time around! I'd be the healer and he would be the tanker/killer. There would be parties everywhere in Culverts and Geffen Dungeon 1 (Many Poison Spores were slain in the quest to be job 40) People who went for job 50 as a first class were strange and mythical creatures. We settled ourselves into a regular party, and we started a guild with the same people!

After awhile, Glast Heim was implemented and it was terrifying. I'd never seen monsters that strong before. @_@ Leveling was completely tedious until a good Samaritan on the old ro.pak0 forums posted a guide on how to get to Stings! I lived in Stings for years. <.<

My first WoE guild was Playmates on Loki and I adored it! I miss people from there like vaygrant, Decus, Ryanna, and Cyrus Maige. I quit around the time Transcendent classes were ingame and didn't come back to RO until a little after Renewal was implemented.

This was one of the first videos I had seen back then and I actually cried a little at the ending, lol!

Edited by scrunch3y, 07 August 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#15 RaveMaster

RaveMaster

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 4046 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

I came home from school one day in 2003 or so and my brother was downloading this game on our family-shared computer. Unfortunately, it didn't work because our graphics card wasn't strong enough. ]: After some poking and prodding, our dad purchased one that was good enough to handle RO! I remember killing a poring and having a tremendous amount of fun just picking loots up. I killed one fabre and it dropped an emerald that sold for a whopping 4000z !! I was amazed.

Beta ended and RO was open for real! My chars were wiped, unfortunately, but my brother and I had a game plan this time around! I'd be the healer and he would be the tanker/killer. There would be parties everywhere in Culverts and Geffen Dungeon 1 (Many Poison Spores were slain in the quest to be job 40) People who went for job 50 as a first class were strange and mythical creatures. We settled ourselves into a regular party, and we started a guild with the same people!

After awhile, Glast Heim was implemented and it was terrifying. I'd never seen monsters that strong before. @_@ Leveling was completely tedious until a good Samaritan on the old ro.pak0 forums posted a guide on how to get to Stings! I lived in Stings for years. <.<

My first WoE guild was Playmates on Loki and I adored it! I miss people from there like vaygrant, Decus, Ryanna, and Cyrus Maige. I quit around the time Transcendent classes were ingame and didn't come back to RO until a little after Renewal was implemented.

This was one of the first videos I had seen back then and I actually cried a little at the ending, lol!

i cried too  :sob:  the same history of me and tiffa... i miss you tiffa, tranks for all...!   :sob:

Edited by Legendario2300, 07 August 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#16 Chisami

Chisami

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • LocationCali
  • Server:Transcendence (currently)

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:05 PM

Oh my goodness! I am lucky I guess, because I do have many older screenies, too many to upload to a post. However, I will pick a few of them and can provide more if asked! I played Ragnarok in the beta. (alpha?) I remember that my PC was so cruddy that the ground in towns was all white. I decided it would be best to wait until I was able to get a better PC and I was lucky enough to start again right after the games release in the spring of 2003. I still play on that original account, although I have others from my experiences on Valkryie, years later. I played Chaos, Loki, Iris, Valkryie and now back on the Renewal server. On the night before the expansion that added the 2nd set of classes for the original characters, we lined up at the area where we knew the rogue guild would be after maintenance and waited. I still play that rogue to this day. Obviously, she's no longer a rogue ^^. 

I have fond memories of mag parties at GH Cross and many many sessions at Clock Tower and Toy Factory. I was just telling someone recently how incredibly awesome it was to finally reach level 99 in those days. It was so incredibly difficult, but it really felt wonderful and really meant something. I remember having parties to celebrate turning 99.

This screenshot was apty titled, "Freaking Funny"  (Taken: 8/2005)

Freakin-Funny.jpg

I also got a chuckle from this screenshot. Notice the merchant with the sign, "The End is Near!" (Taken: 9/2004)

Chuckle.jpg

This next screenshot was taken at a DB Party to celebrate my best friend turning 99 at Toy Factory (Taken: 9/2005)

Ichi99DB.jpg

Although I'd love to post more shots, (I have shots of GM gatherings, a GM castle battle, GH Cross pics, etc) I'll stop here to keep the post from growing any larger. Suffice it to say that Ragnarok has brought me so many good times and good memories over the years. I have made some very good friends as well. Thanks iRO!

#17 fuyukikun

fuyukikun

Disney Prince in Disguise

• Members
  • 12269 posts
  • LocationIndonesia
  • Server:Chaos, on hiatus

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:32 PM

i played this game back in 2004 in idRO when that server still use vouches to buy game time. i was in junior high, i often visited net cafe back when my internet not yet installed at my home.

i only play 1 account and 1 char, it was acolyte and turned monk. it took forever to reach level 98. i solo my first and only MVP, Amon Ra. back when he was not immobile and he had highest HP among all monster (1,9m HP) when other MVP only have 100-300k HP.
it took me 30mins to finish, i just doing combos (raging trifecta did 1,2k damage, raging quadruple 1,5k). i healed myself using heal lv 10.
it was in 2005, then i made an alchemist, i become an alchemist at level 30 since i grinded on leaf cats that gave job exp but no base exp. people didnt believe me i reached 2nd job with very low base level. then i make plant bottles and level killing bio 2 monsters. i just hiding and let those parasites did the job, it was before teleporting when rude attacked implemented. it was in 2006. then the server started being a nightmare. bots everywhere, server changed to free to play but with horrible features. cheats and the GM started to milk money frm kafra shop items and imbalanced items introduced.
then i played less and less until i quitted at 2008.

at 2010, i joined iRO. played and quitted again. played again at december 2013 until now.

memories? of course there are so many. happy old days

Edited by fuyukikun, 07 August 2014 - 05:36 PM.

#18 Henshin

Henshin

I am New.

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

I'm getting married next Saturday. I first met my fiance in Archer Village (Payon) in 2004. Back when it was the cool place to hang out and kill zombies.
We became friends and guildies, hunted for cards and MVPs together. Started dating some time after and then she became my soul mate :)
RO is a big part of our lives.

#19 Aedis

Aedis

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Playing:Nothing
  • Server:Nothing

Posted 07 August 2014 - 07:31 PM

Actually hated Ragnarok back at 2005 and kept making fun of my friend for playing it cause it looks lame [2D characters]. Went to my cousin's house to spend summer and they made me play it and i got instant addicted to it, made an Assassin and was farming clips from alarms to sell.

We go to bed early so we can be awake for later and leave home around 2:00 AM and we all go to an Internet Cafe and play from 2-5 AM, Cant forget those times when we have to sneak out very very quietly at early morning just to play the game i once hated.

Took 6 years again to play RO and it was 2011, soo much things change and i got amazed by Third Classes first time i saw one, been spending Gamecards since then to gear character only to rage quit/take break every year since 2011, I kept on rage quitting and giving away gears/account for the last 3 years and i still kept coming back. Probably spent around 4-5k bucks on this game since i started, selling and using Wpe.

Edited by Aedis, 07 August 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#20 Damara

Damara

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

I was in Playmates too. How I got there was pretty funny. I used to work at Hastings, and my friend asked me what games I played, and I was trying to explain RO and my coworker Shannon turned around and was like "Wait, what server? Loki?" and we fist bumped. 

So that's how I met Shannon! in real life.

#21 kijudoav

kijudoav

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • Server:both.

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:38 AM

wonder what happened to Aragan...

#22 ZeroTigress

ZeroTigress

My Offline Life is Nonexistent.

• RO1 Member
  • 15204 posts
  • Server:Sakray->Iris->Ymir->Chaos

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

wonder what happened to Aragan...

He recovered from his cancer last I checked.

http://trevmun.deviantart.com/

#23 Trance3D2Y

Trance3D2Y

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Server:Renewal Chaos

Posted 10 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

Ragnarok Online was the first online game in my country, and it was really popular during my pre-teenage to teenage years (the average player on the Chaos server on pRO was around 10,000, I'M NOT LYING). My friend was a beta-tester (more like 'claims', now that I'm older I doubt it) and he introduced it to our group. But I was just an elementary student way back then so I can only play at most 2hrs per day on an internet cafe near our home. I had to budget my allowance and not eat during meal time just to play this game and buy the prepaid card needed to access the game (it was not FREE TO PLAY back then). So you can say that my pace back then is really really slow, I have to work hard just to earn 1% exp.

Upon entering high school, I have to quit because (1) the Juno patch was introduced but my main character, which is a Priest, is only lvl 75 and (2) I was hacked by my friend who introduced this game to me, resulting to depression. After quitting, I often play on high rate private server every now and then but not too serious. Now that I'm on my last year in college, I'm playing this game to do some things I haven't done back then: experience WoE, kill MVP, reach max lvl. BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, FOR NOSTALGIA PURPOSES.

Here's the pic of my old main char, this is my 2nd priest. The first one reached 70+ ish too, but he's job lvl 40 only so I have to make another one.

250727_1893633474352_2082849_n.jpg

EDIT: one experience I'll never forget is when the first time I reached 10M zeny, I decided to spend it on OBBs cause a friend told me it's a good gamble. I was able to get a Spiky Band and some good items and that 10M multiplied into 50M. I repeated that cycle many times and that's how I earned my items above which can be considered as 'middle-class'/'relatively rich' back then. Me and my friends would turn off the monitor and press the OBB hotkey button and be surprised/devastated/happy on what equips we would get. Fun times, and ohh I'm writing this stuff after drinking two bottles of beer at 4:49AM in the morning.

Edited by Trance3D2Y, 10 August 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#24 Maugrey

Maugrey

I am New.

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hello Oda and everyone here.

I'm no longer playing Ragnarok, but I had so much fun on this game that I wanted to share with you some memories from good old days.

The first time I heard about Ragnarok Online was in 2002 on a French blog. Yeah, I'm French, so please forgive me for my bad English.
Damn, 2002, 12 years ago. I was 20 years old.

On this blog, I saw some nice screenshots and artwork about a new game called Ragnarok Online.
The artworks were cute, and I really liked the old-school design of the game.
And then, I went on a French fansite, RO-Evolution, for more information.

At this time the game was in open beta 1. No second class, and a lot of differences with the nowadays RO.
I started with an archer on the Loki server, but this beta closed few weeks after.
After this, I kept me updated and heard about a second open beta few months later during the summer.
But unfortunately, this second beta was only opened during a month.
In September, I went back to university, with no internet connection T_T Thus I wasn't able to play on the next closed beta.

...until May 2003 and the opening of a new open beta.
My archer on Loki was wiped, so I created a new one.
And there is my first screenshot on iRO as a novice.
screenLoki000.jpg

One month later, iRO goes on P2P mode, my summer vacations begin, and I started to really play the game.

My first "stat screenshot" :
screenLoki006.jpg
Yeah, 9 str... and 3 vit... Newbie mistake...

After so much time at elder willows, my sakkat:
screenLoki016.jpg

And finally, after reaching job level 40, I change my job to Hunter (there was no change quest)... 3 times... Only the veterans remember that iRO did 2 rollbacks at the end of June due to hacking issues. And so, my hunter was rollbacked 2 times into archer.
But thanks to this, as compensation, Gravity decided to implement the slot sunglasses quest during few weeks, and a stat reset during August which allows me to remove my str and vit.

And now, serious business. Let's go to January 2014, the beginning of War of Emperium.

Lapis guild, almost full of 99, are preparing for the first woe:
screenLoki020.jpg

I created a guild few months ago, and one of our French allies took a castle:
screenLoki028.jpg

Obviously, being French wasn't a good idea for WoE. The time schedule was very hard. Midnight on the Wednesday, and 4am-6am on the Sunday morning.
It was really difficult to motivate people.
That's why we decided to create a full dedicated french WoE Guild: Novae Inflammo.

Our first castle:
screenLoki387.jpg

At many times, we or our allies Tree of Light got a castle. Mostly at Prontera, but sometimes at Payon.

We also did a huge takeover on Prontera, a "massive Prontera takeover" as called by others. Well, not exactly.
During a big server crash/lag, one of our knight managed to stay connected. He was almost the only one on the valkyrie realm. So he went through each castle, and decided to had some fun.

TOL and us succeed to keep Kriemhild during one month. That was amazing.
screenLoki672.jpg
screenLoki701.jpg
We were also allied with others French guilds. They really helped us a lot, even if they were smaller.

But due to the times, there were less and less people on the sunday woe.
screenLoki713.jpg
Yeah, trapping is all my life.

And one day, the TSO (The Shiny Ones) get bored of Al De Baran and decided to move out. But before that, they decided to break the eco in all castles through midgard, included their own eco.
Few minutes before we lost our castle:
screenLoki737.jpg
TSO, Eternal Asura, Playmates and Gaia. Honestly, just one of them would be enough to destroy us.

After this event, we never be able to kept a castle more than 3 or 4 days, but continue to did great jobs with our allies. Unfortunately, with less and less people.

More than one year after creating my archer, I finaly reached the level 99.
screenLoki909.jpg

We celebrate this with a DB party, and Baphomet as a guest.
screenLoki912.jpg

And then, euRO came out. Many of my guildmates decide to join this European server when Loki opened, and continue the Novae adventure there. I decided to stay on iRO and continue to play my own adventure.

Another great moment of this adventure, my wedding in RO.
Before the wedding system.
screenLoki1201.jpg
And with the wedding system.
screenLoki1361.jpg

And almost 10 years after, we are still together.

I have much more memories of this game, but that was the early years.

Thanks for reading me, and as a bonus, some other stuff.

One of the first video I saw about RO.
http://www.newground...tal/view/121340

A tribute to Novae Inflammo, made by THE knight (the one of the "massive takeover" incident).

Let's have some fun with bots:
screenLoki072.jpg

Looks like an event is about to start in old payon:
screenLoki251.jpg

Happy first birthday iRO:
screenLoki691.jpg

Baphomet just get bang:
screenLoki992.jpg

#25 KyleZeGoon

KyleZeGoon

I am New.

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 03:33 AM

Good old RO, is it still alive?

Was all about WoE when I played, this is one of the older screenshots I could find of mine - battling it out at Brit.

RO still makes me nostalgic thinking about the shenanighans that used to go on, good old times.

screenChaos047.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users