September Caption Contest (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧ ***Winners Posted*** - Page 5 - **Community Contests and Events** - WarpPortal Community Forums

Photo

September Caption Contest (ノ´ヮ´)ノ*:・゚✧ ***Winners Posted***

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
178 replies to this topic

#101 escod

escod

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 08:15 AM

Oh if it was more of a suggestion than a rule i'll submit all of it : D Goodluck everyone else!

Oh, I meant your first part itself was over 5-6 lines, but you can't enter the whole thing. Captions are generally short!

@everyone you don't have to comment on everything <: you can just make one clever statement about one part.

Pick one of those!

It's not really that confusing. You can enter a caption or picture with captions. It can be long (to a point), but it's probably more effective to have it shorter. It can be about one part or the entire picture. That's what I got from it at least.

I understood it the same way Tigra. But look where Sapphic told the poster to "pick one" of the dialogues to enter. (o_O). After that, people still enter multiple dialogues and say enter them all as one entry. The majority of entries from everyone has been of multiple dialogues. Not sure if it's ok or not because it seems as though Sapphic gave devaiah a choice... Unless she was being sarcastic but I doubt it. (O_o) (@_@) 

Edited by escod, 28 September 2014 - 08:19 AM.

#102 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts
  • Playing:Ragnarok Online

Posted 28 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

Well, I assumed those captions had no relation to each other lol, but if he wants to enter it as a full caption to work together, then I have no problems with it.

Last day to enter!

Edited by Sapphic, 28 September 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#103 escod

escod

I made it Off Topic

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Well, I assumed those captions had no relation to each other lol, but if he wants to enter it as a full caption to work together, then I have no problems with it.

Last day to enter!

Ohhhh ok. Thank you for clearing things up for me Sapphic. I get confused so easily lol.

#104 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:02 PM

Ohhhh ok. Thank you for clearing things up for me Sapphic. I get confused so easily lol.

No problem!

#105 Akupuff

Akupuff

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 2790 posts
  • Twitter:@akupuff
  • LocationMexico
  • Server:Chaos

Posted 28 September 2014 - 03:29 PM

Had fun with this :D

Q2DSrSJ.png

#106 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 11:46 PM

All entries have been put in the second post. Contest is over! I will double check tomorrow if I missed anyone.

#107 amarande

amarande

Amateur Blogger

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:26 AM

uuuum youve got my entry wrong D:.... i changed it on the 3rd page back on the 19th september ...it was ..

SOHEE: "I MUST HAVE TEH FLUFFIES!!!"

GENETIS: "Buy a sohee egg they said.... so cute they said.... just don't hurt my vani T_T"

9qgydc.jpg

Edited by amarande, 29 September 2014 - 04:27 AM.

#108 Perezoso15

Perezoso15

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationGironland~
  • Server:Valk->Chaos

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

Im still a bit confused here, the first entries were told to be shortened or they wouldnt qualify but i see entries that qualified in the 2nd post being much longer than the others.

#109 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

uuuum youve got my entry wrong D:.... i changed it on the 3rd page back on the 19th september ...it was ..

SOHEE: "I MUST HAVE TEH FLUFFIES!!!"
GENETIS: "Buy a sohee egg they said.... so cute they said.... just don't hurt my vani T_T"

Apologies! I edited it.

Im still a bit confused here, the first entries were told to be shortened or they wouldnt qualify but i see entries that qualified in the 2nd post being much longer than the others.

That was me correcting people who got confused by my rules, but this contest is going to judge captions by its entireity, so if people want to submit captions with that many lines they are free to do so (I feel I've clarified the rules enough at this point). However, all the lines will be treated as 1 full entry rather than many separate captions.

#110 Perezoso15

Perezoso15

Too Legit To Quit

• Members
  • 1041 posts
  • LocationGironland~
  • Server:Valk->Chaos

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

Mind submitting all the ones i posted as 1 full entry then? That was my intention at first.

I apologize for the trouble!

#111 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:53 AM

Mind submitting all the ones i posted as 1 full entry then? That was my intention at first.

I apologize for the trouble!

Done!

#112 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts
  • Server:Ymir

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:57 AM

So first you rejected entries of people because they had many captions in one entry, but once somebody did it in a picture, which you even said that you don't accept pictures, it's all okay. Seems legit.

#113 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:05 AM

So first you rejected entries of people because they had many captions in one entry, but once somebody did it in a picture, which you even said that you don't accept pictures, it's all okay. Seems legit.

As I said - it was clear people were misunderstanding my rules so I clarified them when people were submitting a bunch of captions together that seemed to make no sense together. I told Oda to treat long entries as ONE caption so that he does not pick and choose one line from them since my rule states you only get one caption to enter.

I accepted pictures because it doesn't really matter - the judging content is going to be through the writing. If you have a problem with it, you can complain to Oda about how I am handling the event or host your own caption contest - but I did not expect so many entries that went beyond just a few lines of text and I feel it was better to just let people do what they want and have Oda judge whatever he likes.

I do 0% of the judging, I am just trying to keep people in the parameters of what I expected. I was not rejecting entries so much as clarifying the intent of my rules.

It is an event for funsies and nothing else.

#114 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:09 AM

At first you said no thing about many captions in one entry, I don't think you even said anything about it, you only asked to keep it short but stated it's more of a guideline than a rule - and still asked people to make their captions shorter, pick one and so on. And you clearly stated no pictures. Why were you correcting every single person with a long caption/multiple ones in one entry where it wasn't an actual rule, while you didn't reject anybody who submitted it in form of a picture where you clearly said you are not accepting any?

#115 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:16 AM

At first you said no thing about many captions in one entry, I don't think you even said anything about it, you only asked to keep it short but stated it's more of a guideline than a rule - and still asked people to make their captions shorter, pick one and so on. And you clearly stated no pictures. Why were you correcting every single person with a long caption/multiple ones in one entry where it wasn't an actual rule, while you didn't reject anybody who submitted it in form of a picture where you clearly said you are not accepting any?

My rule was there from the start about no multi-captions, it was just worded a bit confusingly as I thought people would want to make extra captions just for fun (like the limerick contest). It was mistaken to be that people can write as many captions as they want and enter them all separately - which I did not want at all. I wanted strictly one caption per person. I corrected that at the time. Since I don't think I can make that rule any more clear, if someone wants to enter a 20 line caption they can and it is up to Oda to pick that caption for ALL 20 lines together. I only asked people to pick lines, because it looked like a bunch of separate captions rather than one full caption.

My image rule was basically so that people did not pad their writing with outside images, but all the "images" are just the original image itself which does not give anyone an advantage - Oda is not going to pick something based on how QT the font is or the fact that he can see the image... again.

#116 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

No, no, no. Everybody I saw who wrote many captions wanted to submit them all as one entry. Not every caption as multiple entries.

Many captions - all combined into one entry. Not 5 captions - 5 entries.

Such inconsistency surely is driving people away from joining.

#117 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

It's because it's hard on the host if people write very long "captions"

If you want to nitpick, your friend, Perezoso15, wrote what pretty much what constitutes as a short story.

This whole thing is a learning experience to have better events. Hosts take their own time to host and then compile the results.

You get nothing in return for doing it either, it's just to have some fun within the community.

I think the host decided to allow pictures because it's easier and you can't really express what you're trying to convey with just text.

When there's no definitive rules, things can change. It's more of a quality of life change than anything else. It doesn't diminish the work put in by anyone and makes the hosts job easier and makes future events better for everyone.

I mean no disrespect either. I do feel like you should have PMed the host though, instead of sounding angry and ranting here.

If you're interested in hosting events and think you could do better, PM Oda.

This is for the good of the community, so try not to be so serious and have some fun.

Edited by Myzery, 29 September 2014 - 10:23 AM.

#118 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:26 AM

I'm bringing up inconsistency of the rules and accepted entries. Is there much of a difference if such "short story", as you called it, is put on a picture (where a picture shouldn't even be allowed at all!) or is just posted as a plain text? If not, why one was accepted, where it should have been rejected in the first place for not following the rules at all, and other was only accepted after bringing up the inconsistency?

Edit:

And what about other people who at first submitted longer captions? Are you going to allow their longer ones into one entry as well? I'm sure most if not all of them intended the same.

Edited by rodezja, 29 September 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#119 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

No, no, no. Everybody I saw who wrote many captions wanted to submit them all as one entry. Not every caption as multiple entries.

Many captions - all combined into one entry. Not 5 captions - 5 entries.

Such inconsistency surely is driving people away from joining.

I took it at the time that entry =! one caption - whereas one entry meant as long as they stuffed 40 captions in there, it is ONE entry, but 40 chances to get picked. I corrected that. That is the impression I got at the time - people are free to correct me on that or ask to have everything they wrote submitted as one long caption.

It is a one time contest and one that does not take much outside effort to do and that just gives more chances to those who have entered. I don't really mind if someone joins or not, I just want the people that do join to enjoy it. If you or anyone you know is upset by the inconsistencies/problems in any of my events, feel free to PM Oda and complain or host your own with the problems fixed. It is not difficult to start these. It is too late to go back and re-clarify my rules from the start, but if I do another caption contest I will know better to set stricter rules if I want something a certain way. Many of my friends don't participate either, because they just don't want to and that is okay. There are many entries this month regardless and I hope they all had fun thinking up captions.

At the end of the day though, the real goal is to write something Oda will get a kick out of more than anything else.

#120 Myzery

Myzery

They pay me to post.

• Banned
  • 6670 posts
  • Playing:Nothing

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:34 AM

I'm bringing up inconsistency of the rules and accepted entries. Is there much of a difference if such "short story", as you called it, is put on a picture (where a picture shouldn't even be allowed at all!) or is just posted as a plain text? If not, why one was accepted, where it should have been rejected in the first place for not following the rules at all, and other was only accepted after bringing up the inconsistency?

Edit:

And what about other people who at first submitted longer captions? Are you going to allow their longer ones into one entry as well? I'm sure most if not all of them intended the same.

I was a bit confused at first too. Hell, I even asked in the thread on page 2 I think?

That pretty much cleared things up for me.

Some people didn't state that it was a solid one entry. Usually captions are short (that's the definition of a caption)

Going off of the last writing based contest, people entered multiple things, but were only allowed ONE in the end.

That's where to confusion came from. The host was unclear on some of the entries (if they were multiple or just one long entry)

What I think the host meant about the pictures is that she didn't want people to add outside content.

Like adding a troll face on the shadow chaser for example. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I interpreted it.

#121 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Fine, if it's really such a confusing thing for you - the longer captions, let's leave it. But why are you accepting people who obviously broke the rules? Why is longer caption okay once it is put on a picture? I thought the rules were there to follow them... Not as a pretty thing to put there so your opening post doesn't look to empty.

No images/emotes or anything, I'm going to list all the captions in pure text form for easier judging.

If I wanted to, I would have asked about hosting an event myself, thank you. I simply don't think I can host it well enough. And if somebody can't follow their own rules, I think they should reconsider that, too.

#122 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:36 AM

Edit:

I will tell Oda to push back judging one week so people have a chance to tell me if their long entries were intended to be together. I have no issues with putting them in at all if that is what they want.

Fine, if it's really such a confusing thing for you - the longer captions, let's leave it. But why are you accepting people who obviously broke the rules? Why is longer caption okay once it is put on a picture? I thought the rules were there to follow them... Not as a pretty thing to put there so your opening post doesn't look to empty.

If I wanted to, I would have asked about hosting an event myself, thank you. I simply don't think I can host it well enough. And if somebody can't follow their own rules, I think they should reconsider that, too.

I feel I already explained this, but I'll say it again - a lot of people padded images onto their limericks. I did not want to see the same thing on a caption which is why that rule was in place. However, people putting text on the original image gives no actual advantage in any way and it was easier to just put them in as is.

The longer captions rule was a guideline, but I felt at the end it was better to not stifle creativity and let the judging go as people intended.

The only correction was because I did not want people to submit multi-captions.

There's nothing more for me to clarify at this time.

Edited by Sapphic, 29 September 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#123 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:42 AM

I was a bit confused at first too. Hell, I even asked in the thread on page 2 I think?
That pretty much cleared things up for me.
Some people didn't state that it was a solid one entry. Usually captions are short (that's the definition of a caption)
Going off of the last writing based contest, people entered multiple things, but were only allowed ONE in the end.
That's where to confusion came from. The host was unclear on some of the entries (if they were multiple or just one long entry)

What I think the host meant about the pictures is that she didn't want people to add outside content.
Like adding a troll face on the shadow chaser for example. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's how I interpreted it.

This is correct.

#124 rodezja

rodezja

Awarded #1 Troll

• Members
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:46 AM

So basically as long as enough people break a rule we can continue to freely break it with no punishment at all? You said no pictures. You said plain text only. Yet you accepted all the pictures. Why? Can you simply answer me one question - why are you not rejecting people who didn't follow the rules? Changing rules in a middle of contest, or, even better, after you can't submit any more entries is not something a trustworthy hoster should be doing. You stated a rule, people didn't follow it - simply make them take the consequences.

#125 Sapphic

Sapphic

Too Legit To Quit

• RO Fungineering
  • 2660 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:53 AM

So basically as long as enough people break a rule we can continue to freely break it with no punishment at all? You said no pictures. You said plain text only. Yet you accepted all the pictures. Why? Can you simply answer me one question - why are you not rejecting people who didn't follow the rules? Changing rules in a middle of contest, or, even better, after you can't submit any more entries is not something a trustworthy hoster should be doing. You stated a rule, people didn't follow it - simply make them take the consequences.

I accepted them midway through which gave people plenty of time to edit theirs into pictures if they wished. As I said - I did not want outside pictures.

I am not going to reject entries and make people upset or write it all out in plain text, since they wanted it seen that way. It is not an advantage, so I accepted it. People can take the extra week to turn them all into image macros - Oda will not care while judging.

I am not sure why you are so adamant on trying to disqualify half the entries for simply putting their text on the original image. You are adding weight to what I am saying. That is my opinion on the pictures - I am not stating that rule breaking is okay, but that rule was modified halfway through. My mistake was not changing it in the opening post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users